FORUMS

[ROOT] H901 even on Nougat

2,656 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,198

By runningnak3d, Recognized Developer on 5th April 2018, 11:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
WARNING
  • This should go without saying, but you MUST have your bootloader unlocked (check OEM UNLOCK in developer options AND fastboot oem unlock). If you don't, you will probably brick your phone.
  • If you deviate from this procedure, and think: "I can just skip a step, or I can do this on my own Linux install". Don't complain if you brick your phone.

PREREQUISITES:
  • You need to grab FWUL (version 2.7 or later) and burn it to a USB stick: link
    Even if you have Linux, and you think you can install the dependencies, don't. I know this works from FWUL.

PROCEDURE PART 1: Installing TWRP
  • Boot from your FWUL USB stick. If your PC has secureboot enabled, you will have to disable it in BIOS
  • Put your phone into download mode. With the phone powered off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable. You do not need to touch the power button -- the phone will power on and enter download mode.
  • Once booted, login. The password is: linux
  • Double click the LG folder that is on the desktop
  • Double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d) icon and you will be at a terminal prompt.
    The following are the commands that you enter into that terminal. You can copy / paste them if you like.
Code:
git pull
git checkout v10-miscwrte
./step1.sh
When you are told to, pull the USB cable, and the phone will power off. You now have TWRP installed. At this point you can flash a ROM, or Magisk or whatever you like.

OPTIONAL:
If you don't know what to do with TWRP, and you just want to run rooted stock, this is for you....
First boot into TWRP - with the phone off, hold vol down and power at the same time. The second the LG logo appears, release power for a split second, then then press and hold power again (you never let go of vol down).
When you get a screen asking you to factory reset, you can let go of both buttons. hit vol down to select yes -- two times -- this will take you to TWRP.

PROCEDURE PART 2: Rooting and cleanup
Now that you are in TWRP:
  • ./step2.sh

If you ran step2.sh you have TWRP on recovery, and you are rooted. If you only ran step1.sh, then you have TWRP on recovery. Either way, enjoy!

CREDITS:
  • Lekensteyn -- His base work on the G2 / G3 gave me a GREAT headstart!
  • @steadfasterX - He added some real nice features, great guy to bounce ideas off, and just testing crazy ideas because he wasn't afraid to brick his phone Also, for FWUL
  • tuxuser - Helping with my lacking in Python
  • @smitel - His original reverse engineering of LG UP. Great inspiration!

-- Brian
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to runningnak3d For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th April 2018, 12:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,339

Donate to Me
More
Entering recovery [ READ THIS ]
To enter recovery power off the phone then hold both the down volume and power at the same time. When you see the black LG screen briefly release the power button and then press it again while not letting the volume down up.

You will see a screen asking if you want to delete all user settings. Say YES
You will see a screen asking if you want to delete all user data. Say YES
You will briefly see the black LG bootup screen.
TWRP or factory recovery will load.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for remembering the V10 users!

For those wondering, to get into download mode power off your phone then hold down volume up at the same time as you are plugging in the usb cable. It should go into download mode. [I recently installed twrp to the laf partition so I have it in two places...if somehow my main twrp gets wiped out I can still get to it via download mode.]

Might be worth mentioning once booted up into TWRP magisk is the preferred root method since it provides modules to add xposed and can help pass safetynet so android pay/pokemon go continue to work even while rooted.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

Magisk also has alot of REALLY nice modules to add all sorts of features to our vanilla rom including methods to debloat all the t-mobile and LG apps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to famewolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift famewolf Ad-Free
6th April 2018, 12:33 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Thanks Meter: 2,294

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningnak3d

WARNING

This should go without saying, but

Thanks for the effort and time! Much appreciated. Too bad I'm not in FL to see about this beers!

Will be back later after my virgin V10 (100% stock nougat) sacrifice is complete...

Sent from my LG-H901 using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYLimited For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYLimited Ad-Free
6th April 2018, 01:02 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Largo

Donate to Me
More
Just a heads up -- you can always flash again if it fails, but if you want to check before you reboot, you can run:
./partitions.py --dump test.img recovery
sha256sum test.img and compare it to the hash of TWRP.

Flashing via this method has no retries, so if there is noise on the cable or the bus, you will have a bad flash.

-- Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to runningnak3d For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th April 2018, 01:04 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Getting an error on the vdi..
Code:
This download file is not currently available (it was deleted or disabled).
Is the referenced file the same as this one?

Code:
FWUL_v2.3_x86_64_15GB.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to NYLimited For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYLimited Ad-Free
6th April 2018, 01:09 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just a heads up -- you can always flash again if it fails, but if you want to check before you reboot, you can run:
./partitions.py --dump test.img recovery
sha256sum test.img and compare it to the hash of TWRP.

Flashing via this method has no retries, so if there is noise on the cable or the bus, you will have a bad flash.

-- Brian

Why not add an auto hash check post flash with a prompt to reflash if they don't match?
That is if you plan to customize it or use the generic lglaf.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLimited

Code:

Some alternatives here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ssues-t3526755
6th April 2018, 01:14 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

Thanks for remembering the V10 users!

Might be worth mentioning once booted up into TWRP magisk is the preferred root method since it provides modules to add xposed and can help pass safetynet so android pay/pokemon go continue to work even while rooted.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

Magisk also has alot of REALLY nice modules to add all sorts of features to our vanilla rom including methods to debloat all the t-mobile and LG apps.

Agreed and let's not forget that SuperSU development seems to have stalled since Chanfire moved on...
6th April 2018, 01:44 AM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Largo

Donate to Me
More
Sorry about that, I had to upload a version that did hash checks. I will update the link now.

-- Brian
6th April 2018, 01:51 AM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Largo

Donate to Me
More
@famewolf There are a LOT of things that I am going to add. This will eventually be a full blown replacement for LG UP with ARB checking, etc.

LG is getting ready to relate Oreo for the V20, so I wanted to get it out there ASAP.

-- Brian
6th April 2018, 02:15 AM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

@famewolf There are a LOT of things that I am going to add. This will eventually be a full blown replacement for LG UP with ARB checking, etc.

LG is getting ready to relate Oreo for the V20, so I wanted to get it out there ASAP.

-- Brian

Are you planning to make an oreo available for the V10 or at least willing to work with a few of us on it? I'm not sure what would have to be changed to allow a v20 rom to run for us or if there is a closer match now that nougat can be rooted.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote:

Are you planning to make an oreo available for the V10 or at least willing to work with a few of us on it? I'm not sure what would have to be changed to allow a v20 rom to run for us or if there is a closer match now that nougat can be rooted.

Oh you may want to implement automatic backup of recovery or laf prior to flashing a new one...maybe with a timestamp in filename so multiple revisions can be saved....that way for example someone could go back to normal download mode. I wrote some shell scripts that run under twrp or rooted system and allow you to backup all the partitions to images on the microsd and then pull them via adb to the pc. Something similar might be worthwhile for a backup option. I'm excellent with suggestions of hard work for others. ;P
6th April 2018, 02:35 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLimited

Quote:

Some alternatives here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ssues-t3526755

I grabbed the 15 and 32 GB persistent files but they need to be converted from .img to .vdi which takes a while... I suppose I could post the converted file for d/l if anyone wants them.

Also, VirtualBox did NOT give me Arch Linux 64 bit option (only 32 bit)..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)