FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Is Quick Charge 3.0 supported?

156 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By Josh H., Senior Member on 9th August 2016, 03:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have read that QC 3.0 will be supported since the Qualcomm 820 supports it. But, the S7/edge has the same processor and only supported QC 2.0. Any ideas?

9th August 2016, 04:01 PM |#2  
Don't think so...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
9th August 2016, 04:40 PM |#3  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,185

More
It's confusing. The Note7 has a different Adaptive Fast Charger than earlier Samsung phones. The Note7's charger is 12V, 2.1A while the Note5 and S7-series chargers output 9V, 1.67A . QC 2.0 supports a maximum of 2A and works with 5, 9, and 12 volt chargers. Qualcomm's website lists the Note7 as a Quick Charge 2.0 device. So why did Samsung upgrade the charger output? With QC 2.0 maxing out at 2A they could have introduced 12V with the S7-series as there's no USB-C requirement or benefit on 2.0. Maybe Samsung moved from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 on the Note7 which may have an impact.

So like I said it's confusing. But with a higher output charging adapter and the Note7's assumed ability to accept that higher output you'd have to assume it'll charge faster than the S7-series. Even on QC 2.0 if Qualcomm's website is right. I guess we'll find out more when a more tech focused site like Anandtech and GSMArena do their full testing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BarryH_GEG Ad-Free
10th August 2016, 02:43 AM |#4  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 2,596

Donate to Me
More
I plan to test it out using my inline USB multimeter that records data and sends it to my PC. Once my Note 7 gets here I'll run some tests assuming I'm not too busy at work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pilz Ad-Free
10th August 2016, 02:50 AM |#5  
Hoffman Estates, IL
Thanks Meter: 463

More
I doubt it. Samsung likes to use their own.
11th August 2016, 10:40 PM |#6  
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi

I doubt it. Samsung likes to use their own.

It doesn't matter what Samsung calls it they're still using Qualcomm quick charge
11th August 2016, 10:42 PM |#7  
Hoffman Estates, IL
Thanks Meter: 463

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz

It doesn't matter what Samsung calls it they're still using Qualcomm quick charge

It does if you plug in a "qualcomm" charger and the phone doesn't identify it and use the fast charge or vice versa.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
11th August 2016, 10:43 PM |#8  
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi

It does if you plug in a "qualcomm" charger and the phone doesn't identify it and use the fast charge or vice versa.

It doesn't because Samsung's adaptive fast charging is just QC 2.0 like it was on the S7/S7 Edge. I thoroughly tested mine with a variety of QC 2.0/3.0 chargers a while back.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)