Disadvantage with 9.4.5.30 BL on new tablet?

Search This thread

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
Hello @ll,

I bought a TF700-Tablet a few days ago.
Before I read something about NVFlash and this should not be working with my BL (9.4.5.30).

But what excactly are the disadvantages with that BL?
As I understood, with NVFlash I can make a complete backup from that tablet und can restore it, if it would brick.

But all other functions are possible? Own recovery system (TWRP) and custom rom?
And how often could the tablet be bricked?

Thanks for some infos and best regards,
Shadow128

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
If the bootloader is unlocked (any version), you can install custom recoveries and custom ROMs/kernels. If it isn't unlocked, you need to run the unlock tool from the Asus support page.

NVFlash can be used only if you created blob files for the wheelie tool before. The procedure for creating those blobs originally worked only with bootloaders 9.4.5.26 and earlier, but the developers found a new way around the bootloader signature checking and released the Flatline tool (search for it in the dev section), which can create those blobs with any bootloader version. So you can run the Flatline procedure whenever you're ready (be sure to read the instructions thoroughly and don't do anything if you're not sure), and you can upgrade to the latest bootloader (10.6.1.14.10) and run any custom ROM you want.

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
And the blob files I need to restore the tablet, if it is bricked?
Or is there any other stuff, on which I need that blob files?

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
And the blob files I need to restore the tablet, if it is bricked?
Or is there any other stuff, on which I need that blob files?

You need them only whenever you want to use nvflash - for backing up some of the raw partitions, and for restoring from a hard brick.