Samsung Smart Switch? Transfer apps and app data?

Search This thread

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
Hey,

I'm looking to swap to Note 7. I've always been accustomed to root and have all my phones backup with Titanium backup. The app allows me to backup all data including the data of each app. I would like to switch to the new Note, but have certain apps which I want to preserve the data for. For example, I used Naver LINE app (chat), Whatsapp, and WeChat which has some chat data which I want to transfer over. With Titanium Backup, I can do this without problem. Will Smart Switch be able to move everything or will it just transfer the app, but I loose the data?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Smart switch has not been able to do this for me. It just copies the app and it takes forever. I have to use helium. But you need to buy the premium version though as the free version is limited.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
Smart switch has not been able to do this for me. It just copies the app and it takes forever. I have to use helium. But you need to buy the premium version though as the free version is limited.

Do you use LINE? Did helium work?
I need to somehow mimic these steps without root

Fast procedure (requires rooted phones)

If you don't remember your LINE PIN code, now is the last chance to change it, LINE will ask for it after you switch. Even if you never set one, it will ask you so better set it now.
Root both of your Android phones, old and new (absolutely required)
Install Titanium Backup (free) on both phones.
On the old phone, make sure LINE is not running, launch Titanium backup, and backup LINE (App+Data).
Copy the Titanium Backup folder (typically /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/) from your old phone to your new phone. It should contain 3 files or so.
On the new phone, install LINE (don't start it yet), launch Titanium Backup and use it to restore LINE (App+Data).
On the new phone, install Root Browser, and use it to copy /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line to your /sdcard/, then transfer it to a desktop computer (via ADB or email)
Open this file in SQLiteBrowser, go to the Execute SQL tab.
Type delete from setting; then press the Execute button. Save and exit, then copy the file back to /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line
Start LINE on the new phone and log in. All of your data will be just like you left it.
This restores your friends, chat history, call logs, groups, groups chat history.

matsuyamakaze

Sep 12, 2014
All you have to do is use the transfer plug provided with thr note 7 you plug it into a micro usb plug the micro into your old device the usb c adapter and it starts to transfer everything you have on the phone. Doesn't take long depends how many gigs.

Sent from my SM-N930V using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: barfingmonkey

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
All you have to do is use the transfer plug provided with thr note 7 you plug it into a micro usb plug the micro into your old device the usb c adapter and it starts to transfer everything you have on the phone. Doesn't take long depends how many gigs.

I've tried this and does not restore app data. Yours did? I had to use helium

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Do you use LINE? Did helium work?
I need to somehow mimic these steps without root
I use to. I can check tomorrow if it will restore. Im not near a computer and I need one to activate helium

matsuyamakaze

Sep 12, 2014
Mine even restored my text messages. My apologies if it doesn't work for you.

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
I know Helium Premium will do it without root because I have done it before. It restores all data and apps at the same time. It's a great app and in my opinion its comparable to Titanium. I haven't used it in a long time, but it worked like a charm last time when I used it.

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
It transferred most everything, I was actually impressed. It didn't do my email account and settings, not my app logins, but everything else was just like my note 5.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
for the most part it transfer everything. sticky note widgets, yahoo mail app with log in data, phone internal sd card data, call log, txt etc...
settings, ringtone ,alarms etc...

However the cable setup didnt work for me so i ended up using the pc app.

was surprised how everything was back in order

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
It copy all my apps etc I use a different launcher and I have a backup of that most of the stuff i ise is in my home screen so setup is very easy.

Sent from my SM-N930T using XDA-Developers mobile app

It will copy the apps but the not the data. For example facebook, amazon. It will not restore your login info and you will need to log in again. Same with games. It will not restore your score etc.

Reactions: endolith

gguy1

Apr 3, 2009
It will copy the apps but the not the data. For example facebook, amazon. It will not restore your login info and you will need to log in again. Same with games. It will not restore your score etc.
I can confirm that the statement above is pretty much correct.

I effectively tried all the transfer methods they have.
1) phone to phone with cable
2) phone to phone via wifi direct connection
3) phone to sdcard to phone via backup to and restore from scard
4) phone to computer to phone via smart switch on a Windows computer

NXLTrauma25

Sep 13, 2010
I can confirm that the statement above is pretty much correct.

I effectively tried all the transfer methods they have.
1) phone to phone with cable
2) phone to phone via wifi direct connection
3) phone to sdcard to phone via backup to and restore from scard
4) phone to computer to phone via smart switch on a Windows computer

Just like the other guy who made a thread about wifi performance. I would get very slow wifi performance every time I used smart switch. Once I set it up clean I was fine. In the end I decided that smart switch doesn't copy app data anyway so why use it.

AmphybiouS

Dec 25, 2010
Pisa
Hi guys, I use this thread to tell you my experience with smart switch.
I thinked that this app can backup all the phone settings and all the apps settings..
But.. not?
I have a Galaxy S8 that i had to reset to factory defaults, I have restored backup hoping that all the settings of phone and apps will be restored.. but it has partially restored settings and only the apps (without the related settings)..

What I can do to backup all the settings from phone and apps to avoid losing one hour to manually restore phone when I reset to default?

Thank you a lot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mine even restored my text messages. My apologies if it doesn't work for you.

text messaging is different than in chat app like line.
    It copy all my apps etc I use a different launcher and I have a backup of that most of the stuff i ise is in my home screen so setup is very easy.