12-19 - ViperExperience Beta 14 | Android 13 | November 2022 Security Patch |GSI

Do we still need Aroma installer for HTC U12+

• Yes

Votes: 125 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 28 16.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

mikalovtch

Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2010
Moscow
XVPIcVb.png

ViperExperience 12L GSI for U12+

"Choose your flavor! - The next Generation Viper ROM"

Dear Community,

Venom ROMs takes the next big step for your HTC, as well as other Treble A/B devices out there! You want Android 11, but don't want to miss out on the hardware benefits of your HTC U12+? Or you want to enjoy all of your beloved HTC Apps on another OEM? Then we have the best of both worlds for you today (or very soon)! Decide for yourself between an Android Stock Experience, or an HTC Sense Experience by choosing between Pixel Launcher and HTC Sense 10 UI Launcher. On your HTC U12+ you can in addition continue to use your popular HTC features like HTC Edge Sense, HTC FaceUnlock and the HTC Camera!

We at Venom ROMs are using the AOSP GSI based on Android 11 to bring you the best HTC features paired with the latest Android AND Pixel experience from Android 10.

Thanks to @phhusson for his Treble experimentations repos, @JEANFRIVERA, @5m4r7ph0n36uru, @Captain_Throwback, @MassStash, @donmarkoni for all tests you did for me to make this ROM.

devs.png

mikalovtch

Installation.png

1. Must have unlocked bootloader from htcdev.com or factory S-OFF
  2. Download Viper Experience 11 GSI from Androidfilehost.com
  3. Download „vbmeta_noverity.zip“ from Androidfilehost.com
  4. Download latest TWRP from #2 post or Download latest PBRP from here: PBRP
  5. Boot your Device in Bootloader Mode
  6. Boot to TWRP or PBRP, using the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot nameoftwrpimage.img
  7. Rename „vbmeta_noverity.zip“ to „update.zip“ and place it inside your adb/fastboot folder
  8. Push „update.zip“ to your device, using the following command:
    Code:
    adb push update.zip /update.zip
  9. Make sure you are on slot A on reboot page of TWRP or PBRP if not switch to slot A and fasboot boot twrp.img again
  10. Flash „update.zip“ from recovery UI
  11. Reboot to Download from recovery UI
  12. Erase userdata and system using the following commands: (THIS WILL FORMAT INTERNAL STORAGE!)
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    and:
    Code:
    fastboot erase system
  13. Flash Viper Experience 10 GSI, using the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash system nameofimage.img
  14. Rebootyour device, using the command
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  15. Setup and enjoy an mew ROM on your HTC U12+!

XDA:DevDB Information
12-04 - ViperExperience Beta 12 | Android 12L | April 2022 Security Patch |GSI , ROM for the HTC U12+

Contributors
mikalovtch, JEANRIVERA
Source Code: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations

ROM OS Version: Android 12L
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Android 9 Pie
Based On: AOSP HTC Sense

Version Information
Beta
Beta Release Date: 2020-12-22

Created 2020-03-07
Last Updated 2020-12-22

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-10_10-09-31.jpg
    photo_2020-03-10_10-09-31.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6,150
  • photo_2020-03-10_10-09-32.jpg
    photo_2020-03-10_10-09-32.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 6,049
Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
team-VENOM-patches.jpg

Prerequisites
  • PIE_noverity_vbmeta_both_slots-TWP.zip: This zip patches the stock vbmeta for BOTH slots to ensure the device will boot after flashing the GSI. The zip in the OP only patches slot A, so you would have to ensure you are on slot A when flashing the system image. This zip allows either slot to be used. Thanks @The_Walking_Playground for posting the updated zip!
Fixes
  • UPDATE-BeyondStock™_U12+_Exodus_Vendor_Fixes-CPTB-signed.zip: This zip patches the vendor partition on U12+ and Exodus devices to fix Bluetooth streaming/headset compatibility, and enables exFAT support with the stock and BeyondStock™ kernels (NOTE: The exFAT portion of this fix is no longer needed, but has no negative side effects).
Patches
Custom Recovery
  • Official TWRP for U12+: This is the recommended TWRP version to use with the ROM, with full Android 11/12 decryption support.
Kernels

Attachments

• UPDATE_BeyondStock™_U12+_Exodus_Remove_Forced_Encryption_CPTB_signed.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 584
  • UPDATE-BeyondStock™-Kernel-Pie-v0.02-U12+_Exodus-signed.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 540
  • UPDATE-BeyondStock™-Kernel-Pie-v0.02-U12+_Exodus_TWRP_3_4_0_CPTB.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 708
  • UPDATE-BeyondStock™_U12+_Exodus_Vendor_Fixes-CPTB-signed.zip
    7 KB · Views: 839
  • UPDATE-BeyondStock™_Header_Patch_U12+_Exodus-CPTB-signed.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 259
Last edited:

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
[MANUAL] Fix CTS Profile Mismatch

Initial situation: most GSIs are rooted to a certain extent. This also applies to the AOSP GSI, which is the basis of our ViperExerience ROM.

Precondition: To correct the CTS mismatch, it is necessary that Magisk is installed.

If the precondition is fulfilled, proceed as follows:

1. Install the Magisk modules "Busybox" from Osmosis, and "MagiskHide Propst Config" from Didgeridoohan
  2. After a device restart, open a Terminal App on your HTC U12+ and go through the following steps
    • Request root privileges by typing
      Code:
      su
    • Start the Props module by typing
      Code:
      props
    • Type
      Code:
      to set a new fingerprint for the device
    • Follow the instructions in order by selecting
      Code:
      f
      and
      Code:
      (for HTC).
    • finally type
      Code:
      (for U12+ Pie).

Last edited:

mikalovtch

Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2010
Moscow
How to permanently flash TWRP via the TWRP.img file inside TWRP

1. Make sure you have a working fastboot and adb environment! Your device´s bootloader must be unlocked!

2. Download the twrp.img file from here: https://github.com/CaptainThrowback/android_device_htc_ime/releases

3. Boot to TWRP. Navigate to Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk -> Choose the twrp.img downloaded earlier. Wait for the flash to be completed successfully and do either

4. Download BeyondStock™-Kernel This zip installs the BeyondStock™ kernel which has patched touch for permanently installed TWRP, and patches the boot.img header so that decryption will work. It also supports the stock exFAT implementation.

5a. If you want to be rooted flash the magisk.zip
5b. If you don't want to be rooted navigate to Advanced -> Fix Recovery Bootloop to be able to boot into system

Thanks to @JEANRIVERA

Last edited:

JEANRIVERA

Mar 30, 2007
Nazareth, PA
HTC U12+
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Support

Hi users, I was a noob once too, believe it or not :p I had questions & stupid questions too but I was never afraid to ask, in my way to be part of this amazing team I have known all kind of Devs, with different levels of friendliness :cool: , but being honest in some way or another I have learned from all of them a little something, Now I want to give back to the community as much as I can, I am no Dev, but I do know a trick or two, if I don't know the answer to your questions, I will try my best to get an answer for you from the Team.

The instructions in the OP have been updated for better understanding and corrected some points, if anyone has tried unsuccessfully to flash this ROM please follow the updated instructions, if anyone have trouble or not booting device please feel free to ask, I will try to guide anyone as much as I can and as friendly as possible. I see there is 73 downloads on AFH of the ROM but only few users reported their experience here, maybe if you are afraid to ask, don't be, if you navigate through the thread you will see only friendly responses, and I will try my best to keep it that way, don't be afraid to tag me for support

Last edited:

blake_161

Oct 15, 2018
I am running android 8 with viper 2.0 and i tried to update to this but ADB says that my file system is read-only. What is the recommended course of action?

Code:
adb: error: failed to copy 'update.zip' to '/update.zip': couldn't create file: Read-only file system

I read elsewhere that 'adb root' would be needed but i figured it would be better to ask here instead of following some random post about a somewhat similar situation.

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
First off: don't install this ROM on Android 8 firmware. It's an Android 10 GSI and all development an testing has been done on the latest EMEA firmware.

So the way to go from ViperU12+ would be to go back to full stock unsung a RUU and upgrade to Android Pie. This is to make sure you start from the correct base and environment. Then boot the device and copy the vbmeta zip onto /sdcard. Then reboot to bootloader and boot to TWRP, and follow the instructions from post #1 to the point.

Use the latest TWRP from @Captain_Throwback, found here: https://github.com/CaptainThrowback/android_device_htc_ime/releases/tag/3.3.1-2

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using XDA Labs

Last edited:

neoncloud4399

Jun 19, 2018
Oh man, you`ve done brilliant work:highfive::good:
it is almost perfect, butter smooth and fully functional except few bugs.
some issues are:
1. time and date automatically reset to 2020.03.07 4:47 after reboot, which can be quite annoying.
2. edgesense squeeze gesture feedback is weird. it`s not like the feedback of power btn but vibrating.
3. edgesense setting does not show in the settings.

some Pro tips:
1. flash system.img via twrp or via usb under DOWNLOAD mode. you can not flash it under BOOTLOADER mode.
2. you can access edgesense settings by this method:
goto Setting.Apps, show all system Apps and find out edgesense service app. In the detail screen(where you can clear the cache and force stop, idk the exact term), tap Advanced, Additional settings in the app.
3.kirisakura kernel tested, all good.

btw i use China version u12+, hope this will help you.

Thanks you bro!

Last edited:

neoncloud4399

Jun 19, 2018
is your device S-OFF? that would be the only possible reason it boots
no, it still s-on.
i followed this procedure:
clear system, flash system, clear userdata under twrp
flash vbmeta.zip under twrp By sideload
reboot, failed to boot, show warning messages.
run fastboot oem rebootRUU to ruu flash mode and downgrade to 1.21
fastboot erase persist
boot to 1.21 China then upgrade to PIE.
boot to DOWNLOAD, erase system, userdata, flash system both system_a and system_b and it boots.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XVPIcVb.png

ViperExperience 12L GSI for U12+

"Choose your flavor! - The next Generation Viper ROM"

Dear Community,

Venom ROMs takes the next big step for your HTC, as well as other Treble A/B devices out there! You want Android 11, but don't want to miss out on the hardware benefits of your HTC U12+? Or you want to enjoy all of your beloved HTC Apps on another OEM? Then we have the best of both worlds for you today (or very soon)! Decide for yourself between an Android Stock Experience, or an HTC Sense Experience by choosing between Pixel Launcher and HTC Sense 10 UI Launcher. On your HTC U12+ you can in addition continue to use your popular HTC features like HTC Edge Sense, HTC FaceUnlock and the HTC Camera!

We at Venom ROMs are using the AOSP GSI based on Android 11 to bring you the best HTC features paired with the latest Android AND Pixel experience from Android 10.

Thanks to @phhusson for his Treble experimentations repos, @JEANFRIVERA, @5m4r7ph0n36uru, @Captain_Throwback, @MassStash, @donmarkoni for all tests you did for me to make this ROM.

devs.png

mikalovtch

Installation.png

1. Must have unlocked bootloader from htcdev.com or factory S-OFF
    2. Download Viper Experience 11 GSI from Androidfilehost.com
    3. Download „vbmeta_noverity.zip“ from Androidfilehost.com
    4. Download latest TWRP from #2 post or Download latest PBRP from here: PBRP
    5. Boot your Device in Bootloader Mode
    6. Boot to TWRP or PBRP, using the following command:
      Code:
      fastboot boot nameoftwrpimage.img
    7. Rename „vbmeta_noverity.zip“ to „update.zip“ and place it inside your adb/fastboot folder
    8. Push „update.zip“ to your device, using the following command:
      Code:
      adb push update.zip /update.zip
    9. Make sure you are on slot A on reboot page of TWRP or PBRP if not switch to slot A and fasboot boot twrp.img again
    10. Flash „update.zip“ from recovery UI
    11. Reboot to Download from recovery UI
    12. Erase userdata and system using the following commands: (THIS WILL FORMAT INTERNAL STORAGE!)
      Code:
      fastboot erase userdata
      and:
      Code:
      fastboot erase system
    13. Flash Viper Experience 10 GSI, using the command:
      Code:
      fastboot flash system nameofimage.img
    14. Rebootyour device, using the command
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    15. Setup and enjoy an mew ROM on your HTC U12+!

XDA:DevDB Information
    12-04 - ViperExperience Beta 12 | Android 12L | April 2022 Security Patch |GSI , ROM for the HTC U12+

Contributors
    mikalovtch, JEANRIVERA
    Source Code: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations

ROM OS Version: Android 12L
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Android 9 Pie
    Based On: AOSP HTC Sense

Version Information
    Beta
    Beta Release Date: 2020-12-22

Created 2020-03-07
    Last Updated 2020-12-22
    ViperExperience Beta 4 Update

1618215934657.png

ViperExperience Beta 4 (12 April 2021)

Fixes& Updates
    • 5 April 2021 Security patch.
    • Small invisible fixes and updates for future releases.
    P.S. I had some overloaded months but now I'm back to work on this ROM. Hope to make you happier in near future
    Download:
    AndroidFileHost
    ViperExperience Beta 1 Update

teamVENOM_threadheadings.png

ViperExperience Beta 1 (22 December 2020)

Finally it happened, we have got almost stable ROM with minimal bugs and we are ready to move from Alpha to Beta version. Let's hope Stable version will be soon as well and we will do all the best to bring new features to the beautiful HTC U12+.

Fixes& Updates
    • 7 December 2020 Security patch.
    • Added FaceUnlock feature.
    • Small fixes and updates.
    Download:
    AndroidFileHost
    Android 13 is running on HTC U12+.
    Need to fix some issues before release. Currently, I can confirm that camera and wi-fi works.
    [MANUAL] Fix CTS Profile Mismatch

Initial situation: most GSIs are rooted to a certain extent. This also applies to the AOSP GSI, which is the basis of our ViperExerience ROM.

Precondition: To correct the CTS mismatch, it is necessary that Magisk is installed.

If the precondition is fulfilled, proceed as follows:

1. Install the Magisk modules "Busybox" from Osmosis, and "MagiskHide Propst Config" from Didgeridoohan
    2. After a device restart, open a Terminal App on your HTC U12+ and go through the following steps
      • Request root privileges by typing
        Code:
        su
      • Start the Props module by typing
        Code:
        props
      • Type
        Code:
        to set a new fingerprint for the device
      • Follow the instructions in order by selecting
        Code:
        f