Help XDA community. Pthink Tempered glass screen protector

Search This thread

rtneon79

May 2, 2013
So I did the search for screen protectors. Pthink has hands down been the best screen protector for the v20. I had a 2 pack and just dropped the phone and cracked the scecond on. I went to amazon to order my replacements. Found out the item is no longer stocked. I contacted pthink directly. They have discontinued the product. I have been searching other retailers. No luck. The screen protector thread everyone is recommeneding p think still. Please if you know another retailer that sells them let me know. If there is another brand out there as good please let me know.

rtneon79

May 2, 2013
That ebay price seems really cheap. I am so iffy on ebay anymore. I have order some parts from aliexpress in the past. I didnt even think to check there for the screen protectors. I am going to give it a shot. They look like the pthink one's did.

C D

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a comparable replacement for these PThink screen protectors.
As far as I can tell from Amazon reviews, all other "full coverage" tempered glass screen protectors for the V20 only seem to have the adhesive along the border, so you'll likely get the halo/rainbow effect in the center of the screen. All the ones you see on eBay are probably the same, so I wouldn't trust a listing unless it actually mentions PThink in the description or shows a picture of the original white and green package of the PThink. Note that all of those protectors have a black border while the PThink is transparent throughout.
If you have to get another screen protector soon, then you might have to settle for one that doesn't cover the whole front (they usually stop right above the LG logo).
The AliExpress one looks promising; that might be the only similar one out there.

Last edited:

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a comparable replacement for these PThink screen protectors.
As far as I can tell from Amazon reviews, all other "full coverage" tempered glass screen protectors for the V20 only seem to have the adhesive along the border, so you'll likely get the halo/rainbow effect in the center of the screen. All the ones you see on eBay are probably the same, so I wouldn't trust a listing unless it actually mentions PThink in the description or shows a picture of the original white and green package of the PThink. Note that all of those protectors have a black border while the PThink is transparent throughout.
If you have to get another screen protector soon, then you might have to settle for one that doesn't cover the whole front (they usually stop right above the LG logo).
The AliExpress one looks promising; that might be the only similar one out there.

The pthink protector actually does have a black border, but is definitely full adhesion as we all know. I only had issues during installation, have to make sure to really work out all the air bubbles near the black border. I have ZERO dust where the LG logo is.

I've had mine on since December 2017, no ill touch issues or rainbow effects ever.

I'll probably go in for 3 of the AliExpress protectors. They are sold in single quantities (not a 2 pack as the Pthinks were sold).

C D

The pthink protector actually does have a black border, but is definitely full adhesion as we all know. I only had issues during installation, have to make sure to really work out all the air bubbles near the black border. I have ZERO dust where the LG logo is.

I've had mine on since December 2017, no ill touch issues or rainbow effects ever.

I'll probably go in for 3 of the AliExpress protectors. They are sold in single quantities (not a 2 pack as the Pthinks were sold).
Ah yes, I forgot that there is a smaller black bar at the top and around the LG logo (2 of my V20s have PThinks on them) while the front camera area is mainly clear, unlike all the other protectors. I only had permanent bubbles at the very tip of some of the corners and a larger bubble around the front camera, probably because I squeezed the protector into an Otterbox Defender case (with its crappy plastic screen protector removed).
Looks like the AliExpress protector is currently on sale, and you get $3 off as a first-time buyer, so that'd be a decent price.

rtneon79

May 2, 2013
I just placed the order for the aliexpress one. I'll post a review when it comes. Down side is shipping could be up to 25 days. If they are as good as the pthink version it is worth the wait

Reactions: pistacios

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
Just ordered 3 of them also.
Total was 23.42 using PayPal and the coupon. Not sure how that total amounted.
7.19 x3
+1.05 shipping
-3.00 coupon
+.80 PayPal fee
Should have equaled 20.42

Oh well.

Edit: PayPal amount was 20.42, which is correct.

Last edited:

Dread1111

Apr 1, 2018
AliExpress refund

I ordered the AliExpress screen protector and recieved a refund form Paypal today. So apparently the protectors sold out.

I ordered 3 from Amazon (PC-Mall brand). I will try to report back, but the protectors on my phones are still good, so it may be a while.

Last edited:

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
Just received the shipped notification. So now I wait for the slow boat...

I find it strange they are sold out. 2 days ago it showed 986 were available.

rtneon79

May 2, 2013
I had my payment returned also on aliexpress still says they are in stock. Not sure what the deal is.

C D

I ordered the AliExpress screen protector and recieved a refund form Paypal today. So apparently the protectors sold out.

Just received the shipped notification. So now I wait for the slow boat...

I find it strange they are sold out. 2 days ago it showed 986 were available.

I had my payment returned also on aliexpress still says they are in stock. Not sure what the deal is.
Yeah, that is pretty strange. You can see all the recent orders in the transaction history around the bottom half of the page, and people are still ordering it as of today.

the entity

Oct 3, 2009
I'm in the same situation as OP. Seems that all of the full coverage v20 screen protectors on Amazon only have adhesive along the edges of the screen. There are a couple that have it across the screen, but it's only partial coverage. I was thinking of going with the Supershieldz and adding some LOCA adhesive to the rest of the screen as a substitute.

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
Since I'm the only one who is having any success with AliExpress, I'll post my experience once they get here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190504205416.jpg
    Screenshot_20190504205416.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 131

the entity

Oct 3, 2009
So I went with the random screen protector + LOCA adhesive combo. It gets the same clarity as a full adhesive screen protector, great touch response, and overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The cons:
I wasn't sure how much LOCA to use, so I ended up using a little too much.

I have a few small bubbles (not really noticable with the screen on unless I'm on a white background). When I replace this protector, I'll be sure to take my time.

The screen protector I used did not have the front camera cut out, so it glares a bit. (Stay away from the Mr. Shield brand). The Galaxy S8 forums have a ton of tutorials on using LOCA. There was also a video on YouTube of a guy doing it. I used the "double y" technique.

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
I received the AliExpress order on Monday the 13th (just about 2 weeks to the east coast US). I haven't had a chance to install yet. They do look just like the Pthink protectors.

I'll try to get one installed on my wife's V20 soon and post my thoughts.

rtneon79

May 2, 2013
Ok all. I had a friend order from aliexpress who already had an established account. He saud sometimes the coupons cause issues. With that aside I was able to order two of the before mention screen protectors from aliexpress. They are in fact similar if not identical to the Pthink ones.

Attachments

• media0.jpg
    media0.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: pistacios

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I'd provide a follow-up and review of my screen protectors if there's anybody who is still interested in these for the V20. On the left, I have the LK screen protector that I purchased from Amazon last year installed on my sandbox V20. On the right is the QAZ Maggie screen protector from AliExpress installed on my daily V20.

NiQWQlSl.jpg

Uq13Jxpl.jpg

The LK screen protector has a distinct silvery reflection that's somewhat reminiscent of metallic window tint. The phone's corner notch for the selfie camera and light sensor is made even more prominent with the screen protector's blackout border around them. Screen off, it's not a great look. When the screen is on, everything mostly looks fine, but blacks aren't quite as black in ambient lighting.

As for the oil slick effect from the adhesive only being on the edges of the LK screen protector—a symptom of pretty much any full coverage V20 screen protector you can still buy on Amazon these days—it's there, but it's not bad. I couldn't photograph mine, although I've seen other people capture huge rainbows in the middle of their screens. I made sure to clean the screen thoroughly before application, so the oil slick effect isn't noticeable except at extreme angles. The most disappointing thing is that the LK's glass feels less slick than the bare screen.

Chances are it doesn't matter what full coverage V20 glass screen protector you buy on Amazon. I would imagine they all have the same attributes that I just mentioned, whether it's Supershieldz or some other fly-by-night Chinese brand. They all have a blackout corner notch and the adhesive is only at the edges. Overall, these glass screen protectors are still better than the partial coverage ones that leave the bottom edge and the corner notch fully exposed like the one that came on my current daily V20 when I bought it, but I'm not that pleased with these overall.

On the other hand, the QAZ screen protector from AliExpress is everything that I was hoping for and it lives up to the billing of the original Pthink screen protectors. Unlike the LK, the QAZ is completely transparent aside from the perimeter. No silvery reflection, no blackout around the camera and light sensor, and the glass is slicker than the bare screen as a glass screen protector should be. The QAZ also has a cutout around the camera in addition to the one around the light sensor.

The QAZ also held up to me repositioning the damn thing about 10 times total and a week apart to get the perfect alignment and dust-free application. The first time I laid it down without air bubbles last weekend, it was positioned just right of center enough to where my case was pushing up on the bottom right corner. I finally took another shot at it last night and got it right after about the sixth reposition while using the included dust pickup sticker all over the sticky side of the screen protector between each reapplication. No fingerprints either since I always wear rubber gloves when applying these. Either way, I'm glad I'm done with this because I hate applying screen protectors.

The original AliExpress listing in this thread has expired, so here's an updated listing for the best glass screen protector for the V20. I guess now it's the Lenuo instead of the QAZ, not that these random letter generator brand names matter any.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001012373585.html
    I put one of the new AliExpress screen protectors on, and like everyone else said before, it looks just like the one from PThink. I put them next to each other in my first photo: AliExpress on the left, PThink on the right.

Full resolution photos and more pics of the packaging contents here:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3dokpiyka/
    Full screen adhesive. No halo
    I've never ordered from AliExpress, but these show promise as being full coverage and full adhesion:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32813226666.html
    Wow. I was just searching this also!

Mine got a chip in it and my wife's has a crack. I have one left and was searching for more with the same result.

I did see these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183759922468
    ...but I don't trust that they are genuine . 4th pic shows "pthink" in the top left corner.

No idea what other brand I would buy at this point.
    I bought these. They are not even close to what is described. They are junk.