Will Motherboard Replacement Solve Bricked TF300T?

Search This thread
Hi

TF300T JB 4.2.1
Bought new in the US in 2013 so has US SKU. Originally for my wife, but she now has an iPad Pro so I've got the hand-me-down!
Wiped it and unlocked the device successfully using the Asus V8 utility. Tried to flash TWRP from Win7 computer but something went wrong. The interface was still there, it would boot up okay but there was no sign of TWRP. Eventually, I went into fastboot and selected RCK. Nothing happened except the icon turned brown and just sat there. Then I tried a factory reset but it wouldn't have any, nor a cold boot. In desperation I turned the device off and tried to reboot. The initial "Asus" screen came up ("This device is unlocked" in top left-hand corner and the 'Nividia Tegra' logo in bottom right. No spinning circle of dots). It won't boot into fastboot, in fact the volume keys are totally unresponsive. On/off will turn off the device, but it immediately boots back to the same Asus screen. It's not recognised by the Win7 computer so I can't flash anything to it. I think I've tried everything this forum (and a few lesser ones!) could suggest, to no avail.
I believe I now have the proverbial 'bricked' tablet.
Nothing daunted, and not prepared to involve Asus support, I'm considering swapping the motherboard (I've done a couple on Windows computers) but will this bring my TF300T back to life, or is there more I need to do?
I'm no expert on the Android OS so any help from you experts would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Anyone?

I know the TF300 is a bit long in the tooth now, but all I want to know is whether a bricked one can be recovered by replacing the motherboard. There must be someone out there who has done the replacement and can advise me? Also, I apologise if this in in the wrong section, I guess it should have been in the 'Help' section, but I didn't realise until I'd posted it.

ebonit

Nov 28, 2015
Berlin
Hi

TF300T JB 4.2.1
I'm considering swapping the motherboard (I've done a couple on Windows computers) but will this bring my TF300T back to life, or is there more I need to do?

Of course, exchange the MB will bring back your device to life. But it is really the last option.
Firstly you have to check patiently if you can get access into your device. Therefore read mindfully this thread:
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2396072

"The solution by @Buster99 is for those who:
- flashed the wrong recovery, and wiped data
- are able to boot into recovery, but cannot flash anything
- no adb access (although, if you DO have adb access, this will still work for you...)"

Hopefully my advise will help you! Don't forget to thank @Buster99 :cowboy:

Reactions: capelyddol
Of course, exchange the MB will bring back your device to life. But it is really the last option.
Firstly you have to check patiently if you can get access into your device. Therefore read mindfully this thread:

- no adb access (although, if you DO have adb access, this will still work for you...)"

ebonit ~ many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I really don't think there's any way I can get access. The initial boot-up screen is all I get, in perpetual loop. The only way to shut it down is reset with vol-up., though it's possible it may be in some sort of variation of apx mode at this point as the screen is blank. I've no way of knowing as my win 7 computer only acknowledges an 'unknown device' at that point, and nothing when the initial boot screen is there. Vol-down doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Windows has already installed the drivers so won't re-install, or uninstall them as it's 'unknown'. I did once manage to get it recognised as an 'apx device' but with an '!' (not sure how I did it as I haven't been able to replicate it since!) but I don't think that helps me even if I could replicate it without the '!', Nvflash requires I have the necessary back-up files, which of course I don't. I don't know where to go from here except to replace the motherboard. Once I get the device apart I may try disconnecting the battery, vol-down, and reconnect, to try booting to recovery, but I'm not optimistic of that working.
I'll certainly be very happy to consider any other suggestions you, or anyone else, may have.
I tried Buster99's method, but as my TF300T isn't recognised by Windows that was a non-starter.
Once again, many thanks for your input.
capelyddol
(John)

ebonit

Nov 28, 2015
Berlin
ebonit ~ many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I really don't think there's any way I can get access.

I'm sorry, but if you are really sure that you cannot boot into either fastboot or recovery the tablet is bricked for good!

In this case to replace the mainboard will be the last option to get the tablet back to life. There is a very good instruction with pictures by @huebinger that shows you what to do exactly: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2368372 (BTW, that's what I did many years ago!!!)

On ebay.com you may find a used one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-AS...863174?hash=item54321ab206:g:lrcAAOSwjXRXcHSB

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if you are really sure that you cannot boot into either fastboot or recovery the tablet is bricked for good!

In this case to replace the mainboard will be the last option to get the tablet back to life. There is a very good instruction with pictures by @huebinger that shows you what to do exactly: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2368372 (BTW, that's what I did many years ago!!!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-AS...863174?hash=item54321ab206:g:lrcAAOSwjXRXcHSB

ebonit ~ Thanks for the links. I checked out huebinger's and pulled my motherboard out, then bought the one you linked to on eBay. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage getting the MB out. I'm more used to the tough old internal wiring of desktop computers!

I'd already backed up the data and done a factory reset before I began my abortive attempts at rooting so hopefully I'll be starting with a clean slate once I get the new board installed. It's going to take a while to cross the pond to France, but I'll report on how it goes once it arrives.
Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.
John.
(capelyddol)

mitomon

Apr 22, 2013
Hello,
My tf300t got bricked while upgrading twrp.
nothing helped, i put away the tablet, after a year i found her ... so i said to myself "why not" ?! so i ordered from ebay a motherboard, and it's work like a charm, but the tablet is old now ;0
now i want to setup a lite rom ....

My replacement motherboard arrived yesterday and is installed, up, and running.
Android Ver: 4.2.1
Build No: US_epad - 10.6.1.27.5
I downloaded the v8 unlock device app and unlocked the tab.

I've downloaded:
1) djibe Transformer Pad TF300T pack v3
2)KatKiss -7.1_TF300T_029
3) open-gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180517
I have a 32g microSD formated to FAT32 installed in the tablet.

All as per djibe89's tutorial here: https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf300t/general/guide-asus-transformer-pad-tf300t-stock-t3554744
My 'versions' are identical with djibe89's except for the BT version which is 11.38, not 10.38. Hopefully that'll not affect anything!

At this point I run into problems:
1) My USB link between the win 7 (32-bit) computer and the tablet is iffy. Sometimes it works for a while, but I frequently get the "USB device Not Recognized" with a useless MS message not worth clicking on. I'm wondering if there's a more reliable way to transfer files? Airdroid, possibly? Losing connection during file transference doesn't bear thinking about.
2)
Go to folder /Universal Naked Drivers 0.72 you unziped at start on your Desktop.
Select file android_apxusb.inf, then right click -> Install.
Force driver install and wait until a success message prompts.
Repeat operation with android_winusb.inf .

I tried installing these drivers by both right-click-> Install and also CMD. -to no avail. I get a Windows message saying the best drivers for the device are already installed, but the tab still isn't recognized. Oh, yes it is! Ooops, now it isn't! ad infinitum, I'm guessing.
Can anyone advise how to overcome this or I can see myself keeping the used motherboard salesmen in Mercedes for the next decade! :crying:

3) Assuming I can overcome the iffy USB problem: should I use TWRP Kang 2.8.7.2 or TWRP 3.2?

I guess that's enough problems for now. I hope ebonit or some other expert can assist with this as I really want to get this tab rooted.
Thanks
John.
(capelyddol)

Reactions: ebonit

ebonit

Nov 28, 2015
Berlin

Congratulations! You did a good job. Thanks for your report.
First of all, to avoid any issues to get your device on N 7.1 Nougatella please follow exactly Tim's install instruction step by step in post #1. https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf300t/development/rom-t3453702
You need Kang TWRP as advised by Tim. Don't forget to format data through Kang TWRP before. It takes up to one hour. Then change file system to F2FS for data only no cache and system. Successfully done your device is now ready to install Rom, pico Gapps and SuperSU fresh downloaded via Tim's links there.
PS: About your USB issue take another USB port on your PC not via hub!
Good luck! :cowboy:

Three days with nothing from me, you'd be excused for thinking either I was dead, or my tab was! Thankfully, neither. In fact - SUCCESS!!! We're both alive and well, and for the tablet at least, performing better than ever.

TWRP installation took me two days. First, the computer (Win 7 32-bit) refused to recognize the TF300T and 'fastboot' could have been renamed 'nerverboot'. Strangely, the whole business seemed to evolve over time. Persistence was the name of the game - trying different USB ports, booting and rebooting (both tab and desktop). Eventually I found Snoop05's '15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3' https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 and with that I began to make progress...slowly!
Code:
fastboot devices
returned '???????????????' over and over again. By uplugging/plugging the cable into the tablet a few times I suddenly got a nice long string of letters and numbers. It came and went a few times but after a while seemed to stabilize till I felt ready for the big push of TWRP. I got so many error messages: 'can't find twrp.img' (I'd renamed it); 'can't open twrp.img'; 'insufficient memory', etc, etc.. Suddenly, it worked. It took just over eight seconds to download the 6.95MB. Booting into recovery was rather heart-stopping, but it came up a treat.
After that it was relatively simple to set up the TWRP (I found Djibe89's guide https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf300t/general/guide-asus-transformer-pad-tf300t-stock-t3554744 especially useful and there's a copy in the -djibe Transformer Pad TF300T pack v3' http://bit.ly/djibe-tf300t-v3.
Flashing KatKiss 7.1_TF300T_029, open_gapps-arm7.1-pico, and SuperSU-v2.82 from the microSD I'd copied them to went like a dream and before I knew it the old tab was humming with life once more. I'm a very happy chappy!

I have just two queries (so far :)) 1. djibe89 mentions the file 'deviceID.apk' but Tim doesn't. Is it still necessary? I believe it's to keep Google happy, but I've no problems downloading from the Play Store, so I've not installed it as yet.

2) While installing the 'Battery Calibration' app it briefly stated that the tab wasn't rooted. I assume if I've achieved all the above, then it must be?

Now I'm going to play. No doubt I'll be back with a few more queries before too long!
Special thanks to ebonit for his help and support.

mitomon

Apr 22, 2013

I've downloaded:

All as per djibe89's tutorial here: https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf300t/general/guide-asus-transformer-pad-tf300t-stock-t3554744
My 'versions' are identical with djibe89's except for the BT version which is 11.38, not 10.38. Hopefully that'll not affect anything!

1) My USB link between the win 7 (32-bit) computer and the tablet is iffy. Sometimes it works for a while, but I frequently get the "USB device Not Recognized" with a useless MS message not worth clicking on. I'm wondering if there's a more reliable way to transfer files? Airdroid, possibly? Losing connection during file transference doesn't bear thinking about.
2)

I tried installing these drivers by both right-click-> Install and also CMD. -to no avail. I get a Windows message saying the best drivers for the device are already installed, but the tab still isn't recognized. Oh, yes it is! Ooops, now it isn't! ad infinitum, I'm guessing.
Can anyone advise how to overcome this or I can see myself keeping the used motherboard salesmen in Mercedes for the next decade! :crying:

3) Assuming I can overcome the iffy USB problem: should I use TWRP Kang 2.8.7.2 or TWRP 3.2?

I guess that's enough problems for now. I hope ebonit or some other expert can assist with this as I really want to get this tab rooted.
Thanks
John.
(capelyddol)

hi ,
you said that you succeeded to unlock the tablet ?
how ?!
i tried with unlocker v7 and 8 , i got the network error.

my tf330t is on 4.2.1.
i try hard reset, nothing helped.
i changed the mb, succeeded to root with motochopper.

please , i need help.
thanks

ebonit

Nov 28, 2015
Berlin
TWRP installation took me two days. Eventually I found Snoop05's '15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3' https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 and with that I began to make progress...slowly!

Hope you have Kang TWRP now as required by Tim in post #1!
I'm sorry, but you never mentioned that you cannot access your Tablet via ADB. Therefore please note, the best ADB tool, every Android user may have on his PC, is "Minimal ADB & Fastboot" https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790.

BTW, the answer to your first question is nope, you don't need it. The answer to your second one is yes the device is rooted. However check the update status of your SuperSU. Hope you did fresh download Rom, Apps and SuperSU via Tim's links in post #1 of the Nougatella thread?

I have installed Kang TWRP 2.8.7.2 as per Timduru's link. My tab was wiped before installation so all apps were fresh downloads. SuperSU was 'UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.82-20170528234214.zip' again, as per Timduru's link, as was the ROM ' KatKiss-7.1_TF300T_030.zip'. Many thanks for pointing me to 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot' which I've now installed for future use. And many thanks for all your other help. No doubt I'll be back for more! :cowboy:

Last edited:
Reactions: ebonit

ebonit

Nov 28, 2015
Berlin
My tab was wiped before installation so all apps were fresh downloads. Many thanks for pointing me to 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot' which I've now installed for future use. And many thanks for all your other help. No doubt I'll be back for more!

You are welcome! It's good to hear that you did such a good job. Using the thanks button is always greatly appreciated.

Please note, if you have any issues or you are changing the Android system, Format /data through Kang TWRP is always required. Format /data is more than wipe (you did wipe!) or factory reset. It takes up to 1 hour to be successfully. After that your system is really clean.

"Warning: formatting will remove what is stored in your internal storage, so store the rom /gapps/supersu zips onto an external storage (microSD, SD card..) or make sure you know how to push them back through adb." advised by Tim in post #1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

TF300T JB 4.2.1
    I'm considering swapping the motherboard (I've done a couple on Windows computers) but will this bring my TF300T back to life, or is there more I need to do?

ebonit ~ many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I really don't think there's any way I can get access.

I've downloaded:

2)
    Go to folder /Universal Naked Drivers 0.72 you unziped at start on your Desktop.
    Select file android_apxusb.inf, then right click -> Install.
    Force driver install and wait until a success message prompts.
    Repeat operation with android_winusb.inf .

Thanks
    John.
    (capelyddol)
    I have installed Kang TWRP 2.8.7.2 as per Timduru's link. My tab was wiped before installation so all apps were fresh downloads. SuperSU was 'UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.82-20170528234214.zip' again, as per Timduru's link, as was the ROM ' KatKiss-7.1_TF300T_030.zip'. Many thanks for pointing me to 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot' which I've now installed for future use. And many thanks for all your other help. No doubt I'll be back for more! :cowboy:
    My tab was wiped before installation so all apps were fresh downloads. Many thanks for pointing me to 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot' which I've now installed for future use. And many thanks for all your other help. No doubt I'll be back for more!

You are welcome! It's good to hear that you did such a good job. Using the thanks button is always greatly appreciated.

Please note, if you have any issues or you are changing the Android system, Format /data through Kang TWRP is always required. Format /data is more than wipe (you did wipe!) or factory reset. It takes up to 1 hour to be successfully. After that your system is really clean.

"Warning: formatting will remove what is stored in your internal storage, so store the rom /gapps/supersu zips onto an external storage (microSD, SD card..) or make sure you know how to push them back through adb." advised by Tim in post #1.