Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] [K.A.T - V2.4.2] [Audio enhancer | Scan Filters | GPS QuickFix]

2,877 posts
Thanks Meter: 17,996

By timduru, Senior Member on 22nd July 2014, 11:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
K.A.T - Kat Android Toolbox - Android Unleasher
Asus TF300T - TF101

Android App | Audio Enhancer | Alsa Mixer | Media Scanner filters | GPS quickFix
(Some of the features requires root)

Hi everyone

After the TF101 , K.A.T toolbox is now available for the TF300T

Latest K.A.T version :
For KatKiss 7.X: K.A.T_V2.4.2.apk (Requires KatKiss 7.X >=V011)
For KatKiss 6.0 : K.A.T_V2.2.0.apk
For KatKiss 5.1 : K.A.T_V2.1.0.apk

ChangeLog:

2.2.0 - 2.1.0 - 2.0.1 - 1.5.3 - 1.5.2 - 1.5.1 - 1.5.0 - 1.4.2 - 1.4.1 - 1.4.0 - 1.3.2 - 1.3.1 - 1.2.7 - 1.2.5 - 1.2.4 - 1.2.3 - 1.2.2 - 1.2.0 - 1.1.7 - 1.1.6 - 1.1.4 - 1.1.3 - 1.1.2

It includes:
* KatAudio:
- Ability to control individually the hardware volume mixers of the WM8903 sound chip (hardware levels are lower than the max by default, and android controls only the software volumes)
- Audio quality & level enhancement (optimized WM8903 register values for best quality)
- Predefined optimized profiles that can be applied at boot and run time
- Pre Amp Boost
- Speaker front boost( DAC L+R merge)
- Abitility to link Speakers and Headphone analog volume with the volume keys and cascade analog with android digital level.
(Only use the volume keys to control the volume in that case, do not use the digital android volume or another app) see post #2
- reinit FM34 DSP
* Install section allows you to install the different patches/features and fixes
- Ad-blocker (host file replacement)
- GPS assistance Fix (needs reboot after install)

* Media
- Allows you to configure the KAT MediaScanner filters (whitelist, blacklist, alwaysadd directories, disable scan completely) Requires compatible rom like KatKiss
* Storage
- Allows you to mount / unmount drives (with full write NTFS support too)

See post #2 for more details.

See post #3 for compatibility reports, please report if a feature works for you (indicates which feature/version), and with which tablet/ROM/Kernel combination and versions you tested it with.
That way I can update the compatibility post.

Disclaimer: The usual
Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

Please don't repackage or redistribute K.A.T in another thread, as it'll just make it very difficult for me to maintain and understand user feedback if your repackaged version is broken, has too many differences or is outdated.
Also feel free to mention that you've reused some of the K.A.T enhancements but don't call it K.A.T, as if you do that will just generate confusion in user's mind as to where and what is K.A.T.
Thanks

Credits:
- Dan Pollock for the original ad-blocker file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

XDA:DevDB Information
K.A.T - Kat Android Toolbox, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
timduru

Version Information

Created 2014-07-22
Last Updated 2016-10-30
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free
22nd July 2014, 11:18 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
Features

* KatAudio:
Note that on the TF300T, With some of the media player the first time you play a media, the volumes are reset to their original state. So first open the app & play then adjust the volumes in the K.A.T app. Or if you use the cascade option, push the volume button once after playing and it will set the proper volume level

- ability to control individually the hardware volume mixers of the WM8903 chip
- predefined optimized profiles that can be applied at boot and run time (optimized WM8903 registers for best quality "voodoo sound like" + sound volumes)
- Speaker front boots( DAC L+R merge)
- reinit FM34 DSP feature

- Pre Amp Boost
4 modes: 0 (no boost) , 1 (+6dB boost), 2 (+12dB boost), 3 (+18dB boost)
That will allow you to boost the level in hardware before sending it to the audio chip amplifier
This is to use mostly for apps/medias that have a low input level for example some of the streaming apps like Netflix with which that new option does wonders :)
Keep in mind that if your media already has a normal audio level you will saturate the amp input and generate clipping / bad quality.

- Cascade option: Abitility to link Speakers and Headphone analog volume with the volume keys and cascade analog with android digital level. (This will give you the best quality results. )

When you increase the volume it will first increase the digital android volume, then increase the real chip analog volume as you keep pushing up once the digital volume has reached the maximum.
When you hit the volume down button, it will first decrease the analog chip volume, while keep the digital volume at max.Then once it has reached a low analog level it'll decrease the digital slider as you keep pushing.
(Only use the volume keys to control the volume in that case, do not use the digital android volume or another app)

If you prefer not to have that behavior and set the volumes separately, just uncheck the cascade option.

* Storage
Allows you to mount / unmount drives:
- Mount(Auto): will try to mount vfat, ext4 and ntfs with what the kernel support (ie if the kernel only supports ReadOnly NTFS, the drives will end up being mounted ro)
- Mount(NTFS with full write support) : this one will try to mount the drive directly with full read-write support through ntfs-3g compiled and included with the app.
- Unmount: does what it says ;) if the drive is busy or used by an application, it'll usually fail.
In that case and if you know what you're doing you can try to check the force box, it might be able to force unmount.

* Media
Allows you to configure the KAT MediaScanner filters
Always been annoyed by the MediaScanner eating 50% of the cpu and doing intensive IO, bringing your tablet to its knees ?
Well this enhancement is for you, it'll allow you to black/white list and force specified directories scanning, or disable scanning completely.

The way the default MediaScanner works is that everytime the tablet starts, that you mount / unmount a storage, or that the tablet wakes up,
the MediaScannerService receives an order to scan.. *everything* on all mounted medias *again*:
/storage/sdcard0, /Removable/MicroSD, /Removable/USBdisk1, /Removable/USBdisk2, /Removable/SD

That's where the K.A.T MediaScanner comes to the rescue.
With it you can rewrite / filter the scan orders. :)

- Whitelist:
Everything added in it will continue and be scanned if the order is received.
If you work in whitelist most, you should add at least /system/media to it, unless you don't want the system to find these. (default audio notifications and such)

- Blacklist
Everything in this list will be discarded from the scan order received.

- Always add directories
The directories in this list, will be always appended to the scan order.

- Scan checkbox: if unchecked all orders are cancelled
You can choose to still let the "always add directories" list pass or not with the additional check box

One thing to understand: the MediaScannerService is in charge of "top level" recursive scan orders.
Meaning that it receives the order to scan /Removable/MicroSD for example.
(It can also receive individual scan orders for files if an application forces it, but that's not how android is doing it for you general "media files")
So it is these "orders" that the filters can intercept and what the white/black list are matching against.
You won't be able to match onto individual files.

Also keep in mind it takes time for the scanner to update its DB.
Until it's done you might still see medias that you've filtered out, or might not see new medias you're trying to force scanning.
If you currently have a big media DB, the cleanest and faster way to do it, is to configure the filters you want, wipe MediaStorage data, then reboot.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free
22nd July 2014, 06:07 PM |#4  
Flag Shawnee, OK
Thanks Meter: 286

More
What the heck?! How do you know how to do all of this???

Haha thanks so much!!!! Thus is awesome

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewnelson23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andrewnelson23 Ad-Free
22nd July 2014, 06:11 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnelson23

What the heck?! How do you know how to do all of this???

Haha thanks so much!!!! Thus is awesome

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

hehe, you're welcome
Took some time to dig into the sound chip documentation, but yeah since the TF300T and TF101 share the same sound chip
the TF300T can now benefit from it too
and the few other things
22nd July 2014, 08:29 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
What about tf201?? Should it work?

Sent from my TF300T using xda premium
22nd July 2014, 08:35 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbey

What about tf201?? Should it work?

Sent from my TF300T using xda premium

can' t test myself, but it should work I think as it has the same sound chip and similarities to the TF300T.
you can be the first one to test and report
The Following User Says Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free
22nd July 2014, 09:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 526

More
Why that when I use any audio mod it sounds the same lol.

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
22nd July 2014, 09:34 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d08speed3

Why that when I use any audio mod it sounds the same lol.

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G

what tablet / rom / kernel version ?
does it display like in the screen capture in the first post, ie it display the volume mixers ,
and did you grant root access to the app when it first ran ?
22nd July 2014, 09:42 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 526

More
CROM-bi KK. Geass Kernel.TF300t. ROM came with Viper4android and that makes no difference on its own. Yea I did all of that. I see all of that too. Tinkering with the values and preset one makes it no louder.

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
22nd July 2014, 09:45 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d08speed3

CROM-bi KK. Geass Kernel.TF300t. ROM came with Viper4android and that makes no difference on its own. Yea I did all of that.

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G

do you hear volume changes when you move the mixer sliders in the K.A.T app ; ie if you decrease it will it decrease volume ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)