FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Library] BobEngine - Easy to use 2D game engine for Android

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, XDA!

I have created my own 2D game engine that utilizes OpenGL and sports many features to help make programming 2D games for Android as quick and simple as possible. I created this engine for use in my own projects but then I thought why no make it open-source? I think other people could benefit from this and input from other developers could help fine tune this thing so it's as good as it can be.

So I gave my engine the name "BobEngine" after my online alias and uploaded the first public release called "BobEngine 1.0 Thingama" to GitHub. That was months ago and now I've finished working on the next update: BobEngine 2.0 Shishka.

I've got a post on my website detailing what's new in update: http://www.bobbyloujo.com/2015/01/bo...ka-update.html

BobEngine uses a similar structure to GameMaker games so if you've ever used that you may be interested in BobEngine. BobEngine uses a specialized BobView to display the content of Rooms. Rooms are collections of GameObjects which each have a graphic and attributes such as x and y positions, width, height, angle, frame, etc... Rooms and GameObjects also have step, newpress, and released events built in. The step event happens each frame, the newpress event happens when a new pointer is touched on the screen, and the released event happens when a pointer is lifted from the screen.

There are many other tools included with BobEngine and the best way to start learning how to use them is have a look at the examples that are included! In the GitHub repository you'll find an Android Studio project called "BobEngine". This project contains the "bobEngine" library module that you'll need to include in your own projects if you want to use BobEngine. Also in the BobEngine project are modules for each of the included examples. Currently there are examples that demonstrate the structure of a BobEngine game, how to use input from the touch screen, and how to manipulate the camera. I'll be creating more examples in the future to show off all the things you can do with this engine!

All the methods and data members in BobEngine are internally documented and the examples include a lot of internal documentation to help you out as well.

I'll keep updating the library with new things as I think of them. If there is anything you think should be added go ahead and post about it in this thread.

Benjamin Blaszczak
a.k.a. Bobby Lou Jo
@Bobbyloujo on Twitter

Edit: Forgot the GitHub link: https://github.com/Bobbyloujo/BobEngine
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Bobbyloujo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bobbyloujo Ad-Free

4th January 2015, 10:58 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,180

More
Thumbs up
@Bobbyloujo

Thanks man will try this today and welcome 2 xda
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigBossTech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BigBossTech Ad-Free
5th January 2015, 02:37 AM |#3  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Thanks sir...pls give us some game template made from your lib
5th January 2015, 06:38 AM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 677

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Great job man. It looks great.

I will try as soon as possible

Sylvain
The Following User Says Thank You to sylsau For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th January 2015, 07:48 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Thanks man. Will surely try it out. good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to troytheboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift troytheboy Ad-Free
5th January 2015, 03:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Awesome, just what I've been looking for. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gangus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gangus Ad-Free
5th January 2015, 08:52 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
nice work, and thanks for putting your time and effort into it.

Could this be used to recreate "biomenace" for android?
5th January 2015, 09:14 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

Donate to Me
More
Thanks everyone!

@berlyshells Anything you want to see in particular? I could probably throw together a Flappy Bird clone real quick or something...

@verbuyst It certainly looks doable if you put the time and effort into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbyloujo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bobbyloujo Ad-Free
6th January 2015, 10:23 AM |#9  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyloujo

im not really looking for anything in particular..probably any game source with comments (of the functions/what for is this code etc..) inside the code would be nice haha i just requesting but its you're choice sir im sorry im just a newbie
TIA
10th January 2015, 01:18 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

Donate to Me
More
A new example has been added to the repository per @berlyshells request. This example is called Jumpy Bug and it is a Flappy Bird clone. It demonstrates what a full game programmed with BobEngine looks like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbyloujo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bobbyloujo Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 03:17 AM |#11  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyloujo

thank you very much sir..you are indeed a good hearted person..this is what i really love on xda
The Following User Says Thank You to bloodyrose For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bloodyrose Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, gamedev, library

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)