2020.. is there a custom ROM for the oldie but goldie TF701 ???

Search This thread

alexdelara

Sep 15, 2017
Cary, NC
Well.... the device still runs pretty good, but I'm afraid soon my two favorite apps will lose compatibility cuz the OS is too old... I like it because of the screen size is the minimum acceptable to be able to read music on it...

So, is out there anything newer than the stock 4.4.2 OS ? Anything ?

Should I resign and accept that soon enough I will be better off throwing it away ? At this point I am becoming more and more of a "I just want to use" than a tinkerer... at the same time I hate discarding good things so I usually keep them until their death - in this case, "inability to breath" :p
but let me hear what you know.
Thanks.
-alex

CheapCookie

Oct 17, 2015
Well.... the device still runs pretty good, but I'm afraid soon my two favorite apps will lose compatibility cuz the OS is too old... I like it because of the screen size is the minimum acceptable to be able to read music on it...

Should I resign and accept that soon enough I will be better off throwing it away ? At this point I am becoming more and more of a "I just want to use" than a tinkerer... at the same time I hate discarding good things so I usually keep them until their death - in this case, "inability to breath" :p
Thanks.
-alex

I've been using a Nougat ROM on this tablet for a couple of years, really stable. Haven't heard about more recent ROMs though.
https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf701/orig-development/rom-t3540259

Reactions: alexdelara

alexdelara

Sep 15, 2017
Cary, NC
Thank you. Do you have all the essential features working alright ? For example, I connect a bluetooth pedal to turn music pages; then i also use Google Drive to import the songs I want to the app, so evidently, WiFi is also essential to me :)
I dont care for camera or anything else, so, is BT and WIFI running fine for you ? Thank you.

alexdelara

Sep 15, 2017
Cary, NC
Well....... once I ran the ASUS bootloader unlock and it rebooted, I knew I was already screwed cuz the damn **** wiped everything ..... so I bit the bullet and went ahead and installed everything: new custom recovery, the Katkiss and went ahead... seems that everything is working though I havent tested BT just yet.
WIFI is working just fine, I reinstalled my previous apps. Will test the BT pedal tomorrow, but so far, looks great ! This should get me running for another 4-5 years LOL
Thanks again for the link. I will go ahead and donate to that guy who made the 7.0.1 thing for us.

alexdelara

Sep 15, 2017
Cary, NC
I used the ROM that is in this thread to replace the stock kitkat (is that what it was before ?) This rom: https://xdaforums.com/tra...t/rom-t3540259

The only two (three?) things I noticed:
1 ) The battery runs faster than on the old original firmware, however, it can be drastically "enhanced" by using "Battery Doctor".

2) Cannot connect anymore to the laptop or any other charger - it simply will not charge from anywhere else that is not the original wall charger.

3) I have not tested the camera simply because, I really don't see a use case for a camera on a tablet - we all have a nice smartphone in our pockets, right ?

What I like, is that everything is quite simple and clean; the home key and those other soft keys at the bottom, stay "On" and have an extra set of useful keys.

I had no problem "updating the tablet" following the steps.

btgunes

Camera

I used the ROM that is in this thread to replace the stock kitkat (is that what it was before ?) This rom: https://xdaforums.com/tra...t/rom-t3540259

The only two (three?) things I noticed:
1 ) The battery runs faster than on the old original firmware, however, it can be drastically "enhanced" by using "Battery Doctor".

2) Cannot connect anymore to the laptop or any other charger - it simply will not charge from anywhere else that is not the original wall charger.

3) I have not tested the camera simply because, I really don't see a use case for a camera on a tablet - we all have a nice smartphone in our pockets, right ?

What I like, is that everything is quite simple and clean; the home key and those other soft keys at the bottom, stay "On" and have an extra set of useful keys.

I had no problem "updating the tablet" following the steps.

Hi,

I is very nice to see still this tablet works fine.

Can you please test the camera? I need to upgrade this tablet in order to use for online courses for kids.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

alexdelara

Sep 15, 2017
Cary, NC
Hi,

I is very nice to see still this tablet works fine.

Can you please test the camera? I need to upgrade this tablet in order to use for online courses for kids.

Thanks in advance.

It works (almost) fine. I'm afraid to say that I have bad news for you ... =
I tried three different camera apps, starting with the "Open camera" and no joy - it says that "the camera seems to be in use by another application" and gives up.

Then I tried two others that came first in the Play Store and got the same kinda of message about not being able to connect to the camera.

Sorry for you who needs the camera - for my own use, it's became good enough.

-Alex

btgunes

It works (almost) fine. I'm afraid to say that I have bad news for you ... =
I tried three different camera apps, starting with the "Open camera" and no joy - it says that "the camera seems to be in use by another application" and gives up.

Then I tried two others that came first in the Play Store and got the same kinda of message about not being able to connect to the camera.

Sorry for you who needs the camera - for my own use, it's became good enough.

-Alex

Thanks for testing..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.
    -alex

I've been using a Nougat ROM on this tablet for a couple of years, really stable. Haven't heard about more recent ROMs though.
    https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf701/orig-development/rom-t3540259