FORUMS

[GUIDE]*How to install a Generic System Image (GSI) on your HTC U12+

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By Romano2K, Member on 13th December 2019, 01:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi!

I've had trouble installing a GSI on my HTC U12+, but AOSP GSI maintainer phhusson helped me, so I'm sharing a quick tutorial.

1. Download and extract Android SDK Platform Tools
2. Download the GSI of your choice (ARM64, AB variant), and move it inside platform tools folder (I've only tested AOSP 10.0)

3. Download and extract the HTC RUU Decryption and Extraction Tool
4. Download the RUU for your device and move it inside HTC-RUU_Decrypt_Tool_XXX folder
5. Follow instructions from the RUU Decryption Tool thread to decrypt and extract the RUU, with all default settings
6. Move the vbmeta.img file you've just extracted (it's inside HTC-RUU_Decrypt_Tool_XXX/OUT_XXX/firmware) to the platform tools folder

6. Unlock bootloader
7. Restore stock firmware with microSD method or factory reset if you already have stock firmware
8. Reboot in bootloader
9. From a computer, launch a terminal, change directory to the platform tools folder, then execute "fastboot erase system"
10. Then execute "fastboot flash system <your_gsi.img>"
11. Execute "fastboot reboot bootloader"
12. Execute "fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification" (WARNING : According to 5m4r7ph0n36uru, you can't flash vbmeta via fastboot if your device isn't S-OFF, you have to use TWRP, but I don't know how, so ask someone who knows! I will update my tutorial once I see instructions.)
13. Execute "fastboot reboot"

It should boot the GSI!

On first boot it may ask for a previous decryption password and complain about a corrupt data partition. You can erase it (you will lose what was inside).

If you have bugs or issues with the GSI, there may be workarounds here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_e...i/HTC-U12-Plus

Enjoy your GSI on your HTC U12+!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Romano2K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Romano2K Ad-Free
19th December 2019, 06:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano2K

Hi!

I've had trouble installing a GSI on my HTC U12+, but AOSP GSI maintainer phhusson helped me, so I'm sharing a quick tutorial.

1. Download and extract Android SDK Platform Tools
2. Download the GSI of your choice (ARM64, AB variant), and move it inside platform tools folder (I've only tested AOSP 10.0)

3. Download and extract the HTC RUU Decryption and Extraction Tool
4. Download the RUU for your device and move it inside HTC-RUU_Decrypt_Tool_XXX folder
5. Follow instructions from the RUU Decryption Tool thread to decrypt and extract the RUU, with all default settings
6. Move the vbmeta.img file you've just extracted (it's inside HTC-RUU_Decrypt_Tool_XXX/OUT_XXX/firmware) to the platform tools folder

6. Unlock bootloader
7. Restore stock firmware with microSD method or factory reset if you already have stock firmware
8. Reboot in bootloader
9. From a computer, launch a terminal, change directory to the platform tools folder, then execute "fastboot erase system"
10. Then execute "fastboot flash system <your_gsi.img>"
11. Execute "fastboot reboot bootloader"
12. Execute "fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification"
13. Execute "fastboot reboot"

It should boot the GSI!

On first boot it may ask for a previous decryption password and complain about a corrupt data partition. You can erase it (you will lose what was inside).

If you have bugs or issues with the GSI, there may be workarounds here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_e...i/HTC-U12-Plus

Enjoy your GSI on your HTC U12+!

Hello, which GSI did you tried from the list? If you tried more then one, which is the one that runs better?

Thank you
19th December 2019, 03:27 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Paris

More
Hi!

I have tried AOSP 10.0 v206 system-quack-arm64-ab-gapps.img. v208 is out now.

I still have to try others.

Let us know if you find one working better than others!
The Following User Says Thank You to Romano2K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Romano2K Ad-Free
24th December 2019, 11:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i have problem with this line fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification
My fastboot say C:\adb\fastboot.exe: unknown option -- disable-verity How to fix this?

Edit: My htc is dead, power button dont work, does not respond to the charger and PC.
26th December 2019, 12:29 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Paris

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mientus25

i have problem with this line fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification
My fastboot say C:\adb\fastboot.exe: unknown option -- disable-verity How to fix this?

Edit: My htc is dead, power button dont work, does not respond to the charger and PC.

Hi mientus25! I'm sorry if you bricked your smartphone trying to flash it. I think the --disable-verity option not working was a matter of platform tools (adb) version.
26th December 2019, 11:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My htc have actually hard brick. I will try to send it to the service(warranty). Will tell you what comes of it.
14th January 2020, 12:33 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification doesn't working
it says: not allowed in production device
bootloader:unlocked
14th January 2020, 03:51 PM |#8  
Flag MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Thanks Meter: 3,478

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xreeman

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification doesn't working
it says: not allowed in production device
bootloader:unlocked

If on 2.55.401.1 try flashing this vbmeta. It already has verity and verification disabled, pulled from an S-OFF device allowing the above flashing commands. It flashed fine on my U12+ and I've been able to boot PE 10 GSI afterwards without any problems.

@Romano2K feel free to add it to the OP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vbmeta_2.55.401.1_noverity.zip - [Click for QR Code] (244 Bytes, 60 views)
15th January 2020, 10:43 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5m4r7ph0n36uru

If on 2.55.401.1 try flashing this vbmeta. It already has verity and verification disabled, pulled from an S-OFF device allowing the above flashing commands. It flashed fine on my U12+ and I've been able to boot PE 10 GSI afterwards without any problems.

@Romano2K feel free to add it to the OP.

Hello, can I may ask you if I can send you a PM? I have an HTC u12+ and I would like to install and Android 10 GSI and I would like a step by step help to do it. Can you please also tell me which bugs are you facing with it? Thank you very much
15th January 2020, 11:59 AM |#10  
Flag MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Thanks Meter: 3,478

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaetanoS.89

Hello, can I may ask you if I can send you a PM? I have an HTC u12+ and I would like to install and Android 10 GSI and I would like a step by step help to do it. Can you please also tell me which bugs are you facing with it? Thank you very much

No help by PM. I cannot do this for professional reasons. And also for personal reasons not to give individual support.
15th January 2020, 05:22 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5m4r7ph0n36uru

No help by PM. I cannot do this for professional reasons. And also for personal reasons not to give individual support.

All right, would you please write a message over with all the steps here? Thank you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)