FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 GPU

Ubuntu Touch Nexus 7 (2013) DHCP issue with N900 QT Mobile Hotspot

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By biketool, Junior Member on 18th September 2015, 07:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi tablet flashed with Ubuntu touch, there is much unfamiliar to me as a regular Linux user with this distro.

I have been trying to get the tablet to connect to the Nokai N900(Maemo5 Linux) app QT Mobile Hotspot via wifi, it associates but doesn’t grab from an IP from the DHCP as my Ubuntu laptop does. If I run dhclient in the tablet's terminal it just hangs. Any ideas?
The N900 running QT Mobile Hotspot uses ad-hoc mode to make the connection.
Working in shell with the tablet is a bit of a pain as the replacement touch screen makes typing difficult and SSH apparently doesn't work without tweaking.

20th September 2015, 03:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I see the same with UT on a MX4 and the n900.

Android out of the box disables connecting to ad-hoc networks. I wonder if UT does the same via a driver inheritance?

What issues do you have with ssh?

"Sent from Ubuntu Touch MX using the Forum Browser app"
20th September 2015, 08:15 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by handaxe

I see the same with UT on a MX4 and the n900.

Android out of the box disables connecting to ad-hoc networks. I wonder if UT does the same via a driver inheritance?

What issues do you have with ssh?"

Hey handaxe, same from TMO?
From my research Android can go ad-hoc when rooted, in fact my nexus associates in ad-hoc mode with the N900, just that grabbing an IP address fails. Not sure if the tablet uses dhclient, but that fails when I try it in shell.

I got ssh working askubuntu.com/questions/348714/how-can-i-access-my-ubuntu-phone-over-ssh but it is using public key verification, I go through wipes so often and have such low security needs a password is enough and I hate having to worry about key management, I assume a machine will be compromised and just use crypto on private data. Getting the tablet moved to password verification is probably what I need to bootstrap myself into the next step. There is no good gedit like app and I cant very well VI without having Esc, and Ctrl keys.

As an aside if you know how to get a VNC server running, I had been hoping to use the tablet as a big screen for N900/Maemo apps, especially GPS until the Ubuntu Touch selection expands.
21st September 2015, 01:17 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketool

Hey handaxe, same from TMO?
As an aside if you know how to get a VNC server running, I had been hoping to use the tablet as a big screen for N900/Maemo apps, especially GPS until the Ubuntu Touch selection expands.

The same handaxe....

http://www.unixarea.de/bq/bq-aquaris-e45-ubuntu.txt

Item no 7.

Useful info in that page overall. Installing VNC requires setting the filesystem to rw, thus allowing use of apt-get and .deb installation as opposed to clicks. This disables OTA updates.

I test-ran dhclient as root via ssh whilst connected to a WPA AP, and it did not hang, so I assume that ad-hoc is not supported.
25th September 2015, 10:14 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
But to get back to the most important topic,
has anyone successfully used tethering from an Ubuntu Touch wifi tablet to any phone with an ad-hoc network link?
11th October 2015, 12:36 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Just an update, my research shows that it is possible for a rooted android Nexus 7(flo) to connect via ad-hoc just as the Ubuntu Touch flashed Nexus 7 also already can,
I do get a wifi associate on my Ubuntu N7 and can see the MAC address of the Nokia phone on the other side of the connection.
this problem is only an ubuntu touch DCHP hang issue, the connection to the N900 works automaticly and perfectly when I use my Ubuntu laptop.
I do not see a way to post a bug for core OS issues only official Ubuntu Touch apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biketool Ad-Free
12th October 2015, 10:16 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketool

I do not see a way to post a bug for core OS issues only official Ubuntu Touch apps.

Bugs go here.

Actually, they go under the app concerned, it this case I imagine network-manager, but bug admin seems to take care of that.

I searched around on ad-hoc and WEP but found nada.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)