FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Game mode profile

231 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

By StoneRyno, Senior Member on 28th November 2019, 02:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I think just about every game on my oneplus 7 pro triggers a built in thing called gaming mode. Is it possible to create a profile that begins when that gaming mode starts and ends when that gaming mode ends. In this way I adjust things like volume levels and screen on time along with what the gaming mode does. And once for all of them instead of a profile for every game.
28th November 2019, 08:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,423

More
My guess is there is a custom setting that defines the status of the gaming mode. That's only a guess since I don't have a One plus.

You could use the native tasker settings -> custom setting action to see if you can identify what changes when the game mode turns on. Tapping the magnifying icon will bring up an assistant. Once you identify the setting, it can be used in a profile context (system -> custom setting).

From some online reading, I also think that the games that trigger game mode are entered in a list by a user. You could use an app context with each of those games selected so your profile activates whenever the game is in the foreground.

Hitting the gear/cog icon when the profile is selected will bring up settings for the profile. One of those settings is a toggle for restoring settings when the profile exits. In the case of an app trigger, when a different app is in the foreground, the settings made in your entry task will revert.
29th November 2019, 01:33 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

My guess is there is a custom setting that defines the status of the gaming mode. That's only a guess since I don't have a One plus.

You could use the native tasker settings -> custom setting action to see if you can identify what changes when the game mode turns on. Tapping the magnifying icon will bring up an assistant. Once you identify the setting, it can be used in a profile context (system -> custom setting).

Upon starting a game that starts game mode the only thing that this method finds is a screen brightness change. when used from state. And nothing when used from event. Strange because if a game is triggering a system setting or something there should be something for tasker to see get triggered so a profile could tie into running while it is active. Much like a profile that would trigger upon phone charging for example and end when not plugged in to charge any more. Any other idea how i can identify what is triggered (for game mode on/off) to set a profile to run along with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

From some online reading, I also think that the games that trigger game mode are entered in a list by a user. You could use an app context with each of those games selected so your profile activates whenever the game is in the foreground.

Hitting the gear/cog icon when the profile is selected will bring up settings for the profile. One of those settings is a toggle for restoring settings when the profile exits. In the case of an app trigger, when a different app is in the foreground, the settings made in your entry task will revert.

Yes in game mode you add whatever games you want to trigger the mode. On my LG G4 I had a profile for each game but the profiles were problematic. Some of them would turn on and off while the game was still running. If I can have a profile that runs when game mode is active and ends when game mode is not then I would completely avoid having a new profile for every game.
29th November 2019, 02:24 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,423

More
I was suggesting using the custom setting action in a task to determine the setting. Then use that information in a profile to monitor it.

You can attempt to manually identify the custom setting (if that's what is controlling game mode). See here.

I'm thinking the mode reverts as soon as you leave the game to return to Tasker, so the built in assistant may not catch the change. Grabbing the settings via ADB and running a diff on the before and after may be the only way to go.

Otherwise, someone in the device forums might have insight how this mode is monitored.

As far as the app trigger approach, sometimes you can stabilize the task by putting a wait action at the start of an exit task and then stop the exit task of the calling profile is active (%PACTIVE).
30th November 2019, 05:38 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for the reply with a method to identify the setting. Assuming that it is a setting. Using the custom setting action is a task when tapping on the icon it says to toggle the setting and return to tasker to find out what it is the results ended the same as attempting to use it by the other ways. It returned nothing or brightness found. I'll have to give the method in the link a try and see what happens. Will report back, might be a couple days.
2nd December 2019, 07:00 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
I finally was able to identify the setting for making the profile, thanks much for the help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)