FORUMS

[Q] Android inventory app data storage suggestions

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By cyborg99, Junior Member on 3rd April 2015, 05:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I'm attempting to make an inventory application. Basically, our company has several devices/equipment that we checkout to other people and our current paper system isn't working out. The devices will each have an NFC tag put on that uniquely identifies it, and the idea is that the Android application on our smartphones (provided by the company) will simply scan it to check in/out the device. It will record the date time, who checked it out, and other information, and we want more than one person to be able to check in/out items at a time.

My problem is figuring out a way to store this data. Our company already pays for a OneDrive for Business account and our initial idea was to simply store the data in an Excel spreadsheet and share it with the people who checkin/checkout the devices (only two people at the moment), then the app would download the spreadsheet, record the new data, and upload it again to OneDrive. Reading and writing the data is easy, but actually pulling the file from OneDrive is where we hit a road bump and now we need another plan.

Are there any free alternatives for data storage of this kind where I would be able to access it through the Android application and update it? We also thought of using Heroku, but through researching I found that directly connecting to the PostgreSQL database they provide within the application is not possible. Of course we want to keep this data secure and only accessible to the people actually checking in/out devices, but we do not need a huge amount of space to store this data. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
7th April 2015, 10:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg99

Hello,

I'm attempting to make an inventory application. Basically, our company has several devices/equipment that we checkout to other people and our current paper system isn't working out. The devices will each have an NFC tag put on that uniquely identifies it, and the idea is that the Android application on our smartphones (provided by the company) will simply scan it to check in/out the device. It will record the date time, who checked it out, and other information, and we want more than one person to be able to check in/out items at a time.

My problem is figuring out a way to store this data. Our company already pays for a OneDrive for Business account and our initial idea was to simply store the data in an Excel spreadsheet and share it with the people who checkin/checkout the devices (only two people at the moment), then the app would download the spreadsheet, record the new data, and upload it again to OneDrive. Reading and writing the data is easy, but actually pulling the file from OneDrive is where we hit a road bump and now we need another plan.

Are there any free alternatives for data storage of this kind where I would be able to access it through the Android application and update it? We also thought of using Heroku, but through researching I found that directly connecting to the PostgreSQL database they provide within the application is not possible. Of course we want to keep this data secure and only accessible to the people actually checking in/out devices, but we do not need a huge amount of space to store this data. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Heroku is a good option. You'll have to make an app to run API's that will talk to your app.
28th February 2020, 08:17 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
In my opinion this is very convenient and I am glad that it is finally possible to store your data in large volumes. I see several advantages when using such services first it is much more convenient than storing data on your own media and second it is much safer as for business it is best to store data on special data rooms which guarantee a high level of security and data retention. So, I advise you to learn more about this on dataroom-reviews.com
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)