Touch screen problem

Search This thread

scotia_rfc

Jan 16, 2009
Port Glasgow
HTC have mailed me today asking for me to send my unit in for repair.

I'm in 2 minds as to do this or not. They have quoted this to me in the email :

Repairs will take approximately 5 business days excluding the shipment and it's subject to parts availability.

Which probably means 10 days or more.

Decisions decisions!

Reactions: Jadraker

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
I have the same issue, and had them on both my U11s. Also I randomly have an instance of missed haptic feedback/key stroke.

It happened on my previous U11 which I returned as the oleophobic coating wasnt applied properly...

I'm hoping a sw update will sort it, because it's really frustrating.

WRXinNoCo

Aug 16, 2017
OK... I thought things were getting better but over the weekend the issue came back and has gotten worse. Today I decided to play around with the line Test under the *#*#3424#*#* menu (someone had posted this earlier). I had done this before and had not issues drawing lines, however today noticed two things.... while drawing vertical and horizontal lines.

1) Towards the bottom where a Keyboard would be, the line would break up. No matter which direction I would go the line at the bottom of the screen would break up.

2) A couple of times while I was testing and drawing a horizontal line it would shoot up to the top of the screen, even though I was still moving right to left.

I got a screen capture of the issue, and will be calling HTC this evening and see what they want to do. I am hoping I can get them to send me a replacement (without using Ooh! Protection). I know others have tried...has anyone actually sent in their U11 for repair? Has it helped?

WRXinNoCo

Aug 16, 2017
Worked with HTC last night via chat about this issue. I had 4 screen captures of the lines from both the *#*# line test, and from the HTC HELP app, there is a line test option under Hardware misbehaving -> Hardware diagnostic. They asked for me to send them the screen shots, and after review the rep came back saying this was a hardware problem and would need to get the phone serviced.

At first the rep offered to do a Swap of the phone, but when they went to order it there was no inventory available. It sounds like there may be other options, but they just don't have the inventory to do it right now :(

At this point my only option is to send in the phone for repair, which they are saying now it is taking about 20 days. I am working on setting up a backup phone and will probably send mine in.

I did talk to friend of mine who bought theirs after the red version became available in the U.S., so about a 6 weeks after release; and they have not had a problem. They ran the line test and no issues. I Pre-ordered mine; wondering if it is just early versions having the issue. Has everyone else having this problem been a early version? Anyone who has gotten their phone after the end of June having issues?

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
I found the issue, done a line test if I hit two points it 5/10 times draws a straight line. Hence the phone registers ghost touches when typing quickly on the keyboard. I'll do a screen recording and upload and return my phone for a third...

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Found the issue, when touching two points of the screen in succession it register a straight line touch. Hence the phone acting all crazy occasionally.

Here's a video I just uploaded:
https://youtu.be/fb_CNhN1JSw

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Can someone with a working U11 please do the same and post results?

Basically touch the keyboard area like you're typing fast and see if a straight line is registered.

Reactions: [Fenix]

WRXinNoCo

Aug 16, 2017
yep that is what mine was doing....I would draw a line across and all of a sudden the line would shoot across the screen. Did not try just touching in different points, but it was at random spots across the screen. Was yours a pre-order?

[Fenix]

Jan 6, 2011
Italy
www.youtube.com
Google Pixel 4 XL
I found the issue, done a line test if I hit two points it 5/10 times draws a straight line. Hence the phone registers ghost touches when typing quickly on the keyboard. I'll do a screen recording and upload and return my phone for a third...

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Found the issue, when touching two points of the screen in succession it register a straight line touch. Hence the phone acting all crazy occasionally.

Here's a video I just uploaded:

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Can someone with a working U11 please do the same and post results?

Basically touch the keyboard area like you're typing fast and see if a straight line is registered.

Now I get it. I could repeat the same bug by using the drawing test: by tapping two points in quick succession, a line is drawn that combines the points touched. That's basically what happens when using keyboard. But other than this, I never esperienced ghost touch in normal use.

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
yep that is what mine was doing....I would draw a line across and all of a sudden the line would shoot across the screen. Did not try just touching in different points, but it was at random spots across the screen. Was yours a pre-order?

No but judging by both units having the early software versions on them I'd say they're early units. I don't think sales have been amazing in the UK...so I'm going to wait a few days for stock to clear in the hopes to get a later version of the phone.

WRXinNoCo

Aug 16, 2017
@Doughnut

I don't think it is Software, the tech I talked with indicated it was hardware.

I found this on the web for how to identify where your HTC Phone build information:

Check S/N (serial number) under Settings > About > Phone identity. Or on the box.

First two letters of S/N

HT = Hsinchu, Taiwan
FA = Taiwan
SH = Shanghai, China
SZ = Shenzhen, China
CH = Wuhan, China

This at least the information that I’ve currently got. If there’s more information. Please Let Me Know.

With phones made in 2014 and on (this checks out on my One M8)
FA45Dyyzzzzz
Taiwan, 2014, May (5), 13 (D)
With the following structure

FFYMDyyzzzzz

FF = Factory, look at list above
Y = Year (4 = 2014)
M = Month (hex 1…C = 1 – 12 months)
D = Day (hex 1…9A..Z = 1 – 31 days)
yy = Part Code
zzzzz : Identification Number (decimal)

Month should be in decimal form, but can be in hex form.

Days will go from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z. Day Z represents day 31.

This looks to be from 2014 and if it holds true here is how my device breaks down:

FA = Taiwan
7 = 2017
6 = June
2 = Second Day

For those of use having the issue maybe check your information.

Also if any one else can confirm that they are not having the issue with a more recent build dates that would help us know when the issue was resolved.

TailsNeon556

Jun 22, 2009
NYC
I've been having this issue for a few days now on my U11. Found a glitch in the screen draw test. As if scrolling on the screen normally at certain points the draw line shoots immediately up off the screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170823-121425.png
    Screenshot_20170823-121425.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 218

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
Hmm, so it seems the digitiser has a range of issues, I'm starting to wonder if people aren't realising it and thinking it's normal and or their finger must of slipped etc.

Other than this issue, I actually love the phone, I'm going to see how a replacement unit behaves, if it still has issues I might actually rethink my device choice.

I've been an avid HTC fan since the i-mate days (anyone remember the i-mate jam...) but this is really unacceptable :-/

killa_byte

Oct 6, 2010
Manchester
so it guess it wasnt only me who has this issue. as i said in my previous posts, mine doesnt happen so often but when it does it lasts for around 15 mins and then goes back to normal, but its hella annoying!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I reported my issues to HTC and they replied with the following :

To test the function of the touch screen please follow the below steps
    1- Dial *#*#3424#*#* > the press accept.
    2- From the options, mark Line drawing test > then press run.
    3- Then start drawing on the screen to check if there are parts that do not respond

The screen does not have any dead or unresponsive spots tho and the test passes without any issues.

Does anyone experience the keyboard collapses also?

I might do a full reset soon to see if that helps any. If not i will be getting back in touch with HTC.
    Hi guys,

i'm having an issue with my HTC u11, basically when i'm using the phone randomly the swipe down screen (when you swipe the screen down from top to bottom to get the notifications) comes down.

For example if while i am writing a message then drop down screen will come down when i'm typing, i then have to swipe up and continue and again.

it happens more or less all the time and is quite annoying.

any ideas?
    its okay, issue resolved. NOVA Setting had gesture switched on. Swipe down for notification menu, this was the issue. lol :)

PLease close the thread.

Thanks
    Did all this as well, and all the tests that I've ran pass just fine. I've also done a hard reset and it didn't make any difference. I do notice that after a soft reset that it takes a while for it to happen again. It's annoying as hell so I will be monitoring this thread. Whatever you find out from htc please update this thread so we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    HTC have mailed me today asking for me to send my unit in for repair.

I'm in 2 minds as to do this or not. They have quoted this to me in the email :

Repairs will take approximately 5 business days excluding the shipment and it's subject to parts availability.

Which probably means 10 days or more.

Decisions decisions!