[Q&A] [ROM] [MM 6.0] [ KatKiss-Katshmallow ]

Search This thread

Theziggy

Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for all your work on this ROM.... A noob here, am using the KatKiss Lollipop v030 and it is the best. Have tried to install KatKiss Marshmallow v009, seems to be slow as i suspect am doing it wrong, here is the steps i did using TWRP 2871.

1. Full Wipe = success
2. Flash KatKiss Lollipop v009, flash super su, flash gapp (in that order) = success
3. Wipe cache/davlic = success
4. Tried to change data to f2fs with twrp 2871 = not allowed or error or failed
5. Reboot to system = tablet booted to marshmallow but very slow even though i let it optimize for an hour and a
half.
Questions:
1. When should i change the data from ext4 to f2fs? Is it before step 1 or after step 1, step 2?
2. I also see some post that i should unmount, how to do that and in which step should i do unmount?
3. Maybe TWRP 2871 is the culprit?
I update TWRP by flashing the latest TWRP(zip file). The problem now is the latest twrp(2872) is an img file.
Will that img file be flash to update my TWRP?

Have returned back to KatKiss Lollipop v030. Sorry for all this troubles, this tablet is my only computer and you made it very fast. Helps me with my studies. If someone can help me?

1. After step 1
2. The new version of the ROM checks to see if system is mounted or not - so you don't have to worry about that
3. Most people are using Kang TWRP - there is a zip file for 2.8.7.1 zip file.Here
2.8.7.1 should work fine. are your TWRP versions KANG?

ewanlintek

Oct 17, 2015
Thank you very much for the reply sir
Am on Kang TWRP 2.8.7.1
Will try again and will change data ext4 to f2fs after step 1
How will i check the ROM if mounted(if mounted, i will unmount it?) and when will i do that?

May 10, 2015
iam having problems installing Katkiss 6, i have carried out installation instructions, installed Kang Twrp and converted files from ext4 to f2fs,
after install i try to reboot and just get a boot loop, must have done something wrong
geb789

Kerberos1984

May 7, 2012
Sint-Eloois-Winkel
iam having problems installing Katkiss 6, i have carried out installation instructions, installed Kang Twrp and converted files from ext4 to f2fs,
after install i try to reboot and just get a boot loop, must have done something wrong
geb789

You only may convert /data, if you convert /cache or others you'll bootloop

If you did convert the other partitions, convert them back to ext4

Last edited:

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Reposting here since it seems better suited in a Q&A thread

1. How do you access Google Now? Swiping up from the home screen doesn't seem to work

2. Right click to go back doesn't seem to work despite enabling it in options

3. WiFi also seems to turn off during sleep despite the setting telling it not to. Strangely this is a problem I had on KatKiss Lollipop as well

Of course, I haven't done a full wipe, just a factory reset so understand and accept if the problems are through there, but I was just wondering if this was the case for other users as well

We don't make mistakes, We just have happy accidents.

Last edited:

MPSmart

Nov 10, 2015
I am back on 009 with format data and factory reset on extf4. Auto rotation works fine. But 009 was very slow. Flashed kernel 3. Now it is working great.:):good:

May 10, 2015
trying to flash marshmallow, i have wiped all data,cache as per install instructions and using kang twrp, i just get a bootloop, could it be that the wipe is not working and data is left behind, if i flash lollipop it works fine, any help appreciated

Nov 7, 2015
trying to flash marshmallow, i have wiped all data,cache as per install instructions and using kang twrp, i just get a bootloop, could it be that the wipe is not working and data is left behind, if i flash lollipop it works fine, any help appreciated

Hey Geoff I'm not sure what all you've done but I've had the same thing happen to me when flashing roms it's usually because of an incompatible setting somewhere try wipe cache and system as ext4 file system and data as f2fs after that install the rom supersu and marshmallow gapps in one go and see if that works

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Hey Geoff I'm not sure what all you've done but I've had the same thing happen to me when flashing roms it's usually because of an incompatible setting somewhere try wipe cache and system as ext4 file system and data as f2fs after that install the rom supersu and marshmallow gapps in one go and see if that works
A bad kernel could also cause bootloops

May 10, 2015
problem is a bootloop, i have omni lollipop installed at present, i would like katkiss 6, i have flashed grimlock kernel,twrp kang,supersu 2.4.6, and still end up with bootloop
quite new to roms and kernels

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
problem is a bootloop, i have omni lollipop installed at present, i would like katkiss 6, i have flashed grimlock kernel,twrp kang,supersu 2.4.6, and still end up with bootloop
quite new to roms and kernels

grimlock kernel doesn't have Marshmallow support yet, don't flash it after the rom
use the supersu listed in the 1st post , ie >=2.54
use gapps from the first post.

ie only flash the rom + supersu >=2.54 + KatKiss gapps.

Artemis-kun

Jan 29, 2012
Hi there, has anyone tried using an exfat formatted card with this ROM in the dock SD slot as of yet? In the 5.0 ROM, there was an issue with exfat cards when you closed the tablet, which powers off the dock and disconnects the card, but when you attempt to reconnect to it, the OS refuses to mount it because the 'safely removed' flag on the SD is set, and there is no way on the device itself to fix the flag. You are forced to connect the card to a full computer and do some sort of 'scan and fix' to the card, which never finds any errors, but resets the flag, which then allows the card to mount in the dock SD. The issue does not occur in the 4.x ROM, so I've been sticking to that one because I need the dock SD card, and exfat is my only option, as I store files on the card that are greater than 4gb.

Thanks for any feedback!

KritonK

Feb 19, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
has anyone tried using an exfat formatted card with this ROM in the dock SD slot as of yet?Thanks for any feedback!

As mentioned in the first post in the main thread, NTFS & Exfat support have not been implemented yet. If you insert an SD card with these file systems, the system will tell you that the file system is not supported, and will offer to format the card either for data transfer or as internal storage.

Note that using NTFS is also an option, as an alternative to exFAT. This is what I'd been using on Katkiss Lollipop, because i wanted the ability to have files larger than 4G, but something, I think it was TWRP, didn't recognize my SD card, when formatted with exFAT. NTFS is fully supported by WIndows (obviously) and Linux, so it is a valid file system for transferring data between the tablet and these two platforms. (On MacOS I gather that NTFS write support is not officially supported and off by default, so exFAT is probably a better option for transferring data between the tablet and that platform.)

Artemis-kun

Jan 29, 2012
As mentioned in the first post in the main thread, NTFS & Exfat support have not been implemented yet. If you insert an SD card with these file systems, the system will tell you that the file system is not supported, and will offer to format the card either for data transfer or as internal storage.

Note that using NTFS is also an option, as an alternative to exFAT. This is what I'd been using on Katkiss Lollipop, because i wanted the ability to have files larger than 4G, but something, I think it was TWRP, didn't recognize my SD card, when formatted with exFAT. NTFS is fully supported by WIndows (obviously) and Linux, so it is a valid file system for transferring data between the tablet and these two platforms. (On MacOS I gather that NTFS write support is not officially supported and off by default, so exFAT is probably a better option for transferring data between the tablet and that platform.)
Serves me right for not reading the first post fully, d'oh. Reformatting 128gb to ntfs is a lengthy process, though, and when I tried it before, I noticed a definitely decrease in read/write speeds, though maybe it was more imagined than not.

Artemis-kun

Jan 29, 2012
Does the TF300T support SD cards larger than 32 GB? I was under the impression that it doesn't. Or is that a limit only with FAT32?
Not a limitation of fat32, it doesn't max out until 2tb, though fat32 doesn't allow for file sizes over 4gb. Additionally, the tf300 is spec'd for the sdxc standard, which has a maximum of 2tb as well. Generally speaking, sd readers aren't locked to a particular maximum size, they're limited by the standard.

Reactions: KritonK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Still on vacation,
    but will have a look when I'm back yeah :)

Made a tf300t bare minimum Nougat build
    but init needs selinux support.
    previous MM workaround of using old init doesn't do it this time ;)
    Gonna be a pain to update our old kernel to work.
    Hey @timduru a question for you, with Android N officially releasing in a few days, do you think you'll be able to get it running on our tablets?

Still on vacation,
    but will have a look when I'm back yeah :)
    attachment.php
    KatKiss Marshmallow ROM
    attachment.php

Asus TF300T Q&A Thread​

Please note that this version is made for and tested on the TF300T model.
    Thanks to keep this thread for the TF300T

Rom Thread: http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf300t/development/rom-t3237867

-
    it seems I'm very unlucky lol, I tried doing this but get an error that says file system could not be changed or something like that, I tried some other sollutions on google but none of them worked, I still get the same error

You need to use a recovery that supports it and is not buggy.
    ie use the KANG TWRP linked in the 1st post of the rom
    (Some of the TWRP out there won't support formatting F2FS correctly.)
    Once you have installed Kang TWRP,
    format /data f2fs
    then do the usual procedure:
    flash rom + supersu + gapps (flash these 3 everytime, even when flashing on top of a previous rom version)
    wipe cache + dalvik-cache

With that setup first boot should take a bit less than 10 mins for *all* apps.

I got so frustrated trying to find where to change file format system for /data, I tried a whole heap of other ROMs....in the process discovering how to do the file system convert...currently have done:
    Flashed KANGTWRP 2.8.7.1 (it was a .zip that ADB/Fastboot would recognize, going to do the .img install of 2.8.7.2 from a terminal onboard)
    Formatted /data then changed to f2fs
    Flashed Katshmallow, THEN SuperSU and then Gapps
    Reboot...

And oh what joy...optimizing the first boot took less than 5 minutes (whereas before changing /data to f2fs it took 10-15 with the recurring optimizing apps 1 of 5...2 of 5...etc...on subsequent reboots which I'm now optimistic WILL NOT RECUR because of that speed change alone)

currently restoring previous apps (only 7 so I can do a reboot to check on the fix)

rebooting....

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...ok so I over did it it on the exclamation points...sue me

If I could have your children I would

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

You are a god amongst men Timduru, if I'd bothered looking I would have seen those instructions (/data > f2fs) on the first page of posts, feeling just a little foolish...

This has got to be the best ROM for the device, having tried Omni, Zombi-pop, CM12.1, even going backwards to your own to 5.0.2 release, the range of options, the coverage of control, no other developer comes close for this device.

Speed, we all want as much as we can get from our machines (vehicular or computational) and the step-change is palpable, this is like a brand new device again and it's 4 yrs old! Easily keeps pace with my Nexus5 and as an aside, GooglePlay Store works faster in installing apps than at any other time I've used it on this device.

Responsiveness...all I can say is WOW! All those other ROMs I had to swipe two maybe three times before anything would register...not on yours, first time every time.

All I can say I've said before, I'll have your children if it were possible, you've saved me thousands of (AUD$) dollars in purchase of new tech, I can now replace my phone instead of my tablet because as far as I'm concerned there still isn't a tablet to match this model out there currently.

PEOPLE; follow the instructions to the letter, change the /data partition to f2fs as advised, flash SuperSU before Gapps and you won't know your device.

Again thankyou for the effort you've put in to maintaining this project and keeping the best tablet ever built alive...it's alive I tell you, ALIVE!