[RECOVERY][tornado_348] TWRP 2.8.5.0 touch recovery [2015-02-27]

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.5.0:

-Scale the GUI - TWRP can read the theme's resolution and scale it up or down to fit the theme to your screen's resolution
-Backups can now be cancelled while the backup is in progress (does not include restore because we don't want to leave your device in a bad state)
-Improve thread handling and move input handling into the main rendering thread to improve stability
-Make MTP work even if unplugged and plugged back in
-Unify scrollable list code and make kinetic scrolling feel more natural
-Fix handling of mapped zip files for OTA updates (CM12 updater)
-USB keyboards should now work on all devices that support USB host mode via a USB OTG cable
-Other small fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 2.8.4.0:

-Add flashing of boot and recovery images via the TWRP GUI (Find the Images button on the Install page)
-Fix some MTP related crashes and bugs
-Eliminate TWRP toggling USB IDs during boot if MTP is enabled
-Fix various adb sideload issues
-Improve threading of actions
-Eliminate separate thread for screen timeout
-Update libblkid to 2.25.0
-Use power button as back button on watch themes for easier navigation
-Add mutex locking to data manager
-Improve custom theme handling on encrypted devices
-Allow the stock theme to be offset by build flags so we can center a lower res theme on a higher res screen especially for watches with round screens

CHANGELOG for 2.8.3.0:

-MTP will now tell the host PC that storage is removed instead of disabling MTP completely
-MTP will now report the correct max file size based on the file system in use to the host PC (may fix transfer of large files)
-Update and improve fix permissions and make fixing contexts optional
-Update SuperSU in TWRP to 2.40 and update install process
-Make TWRP work properly on AArch64 (Nexus 9 is now built in true 64-bit binaries and libraries)
-Attempt to set correct permissions and contexts on all files placed in storage so backups will show in Android
-Fix kernel panic during MTP start on some devices
-Support unicode fonts on devices with True Type Font support
-Fix slider value not showing sometimes (vibration settings page)
-Toggle MTP off during adb sideload to set correct USB IDs
-Reduce library requirements for 5.0 L decrypt
-Other minor fixes and improvements

Note: Starting with TWRP 2.8.2.0 and higher, adb sideload uses a new sideload method originally implemented in AOSP recovery. You will need the latest adb binaries to use sideload in these newer versions of TWRP. The version required is 1.0.32. You can find the version by running "adb version" on your computer. The new sideload feature no longer stores the zip on your device. Instead, a fuse file system is created in RAM and the zip is streamed from your computer. This puts less wear and tear on storage and ensures that large zips will not fill up all of your RAM. The sideload may spit an error on your PC side, but the zip should install just fine on your device.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.2.0:
-Pull in all changes from Android 5.0 lollipop into TWRP
-Add decrypt support for Android 5.0 lollipop encrypted partitions including automatic decrypt when the default_password is in use
-Revert some changes to exFAT that were breaking exFAT support on some devices
-Other minor fixes and updates

Note: At this time we do not have a GUI representation for pattern unlock. You can still decrypt patterns though by translating the pattern dots to numbers. The pattern dots correspond to numbers in the following pattern:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

So an upper-case L would translate to a password of 14789 entered on the keyboard. Eventually we plan to add a proper pattern unlock to TWRP but it is a relatively low priority at this point.

DOWNLOAD:
Most devices can be updated quickly and easily with the TWRP Manager app:
Play Store Link
1) Install TWRP Manager from the Play Store
2) Open TWRP Manager and provide root permissions
3) Hit Advanced->Install Recovery
4) Verify the correct device name on your screen then press Install Recovery if the correct device is showing
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

I am wondering why TWRP official site only carries US based models? Whereas we in Asia have a whole multitude of TWRP versions for hundreds and hundreds of models. Even if it is not officially released by TWRP Team it should at least have another "sponsored" site for TWRP collected all over Asia and have its own depositories.Then the official TWRP sites would pales in comparison if somebody would have collected TWRP from unofficial sources. I am using TWRP recovery strictly on my ROMs and only as last resort CWM.
This TWRP official site doesnt do justice to itself and you expect users /modders to download TWRP Manager App from Playstore when we all know that we would never ever find the TWRP version for our devices.??

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
I am wondering why TWRP official site only carries US based models? Whereas we in Asia have a whole multitude of TWRP versions for hundreds and hundreds of models. Even if it is not officially released by TWRP Team it should at least have another "sponsored" site for TWRP collected all over Asia and have its own depositories.Then the official TWRP sites would pales in comparison if somebody would have collected TWRP from unofficial sources. I am using TWRP recovery strictly on my ROMs and only as last resort CWM.
This TWRP official site doesnt do justice to itself and you expect users /modders to download TWRP Manager App from Playstore when we all know that we would never ever find the TWRP version for our devices.??

I do appreciate your comments. Please allow me to add a few of my thoughts. TWRP is an open source project. When we set out to build TWRP we decided to make it open source in the beginning because we knew that being open source would allow the project to grow and spread much faster than if we tried to keep it closed source. We know that being open source would lead to lots of unofficial builds. The high number of unofficial builds was exactly our intent and we are happy to see so many unofficial builds out there.

The bulk of TWRP development is done by 2 to 4 people. The core work of building official TWRP and adding new devices is the work of only 2 people: myself and bigbiff. Both of us are located in the USA so it's only natural that the supported devices will have a strong trend towards USA devices. We are open to working with other developers to add devices. Many of the devices in our officially supported were added with the help and assistance of other developers like yourself porting TWRP to their device. After those developers port TWRP to their device, they contact us and supply device trees and testing so that we can add that device to our official list.

If you have a device that is not officially supported, feel free to port TWRP to the device, then supply your device tree to us so we can get it added for official support and continue to release new updates of TWRP for the device. We can't afford to buy all of the devices ourselves and many of the devices aren't available in our country anyway. We depend on the support of other developers to help reduce the burden of support and porting. Reducing this burden also helps us focus on what we do best: adding cool new features to TWRP for everyone to use.

We aren't going to take the time to comb the Internet for TWRP builds that may or may not work and that may be incomplete or improperly done. Many of the posts of these unofficial versions are in other languages that we cannot read without translation. We try to maintain a high quality product and it would be a bad idea for us to do this, especially when we would have no way to fix the problems.

I can confirm that we are working towards supporting multiple languages within TWRP. My hope is that the additional language support will cause TWRP to spread even more and reach more people who are unwilling or unable to use a TWRP that isn't in their native language. I'm also hopeful that more developers will reach out to us to add their devices and that more people will get involved with translating TWRP to other languages.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! at least I know that the TEAM is an open source , open minded TEAM. I am not a developer per se as you all are ( I consider you all as the Gurus and I am just half a student) We need to have a depositories of all the versions thats flying around out there ( the bad side to the open source approach is when somebody made a blunder out of the Recovery but using the "TWRP" brand) like I recently experience when I tried to wipe dalvik-cache/cache it corrupted and removed with "root" and system partition. Luckily I had another backup and was able to use that version to RESTORE but after that I told my users to uninstall the so called TWRP 2.8.0.0 and revert back to 2.7.1. This would tarnish the TEAMS name as I exclusively port my ROMs with only TWRP 95% of the time. Anyway thanks again for your response , maybe I will set-up a depositories of TWRP and link up with the main TWRP depositories.

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

I dont want to recommend Kingoroot/or other one-click root other than Vroot since it doesnt have any funny name files scattered all over the system folder (for example KingoRoot uses the name KingoRoot.apk as the Superuser app this might cause some problems when other Superuser app needs to replace another "Superuser.apk" app and in the xbin folder , instead of "su" binaries (be it Chinese "su" or otherwise) the Kingoroot renamed it "ksu" and that files are sometimes also left in the "bin" folder and they becomes orphan but operational files. (Maybe I got the names wrong but I know that KingoRoot doesnt follow the normal naming rules) Whereas Vroot/iRoot (as it now called) uses "Superuser" and "su" nomenclatures for easier recognition by e.g Chainfire SuperSU = "Superuser" and "su" binaries. and dont leave behind any orphan files. Vrot/iRoot has 98% success rate in rooting unrootable devices as I had experience. No need to test out any exploits just one-click root from PC and within 3-5 minutes you're all done!

DvDwx.

Jul 21, 2013
?
Kazam Tornado 348 AKA. BLU Vivo Air AKA. Gionee Elife S5.1

Someone can check if that can RUN with BLU Vivo Air or Gionee Elife S5.1 ... Because Tornado 348 is EXACTLY THE SAME PHONE... Just a RE-BRAND to can be more Likely to a specific market =D
Gionee -> Asian/ Chinese Market
BLU -> North/South America
Kazam -> Europe Market i Think...

Anyone can check the reviews... SAME OS, SAME HARDWARE, SAME PHONE... ;D (I Will replay that on BLU Vivo Air General Topic)

Last edited:

jetfin

Jan 26, 2011
Zagreb
I've had no luck getting twrp to work on my gionee elife s5.1

Tried flashing with mobileuncle, fastboot and "dd" through android terminal.

After flashing, a reboot to recovery just boots to fastboot...

-- edit --
Twrp manager app is still a no go -although it seems to be playing nicer after replacing the iroot/vroot superuser with superSU, the recovery partition location warning before installing is simply /dev/recovery. This is not the location on my device...
-- end edit --

The Chinese cwm for the gionee s5.1 floating around out there does work for me. Flashed it in fastboot...

Last edited:
Reactions: DvDwx.

DvDwx.

Jul 21, 2013
?
The driver you used to get fastboot work is from where?.. We stay making a huge progress with Blu Vivo Air topic... The ideia is fuse kazam tornado menu topic with blu vivo air menu topic... And we stay in touch with Russian developers from 4PDA too... They have some news and i think their MiUi v6 work with your Gionee phone ;D

Prototype18

Sep 22, 2012
London
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hello . Any other way to install twrp as i have a locked phone . Cant remove passcode. I had it laying around for some time and i cant find the password. Any idea ? thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.5.0:

-Scale the GUI - TWRP can read the theme's resolution and scale it up or down to fit the theme to your screen's resolution
    -Backups can now be cancelled while the backup is in progress (does not include restore because we don't want to leave your device in a bad state)
    -Improve thread handling and move input handling into the main rendering thread to improve stability
    -Make MTP work even if unplugged and plugged back in
    -Unify scrollable list code and make kinetic scrolling feel more natural
    -Fix handling of mapped zip files for OTA updates (CM12 updater)
    -USB keyboards should now work on all devices that support USB host mode via a USB OTG cable
    -Other small fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 2.8.4.0:

-Add flashing of boot and recovery images via the TWRP GUI (Find the Images button on the Install page)
    -Fix some MTP related crashes and bugs
    -Eliminate TWRP toggling USB IDs during boot if MTP is enabled
    -Fix various adb sideload issues
    -Improve threading of actions
    -Eliminate separate thread for screen timeout
    -Update libblkid to 2.25.0
    -Use power button as back button on watch themes for easier navigation
    -Add mutex locking to data manager
    -Improve custom theme handling on encrypted devices
    -Allow the stock theme to be offset by build flags so we can center a lower res theme on a higher res screen especially for watches with round screens

CHANGELOG for 2.8.3.0:

-MTP will now tell the host PC that storage is removed instead of disabling MTP completely
    -MTP will now report the correct max file size based on the file system in use to the host PC (may fix transfer of large files)
    -Update and improve fix permissions and make fixing contexts optional
    -Update SuperSU in TWRP to 2.40 and update install process
    -Make TWRP work properly on AArch64 (Nexus 9 is now built in true 64-bit binaries and libraries)
    -Attempt to set correct permissions and contexts on all files placed in storage so backups will show in Android
    -Fix kernel panic during MTP start on some devices
    -Support unicode fonts on devices with True Type Font support
    -Fix slider value not showing sometimes (vibration settings page)
    -Toggle MTP off during adb sideload to set correct USB IDs
    -Reduce library requirements for 5.0 L decrypt
    -Other minor fixes and improvements

Note: Starting with TWRP 2.8.2.0 and higher, adb sideload uses a new sideload method originally implemented in AOSP recovery. You will need the latest adb binaries to use sideload in these newer versions of TWRP. The version required is 1.0.32. You can find the version by running "adb version" on your computer. The new sideload feature no longer stores the zip on your device. Instead, a fuse file system is created in RAM and the zip is streamed from your computer. This puts less wear and tear on storage and ensures that large zips will not fill up all of your RAM. The sideload may spit an error on your PC side, but the zip should install just fine on your device.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.2.0:
    -Pull in all changes from Android 5.0 lollipop into TWRP
    -Add decrypt support for Android 5.0 lollipop encrypted partitions including automatic decrypt when the default_password is in use
    -Revert some changes to exFAT that were breaking exFAT support on some devices
    -Other minor fixes and updates

Note: At this time we do not have a GUI representation for pattern unlock. You can still decrypt patterns though by translating the pattern dots to numbers. The pattern dots correspond to numbers in the following pattern:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

So an upper-case L would translate to a password of 14789 entered on the keyboard. Eventually we plan to add a proper pattern unlock to TWRP but it is a relatively low priority at this point.

DOWNLOAD:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily with the TWRP Manager app:
    Play Store Link
    1) Install TWRP Manager from the Play Store
    2) Open TWRP Manager and provide root permissions
    3) Hit Advanced->Install Recovery
    4) Verify the correct device name on your screen then press Install Recovery if the correct device is showing
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

I do appreciate your comments. Please allow me to add a few of my thoughts. TWRP is an open source project. When we set out to build TWRP we decided to make it open source in the beginning because we knew that being open source would allow the project to grow and spread much faster than if we tried to keep it closed source. We know that being open source would lead to lots of unofficial builds. The high number of unofficial builds was exactly our intent and we are happy to see so many unofficial builds out there.

The bulk of TWRP development is done by 2 to 4 people. The core work of building official TWRP and adding new devices is the work of only 2 people: myself and bigbiff. Both of us are located in the USA so it's only natural that the supported devices will have a strong trend towards USA devices. We are open to working with other developers to add devices. Many of the devices in our officially supported were added with the help and assistance of other developers like yourself porting TWRP to their device. After those developers port TWRP to their device, they contact us and supply device trees and testing so that we can add that device to our official list.

If you have a device that is not officially supported, feel free to port TWRP to the device, then supply your device tree to us so we can get it added for official support and continue to release new updates of TWRP for the device. We can't afford to buy all of the devices ourselves and many of the devices aren't available in our country anyway. We depend on the support of other developers to help reduce the burden of support and porting. Reducing this burden also helps us focus on what we do best: adding cool new features to TWRP for everyone to use.

We aren't going to take the time to comb the Internet for TWRP builds that may or may not work and that may be incomplete or improperly done. Many of the posts of these unofficial versions are in other languages that we cannot read without translation. We try to maintain a high quality product and it would be a bad idea for us to do this, especially when we would have no way to fix the problems.

I can confirm that we are working towards supporting multiple languages within TWRP. My hope is that the additional language support will cause TWRP to spread even more and reach more people who are unwilling or unable to use a TWRP that isn't in their native language. I'm also hopeful that more developers will reach out to us to add their devices and that more people will get involved with translating TWRP to other languages.
    I've had no luck getting twrp to work on my gionee elife s5.1

Tried flashing with mobileuncle, fastboot and "dd" through android terminal.

After flashing, a reboot to recovery just boots to fastboot...

-- edit --
    Twrp manager app is still a no go -although it seems to be playing nicer after replacing the iroot/vroot superuser with superSU, the recovery partition location warning before installing is simply /dev/recovery. This is not the location on my device...
    -- end edit --

The Chinese cwm for the gionee s5.1 floating around out there does work for me. Flashed it in fastboot...