FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][Difficulty: Beginner] Shake your Phone to Increase Brightness

833 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,866

Post Reply Email Thread
If you dislike Android's auto-brightness implementation or have turned it off entirely, then this guide will help you set-up Tasker to toggle the brightness whenever you shake your phone. This is helpful for when you're outside and would rather not reach for the brightness slider (which can be difficult for larger phones while one-handed).

Instructions
  1. Create a new Profile and name it "Toggle Brightness."
  2. Create an Event context and go to Sensor. Pick the Shake event. For Axis, I recommend Left-Right as this is a pretty natural way to shake the device. For Sensitivity, I recommend Very Low so you don't accidentally toggle the brightness. You can also leave it at Low in case you think you're having to shake it to hard to get it to work, however. For the Duration, I would pick Medium. You can experiment with these settings until you're comfortable.
  3. Exit and create a task. No need to name it since it's unlikely you'll use this task elsewhere.

1. Task --> If. Set it to %BRIGHT ~ 255. This will check if the device brightness is already at maximum.
  2. Display --> Display Brightness. Set the Level to %Bright. This will be the saved brightness that will be restored when you shake the device again.
  3. OPTIONAL: Display --> Display Timeout. Set the display timeout to restore to what you normally use.
  4. Task --> Else.
  5. Variables --> Variable Set. Set %Bright to %BRIGHT. You're storing the current brightness level to a variable to restore on next shake.
  6. Display --> Display Brightness. Level 255. You're setting the brightness to maximum.
  7. OPTIONAL: Display --> Display Timeout. Set this to a higher display timeout in case that's what you want.
  8. Task --> End If.

That's it! Now when you shake your phone, your brightness will toggle between maximum and whatever it is you had before you switched to the maximum.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MishaalRahman Ad-Free

8th March 2016, 09:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Thanks for the tutorial. I got it to work but it won't revert back to the original state it was in. It keeps going back to like 15% or so. Any idea why? Double checked and have everything the same that's in your screenshot
9th March 2016, 12:13 AM |#3  
Flag Zadupie
Thanks Meter: 101

More
I can't pass through point 2 how to set brightness level to %Bright ? I can only set it from 0 to 255 with slider there is no text input field
9th March 2016, 01:18 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 397

Donate to Me
More
Very nice guide, works perfectly. Only thing is, the new version of tasker doesn't have some of the same settings. Take for example, step 2 where you put "Level %Bright", I only have a slider to set brightness. Got it figured out none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino5

I can't pass through point 2 how to set brightness level to %Bright ? I can only set it from 0 to 255 with slider there is no text input field

I just set the slider to 15%
The Following User Says Thank You to kenboyles72 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenboyles72 Ad-Free
9th March 2016, 03:22 AM |#5  
OP Editor in Chief

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenboyles72

Very nice guide, works perfectly. Only thing is, the new version of tasker doesn't have some of the same settings. Take for example, step 2 where you put "Level %Bright", I only have a slider to set brightness. Got it figured out none the less.

I just set the slider to 15%

Sorry, there is some confusion here (it's a problem with Tasker's UI being so clunky!) By default, certain actions such as changing the brightness show a pre-defined slider that you can move up and down, however you CAN use a variable to set the brightness like I mentioned.

When you enter the Display --> Display Brightness screen, click on the little double arrow criss-cross icon near the top right and it will switch the slider view to a text input view. Here, you can simply write in %Bright and tasker will interpret the variable as a number that will set the brightness. Keep in mind that %Bright must be between 0 and 255 because those are the only acceptable values for the brightness, however this should not cause any problems because you are simply setting brightness to whatever it was previously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MishaalRahman Ad-Free
9th March 2016, 10:52 AM |#6  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaalRahman

Sorry, there is some confusion here (it's a problem with Tasker's UI being so clunky!) By default, certain actions such as changing the brightness show a pre-defined slider that you can move up and down, however you CAN use a variable to set the brightness like I mentioned.

When you enter the Display --> Display Brightness screen, click on the little double arrow criss-cross icon near the top right and it will switch the slider view to a text input view. Here, you can simply write in %Bright and tasker will interpret the variable as a number that will set the brightness. Keep in mind that %Bright must be between 0 and 255 because those are the only acceptable values for the brightness, however this should not cause any problems because you are simply setting brightness to whatever it was previously.

I do not see any criss-scross icon in the top right as you mentioned!
9th March 2016, 01:57 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Where to add if I am to tell Tasker to turn brightness to 30% after a certain period of time ?
By the way , Thanks to the tips and it works perfectly !

Just want to add an additional task the let tasker return to a lower brigntness automatically say in about 5 minutes or so.....
Where I should put this in ? ( i.e. after ' End if ' ? )
9th March 2016, 03:44 PM |#8  
Flag Bhaktapur
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaalRahman

If you dislike Android's auto-brightness implementation or have turned it off entirely, then this guide will help you set-up Tasker to toggle the brightness whenever you shake your phone. This is helpful for when you're outside and would rather not reach for the brightness slider (which can be difficult for larger phones while one-handed).

Instructions

1. Create a new Profile and name it "Toggle Brightness."
  2. Create an Event context and go to Sensor. Pick the Shake event. For Axis, I recommend Left-Right as this is a pretty natural way to shake the device. For Sensitivity, I recommend Very Low so you don't accidentally toggle the brightness. You can also leave it at Low in case you think you're having to shake it to hard to get it to work, however. For the Duration, I would pick Medium. You can experiment with these settings until you're comfortable.
  3. Exit and create a task. No need to name it since it's unlikely you'll use this task elsewhere.

1. Task --> If. Set it to %BRIGHT ~ 255. This will check if the device brightness is already at maximum.
  2. Display --> Display Brightness. Set the Level to %Bright. This will be the saved brightness that will be restored when you shake the device again.
  3. OPTIONAL: Display --> Display Timeout. Set the display timeout to restore to what you normally use.
  4. Task --> Else.
  5. Variables --> Variable Set. Set %Bright to %BRIGHT. You're storing the current brightness level to a variable to restore on next shake.
  6. Display --> Display Brightness. Level 255. You're setting the brightness to maximum.
  7. OPTIONAL: Display --> Display Timeout. Set this to a higher display timeout in case that's what you want.
  8. Task --> End If.

That's it! Now when you shake your phone, your brightness will toggle between maximum and whatever it is you had before you switched to the maximum.

Can you make a video tutorial as i'm not into these stuff. Few step by step pics would work.. If you want to....😯
9th March 2016, 05:34 PM |#9  
Flag rohtak
Thanks Meter: 3

More
i did these all steps
But when i turn this profile on my screen brightness continously changes without any action

It becomes max nd min regularly infinite times withou shacking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S60309-230528.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	3676576  
10th March 2016, 08:16 PM |#10  
OP Editor in Chief

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3XER

Can you make a video tutorial as i'm not into these stuff. Few step by step pics would work.. If you want to....😯

The text guide I wrote shows you how to add everything step by step. Try it out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitkhokhar

i did these all steps
But when i turn this profile on my screen brightness continously changes without any action

It becomes max nd min regularly infinite times withou shacking

That is because you're running the task, and haven't linked it to a profile. You need to create a profile and just leave it be. Don't click on the run button.
The Following User Says Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MishaalRahman Ad-Free
11th March 2016, 02:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkinger

I do not see any criss-scross icon in the top right as you mentioned!

Go in to your UI preferences and uncheck Beginner Mode. It should pop out then.
The Following User Says Thank You to lengz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lengz Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brightness, shake, tasker, timeout, toggle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)