NYC

Attachments

• Terminal.GIF
    Terminal.GIF
    455.9 KB · Views: 650

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I downloaded the SDK tools and it updated my adb + fastboot, from what I can tell, and now I have a different result. I attached a screenshot.

You may need to update your usb/mtp drivers on windows. And reboot your machine afterwards. I cannot help with that as i use Linux/ubuntu. But go into device manager and see if something pops out or has an exclamation mark when the device is connected in fastboot mode.

Basically what you do for adb with “adb devices” do also for fastboot as check.

If “fastboot devices” has an output you’re good to go. Also try different usb ports.

Reactions: k_l_o

k_l_o

Jun 16, 2016
NYC
You may need to update your usb/mtp drivers on windows. And reboot your machine afterwards. I cannot help with that as i use Linux/ubuntu. But go into device manager and see if something pops out or has an exclamation mark when the device is connected in fastboot mode.

Basically what you do for adb with “adb devices” do also for fastboot as check.

If “fastboot devices” has an output you’re good to go. Also try different usb ports.

DONE!!!

I updated my USS/MTP drivers, and switched to the USB cable that came with the phone(don't think that was necessary) and it FINALLY.WORKED!

Thanks soooo much for your help.

:good::good::good:

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
DONE!!!

I updated my USS/MTP drivers, and switched to the USB cable that came with the phone(don't think that was necessary) and it FINALLY.WORKED!

Glad I could be of help and you finally got it :cowboy:

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
DONE!!!

It is always suggested to use the original cable, as others often don't work properly. Also tried with usb c to USB c cable, because I have a pci card with usb-c, but that didn't work either. Then used the original cable again and it worked fine.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
No. I wouldn’t recommend to tinker with this device without a pc nearby that has a fully working adb/fastboot environment.

I've been living the essential phone dream/nightmare. Our decrypt doesn't work either, but we disable all fingerprints, swipes, pins, etc. Then it doesn't care and let's us use data partition.. I'm glad to see this device got fastboot boot commands though, really getting the itch to buy one.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
I've been living the essential phone dream/nightmare. Our decrypt doesn't work either, but we disable all fingerprints, swipes, pins, etc. Then it doesn't care and let's us use data partition.. I'm glad to see this device got fastboot boot commands though, really getting the itch to buy one.
That’s different issue though. Also inherent to the pixel 2/xl devices currently but no really big deal.

You won’t be able to use the data partition at all when your phone is encrypted, regardless of pin/pattern etc.

But we may get it eventually :cowboy:

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
That’s different issue though. Also inherent to the pixel 2/xl devices currently but no really big deal.

You won’t be able to use the data partition at all when your phone is encrypted, regardless of pin/pattern etc.

you got the best squad behind you. itll come, i bet more sooner than later.

Reactions: Captain_Throwback

kickyoace

Mar 21, 2012

if you need any hashing power i can lend that if you need any passwords need to be cracked or if you have any hashes that you want to test to see what algo they are using if that would help

k_l_o

Jun 16, 2016
NYC
It is always suggested to use the original cable, as others often don't work properly. Also tried with usb c to USB c cable, because I have a pci card with usb-c, but that didn't work either. Then used the original cable again and it worked fine.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs

Your suggestion is, obviously, correct, but my problem stemmed from using a USB-C to USB-C cable, and USB/MTP driver was out of date, but mostly the driver. I've confirmed this by attempting to re-flashboot using the USB-C to USB-C, no joy... Swapped to another USB-A to USB-C, NOT included cable, and it also worked. Why am I typing this? Maybe it'll help someone else?

tonyyang-

Dec 14, 2017
Hi. My u12+ is HongKong ver. I've followed the instructions carefully.
Install adb and fastboot tool by 'sudo apt install apt fastboot' under ubuntu. Then reboot into bootloader 'adb reboot bootloader', boot twrp by 'fastboot boot xxx.img', but it gave this error in the picture. I've tried different usb ports and original Type-C line but nothing works. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
5b581737a55b3.png

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Hi. My u12+ is HongKong ver. I've followed the instructions carefully.
Install adb and fastboot tool by 'sudo apt install apt fastboot' under ubuntu. Then reboot into bootloader 'adb reboot bootloader', boot twrp by 'fastboot boot xxx.img', but it gave this error in the picture. I've tried different usb ports and original Type-C line but nothing works. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Update your fastboot and adb binaries in /usr/bin (you need root rights to access it) to the latest versions found here

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-releases-separate-adb-and-fastboot-binary-downloads/

Make sure they’re executable and reboot your OS.

Try different usb ports on your pc and use the original cable. :cowboy:

tonyyang-

Dec 14, 2017
Thanks. I just tried it and got another error.
fastboot boot xxxx.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
FAILED ( remote: unknown command )
finished. total time: 0.001s
Found guys who had the same issue but still no working solution.
So may u suggest another solution? Thank you.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks. I just tried it and got another error.
fastboot boot xxxx.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
FAILED ( remote: unknown command )
finished. total time: 0.001s
Found guys who had the same issue but still no working solution.
So may u suggest another solution? Thank you.

are you in bootloader or download mode?

what does
Code:
fastboot devices
return?

tonyyang-

Dec 14, 2017
Update your fastboot and adb binaries in /usr/bin (you need root rights to access it) to the latest versions found here

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-releases-separate-adb-and-fastboot-binary-downloads/

Make sure they’re executable and reboot your OS.

Try different usb ports on your pc and use the original cable. :cowboy:

You’re using the original cable and tried all usb ports and rebooting the pc too?

YES. In total 3 ports.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
YES. In total 3 ports.

Well if updating the binaries on your Ubuntu was indeed successful then I’m currently out of ideas sorry.

What does adb version return?

.40 at the end?

Try updating the binaries at the location it spits out too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***

All flashing is done at your own risk!
    While nothing from this thread should break your device,
    don't come back here blaming anyone if it does!

Hello Guys and Girls,

the title is obvious: Here is a twrp build for the HTC U12+. I spent quite a bit of time together with the dear @Captain_Throwback to get everything working.
    At this place a huge thanks to @Captain_Throwback for helping me, even though not having the device at his hands!

Instructions:

With A/B devices the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    is not possible, because these devices generally don´t have a recovery partition any longer. The recovery sits now in the ramdisk of the boot.img.

So how do we get TWRP on it?

The first option is to just boot TWRP temporarily with the command
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    . This will just boot up TWRP, not actually flash it onto your device. After rebooting the phone, TWRP will be gone. This is a great option for those, who just like to flash their phone one time, don´t want to modify the boot.img and don´t need a permanently installed TWRP.

The second option is to use the twrp flashable installer zip to install TWRP permanently to your ramdisk from the booted TWRP or magisk manager! Installing from Magisk Manager was made possible by @osm0sis!

So you see there are generally 2 steps needed on A/B devices now.
    First booting TWRP. Second flashing the installer zip.

But and now comes HTC into play. When permanently flashing TWRP zip touchscreen gets disabled, because HTC added a nasty little check into the touchscreen driver. If it detects that the phone is in recovery mode it disables the touchscreen.

Luckily we found 2 ways around that!
    First way is to have a custom kernel, that has this check patched out!

Second option is to use a zip we provide here, that also patches your kernel, to avoid tripping this check. The downside of flashing this zip is that all commands like
    HTML:
    adb reboot recovery
    , hitting reboot to recovery in magisk manager and finally reboot to recovery in TWRP are not working and only boot to the OS!

How to temporary boot TWRP:

1. You need a working fastboot and adb environment! Your device´s bootloader must be unlocked!
    2. Download the twrp.img provided in this thread and copy it to your fastboot folder (pay attention that firmware version matches)
    3. Open a command prompt in your fastboot folder!
    3.a While your phone is booted to the OS and USB debugging is enabled, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. You need to fastboot boot twrp currently
    Code:
     fastboot boot <filename of the twrp.img>
    example:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-2-ime.img
    5. Wait for twrp to be booted
    6. You´re now in TWRP
    7. Please note that you need to fastboot boot the TWRP every single time you need it. After a reboot it will be gone!
    8. Important:
    Please note that
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    (like done in step 4) will also break OTA functionality. More about this in the FAQ.

How to permanently flash TWRP via the .zip installer

1. Make sure you have a working fastboot and adb environment! Your device´s bootloader must be unlocked!

2. Download the flashable TWRP installer zip provided in this thread!
    2a. If you´re on a stock kernel that has no touchscreen fix for recovery included please also download the touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip

3. Flash the TWRP-Installer.Zip from the booted TWRP or Magisk Manager on your phone (hit the + while in modules section)
    3a. Important: Directly afterwards flash the magisk zip from TWRP or Magisk Manager
    If you don´t flash it you will only be able to reboot to TWRP, regardless of the option you choose

4.Only needed when on stock kernel without touchscreen fix:
    also flash the touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip from TWRP or Magisk Manager
    Be aware that flashing touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip will make touch work when using stock kernel but render all recovery related commands unusable.
    This includes
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    , reboot to recovery from magisk manager and reboot to recovery from inside TWRP.
    To get into TWRP you first have to reboot to bootloader and from there on to TWRP/Recovery!

5. Reboot
    6. Congratulations: you can now reboot into your permanently flashed TWRP :)

How to permanently flash TWRP via the TWRP.img file inside TWRP

1. Make sure you have a working fastboot and adb environment! Your device´s bootloader must be unlocked!

2. Download the twrp.img file from the offical twrp site
    2a. If you´re on a stock kernel that has no touchscreen fix for recovery included please also download the touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip

3. Boot to TWRP. Navigate to Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk -> Choose the twrp.img downloaded earlier. Wait for the flash to be completed successfully and do either 3a or 3b.

3a. If you want to be rooted flash the magisk.zip
    3b. If you don´t want to be rooted navigate to Advanced -> Fix Recovery Bootloop to be able to boot into system

Be aware that flashing touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip will make touch work when using stock kernel but render all recovery related commands unusable.
    This includes
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    , reboot to recovery from magisk manager and reboot to recovery from inside TWRP.
    To get into TWRP you first have to reboot to bootloader and from there on to TWRP/Recovery!

5. Reboot

Few tips and tricks:

1. You need to mount ext_sd card before you can access it in the file manager
    2. Go to mount and click on mount usb storage to access the ext sdcard when connected via USB :)
    3. Don´t forget you can connect an usb device via usb-otg to backup/flash stuff from/to an usb storage device

Official Changelog: twrp.me

22.06.2020 3.4.0-0
    • HTC Firmware on Android Pie can´t be decrypted.
    • Add support to be able to decrypt Viper GSI - Huge Thanks to @Captain_Throwback

20.05.2019 3.3.1-0
    • Decryption on devices running firmware 1.68.xxx.y with security patch state of 1st April 2019 when fastboot booting the twrp.img
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.3.1-0 will only decrypt devices on the 1st April 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.3.0-0 will only decrypt devices on the 1st February 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.2.3-5 will only decrypt devices on the 1st January 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.2.3-3 will only decrypt devices on the 1st December 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-2 image will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch if fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-3 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

17.04.2019 3.3.0-0
    • Decryption on devices running firmware 1.62.xxx.y with security patch state of 1st February 2019 when fastboot booting the twrp.img
    • Future TWRP.img files can be flashed via the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option inside TWRP´s advanced settings (for now the twrp.zip is also still available)
    • If you don´t flash magisk there is also option to "Fix Recovery Bootloop" inside TWRP´s advanced settings to be able to boot to system
    • you are able to take screenshots via power + home button
    • busybox is included instead of toybox
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.3.0-0 will only decrypt devices on the 1st February 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.2.3-5 will only decrypt devices on the 1st January 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.2.3-3 will only decrypt devices on the 1st December 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-2 image will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch if fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-3 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

01.01.2019 3.2.3-5
    • Add support for successfully decryption devices on firmware 1.57.xxx.y with security patch state of 1st December 2018
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.2.3-5 will only decrypt devices on the 1st January 2019 security patch state when fastboot booted. The official TWRP image 3.2.3-3 will only decrypt devices on the 1st December 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-2 image will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch if fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-3 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

01.01.2019 3.2.3-4
    • System is no longer being mounted R/W when booting TWRP
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.2.3-3 will only decrypt devices on the 1st December 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-2 image will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch if fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-3 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

01.01.2019 3.2.3-3
    • Add support for successfully decryption devices on firmware 1.53.xxx.y with security patch state of 1st December 2018
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.2.3-3 will only decrypt devices on the 1st December 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-2 image will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch if fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-3 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

Older versions:

05.10.2018 3.2.3-2
    • [Fix] TWRP Image 3.2.3-2 successfully decrypts devices on 1st September Security patch state! Also see the information below.
    • [Tweak] resetprop included statically, remove dependencies for it thanks @Captain_Throwback, @topjohnwu and @nkk71
    NOTE: The official TWRP image 3.2.3-2 will only decrypt devices on the 1st Sepember 2018 security patch state when fastboot booted! The TWRP 3.2.3-1 image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer (also from the 3.2.3-2 release), however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

07.09.2018 3.2.3-1
    • [Fix] MTP now enabled/working! (@Captain_Throwback)
    • [Fix] Vibration feedback now enabled/working (@notsyncing)
    • [Fix] Maximum brightness fixed - you need to manually adjust brightness in Settings using the slider to update (@Captain_Throwback)
    • [Tweak] Zip now automatically unroots the device when flashing to allow device to reboot to system normally if root isn't immediately flashed afterwards (@osm0sis)
    • [Tweak] /data/cache contents now mounted to /cache on flashed version (@Captain_Throwback)
    NOTE: The official TWRP image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer, however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

07.08.2018 3.2.3-0
    • Official TWRP release
    NOTE: The official TWRP image will only decrypt devices on the 1 June 2018 security patch if fastboot booted. If you are on the 1 March 2018 security patch, you will need to fastboot boot one of the unofficial 1.15 TWRP images. The zip installer, however, will work on any patch level, but if you're on stock kernel, you will still need to flash the hex patcher or a custom kernel to have working touch when rebooting into recovery mode.

Unofficial Changelog:
    21.07.2018 3.2.2-0
    • Initial Release

28.07.2018 3.2.2-1
    • Decryption is now working

02.08.2018 3.2.3-0
    • fix system not getting mounted by magisk installer!
    • fix no OS message upon reboot
    • flashable installer for permanently installing TWRP!

05.08.2018 3.2.3-1
    • fix system not being mountable as R/W in twrp
    • display a message asking you to reflash magisk after flashing twrp installer zip

Download:
    Official
    twrp.me

Unofficial
    XDA | AFH

Additional Downloads
    Touchscreen hexpatcher | Mirror (AFH) - SEE IMPORTANT NOTES BELOW:
    • Only needed when on stock kernel without touchscreen fix
    • Flashing touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip will make touch work when using stock kernel but render all recovery related commands unusable.
      • This includes "adb reboot recovery", reboot to recovery from Magisk Manager and reboot to recovery from inside TWRP. To get into TWRP you first have to reboot to bootloader and from there on to TWRP/Recovery!

Known Issues:
    • MTP is disabled in official TWRP. This is currently an issue on several A/B devices. - Enabled since 3.2.3-1
    • Official TWRP can´t decrypt HTC Firmware on Android Pie!
    NOTE: The unofficial TWRP image has MTP enabled for fastboot booting ONLY.
    • fastboot booting TWRP mounts the system RW and breaks ability to take an OTA.
      Please take a look at FAQ, found in the 2nd post here. It contains more information

Bug Reporting:
    If you have an issue, the first step is to post a recovery log so we can determine the cause of the issue. This is done in recovery using Advanced -> Copy Log, or adb pull /tmp/recovery.log. Once a log is uploaded we can determine how best to proceed. NOTE: Posts that are reporting bugs or issues without an accompanying recovery log will be ignored! Additionally, providing details about your device setup, including variant, firmware version, and exact steps to reproduce your issue will also be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

We need your help!
    Join the TWRP Testing group on Slack to help us test TWRP prior to official releases!

Tips on how to build TWRP for the U12+ yourself:

To build TWRP you need to use this branch as your device tree:
    https://github.com/freak07/android_device_htc_ime

Additionally you these commits from gerrit to your twrp tree!
    https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/android_bootable_recovery/+/31760/
    https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/android_bootable_recovery/+/31207/
    https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/android_bootable_recovery/+/31021/

Depending on the base you're building for, you may need to comment/uncomment the PLATFORM_SECURITY_PATCH flag for your respective build if you want to fastboot boot the twrp.img. If the patch level of the image doesn't match the patch level of the current system, decryption will not function when fastboot booting the image. If installed via zip, the patch level doesn't matter, as it is automatically updated from system using @topjohnwu & @nkk71's resetprop.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for HTC U12+ aka Imagine, Tool/Utility for the HTC U12+

Contributors
    Freak07, Captain_Throwback, nkk71, topjohnwu, Dees_Troy, bigbiff, _that
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_htc_ime

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.4.0-0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-06-22

Created 2018-07-21
    Last Updated 2020-06-25
    Attention and good News:

Thanks to @Captain_Throwback the U12+ will soon have a TWRP with working decryption :cowboy: :cool:

Code:
    About to run vdc...
    Retrying connection to vold (Reason: E:vdc E 07-26 00:19:35   626   626 vdc.cpp:79] Error connecting to cryptd: Connection refused|RC=4)
    Connected to vold: I:213 639 default|RC=213
    vdc cryptfs result (passwd): I:200 646 0|RC=0
    Stopping services...
    Stop service sys_vold: stopped.
    Stop service ven_qseecomd: stopped.
    Stop service sys_hwservicemanager: stopped.
    Stop service ven_keymaster-3-0: stopped.
    Finished.
    Start service sbinqseecomd: running.
    I:Unable to unmount '/vendor'
    [SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="Red"]Data successfully decrypted, new block device: '/dev/block/dm-0'[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    I:mount -o bind '/data/media' '/sdcard' process ended with RC=0
    I:Backup folder set to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/'
    Updating partition details...
    I:mount -o bind '/data/media/0' '/sdcard' process ended with RC=0
    Attention Ladies and Gentleman :)

with the help of the relentless @Captain_Throwback we finally resolved all the major issues on TWRP for the HTC U12+!

This release includes a flashable twrp installer zip that will flash TWRP permanently on your device. That means you don´t have to
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    every single time!
    There is one downside when using that flashable zip though. HTC implemented a nasty check in the touchscreen driver, which checks for recovery mode. When it detects recovery mode touchscreen gets disabled. This doesn´t relate to just
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    We managed to bypass this too:
    you have two options:
    Option 1: Flash a custom kernel like Kirisakura or Cleanslate which will be patched to bypass this
    Option 2: If you´re on stock kernel, flash the Imagine_touchscreen_hexpatcher-CPTB.zip made by @Captain_Throwback
    This zip will make touchscreen work in the permanently flashed recovery! But be advised that this will break all recovery related commands/actions (like
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    , reboot to recovery via apps such as magisk manager and reboot to recovery in TWRP)

But it gets better again! Way better!
    thanks to the work of @osm0sis it´s possible we flash this installer zip directly in the magisk manager app. Which means, if you´re rooted you don´t need a pc to permanently flash TWRP to your U12+! However it´s advised to have one nearby especially if it´s the first time doing this!
    This is really handy!!

Important:
    Always flash magisk zip directly after flashing the TWRP installer zip! if you don´t do this you will only be able to reboot to twrp, no matter what!

Instructions:

1. You need a working fastboot and adb environment
    2. Download the twrp.img provided in this thread and copy it to your fastboot folder (pay attention that firmware version matches)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. You need to fastboot boot twrp
    Code:
    example:
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP_3.2.2.0_Imagine.img
    6. You´re now in TWRP
    7. Please note that you need to fastboot boot the TWRP every single time you need it. After a reboot it will be gone!

How to permanently flash TWRP

1. Download the flashable TWRP installer zip provided in this thread!
    1a. If you´re on a stock kernel that has no touchscreen fix for recovery included please also download the touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip

2. Flash the TWRP-Installer.Zip from the booted TWRP or Magisk Manager on your phone (hit the + while in modules section)
    3. Important: Directly afterwards flash the magisk zip from TWRP or Magisk Manager
    If you don´t flash it you will only be able to reboot to TWRP, regardless of the option you choose

This includes
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

5. Reboot
    7. Please note that MTP will not work when you use the permanently flashed recovery!

Downloads are here:

TWRP Image 1.15: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528064312

TWRP Image 1.21: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528064315

Flashable TWRP Installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528064314

Touchscreen_hexpatch_zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528064309

at this point it´s time for the credits!

A huge thanks to @Captain_Throwback again! without him this wouldn´t be existent!
    A huge thanks to @topjohnwu for magiskboot!
    An equally huge thanks for @Dees_Troy. He created the flashable TWRP Zip template!!
    The last huge thanks goes to @osm0sis for making it possible to flash the twrp installer zip in magisk manager!

These guys truly rock!!

Also thanks to @Electronic Punk for testing! :)
    Attention Ladies and Gentleman,

here is the last update before I go on vacation. I think with the update we should have everything covered.

thanks to extensive testing done by @Electronic Punk a bug was discovered and squashed that prevented /system from being able to be mounted as R/W.
    At this place thanks to @Captain_Throwback again :)

The permanent twrp installer zip now displays a message after flashing, asking you to reflash magisk again.

There were more behind the scenes updates :)

Instructions:

1. You need a working fastboot and adb environment
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. You need to fastboot boot twrp
    Code:
    example:
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP_3.2.2.0_Imagine.img
    6. You´re now in TWRP

How to permanently flash TWRP

1. Download the flashable TWRP installer zip provided in this thread!
    1a. If you´re on a stock kernel that has no touchscreen fix for recovery included please also download the touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip

2. Flash the TWRP-Installer.Zip from the booted TWRP or Magisk Manager on your phone (hit the + while in modules section)
    3. Important: Directly afterwards flash the magisk zip from TWRP or Magisk Manager

This includes
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

5. Reboot
    7. Please note that MTP will not work when you use the permanently flashed recovery!

Downloads are here:

TWRP Image 1.15: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528066472

TWRP Image 1.21: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528066474

Flashable TWRP Installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528066497

Touchscreen_hexpatch_zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528064309

Announcement:

In case you missed it because it´s on the previous page, I´m on vacation until the 28th of August :)

take a look here:
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77250621&postcount=100
    Attention Ladies and Gentleman,

here is the long awaited TWRP release with working decryption of your data partition. This is @Captain_Throwback ’s work I just compiled the builds with his fixes for decryption as mentioned in one of the last posts.
    That means access to /storage and flashing magsik to obatin root is now possible.

Before flashing magisk, mount system in the mount options.

The only thing you currently have to keep in mind is, this twrp is not yet flashable. Which means you need a pc to boot it! We´re working on the zip to permanently flash TWRP. So tinker wisely with your phone.

Important!!!
    For decryption to work there is a seperate build needed for both 1.15 firmware and 1.21. That is due to the security patch state being different. If you use the wrong one you can´t access data when booted to OS again.

Downloads:

Choose the TWRP that matches your current firmware and OS!

1.15:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528059739

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528059740

Disclaimer
    When rebooting from recovery, you´ll see a message "NO OS installed", swype it away and reboot it´s fine. It´s cosmetic and will be taken care of in one of the next releases probably.

please, when flashing magisk, mount system in mount option beforehand. This issue will be dealt with later :cowboy:

If you have any issues please state your current firmware, the version of twrp you flashed, as many details as possible and provide a recovery.log.