[Kernel] [H990] D.O.T.S. v1.4 [01/04]

Search This thread

hotcell

Jul 1, 2008
Root Explorer: 00:07:18
LG File Manager: 00:04:46 (I don't believe LG's app uses Document Provider to copy files)
cp command 00:04:30 (not as fast as I expected but it implies LG File Manager doesn't use Android Storage either while other third-party developers must comply)

1. Well, maybe there are problems with Document Provider implementation or support for its v.7.0+ (I had to digg with TitaniumBackup Document Provider for Android 5.0+ as it has some problems to accept the backup directory on exFAT µSD for writing.

2. My related findings are that some apps on internal or external SDs have disabled Install button on external file managers while LG's own File Manager installs them alright.

Last edited:

hotcell

Jul 1, 2008
I too, have noticed increased battery drain with this kernel, but not in normal usage but in standby.
Before I would loose a few percentage of battery per night, now it's up to 15% per night.

I do not know if the kernel is to blame, only wanted to chime in, in case anyone else are affected.

Emil

About the same observations here. Maybe we have to switch CPU/GPU Governors from Kernel Adiutor?

Attachments

• big.jpg
    big.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 228
  • little.jpg
    little.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Reactions: zhadj030

hotcell

Jul 1, 2008
@Leicxan @jahlex
can we mimic noticeably better off-screen / battery idle time behaviour of previous kernel v1.2-u721, what settings from Kernel Adiutor should be set?
Is CPU Hotplug Apply on boot supported, which governor would be appropriate to switch off unused cores, like will zzmoove do that?

Reactions: xdav20 and reza_xdv

xdav20

Sep 27, 2017
@Leicxan @jahlex
can we mimic noticeably better off-screen / battery idle time behaviour of previous kernel v1.2-u721, what settings from Kernel Adiutor should be set?
Is CPU Hotplug Apply on boot supported, which governor would be appropriate to switch off unused cores, like will zzmoove do that?
Can I also add, after some thinking, the IO scheduler or whatever it is called has been set to "zen". This might be the source of my problem. Could we have it back to its factory setting and those who want a different settings then install a kernel profiler app to change the settings please?

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
Just wanted to chime in. I've had noticeably better battery with this Kernel probably as it's closer to stock, just with more ability to tweak. Aside from running all the usual battery saving things like a debloat, Greenify, etc. I'm also running ATK Profiles (Balanced Profile, these are the most stable undervolt profiles for the 820 that result in less power use overall) modified from the OnePlus with the SD820 on my V20 along with the Interactive/ElementalX governors and I'm only losing a few % overnight with the screen off. Some nights it's even only 1/2%. Have you looked at installing something like Wakelock Detector Free to see what's keeping your phone awake? Or restricting background wake requests using App Ops - Permission Manager from the play store?
With screen on straight, I push 6/7 hours at around 60% brightness, even only with my light underclock.

3mL

Nov 3, 2009
Vikbolandet
Just wanted to chime in. I've had noticeably better battery with this Kernel probably as it's closer to stock, just with more ability to tweak. Aside from running all the usual battery saving things like a debloat, Greenify, etc. I'm also running ATK Profiles (Balanced Profile, these are the most stable undervolt profiles for the 820 that result in less power use overall) modified from the OnePlus with the SD820 on my V20 along with the Interactive/ElementalX governors and I'm only losing a few % overnight with the screen off. Some nights it's even only 1/2%. Have you looked at installing something like Wakelock Detector Free to see what's keeping your phone awake? Or restricting background wake requests using App Ops - Permission Manager from the play store?
With screen on straight, I push 6/7 hours at around 60% brightness, even only with my light underclock.
I will look in to ATK Profiles, thank you.

I will attach a screenshot from Wakeblock.
Sorted by occurrences:
Capture+_2017-11-21-15-39-35.jpg

Sorted by run time:
Capture+_2017-11-21-15-39-51.jpg

hotcell

Jul 1, 2008
I've had noticeably better battery with this Kernel probably as it's closer to stock...
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall some of devs said 1.2u721-10g kernel was basically stock. And I had more or less the same app set then with consumption around 2-3% per night. I also using Greenify in both cases. What kernel you previously had?

zhadj030

Feb 19, 2017
I can report the same as above . Around 12%of the battery gone Through night 9 hours to be precise . 99% with the cpu is idle as the first 2 posts. And I have been running conservative cpu Governor. Also I don't seem to see greenify actually being useful . Still no updates that are compatible with exposed. Their last update bricked my phone good thing I always keep a backup before anything .

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
I too, have noticed increased battery drain with this kernel, but not in normal usage but in standby.
Before I would loose a few percentage of battery per night, now it's up to 15% per night.

I do not know if the kernel is to blame, only wanted to chime in, in case anyone else are affected.

Emil
Agreed same here, needs to be bit optimized in future
On v0.1 about 6 to 7 %
Dots v1.0 about 12-15%
Tried switching several times between different versions Flashback to older kernel resolves the problem instantly you can also measure it % per hour

Last edited:
Reactions: faeterov

zinou213

Mar 28, 2012
France
LG V20
ASUS ROG Phone II
Some Feature ideas

Have seen this thread https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/h918-h910-us996-ucl-mk2000-kernel-t3708330

Features:

KCAL - Screen panel control.
Adreno Idler - Battery savings.
Remove temperature polling - Battery savings.
Reduce DSI status check - Battery savings.
Disable software CRC checking of SD Card - More performance.
Fixed USB erratic behavior with some chargers.
Added TCP drivers & I/O schedulers.
Fix by emdroidle for eng-bootloader (US996UCL & H910).
Static screen fixed (US996UCL & H910).
LZ4 compression.
RCTD removed.

It will be great if you port some of that features, so they can also fix battery draining and SD-CARD issues, try to contact the developper at first he surely can helps you and saves you some time.

jahlex

Mar 22, 2009
France
For those who are unhappy with battery life, this all about governors / wakelocks / background apps.

If you want to go back to the governors used in the first version of Leicxan : CPU was "performance" (which IMO will cause more battery drain, but make your opinion), IO sched was "cfq". The good choice for governors depends of every user/usage. You have everything you need to make your choice here : https://xdaforums.com/general/general/ref-to-date-guide-cpu-governors-o-t3048957

About wakelocks, you can use apps like BetterBatteryStats to see what's going on. You can also disable some wakelocks and see if it changes a thing.

I will check the battery drain at night on my phone, but I did not notice anything special for now.

Also v1.1 available on the first post includes the CPU frequency hard limit mentioned by @Leicxan. You can give it a try and tell us if you find it better.

Last edited:

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
Have seen this thread https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/h918-h910-us996-ucl-mk2000-kernel-t3708330

Features:

KCAL - Screen panel control.
Adreno Idler - Battery savings.
Remove temperature polling - Battery savings.
Reduce DSI status check - Battery savings.
Disable software CRC checking of SD Card - More performance.
Fixed USB erratic behavior with some chargers.
Added TCP drivers & I/O schedulers.
Fix by emdroidle for eng-bootloader (US996UCL & H910).
Static screen fixed (US996UCL & H910).
LZ4 compression.
RCTD removed.

It will be great if you port some of that features, so they can also fix battery draining and SD-CARD issues, try to contact the developper at first he surely can helps you and saves you some time.

Already have KCAL, Adreno Idler, various battery savings, plenty of TCP & I/O Schedulers and drivers, RCTD removed, and the US996 & H910 fixes don't apply here as this is a H990-based kernel. I've also never had any bootloader/static screen problems, most of which coming from not following very specific instructions specified by the OP of their respectives. @jahlex posted above, things people can do to try to go back to when they were apparently losing less battery. SD-Card issues, as you'd have seen if you'd read throughout this thread, have been deemed to be almost card/OS specific (although, I'm currently testing 2 variants of v1.1 with different exFAT implementations to see if any issues or performance problems arise). It's almost like you didn't read the OP.
Sidenote: Running v1.1 now, will report back in a day or so :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zinou213 and jahlex

faeterov

May 2, 2016
For those who are unhappy with battery life, this all about governors / wakelocks / background apps.

If you want to go back to the governors used in the first version of Leicxan : CPU was "performance" (which IMO will cause more battery drain, but make your opinion), IO sched was "cfq". The good choice for governors depends of every user/usage. You have everything you need to make your choice here : https://xdaforums.com/general/general/ref-to-date-guide-cpu-governors-o-t3048957

About wakelocks, you can use apps like BetterBatteryStats to see what's going on. You can also disable some wakelocks and see if it changes a thing.

I will check the battery drain at night on my phone, but I did not notice anything special for now.

Also v1.1 available on the first post includes the CPU frequency hard limit mentioned by @Leicxan. You can give it a try and tell us if you find it better.
Screen rotation is buggy with the new kernel.

thirdzcee

May 13, 2012
Bacolod City
So far so good... Only issue encountered was 1st boot, after a while everything became laggy, turned out all cores where switched off except for cpu0, havent been able to reproduce since

faeterov

May 2, 2016

So far so good... Only issue encountered was 1st boot, after a while everything became laggy, turned out all cores where switched off except for cpu0, havent been able to reproduce since
How is your screen rotation working?

faeterov

May 2, 2016
Personally working fine for me. Always has, at least since 1.0 release.

Mine was also working on 1.0, but with the new one its stuck.

If I open a game that plays in landscape mode it will stay that way even if I get out of the game. Only if I press de sleep/power button, the screen goes black, and press again the button, the screen will rotateto normal setup.

I've double checked that rotation is enabled.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This kernel is the result of a common work with @Leicxan. It can only be used on H990 and was successfully on single sim AND double sim variants. D.O.T.S. kernel is :
    - Dirty Santa rooted
    - Optimized
    - Tweaked
    - Stock based

Caution

Nor @Leicxan nor I are responsible for any damage caused to your phone. Any of the action you'll make to flash a kernel theorically voids your warranty. If don't accept any risk, then keep your stock phone

Content

- Based on v10g official LGE sources
    - Compiled with UBERTC 7.x Linaro 7.2.1 (since V1.4)
    - Dirty Santa root as implemented by @emdroidle
    - CPU Governors : performance, powersave, userspace, ondemand, conservative, interactive, darkness, nightmare, zzmove, blu_active, elementalx, chill, dancedance. Default is interactive.
    - I/O Schedulers : noop, deadline, cfq, fiops, sio, bfq, zen, maple. Default is zen.
    - TCP congestion protocols : htcp, cubic, bic, reno, westwood. Default is westwood.
    - Adreno idler
    - Adrenoboost
    - Exfat Support
    - KCAL
    - RCTD removed
    - Wakelocks management
    - Various small optimizations and tweaks

History

V1.0 [11/10] : original version
    V1.1 [11/22] : CPU frequency hard limit (for battery drain improvement) and various minor fixes
    V1.2 [11/27] : CPU frequency fix, exfat from samsung's open source module, LGE adaptive readahead
    V1.3 [12/11] : Upstream Kernel to 3.18.86 thanks to @thirdzcee. Disabled LGE's rctd, ccmd and triton. Disabled some debug configuration. Note : Windows Defender can detect the archive as a Fuerboos trojan, this is a false positive.
    V1.4 [01/04] : Fix for kernel crash when using pptp vpn. Upstream Kernel to 3.18.90.

Installation instructions

Follow the instructions provided by @emdroidle here : https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/dirtysanta-h990-t3624296
    At step 16, instead of typing fastboot reboot, just unplug the usb cable, remove battery, wait 5 sec, put the battery back and reboot the phone. This should limit the risk of static screen at reboot.

Once the kernel installed, update your phone to the latest KDZ for your region using KDZ Writer : https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/tool-kdz-writer-t3649818

Known bugs

Some users reported issues with SD cards formated with exFat. This is not a general issue. The root cause is not clear (linked to the way the SD card is formated ?).

How to report a problem

It is very important to provide as many details as possible when you report a problem. It means providing :
    - the model of your phone
    - the version of the kernel and of the KDZ you updated to
    - a precise description of the problem and of the circumstances
    - logs (logcat & dmesg) : https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185929

Q&A

Before asking please :
    - read the posts in this thread. The "Search Thread" box is your friend.
    - have a look at @xdav20's H990DS Info Bank thread which is full of usefull information : https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/h990ds-info-bank-t3703736"

Thanks

@emdroidle for his implementation of Bad Santa on H990
    @USA-RedDragon for his werewolf kernel that was inspiring

Sources

https://github.com/guaibao1101/h990x-msm-3.18/tree/DOTS_v1.3

Downloads
    v1.3 released. Huge work of @Leicxan. :good:

Thanks to @thirdzcee for kernel upstream. :good:

I checked battery drain last night with default config. Lost less than 1%.

Note : Windows Defender can detect the archive as a Fuerboos trojan, this is a false positive.
    ;)
    Sorry for be quite for a long time, life is busy all the time( or I am to lazy:p), and I know the Oreo for the v20 is around the corner, but not sure when it will comes to our h990n/ds variant.
    Here is DOTS_v1.5, download form here , jahlex will update the OP soon.
    Changelog:
    Code:
    -rebuild kernel base on the LG h990n-v10q source drop 
    -Upstream to latest Linux 3.18.102
    -Remove some unneeded modules 
    -Tweaked kernel complete flag
    -Now the kernel flash script will auto remove previous modules during install.
    Here is DOTS_v1.4, I sent this to jahlex a few days ago, wait for him to update the OP
    Click here to download.
    Change logs:
    - build with linaro gcc 7.2.1 release on 2017011
    - kernel upstream to 3.18.90
    - fix kernel panic when using pptp vpn

If you want use f2fs, you can try this test version made by levizx here
    I sent the kernel source update request to LGE, after a few days waiting, they finally pushed the v10q kernel source for h990n.
    I think this kernel source drop should work on h990ds too.
    May start to rebase the kernel from the new kernel source drop.