FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Tasker, Pixel 4, and setting ring profiles when docked, based on which dock I'm using

135 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By Mikey1969, Senior Member on 10th January 2020, 06:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys,
Looking to up my game with automations on my phone and set ringer profiles. I have WiFi on all of the time anyway, so I'm setting ring profiles based on being at work, being at home, night, day, etc.

But I'm thinking of kind of next-leveling it, and wanted to see just where I would start, if I need add-ons for Tasker, stuff like that.

So I have only gotten around to making a 'night' routine for Tasker. IF I'm home and IF the time is in a certain range, it goes silent. That way, if I'm lucky enough to actually be out, the phone still makes sound, but not when I'm trying to sleep. The next level I would like to try is different profiles based on what I'm doing at home or at work, using NFC. More specifically, I have a wireless charging dock at my desk, and one at home. I work IT, so I spend about half of my day at the desk, and half working the office floor. The floor is a little louder than my office (OK, a LOT louder), so I would prefer a different ring volume for each.

So when docked (At the dock at work), I'd like my volume to be minimal. As soon as I take it off the dock (But still at work), I'd like it to be mid-range. Re-dock it, goes to the low volume again. Leave work, full volume.

Similar thing I'd like to try at home. Any time of night, if it's not docked (In the home dock), it's a relatively normal volume. Dock it, and the hours fit into the specified range, and it goes silent.

I'd also like to change the behavior of the screen based on these. At work, the clock is on, at home(When I'm trying to sleep), the clock is off and the screen is dark.

So I know to do this, I need NFC tags on each charger, I've looked up interference from the chargers, and it seems to be a mixed bag. I could play with where to place the tag exactly, that's not an issue, but if I'm going to automate, I'd love to do this as automated as possible, if you know what I mean. Rather than tap it on a tag, I'd love to just set it in the dock or pick it up to activate it. So that's it. Anyone have any suggestion on a brand of tag, a specific criteria I may need to look for (I don't know if these things have ratings or anything like that), and any extensions or companions I need for Tasker to do something like this? Any help, as always, will be greatly appreciated, and feel free to ask followup questions if I was unclear on anything.
10th January 2020, 08:05 PM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,688

More
I don't really see why you NFC. Assuming you know whether you're at work or home based on the WiFi, then you can know whether you are on a wireless charger based on a profile state of power -> power -> wireless.

As a completely unrelated idea, if your P4 is rooted, and the device spends a bit of time on a charger, you might look at Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) (XDA thread
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
10th January 2020, 08:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

I don't really see why you NFC. Assuming you know whether you're at work or home based on the WiFi, then you can know whether you are on a wireless charger based on a profile state of power -> power -> wireless.

As a completely unrelated idea, if your P4 is rooted, and the device spends a bit of time on a charger, you might look at Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) (XDA thread

Part of it is on the dock in the office vs. off the dock, walking around the office. Part of it is on the dock at home, vs. plugged into power, sitting next to the TV in the living room. Same with work. If I'm working in a conference room, I might just bring a charger and cable in there, but might still want the ringer loud. SO I'm kind of compartmentalizing both work and home, based on which area I'm in.

Part of it is also playing with Tasker, NFC tags, and all of those possibilities.

And unfortunately, a Verizon phone, so they've hosed me(As usual), and I don't think, even with it being a Pixel, that I can root it. :-
10th January 2020, 08:43 PM |#4  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,688

More
Since I think your question is, do I need any plugins to read NFC, the answer is no.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
10th January 2020, 08:47 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Oh wait, I see the part now about wired vs. unwired power. Got it!

I'll try that, see how it works for me.
11th January 2020, 04:43 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks, your basic tips have helped me. I now have a work day profile, a weeknight profile, and a weekend profile(Morning noisy time is later on the weekend), all based on whether it is charging wirelessly or not and where I am.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)