[Plugin] Hotword Plugin Free

Search This thread

faranone

Apr 15, 2019
halp

Hi,
I'm encountering a problem i tried to solve by myself but i can't find a working solution. I'm trying to invoke the google assistant by a personalized hotword with your plugin and Tasker, but when your plugin has microphone services activated the google assistant says "can't reach Google at the moment". Works fine if the plugin is not listening.
So i tried turning off and on the plugin while google assistant is on ( with Tasker ), but this method somehow works only the first time, then i have to manually reboot the plugin to let it function again.
Do you have any advice?
Thank you :)

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Hi,
I'm encountering a problem i tried to solve by myself but i can't find a working solution. I'm trying to invoke the google assistant by a personalized hotword with your plugin and Tasker, but when your plugin has microphone services activated the google assistant says "can't reach Google at the moment". Works fine if the plugin is not listening.
So i tried turning off and on the plugin while google assistant is on ( with Tasker ), but this method somehow works only the first time, then i have to manually reboot the plugin to let it function again.
Do you have any advice?
Thank you :)
This is exactly why I added the setting to disable hotword plugin listening in apps that require microphone access, like Google Assistant. If you enable that setting it should work fine.

faranone

Apr 15, 2019
This is exactly why I added the setting to disable hotword plugin listening in apps that require microphone access, like Google Assistant. If you enable that setting it should work fine.

Thank you for your answer.
Well, the first time worked and i was "wow, it was that simple!!"..
Now it doesn't work anymore. And it takes like 30 seconds to 1 minute between each hotword recognition.. :c

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Thank you for your answer.
Well, the first time worked and i was "wow, it was that simple!!"..
Now it doesn't work anymore. And it takes like 30 seconds to 1 minute between each hotword recognition.. :c
That's weird. What happens when you have the ding enabled? Do you hear the ding when you say the hotword and then it takes a minute to get to Tasker?
In that case make sure to disable all battery saving functions for Tasker.

a5538544

Jul 29, 2018
Thank you, the author and @trohn_javolta. It's working good even on Android TV.
I know it's not intended usage, but I have few problems I need some help.
1. Parameters(sensitivity/gain) can not be saved.
2. System sound become low while this plugin is active.

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Thank you, the author and @trohn_javolta. It's working good even on Android TV.
I know it's not intended usage, but I have few problems I need some help.
1. Parameters(sensitivity/gain) can not be saved.
2. System sound become low while this plugin is active.
Nice to hear you got it working on Android TV!
I have no clue how those values cannot be saved. I assume you press okay for the sensitivity? XD Plus the audio gain saves itself whenever you move the bar. I agree that normally you use touch to move it, so that might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Can you try it with a mouse?

The app doesn't touch the volume so it might be something else causing the volume to drop when the microphone is active.

Reactions: a5538544

a5538544

Jul 29, 2018
Nice to hear you got it working on Android TV!
I have no clue how those values cannot be saved. I assume you press okay for the sensitivity? XD Plus the audio gain saves itself whenever you move the bar. I agree that normally you use touch to move it, so that might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Can you try it with a mouse?

The app doesn't touch the volume so it might be something else causing the volume to drop when the microphone is active.

Thanks for the response and your long-term support of the app.
You're totally right. I tried with mouse and now it's fine. Forgive my nooby question.

a5538544

Jul 29, 2018
Can you tell me how you got this working on android tv? It crashes on mine.

Sorry for my late reply.
My English is not good so, please read previews conversation between the author and @trohn_javolta. It'll make better sense.
Anyway, on Android TV ( -Android 9), multi apps can't access single microphone at the same time.
So you need to stop Hotword Plugin before Google.app access a microphone by using Tasker.
I still don't know what is the best approach to restart Plugin because Google.app does not tell when it release a mic.

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Sorry for my late reply.
My English is not good so, please read previews conversation between the author and @trohn_javolta. It'll make better sense.
Anyway, on Android TV ( -Android 9), multi apps can't access single microphone at the same time.
So you need to stop Hotword Plugin before Google.app access a microphone by using Tasker.
I still don't know what is the best approach to restart Plugin because Google.app does not tell when it release a mic.

Hotword plugin does this itself using the setting that stops the microphone from listening in apps with microphone permission. But that doesn't work on Android TV?
If it indeed doesn't work, you'll need to use tasker to disable hotword plugin when apps like google assistant are opened and enable it again when it closes.
Or you disable hotword plugin and enable it again after 30 seconds or so if you use it to tell Google Assistant to do something for instance.

a5538544

Jul 29, 2018
Hotword plugin does this itself using the setting that stops the microphone from listening in apps with microphone permission. But that doesn't work on Android TV?
If it indeed doesn't work, you'll need to use tasker to disable hotword plugin when apps like google assistant are opened and enable it again when it closes.
Or you disable hotword plugin and enable it again after 30 seconds or so if you use it to tell Google Assistant to do something for instance.

I think Plugin's Implemented function itself is working well also on Android TV!
But not only for Google.app on Android TV (com.google.android.katniss) because katniss is not shown up as Activity(?)
few lines from dumpsys while Assistant responding (#1 is from my android tab #2 is from my android tv)
Anyway, I think set timeout is best for now because sometimes Assistant stays for long to show the information.

Last edited:

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Hi @Humpie on my Oneplus 7T Pro I always get a system warning that HotwordPlugin has a very high battery usage. Is that something you could look into?

Thanks!

Don't worry, Oneplus always complains that everything uses much battery. Yes, Hotwordplugin uses more battery than the average app, however it's using as little as possible. Although, having an app listen to your microphone at all time and process to check whether a hotword is said comes at a slight battery cost. That's just unavoidable. Google overcomes this by putting an extra physical chip in the phone to process "Okay Google" commands.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 11
In case you take ideas for further development, I'd love to see some customization options for the hotword-detected sound. Right now, that ping is shrill and very loud compared to other sounds on my device. It even scares passengers in my car.

It would be great if you could make the volume of that ping as a user setting. And related: maybe that notification sound could be chosen by the user as well.

Just my 2ct, thanks for your already great product!

Humpie

Recognized Developer
In case you take ideas for further development, I'd love to see some customization options for the hotword-detected sound. Right now, that ping is shrill and very loud compared to other sounds on my device. It even scares passengers in my car.

It would be great if you could make the volume of that ping as a user setting. And related: maybe that notification sound could be chosen by the user as well.

Just my 2ct, thanks for your already great product!

Well, you've got Tasker, don't you? ;)
I just left the ping sound in for debugging purposes really, to see whether a hotword works at all. However you can just turn it off and play any sound any way you like it using a task in tasker.
As for notification sounds, you can change that using the notification settings on your phone! Long press the notification to make it silent, minimized, change the sound etc.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 11
Hi, thanks.
I was looking in the app settings, for controlling the ping, and didn't find it. I now found it is a setting in each hotword separately. Disabling it can only be done there.

My Android 10 notification settings for this app were set to silent already, that obviously gets overruled. Should it?

Thanks for the tip of doing another sound with Tasker. I could indeed play a different sound in the first action of the tasks that get called by the hotword plugin.

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Hi, thanks.
I was looking in the app settings, for controlling the ping, and didn't find it. I now found it is a setting in each hotword separately. Disabling it can only be done there.

My Android 10 notification settings for this app were set to silent already, that obviously gets overruled. Should it?

Thanks for the tip of doing another sound with Tasker. I could indeed play a different sound in the first action of the tasks that get called by the hotword plugin.
Yup you're right. It's on a per-hotword basis.

It shouldn't get overruled, however you need to change the settings for the proper notification channel instead of the entire app. Maybe that's something you could try?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The site https://snowboy.kitt.ai does not exist ?

I trien with all browsers but the site does not exist.

How can I create a new hotword ?
    Yes, the site has unfortunately been taken down by Snowboy :(. But I put up little helper site where you can train new hotwords yourself. It's not as good as snowboys pretrained ones, but it's the best we can get atm.
    Check https://snowboy.jolanrensen.nl/ or hit the download button in Hotword Plugin
    Hi everyone!
    After my first plugin I had an idea of creating another one, but this time not an "action" but an "event".

The free but ad-supported version of the plugin can be found here and if you want to support the development and don't have ads you can find the paid one here.

Of course the description can be found there, but as a quick recap, this plugin can listen for hotwords and signal Tasker when a hotword is recognized!
    It uses Snowboy Hotword to listen to the mic and process what it hears super fast and completely locally.
    Hotword models can be found and trained at the Snowboy Website and the downloaded model can be imported in my plugin.
    Next from Tasker you can create an event of the Hotword Plugin and tap on the hotword you want to react to, next you can do with it what you want!
    You can listen to multiple hotwords at the same time and run a different event for each one. So for example if you shout "lights on" the lights might turn on and if you shout "play music" the music starts playing.
    You can see it as AutoVoice Continuous but a lot faster and more consistent, plus you can train any hotword you like and pronounce it in any language you prefer (to be defined at the website).
    Of course you can modify the sensitivity if you feel like it can't hear you or if it goes off all the time and you can start or stop the service via a Tasker action if you like.
    Personally I use the app in combination with my ADB shell plugin to launch assistant on my NVIDIA Shield AndroidTV handsfree by shouting "hey google" to an old android phone lying besides the tv.

Since a lot of time went into developing this plugin and making it work (a way lot more than my last plugin) I put it in the Play Store for the price of a small coffee but since I know people like free apps, I decided to also create an add supported version.
    Again, you can find the free version here and the ad-free version here (Of course I will update both at about the same time when I fix something).
    So if you like the idea and want to try it out please have a look!
    And if you have any questions, troubles, ideas, bugs (yes I'm sure they're there even after thoroughly testing), please leave them below!

Edit: If you don't have access to the Google Play store, I just uploaded both versions to XDA Labs:
    Paid version
    Free version
    I've released stable version 2.0!
    From the latest beta I've
    -fixed the toast bug (thanks @sherdog16)
    -added ability to disable hotwords (thanks @geigervibe)
    -renamed/resized/redesigned some stuff so it should work better on all screen sizes
    Thanks for all your help!
    Now I can work again on my other apps (if you like the Harry Potter 2 Weasley clock, be prepared)
    New release! v1.4

- Added toast toggle
    - Added ability to stop service after single hotword detection (saves you a step in Tasker)
    - Listening toggle now updates live
    @Desmanto This one is for you, thanks again for the ideas
    I've been looking into ways to train new hotwords yourself and published a simple website (created by rhasspy) to do so: snowboy.jolanrensen.nl (if the url doesn't work yet, hotwordplugin-image-kmpzomnrva-uc.a.run.app should. The DNS is still updating or whatever).

From my experience the results are not very good however... Even with like 10 samples, which makes sense, since the original Snowboy website had thousands of samples. So, hopefully someone has the time (and money) to host something similar to what Snowboy had before. If all works well for a couple of days,
    I'll add a link to my new website in the Hotword Plugin app as well, but I hoped the results would be better...
    (Remember there are still some fully trained samples at Github)
    This might be a silly question but if your app locks up the microphone how can I talk on the phone if someone calls me?
    create a new profile based on event picking up calls, make it switch off service.
    create another one with state phone idle, make it turning service back on, or maybe combining by using its exit task to turn off service.
    I would prefer 2 different profiles for the sake of stability, but try each it first and decide for yourself:)