FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How can I (re)make an old obsolete app to work on the latest Android version?

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By D4MN4T10N, Junior Member on 4th April 2019, 03:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Greetings to all. I am new to this forum and I have a question for you experts.
There is a very old and abandoned app that I used to like a lot. It is very simple (the size was just 99KB). It is simply creating a floating icon above other apps that initiates screenshots.
When I tried to install and use it on my OnePlus 5, I got the message that this application needs to be updated.
The thing is that there is no update available for this app because the developer for his own reasons abandoned the project.

Could this be because of the modified Android version my device is running? Or is it because the app is no longer compatible for the latest Android versions in general? (My old device was under 4.4 KitKat)
Is there a way to resolve this manually perhaps by decompiling , editing and recompiling the apk?
Is there a way to recreate the same apk to be compatible with the latest bunch of Android versions?
Is there perhaps a way to avoid all the hassle and "trick" the app thinking that everything is O.K.?

Since I am a complete and utter n00b, please explain to me.
I wish to thank you all in advance for your time and effort to answer to me.

5th April 2019, 03:16 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 286

More
The apps' source code needs to be updated.
Do you have a link to the apps' source code?
Would also help to know what app you're talking about.
5th April 2019, 10:41 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory.

The apps' source code needs to be updated.
Do you have a link to the apps' source code?
Would also help to know what app you're talking about.

I have the apk file if that helps. I tried to private message you but I was not able.
How can I provide the source to you?
The link to the actual apk file is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zI...wrj4FLPtbMGe7j

The app is creating a floating button/icon that allows to take screenshots of a specific (designated by the app and fixed) area of your screen. You can take multiple screenshots and evry single screenshot appears in tiny thumbnails on your screen, each one next to the other. All screenshots are getting erased automatically after a few seconds (don't recall how many, maybe 30 secs).
5th April 2019, 07:04 PM |#4  

More
Yeah I have private messaging disabled. I prefer to do any communication on the forums.

As I mentioned, the source code needs to be updated. So if you post the source code I'd be willing to take a look.

No guarantees of course. Lots has changed in android over time. A lot of code has been deprecated. Don't know if it can be updated or if it's just better to start from scratch.
8th April 2019, 11:42 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

As I mentioned, the source code needs to be updated. So if you post the source code I'd be willing to take a look.

I really appreciate your willingness to assist.
As I mentioned I am not very android developing savvy, I have the classes-dex2jar.jar.src.zip here: ------------
Is this what you are looking for???
Let me know if I am mistaken.

I have also extracted all the contents of the apk using apk studio. Let me know if you need anything else.
8th April 2019, 07:02 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MN4T10N

I really appreciate your willingness to assist.
As I mentioned I am not very android developing savvy, I have the classes-dex2jar.jar.src.zip here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wY...Yvpf2dY7-T1bZ2
Is this what you are looking for???
Let me know if I am mistaken.

I have also extracted all the contents of the apk using apk studio. Let me know if you need anything else.

I did a little digging by decompiling the app so that I can look at the strings.xml to get the official app name. With the app name I did some research and concluded that the developer did not make it open source. This means its original java code is not public and therefore the app cannot be updated.

You'll have to find another app in the play store similar to this one for your use.
The Following User Says Thank You to GameTheory. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GameTheory. Ad-Free
9th April 2019, 09:32 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

I did a little digging by decompiling the app so that I can look at the strings.xml to get the official app name. With the app name I did some research and concluded that the developer did not make it open source. This means its original java code is not public and therefore the app cannot be updated.

You'll have to find another app in the play store similar to this one for your use.

OK thank you for your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to D4MN4T10N For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D4MN4T10N Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)