FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OpenVPN 3.0.X - Connect and Disconnect with Tasker (Solution)

654 posts
Thanks Meter: 581

By mmotti, Senior Member on 16th February 2018, 01:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th September 2018, 05:15 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Any way to start the VPN in the background?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

16th October 2018, 10:11 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Still not working
It opens OpenVPN but doesn't connect.

26th October 2018, 03:00 AM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I too am having an issue getting this to work. But I am a n00b.

I guess firstly, I should say that this is my first Tasker task. And I've tried to figure out how to get Logs on Tasker to diagnose my issue, but everytime I go to Run Log, it is blank with nothing there. So as of now I have no way of troubleshooting, other than the myriad of combinations I have tried to get this to work. I also don't understand some of the suggestions look like code to me, but my app seems entirely GUI, so if anyone has any tips on how to code solutions that would be appreciated too. I am using Tasker, OpenVPN Tasker Plugin, and OpenVPN for Android.

Anyways, here is what I have:

Profile named "Wifi Connected"
SSID: mywifi
MAC: blank
IP: blank
Active: Any
Invert: unchecked

Entry Task: OpenVPN VPN Connect, configuration Connect
Exit Task: OpenVPN VPN Disconnect, configuration Disconnect

What is happening:
I come into range of "mywifi" (or alternatively I just turn router on) and nothing on my phone changes. If I unlock my phone to check, the "mywifi" is connected, but the VPN is not. If I open Tasker, I can see that my profile is highlighted in green, so it must be recognizing the state right? So then if I muck around with the on/off buttons or if I close and reopen tasker, yes the VPN will eventually connect but only if I have interacted with the app in some way. I've tried various combinations of waiting for some time, closing the app manually, etc...

The same goes for disconnecting. If I go away from "mywifi" (or turn off the router), the state stops being green but OpenVPN remains connected. It will stay connected even on LTE, and then if I connect to a different Wifi afterwards, it will again remain connected. It won't disconnect unless I muck around with the various on/off buttons in Tasker or if I manually disconnect in the OpenVPN app.

If anyone could provide me any breadcrumbs as to how to figure this out?

(on a side note, I would love to get wifi-tethering to automate with Tasker too but my understanding is a root is required, which I have not done yet as I am too n00b at this stage. Unless anyone knows of a non-root alternative for that, but I will make a different post for that issue once I can work this one out) edit - found this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ng-to-t3765373 but the app doesn't offer the option of Bluetooth NEAR, it's only if Bluetooth is connected - doesn't work for me since my partner wants her phone Bluetoothed to the head unit, but my phone for the wifi tethering).

Thank you!
14th February 2019, 02:23 AM |#34  

More
Seems like the OpenVPN plugin is no longer supported. I am having more success using intents and Open VPN Connect App (not Open VPN for Android app). But still not 100%.
28th February 2019, 10:05 AM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for this
1st March 2019, 04:22 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXIc Games

It opens OpenVPN but doesn't connect.

I have the exact thing but no spaces between : and PC for PROFILE_NAME:PC and no space between : and true for Autoconnect:true

Try it. see if it helps. I think this fixed mine. I also had an issue with PIA that the profile I downloaded was US West and it did not like the space. I had to rename it to uswest and change in the config. Hope this helps you.
20th March 2019, 12:45 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Not working on OpenVPN 3.0.5.

I had it working for 3.0.1 if I recall correctly.

Has anything got changed?

It opens OpenVPN app but it does not connect to the profile.
13th July 2019, 10:31 AM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have the same problem. It just opens the App and shows me the profile. Any solutions for this?
13th August 2019, 07:46 PM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfromeo

Not working on OpenVPN 3.0.5.

I had it working for 3.0.1 if I recall correctly.

Has anything got changed?

It opens OpenVPN app but it does not connect to the profile.

Not working here either in 3.0.5

I can disconnect the VPN so the app listens to the intends, but I can't connect my profile.

I've tried every single option with spaces before and after each "PC" without spaces in the profile name (yes, while imported)... still nothing. The VPN app does not even start.
14th August 2019, 12:38 PM |#40  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Hi all, sorry for my silly question. I am trying to make task with tasker to activate private dns on specific app launches so i can avoid from ads. Is this way for that ?
16th August 2019, 01:34 AM |#41  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksim789

I have the same problem. It just opens the App and shows me the profile. Any solutions for this?

I am having more success using intents and Open VPN Connect App (not Open VPN for Android app)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
3.0.0, openvpn, solution, tasker

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)