[H918 / T-mo] [1.3b3] EasyRecowvery - TWRP and Root Installer

Search This thread

Stallio

Oct 14, 2016
Instructions link doesn't work

Frequently Asked Questions

Why isn't it working?
First: update your ADB. If you don't have ADB, then you'll want to fix that before you spend another second at XDA. I personally only use official releases from Google, so I might not be much help if you're using something you found at random at XDA or elsewhere on the Internet. You can download Google's latest release of their tools from the very bottom of this page. (I recommend installing or extract them to C:\Android for easy access.) Using the "SDK Manager" included in that download, choose to install "Android Platform-tools" and "Google USB drivers", and remember to run it again once in a blue moon for updates.

If ADB isn't the problem, I'm happy to offer what assistance I can. Please describe what you were trying to do and how, then attach any .log files the script created.

Where is TWRP?
The link to the latest version is linked in this thread under Step 3.
Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and put it on your internal storage.

Does Data need to be wiped?
For everything to work properly, YES. If you don't have an inherent understanding of what will happen if you don't run a Format Data, then please do so the first time you enter TWRP. This will erase Internal Storage and remove the default encryption so that TWRP can function to the fullest. BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST!

Is no-verity-opt-encrypt necessary?
YES, but not totally. This ZIP makes it possible to allow system modifications, and prevents a couple easy ways to end up with corrupt data or bootloops.
Download that from Step 3 in the thread above, and put it in the folder named zips next to EasyRecowvery.
If you're going to install SuperSU right away, you shouldn't really need it.

What is selinux?
selinux is a major security feature, and also a major pain in the butt depending on who you ask.
If you don't know if you need it in "permissive" mode, just leave it be. You can always reflash later.

Why isn't TWRP showing Internal Storage?
These phones use encryption out of the box. In order for TWRP to function properly, you will need to use the Wipe Data feature after installation.
This will blow away everything on your Internal Storage, so make sure you don't have anything important in there!

Instruction link is broken cant see the tutorial to do it.

Stallio

Oct 14, 2016
Instructions link doesn't work

Did you see the post just prior to yours? It only worked on the initial release. If you have a H918 on 10b firmware then it works. Otherwise you have to search for the firmware version you have. Which version do you have?

I am on 10u bought this phone cheap from eBay for its sound quality.... But it isnt what I was thinking as compared to my Lenovo Vibe X3 (this phone sounds more powerful than
V20) the DAC won't fire up the way I want so need to Root so I can do some changes to put it into high impedence always. If not able to fix this phone it will be a bet on my 2month salary, that's what it costed me.

Please find the screen attached I was talking about the link where instructions were, even it it's not gonna help he someone will need that link.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-09-12-24-33-283.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-09-12-24-33-283.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 230

androiddiego

May 16, 2015
West Palm
I am on 10u bought this phone cheap from eBay for its sound quality.... But it isnt what I was thinking as compared to my Lenovo Vibe X3 (this phone sounds more powerful than
V20) the DAC won't fire up the way I want so need to Root so I can do some changes to put it into high impedence always. If not able to fix this phone it will be a bet on my 2month salary, that's what it costed me.

Please find the screen attached I was talking about the link where instructions were, even it it's not gonna help he someone will need that link.

The only way to root for you is to downgrade to 10p and use this thread:
https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/root-lafsploit-h918-version-t3773443

Jaysu1

Mar 17, 2019
Dirty Cow lg V20 H91810p

Help anybody I'm trying to root my lg v20 H91810P but it won't pass this command adb logcat -s recowvery
Helps please thanks

Jaysu1

Mar 17, 2019
did and I'm getting an error when I type command git pull
fatal: unable to access 'https://Golan.com/running nak3d/lilac.git / ': could not resolve host:
Can't pass that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't always follow a new device during the troubled early days of root...
    ...but when I do, I'm utterly scarred by the chaos and confusion.​

Since I've watched the current V20 root exploit evolve from "maybe DirtyCow would work here" into a full-blown war on Nougat's sepolicy, and finally into the emergent "Recowvery"; I thought it might be fun to get my own hands a little dirty and write some wrappers to automate the rooting process with ample error-checking along the way.

>> Please take a moment to check out @jcadduono's Recowvery thread at http://xdaforums.com/v20/development/h918-recowvery-unlock-v20-root-shell-t3490594 for more information, to say "thanks," and to donate if you can afford it. <<

WARNING: ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS PACKAGE IS RELEASED AS-IS AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, IMPLIED OR EXPRESSED
    THIS PACKAGE MAY MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER (or harder) BUT NOTHING CAN FULLY PROTECT YOU FROM TROUBLE WHEN ROOTING A DEVICE!
    IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU END UP WITH A BRICK IN YOUR POCKET AFTER ATTEMPTING ROOT

easyrecowvery_screenshot_1.png

Current, Planned, and Not Guaranteed Features:
    - Windows support, including a truly die-hard adb check
    - Push, exploit, and flash all in one step
    - Optional automated SuperSU installation
    - Bundled adb for more predictable results
    - More error checking than you think you'd need
    - Auto-disable dm-verity and forced encryption
    - Optional selinux permissive mode
    - Restore boot and recovery to stock
    - Spawn a root shell for exploration and such
    - Grab any recovery.img you'd like to use from /sdcard
    - Linux support (needs to be reworked :rolleyes:)
    - Ability to download latest exploit and recovery at runtime
    - Extra helper commands for stuff like trying to break out of bootloops or quickly grab logs
    - Basic GUI for Windows

Download:
    Latest version: 1.3b3
    Grab the latest zip: https://github.com/bziemek/EasyRecowvery/releases
    Or browse the source: https://github.com/bziemek/EasyRecowvery
    --
    TWRP for the H918: in jcadduono's thread, Step 3
    no-verity-opt-encrypt: also in jcadduono's thread, Step 3
    SuperSU: in Chainfire's beta thread

Instructions:
    https://github.com/bziemek/EasyRecowvery/blob/master/README.md

Greetz:
    Huge shout out to @jcadduono for running with the DirtyCow idea and making this root possible (read more and THANK HIM HERE), Chainfire for taking some time off to do a test install of the latest SuperSU hours before we had a working TWRP, @Darriousx and @slayerh4x for all their hard work testing, and #twrp on Freenode for generally putting up with the lot of us!

Donations:
    IF you feel so inclined, PayPal some coffee and beer money to bezeek@gmail.com, or BTC to 1bu5MMgagtbN7QVeciyWfAzRbfk8vmynM :D
    Many thanks to @Pjs187, who furnished the first donation I've received here at XDA!
    Frequently Asked Questions

Why isn't it working?
    First: update your ADB. If you don't have ADB, then you'll want to fix that before you spend another second at XDA. I personally only use official releases from Google, so I might not be much help if you're using something you found at random at XDA or elsewhere on the Internet. You can download Google's latest release of their tools from the very bottom of this page. (I recommend installing or extract them to C:\Android for easy access.) Using the "SDK Manager" included in that download, choose to install "Android Platform-tools" and "Google USB drivers", and remember to run it again once in a blue moon for updates.

If ADB isn't the problem, I'm happy to offer what assistance I can. Please describe what you were trying to do and how, then attach any .log files the script created.

Where is TWRP?
    The link to the latest version is linked in this thread under Step 3.
    Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and put it on your internal storage.

Does Data need to be wiped?
    For everything to work properly, YES. If you don't have an inherent understanding of what will happen if you don't run a Format Data, then please do so the first time you enter TWRP. This will erase Internal Storage and remove the default encryption so that TWRP can function to the fullest. BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST!

Is no-verity-opt-encrypt necessary?
    YES, but not totally. This ZIP makes it possible to allow system modifications, and prevents a couple easy ways to end up with corrupt data or bootloops.
    Download that from Step 3 in the thread above, and put it in the folder named zips next to EasyRecowvery.
    If you're going to install SuperSU right away, you shouldn't really need it.

What is selinux?
    selinux is a major security feature, and also a major pain in the butt depending on who you ask.
    If you don't know if you need it in "permissive" mode, just leave it be. You can always reflash later.

Why isn't TWRP showing Internal Storage?
    These phones use encryption out of the box. In order for TWRP to function properly, you will need to use the Wipe Data feature after installation.
    This will blow away everything on your Internal Storage, so make sure you don't have anything important in there!
    Changelog

1.3b3
    Add more sanity checks
    Add note about formatting data
    Separate log for ZIP flashing
    Rename bundled adb.exe to adb-recowvery.exe (maybe)

Older Versions

1.3b
    Bundle adb.exe (can be toggled in Extras menu)
    Improve and fix adb and device checks

1.2b
    Add experimental support for auto-rooting.
    Add an extra mode to flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.
    Add an extra mode just to reboot into recovery.

1.1b-hotfix
    Add the "zips" folder needed by the new version. :rolleyes:

1.1b
    Skip several versions and change versioning style.
    Redesign the menu system.
    Auto-flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.
    Update Recowvery to latest version.
    Tweak prompts, formatting, and fix typos.
    More aggressive connection handling.
    Fix the restore feature.
    Allow disabling integrity verification (untested).
    Increase logging verbosity.
    Fix line endings in EasyRecowvery.cmd

beta5
    Take a nap.
    Fix some issues with various prompts.
    Adjust some formatting.
    More testing.

beta4
    Improve adb checking code.
    Reluctantly accept that we should try recovery.img.img.
    Misc. tweaks to prompts.

beta3
    Fix several parentheses that might be causing trouble.

beta2
    Fix a bug causing EasyRecowvery to fail when run from another directory.

beta1
    Initial release.
    I finally called it and coughed up a beta release. (Let the slew of issues commence! :p)
    @bezeek you might want to add the "I am not responsib...." disclaimer. One for your protection but mostly so people are aware of the possible consequences.

There will be some big ol' red letters in here before I attach any files - you can bet on that ;)