FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Apps and syncing

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By wayneward, Member on 8th March 2015, 12:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've copied out my.local share folder and can see the program databases IE I want to rsync the database files for the program memories to use as a journal
Ive run Ubuntu touch apps on Ubuntu desktop question is can I apt get memories and run it on my desktop or would I have to install it on emulator and sync and run my apps from that ?

Sent from my awesome Ubuntu Touch device using the Forum Browser app

8th March 2015, 01:03 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,615

More
You can copy the databases to the same path on your desktop as they were on the phone. The apps should be able to find them then. However, that won't automatically sync them again if they change later.

8th March 2015, 03:12 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Talking yes its working
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwen

You can copy the databases to the same path on your desktop as they were on the phone. The apps should be able to find them then. However, that won't automatically sync them again if they change later.

ive done it i got the memories app running on my laptop and copied in the database
it puts it in the same place so i made a entry and copied it back and it works fine
although on the mobile pictures dont insert but on the laptop they do but dont show when i put back to the phone
im more interested in using it as a syncing journal like i do daily with lifeograph, again i just use text in this..

so im going to set ssh keys for now and just use scp to push and pull the files till i find a better way for automatic sync maybe rsync or something i see that its available on the phone

im probably setup a rsync server on my main server computer and sync my laptop up and phone (and tablet later) by making a simple bash script that specifies directories
as so far the whole .lcal share directory is 500 meg so better selecting what i want to sync
im thinkinking
memories
tasks
edit (this holds its notes in the local share)
music - i can specify a music directory to sync maybe
other items maybe handy would be calendar but not sure if notifications show up on the laptop yet ill have to run the app and test adding a date with reminder

but happy enough to get my journal sycning to start with
10th March 2015, 08:24 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Cool three apps syncing
ive got three apps syncing nicely
i have memories, notes and tasks syncing and probably can sync anything i like now i have the apps running on all devices
it seems a shame they dropped ubuntu one
is there any other better ways anybody could think of as apposed to manual ssh sync scripts
i have one to send and one to receive
im thinking rsync ...
something like drop box or google drive sync mechanism would be good also that would detect file changes and update the latest version automatically?

any thoughts is grateful
im know its early days and can imagine these being added in a way of a app??...
10th March 2015, 10:01 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,615

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneward

im know its early days and can imagine these being added in a way of a app??...

Sadly, that won't work, at least if you want to be able to install the app from the store.
Apps are run confined on Ubuntu for phones, which means that they can only read and write to their own subdirectories in ~/.local/share. They cannot access anything else.
If you want it to run unconfined, it probably won't be included in the store.

Therefore, the best place to implement that is probably in the OS itself.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)