- This should go without saying, but you MUST have your bootloader unlocked (check OEM UNLOCK in developer options AND fastboot oem unlock). If you don't, you will probably brick your phone.
- If you deviate from this procedure, and think: "I can just skip a step, or I can do this on my own Linux install". Don't complain if you brick your phone.
- You need to grab FWUL (version 2.7 or later) and burn it to a USB stick: link
Even if you have Linux, and you think you can install the dependencies, don't. I know this works from FWUL.
PROCEDURE PART 1: Installing TWRP
- Boot from your FWUL USB stick. If your PC has secureboot enabled, you will have to disable it in BIOS
- Put your phone into download mode. With the phone powered off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable. You do not need to touch the power button -- the phone will power on and enter download mode.
- Once booted, login. The password is: linux
- Double click the LG folder that is on the desktop
- Double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d) icon and you will be at a terminal prompt.
The following are the commands that you enter into that terminal. You can copy / paste them if you like.
git pull git checkout v10-miscwrte ./step1.sh
If you don't know what to do with TWRP, and you just want to run rooted stock, this is for you....
First boot into TWRP - with the phone off, hold vol down and power at the same time. The second the LG logo appears, release power for a split second, then then press and hold power again (you never let go of vol down).
When you get a screen asking you to factory reset, you can let go of both buttons. hit vol down to select yes -- two times -- this will take you to TWRP.
PROCEDURE PART 2: Rooting and cleanup
Now that you are in TWRP:
If you ran step2.sh you have TWRP on recovery, and you are rooted. If you only ran step1.sh, then you have TWRP on recovery. Either way, enjoy!
- Lekensteyn -- His base work on the G2 / G3 gave me a GREAT headstart!
- @steadfasterX - He added some real nice features, great guy to bounce ideas off, and just testing crazy ideas because he wasn't afraid to brick his phone Also, for FWUL
- tuxuser - Helping with my lacking in Python
- @smitel - His original reverse engineering of LG UP. Great inspiration!