150 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By Infinity02, Senior Member on 12th August 2017, 04:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
All credits goes to B-S-G
His original thread
and Thanks to XDA Headlines!
Link for GC

U11 Camera for still photos is (probably?) the best in class right now, but not without flaw that is overexposure.
As soon as the Modded HDR+ GC has become available I have decided to compare some shots with Stock camera w/HDR and Google Camera w/HDR+ enabled.

Here are some comparisons and my opinions.

Lowlight
http://imgur.com/2ziArQB

With Google Cam overexposure and blown out highlights are no longer an issue. However, the details in the shadow area of the low light image will get smudged out thanks to the noise reduction and/or become too dark.
on Stock HTC Sharpening is harsher than GC when 100% zoomed in but not as much as Sammy. The color on stock app is much more vibrant as well, but that comes with noisy image.
As a photographer I'd prefer lower noise image, but for smartphone camera that is not a very important thing comparing to, say, details in the dark area.

Overall Exposure and Details
http://imgur.com/Rqjk2hL

GC did a great job keeping all the details in highlight areas while stock app blown them to bits.
Colors, yet again HTC stock is punchy and vibrant on shadow areas while GC is a tad bit duller.

Close up
http://imgur.com/D7HEkbR

HTC, as usual, produce much more vibrant colors and more sharpened image while highlight areas are blown out.
It all comes down to your taste, people who like "Natural" tone will prefer GC while snap and go type better stick to HTCs'.
for me I prefer GC by the day and HTC stock by night as GC will give more room in image editing.
Basically, short squeeze for stock app, long squeez for Google Cam for me!

----
Current working Gcam with Portrait mode
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...nova8G2-V5.apk

Preferred Setting
Config for HDR+: Pixel 2017 ZSL HDR+
HDR+ Parameters: Default or higher (not much difference but longer process time)
Final jpg quality HDR+: default(95) or higher, little differences
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Infinity02 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Infinity02 Ad-Free

12th August 2017, 06:37 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For me, Google does a better job in low-light, my bathroom.
Clearer and more details, look at the spay can on the right at the back.
But I do like the greens produced by HTC Cam, Google pink/reds are better, all comes down to personal preference.

12th August 2017, 07:34 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Google's HDR+ does great job in extreme HDR situations , but for my eyes HTC's HDR boost does greater job keeping everything sharp , Google just destroyes every detail with noise reduction

Check the link for comparison

https://goo.gl/photos/NYTaPRsEMVoxjoEc8
12th August 2017, 07:38 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 817

More
I know Pixel camera better but I've read all reviews on net and youtube and found that it always got over saturation during at low light or indoor environment like the sample provided from #2 if you view it carefully, you see a yellow cast in the whole photo with Pixel.

Indeed, U11 offers a natural tone overall, not Pixel in my opinions though HTC color might be a bit vibrant. If Pixel white balance isn't going wrong, yes it always perform better result. Good to know there is a modded google HDR+ now, donno if the yellow tone problem fixed or not.

U11 still got some advantages like OIS and dual pixel focus which is important to me too. Wish we'll have modded U11 camera in the future.

EDIT:
https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...ra-hdr-ported/
It's glad that we can use Pixel HDR+ now on all SD820/821/835 devices without root. It's Google camera 4.4 apk and I've installed it on my U11(no root atm) and it works both HDR+ photo and 4K recording, no crash no FC. So if you prefer the style on Google HDR+ this is your way to go together with the benefit of OIS and dual pixel focus over Pixel phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEndHK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheEndHK Ad-Free
12th August 2017, 09:04 AM |#5  
Flag Bacolod
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Will OIS and pixel focus work on the google camera?
12th August 2017, 11:53 AM |#6  
Flag Vienna,Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 593

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallam5010

Google's HDR+ does great job in extreme HDR situations , but for my eyes HTC's HDR boost does greater job keeping everything sharp , Google just destroyes every detail with noise reduction

Check the link for comparison

https://goo.gl/photos/NYTaPRsEMVoxjoEc8

In some way i agree with u,but i am also using g cam on htc 10 ane phone must be still while taking photo,i see on ur picture some blurriness like when phone is movng wjen taking photo.
12th August 2017, 11:57 AM |#7  
Flag Vienna,Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 593

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boskoel03

In some way i agree with u,but i am also using g cam on htc 10 ane phone must be still while taking photo,i see on ur picture some blurriness like when phone is movng wjen taking photo.

Some samples,i am not professional photographer but u can see for ur self,more lighter photo is htc stock camera,other G cam
Edit: focus is left oriented...
No edit,no flash,pure hdr..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170812_125534.jpg
Views:	4490
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	4239459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2029.jpg
Views:	4416
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	4239460  
12th August 2017, 12:51 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke125

Will OIS and pixel focus work on the google camera?

OIS does work and Pixel focus I assume you mean the "lens blur" function? if so, it also works.
The only thing that is not working in GC is slow motion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinity02 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Infinity02 Ad-Free
12th August 2017, 08:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boskoel03

Hmm I was really steady , I have very steady hands and I can take 1s shutter , and I really tried it multiple times to make sure if it's really does reduce the noise and smudge the details or if it's just one bad shot , but actually all of them are the same
I really like it in extreme HDR situations though , so if HTC's upcoming camera update didn't boost the camera even more then maybe I will use gcam for really extreme HDR situations
13th August 2017, 02:47 PM |#10  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 56

More
I have tried it in broad day light and the dynamic range is really improved.

I will try it tonight but if it fixes the overexposure, it will really be the ultimate camera phone.

stock app

Pixel app

Edit : Now tried in the night, the difference is even greater. With the HTC U11 camera app, all the details are burnt near light sources, while it is not the case with the Pixel camera app.

stock app

Pixel app

For me it is clear, the Pixel app will replace the stock app for my pictures. The HTC U11 camera module with the Google Pixel software, I think we have the best possible camera on a phone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Borh77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Borh77 Ad-Free
13th August 2017, 07:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 386

More
Stock camera is much better in every scenario...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera, u11

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)