Unable to boot into recovery but able to boot system

Search This thread

Al-Man

Feb 14, 2015
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. My tf700 is running Zombi-Pop 5.1.1-OMNI-DEODEX RC2 . I may have wrecked my recovery and boot-loader. My Infinity is unlocked and rooted and had TWRP 2..7.00 or roughly that. In preparation for installing KatKiss 6.0.1 . I updated TWRP to [RECOVERY] KANG TWRP TF700T 2.8.x.x@AREA51 JAN 4 from within TWRP and it completed ok. When I went to reboot into recovery I got a unable to boot error boot-image is unreadable X000000 or something like that, But I am able to boot the system which seems to be working OK. Does anyone know if the is anyway for me to re-flash a working recovery or am I stuck without a recovery? If anyone can help me with this I would much appreciate it.

Cheers Al-Man

ps. I have read loads of posts but I am still unsure as to what is the best course of action. I don't want to make it totally useless.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Your bootloader is fine or you would not be able to boot Android.
Kang TWRP 2.8.x is fine for any current rom so that is not the problem either.
Did you let the tablet reboot after the recovery flash? Sounds to me as if that was when things went south.
So fastboot flash the recovery, then reboot to system once before you try to boot into recovery.
If you don't know how to fastboot flash it's high time you learned it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688891

Al-Man

Feb 14, 2015
Tried Fastbbot still no joy

Your bootloader is fine or you would not be able to boot Android.
Kang TWRP 2.8.x is fine for any current rom so that is not the problem either.
Did you let the tablet reboot after the recovery flash? Sounds to me as if that was when things went south.
So fastboot flash the recovery, then reboot to system once before you try to boot into recovery.
If you don't know how to fastboot flash it's high time you learned it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688891

Thanks for your quick reply bernbib. I have tried to fastboot and load a new recovery image. I am able to see the device using the fastboot devices command. When I flash a new TWRP image it shows the following

twrp.img
sending 'recovery' (7038 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.801s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.541s]
finished. total time: 5.343s
I then try fastboot reboot and all I get is
rebooting......

on the boot loader screen it reads just under the boot version
Starting Fastboot USB download protocol this is constantly showing every time I boot to the boot loader.
and then I reboot from the tablet and its back to square one .
Any Help with this problem would be most appreciated I can still boot to system but I am not able to access recovery.

Many Thanks. Alex

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I just thought I would post a screen shot to see if anyone has any suggestions

View attachment 3863929
Any help with this would be much appreciated. :(:crying:
cheers Alex
I have seen many cases of "unrecoverable bootloader error" but never that you could still boot into system with that error. So I have no idea what is going on for you, but the only method I know of to successfully recover from a unrecoverable bootloader error is to flash the Asus system blob in fastboot after fastboot erasing each major partition. We call it a buster99 and you'll find it here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44244313&postcount=12

Before you do that why don't you try to 'fastboot boot recovery twrp.img' instead of flashing it. You should still be able to use TWRP as usual, flash a rom with it etc. It just does not get installed on the tablet....
See if you can use the recovery that way...

Reactions: Al-Man

Al-Man

Feb 14, 2015
I have seen many cases of "unrecoverable bootloader error" but never that you could still boot into system with that error. So I have no idea what is going on for you, but the only method I know of to successfully recover from a unrecoverable bootloader error is to flash the Asus system blob in fastboot after fastboot erasing each major partition. We call it a buster99 and you'll find it here:

Before you do that why don't you try to 'fastboot boot recovery twrp.img' instead of flashing it. You should still be able to use TWRP as usual, flash a rom with it etc. It just does not get installed on the tablet....

Thanks. berndblb I tried to fastboot twrp from my PC (Ubuntu 14.04) but no joy got the following :crying:

alex@alex-M50SV:~/Android$ fastboot boot recovery twrp.img
cannot load 'recovery': No such file or directory
alex@alex-M50SV:~/Android$ fastboot boot twrp.img
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 7211008 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 2.727s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 2.751s
alex@alex-M50SV:~/Android$ sudo fastboot boot twrp.img
[sudo] password for alex:
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 7211008 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 2.729s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 2.747s
Any other suggestions, I don't like the sound of Buster 99 also tablet is the wife's.
Cheers. Alex

Al-Man

Feb 14, 2015
Buster99 has been a tablet saver for many users.
But if you don't want to do the whole thing try to fastboot erase recovery, cache and misc, then flash TWRP again and see if you can boot it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks berndblb After erasing everthing 3 times I was finally able to flash a new TWRP image. Many Thanks again for all your help. Alex :)

Reactions: osvaldoll

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    But if you don't want to do the whole thing try to fastboot erase recovery, cache and misc, then flash TWRP again and see if you can boot it.

I just thought I would post a screen shot to see if anyone has any suggestions

View attachment 3863929
    Any help with this would be much appreciated. :(:crying:
    cheers Alex

Thanks berndblb After erasing everthing 3 times I was finally able to flash a new TWRP image. Many Thanks again for all your help. Alex :)