$$ BOUNTY $$ thread for ROOT on LG v20 H990DS (CLAIMED by @emdroidle!)

Search This thread

farwish

Mar 6, 2011
Martin
Beware! This is currently at beta status and only three people have successfully tried this so far.

While I have tried to ensure this works for anyone, this may fail. The result of a failure could include voiding of warranty and hardware damage.

As preparation, I would like folks to be familiar with LGUP/LGBridge and how to use them. Using LGUP is also how to get back to stock. On the H990DS Bluetooth is implemented via kernel module and the kernel module has to be loaded off /system, therefore there is no choice but to write to /system.

Step 2 of DirtySanta retrieves the files "abootbackup.img", "bootbackup.img" and "recoverybackup.img". Save these files! I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect "abootbackup.img" may need to be restored before doing full LGUP.

For the most part the steps are identical to the classic DirtySanta, but a few of the files are different.

Once you get to step 3, the procedure is different.
First, the TWRP image is different, use this one instead, which targets the H990. Instead of running step3.sh/step3.bat; instead run the command `fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-h990.img`,
then repeat this command (apparently the debug bootloader is unreliable with this command). After this run the command `fastboot reboot`, then follow the directions for getting into TWRP.
Instead of running step3.sh/step3.bat, unpack the attached step3_h990.zip and run step3_h900.sh if on OSX/Linux/FreeBSD/Unix or click on step3_h990.bat if on Windows.

After step 3, do not do the `fastboot flash boot bootbackup.img` step. Instead flash the attached zip (a specially modified kernel targeting the H990DS) during the same step as flashing SuperSU.

Likewise "boot1.img" and "boot2.img" should also be ignored. Those are for DirtySanta with the US V20 models, and not the H990DS.

After step 3, boot in to TWRP. Press and hold volume DOWN; press and hold power until the LG logo comes up, then briefly release power (0.5-1.0sec) and then hold power again. You will then be prompted "Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings?", select "Yes" twice and as long as TWRP installation was successful you'll get into TWRP and no reset will be done.
Inside TWRP flash the attached h990ds-kernel.zip and then flash SuperSU.zip. At this point the process should be complete. There won't be static on boot, you'll have root and nothing else should have changed.

Warning: This is at beta testing state and could well brick your device. No warranty is provided, use at your own risk (though I certainly hope nothing will go wrong).

These directions are likely very poor quality, if you're not well experienced with shell prompts and all the tricks that can be done, please wait. This kernel is also exclusively for the H990DS, if you've got any other model, stay away. The H990N (single-SIM) will not work, though you could have an interesting experiment.

Folks who haven't done a lot of experimentation, please hold off until experienced people have confirmed this works. There is a lot that could go wrong.

I believe I have fulfilled the condition for the bounty.

Thanks to:
@me2151 the original DirtySanta bootloader, crucial for this to work
@thubble for figuring out the last bit of the modem and (successful) guinea pig #2
@USA-RedDragon for making everyone aware of LineageOS's source tree
@exadeci (successful) guinea pig #1

MD5: 5182bc528db03c2848c591f809a65564
SHA160: 14bd8f2714fd652b259b6a60407d071dbf672809
SHA512: dc049ab1e83a51a40e59d7871e1b122559836c1df13b2f7104f13d2cf82d3eb7ca767def108d267d56ae90e7ee58c5f3fc95d60af638a492cb113a982bf64315

OMG!Thanks so much! IT will be the best news this year,,,and will it work on H990N(dual-sim card)?

Last edited:

trongnghia2411

Apr 16, 2012
Guys, what apps/tweaks are good after root for nougat? I used to root phones too but in 6.x and below, I can install Greenify with Xposed. I guess it is not working fully in nougat. So any suggestions?

Xenogenics

Jul 15, 2012
I understood the instructions and got stuck at dirtysanta's step of typing "run-as con" into the console.

It gave me the error of unknown package and the reason for it giving that error is apparently I'm on the latest security patch, so no root for me unless there is a way to downgrade security patches.

I'm not going to try any further because I value the data I have on my phone, but if flashing a previous stock .kdz file using LGUP DOES NOT erase data and yet roll back security patches, then I will be willing to move forward.

Edit: If anyone wants simplified steps, here it is.

Step 1: Ensure you have a backup plan: https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/restore-v20-to-100-stock-bricked-devices-t3524903

Step 2: Ensure you have ADB/Fastboot files installed and working: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Step 3: Ensure you have all relevant files prepared:
Installed backup plan.
Installed Terminal Emulator on device.
Downloaded dirtysanta's files and copied them to ADB directory.
Downloaded emdroidle's files, Put emdroidle's TWRP and SuperSU zip into SD card, and emdroidle's step3_h990.bat into ADB directory.

Step 4: Using dirtysanta's steps: Run "RUNMEFIRST.bat" <-- Do not close.

Step 5: Run "step1.bat" <-- Wait until you can type something again.

Step 6: Type "run-as con" <-- If you get unknown package error, means your latest security patch patched it out, boohoo no root.

Step 7: Type "chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*"

Step 8: Open Terminal Emulator, Type "id"

Step 9: Look for something containing "untrusted_app". If not found, Start all over again. If found, continue.

Step 10: Type "applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta" into Terminal Emulator

Step 11: Wait for RUNMEFIRST.bat console to prompt you to run step2.bat.

Step 12: Run "step2.bat"

Step 13: Run emdroidle's "step3_h990.bat"

After step 13, boot in to TWRP.
Press and hold volume DOWN; press and hold power until the LG logo comes up, then briefly release power (0.5-1.0sec) and then hold power again.
You will then be prompted "Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings?"
Select "Yes" twice, and as long as TWRP installation was successful you'll get into TWRP and NO RESET will be done.
Inside TWRP flash emdroidle's "h990ds-kernel.zip" and then flash SuperSU.zip. At this point the process should be complete. There won't be static on boot, you'll have root and nothing else should have changed.

Edit2: I do not know if this works as I got stuck at typing "run-as con" because I am on the latest security patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: emdroidle

rubiicon59

Mar 8, 2015
Liverpool
Odd how quiet the thread is now root is apparently working.
And yeah its quite complicated following the instructions in both threads.
An updated all-in-one guide (combined from both threads) would make a big difference.

Prowler_gr

Jun 5, 2010
My antivirus was deleting the "dirtycow" binary from the required files...
As soon as I disabled it I was able to run the exploit

Prowler_gr

Jun 5, 2010
Any help appreciated. Got myself a soft brick.
I was able to get to the screen saying "Factory data reset" and message "Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) - BUT -
I get static when I get toTWRP (no picture), the same when booting normally.
I'm still able to get into fastboot.
LGUP recognises my phone as US996 so unable to revert to stock...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THE BOUNTY IS BEING CLAIMED! CONGRATULATIONS @emdroidle!

YES YOU READ CORRECTLY. ROOT ON V20 H990DS is NOW AVAILABLE!

NEW USERS: Read from approx pages 45-60, where MOST users have learned of the root process, CAREFULLY implemented it following steps with caution and ROOTED their H990DS with success! A NEW THREAD has been created by the ROOT PROCESS owner, @emdroidle, here:

https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/dirtysanta-h990-t3624296/

The method is viable and working for at LEAST 15 different people. So, rest assured this is not a "flash in the pan" or fluke, its legit and working! This thread is as good as closed. Here's some HIGHLIGHTS from the dev:

emdroidle said:
    roosta said:
    Can you check with the success stories if camera focus has been affected? Are there any current issues worth mentioning?

The only problem I am currently aware of is USB-C to HDMI isn't working, my adapter was outputting a bad frequency my display couldn't handle [i doubt many people need/use this]

I've got some hopes of making the whole root process simpler, but that may be quite a bit of work. Problem is we're constrained by what SE Linux allows. Working around SE Linux makes things really complicated. :( I've also got the tasks of needing security updates and getting lined up with the tip of LineageOS's tree.

I can only know the number of people who report success, there could be many more who never report. I think we've got more than 15 reports [as of 2 weeks ago], so seems pretty functional within the limitations (several of the steps being kind of complicated).

NOTE: Unless you plan to contribute some dollars via Paypal to the developer (who put countless weeks, arguably months) into trialing and testing his process, then there really is NO OTHER REASON TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD. If you'd like to contribute, then by all means, you can do so DIRECTLY to the developer via Paypal by clicking here.

CONTRIBUTION PLEDGES ARE LISTED BELOW! Even further below, I will post those who are confirmed to have **PAID** their bounties.

SIDE NOTE FROM THE OP: Sorry LG, you've lost me as a customer. You don't "randomly" unlock SOME bootloaders of V20 and leave the H990DS model customers hanging. I won't be returning to your brand of smartphones in the future, either. Great job on customer/developer support in your OWN community you pack of knobs!
    I have successfully root H990DS with the following steps. I try to make it as detail as possible.

(A) Check model and version
    - Make sure your phone model is H990DS. If model is different this rooting procedure is not for your v20.
    Settings > General > About phone > Common > Hardware Info > Model Number = LG-H990ds
    - Make sure your v20 security patch level is before 2017. If patch level is not before 2017, perform step (E)1.
    Settings > General > About phone > Common > Software Info > Android security patch level

(B) As this root method will format data, make sure you have backup your phone data onto a desktop/laptop computer. If you backup to SD card, the SD card must not be encrypted! (failures will destroy the key and the data)

(C) Ensure you have ADB/Fastboot files installed and working: https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2588979

(D) Make sure adb working with the following steps
    - Unplug sync cable
    - Enable developer mode in setting menu (click "Build Number" 7 times)
    - Set USB debugging -> On
    - Plug your device into the computer again and verify ADB is working by typing in adb folder "adb devices" (should show LGH990?????? Device)

(E) Download the required files
    1. if your security patch version is after 2016, get kdz for 10c and LGUP for "UPGRADE" the firmware
    2. Downloaded dirtysanta's files (https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/ls997vs995h910-dirtysanta-bootloader-t3519410) and copied them to ADB directory. (can delete boot1.img and boot2.img, Step3.bat and Step3.sh)
    3. Downloaded h990 TWRP (https://build.nethunter.com/test-builds/twrp/lge/twrp-3.0.2-1-h990.img) and copied them to ADB directory
    4. Choose and downloaded one of the emdroidle's kernel zip file from this post (https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/dirtysanta-h990-t3624296) into SD card; (emdroidle's step3_h990.bat is not required)
    5. Downloaded SuperSU (https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu) zip into SD card
    6. put SD card into the device
    7. Installed Terminal Emulator App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm) on device.

(F) Disable antivirus (if necessary)

(G) Using dirtysanta's steps: Run
    Code:
    RUNMEFIRST.bat
    <-- Do not close the command window as we will need it in later step.

(H) Run command prompt, change folder to adb folder and type
    Code:
    step1.bat
    <-- Wait until you can type something again.

(I) In the "Step 1" command prompt, type
    Code:
    run-as con
    <-- If you get unknown package error, means your latest security patch patched it out (can be avoided if you have performed step (A)), boohoo no root. If you can find an earlier firmware KDZ for your device, LGUP should be able to install it and you'll be able to root.

(J) In the "Step 1" command prompt, Type
    Code:
    chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*

(K) Start Terminal Emulator App at the device and type
    Code:
    id

(L) At Terminal Emulator App, look for something containing "untrusted_app". If not found, Start all over again. If found, continue next step.

(M) At Terminal Emulator App, type
    Code:
    applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta

(N) Wait for RUNMEFIRST.bat console to prompt you to run step2.bat.

(O) Run command prompt, change folder to adb folder and type
    Code:
    step2.bat
    and wait it to finish

(P) Run command prompt, change folder to adb folder and type
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-h990.img
    and wait it to finish, then wait further 30 seconds and run the same command again and then wait for another 30 seconds to enable the command to execute completely.

(Q) unplug sync cable, pull out battery wait 5 seconds and put back afterward

(R) boot in to TWRP.
    Press and hold volume DOWN; press and hold power until the LG logo comes up, then briefly release power (0.5-1.0sec) and then hold power again.
    You will then be prompted "Delete all user data and reset all settings?"
    Select ""Yes"" twice, and as long as TWRP installation was successful you'll get into TWRP and NO RESET will be done.

(S) Once in TWRP, Press Cancel on the password prompt and then swipe to allow system modifications.
    Note:If you wish to make a back up now, you MUST save it to your SD card, and you cannot backup the data partition.

(T) After the backup is complete, return to the main menu
    - hit "Wipe"
    - Swipe to Factory Reset
    - click Format Data and type "Yes" to start format
    - Install Kernel.zip
    - Install SuperSU.zip
    - Reboot

(U) During reboot you will get a Red Triangle with a "!" inside, this is normal (The first boot after flashing SuperSu will even show the Red triangle two times before system completely boot (this will take awhile)). It may appear like the system has frozen but it has not. JUST WAIT!

(V) Check if SuperSU App is installed. If yes then your v20 H990DS is rooted!

(W) enable antivirus if your disabled at the beginning

Hope this will help for rooting the H990DS. If there is any step missing please let me know.
    This posting is nominally retired. Please go to the "official" thread here for potentially updated instructions and more kernel builds.

Beware! This is currently at beta status and only a few people have successfully tried this so far.

While I have tried to ensure this works for anyone, this may fail. The result of a failure could include voiding of warranty and hardware damage. This is also one of the most complicated rooting procedures due to SE Linux, sorry about this, but we've been unable to simplify things.

As preparation, I would like folks to be familiar with LGUP/LGBridge and how to use them. Using LGUP is also how to get back to stock. On the H990DS Bluetooth is implemented via kernel module and the kernel module has to be loaded off /system, therefore there is no choice but to write to /system.

Step 2 of DirtySanta retrieves the files "abootbackup.img", "bootbackup.img" and "recoverybackup.img". Save these files! I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect "abootbackup.img" may need to be restored before doing full LGUP.

For the most part the steps are identical to the classic DirtySanta, but a few of the files are different.

Once you get to step 3, the procedure is different.
    First, the TWRP image is different, use this one instead, which targets the H990. Instead of running step3.sh/step3.bat; instead run the command `fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-h990.img`,
    then repeat this command (apparently the debug bootloader is unreliable with this command). After this run the command `fastboot reboot`, then follow the directions for getting into TWRP.
    Instead of running step3.sh/step3.bat, unpack the attached step3_h990.zip and run step3_h900.sh if on OSX/Linux/FreeBSD/Unix or click on step3_h990.bat if on Windows.

After step 3, do not do the `fastboot flash boot bootbackup.img` step. Instead flash the attached zip (a specially modified kernel targeting the H990DS) during the same step as flashing SuperSU.

Likewise "boot1.img" and "boot2.img" should also be ignored. Those are for DirtySanta with the US V20 models, and not the H990DS.

After step 3, boot in to TWRP. Press and hold volume DOWN; press and hold power until the LG logo comes up, then briefly release power (0.5-1.0sec) and then hold power again. You will then be prompted "Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings?", select "Yes" twice and as long as TWRP installation was successful you'll get into TWRP and no reset will be done.
    Inside TWRP flash the attached h990ds-kernel.zip and then flash SuperSU.zip. At this point the process should be complete. There won't be static on boot, you'll have root and nothing else should have changed.

1. Ensure you have a backup plan: https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/restore-v20-to-100-stock-bricked-devices-t3524903
    2. Backup your phone data. LG Bridge/LG Backup is pretty reliable, but I strongly advise backing up everything onto a desktop/laptop computer. If you backup to SD card, the SD card must not be encrypted! (failures will destroy the key and the data)
    3. Go to Settings -> General -> About phone -> Software info -> Android security patch level; if your phone is on an update after December 31, use LGUP to "refurbish" to an earlier firmware release (this will do a factory reset).
    4. Ensure you have ADB/Fastboot files installed and working: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
    5. Ensure you have all relevant files prepared:
      Installed backup plan.
      Installed Terminal Emulator on device.
      Downloaded dirtysanta's files and copied them to ADB directory.
      Downloaded files, Put kernel and SuperSU zip into SD card; and TWRP into ADB directory.
      Note: It may be necessary to download anti-virus/anti-malware programs when unpacking the original DirtySanta. At least one has detected `dirtycow`/CVE-2016-5195 as malware (it can in fact act in that role).

[*]Using dirtysanta's steps: Run "RUNMEFIRST.bat" <-- Do not close.

[*]Run "step1.bat" <-- Wait until you can type something again.

[*]Type "run-as con" <-- If you get unknown package error, means your latest security patch patched it out; go back to step 3. LGUP should be able to downgrade you to an earlier firmware update.

[*]Type "chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*"

[*]Open Terminal Emulator, Type "id"

[*]Look for something containing "untrusted_app". If not found, Start all over again. If found, continue.

[*]Type "applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta" into Terminal Emulator

[*]Wait for RUNMEFIRST.bat console to prompt you to run step2.bat.

[*]Run "step2.bat"

[*]Save copies of the files "abootbackup.img" and "bootbackup.img" produced in the previous step (will be in the same directory as "step2.bat"), the latter is crucial in returning to stock.

[*]At a command prompt run the following commands, but make sure to wait at least 30 seconds between each. Do not skimp on that delay as otherwise the likelihood is this will fail (this is the most unreliable step in this process); waiting longer than 30 seconds is fine.
      Code:

fastboot reboot

[*]Step 17: Boot in to TWRP.
      You will then be prompted "Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings?"
      Select "Yes" twice, and as long as TWRP installation was successful you'll get into TWRP and NO RESET will be done.
      Inside TWRP flash "h990ds-kernel.zip" and then flash SuperSU.zip. At this point the process should be complete. There won't be static on boot, you'll have root and nothing else should have changed.

Going back to stock:
    As with those whole rooting procedure, this is hazardous. Be careful, go slow and don't rush things.

Method 1: (TWRP, strongly preferred!)
    1. Boot into TWRP (DOWN + Power with a brief release during LG logo).
    2. Copy the file "abootbackup.img" from your archive to your phone (adb push abootbackup.img /).
    3. Run `adb shell` and type (or copy&paste) the following commands:
      Code:
      dd if=abootbackup.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/aboot
      sync
      sleep 30
      sync
    4. Get into Download mode. Power off phone from TWRP. Press and hold UP, then power phone on (no need to hold power).
    5. Load the appropriate KDZ file onto your phone via LGUP.

Method 2: (fastboot)
    1. Boot into fastboot mode. Any of these methods should work:
      • (if Android running normally) Run `adb reboot bootloader`
      • (from a powered down state) Press and hold DOWN, then plug in USB cable.
      • (powered down, USB plugged in) Press and hold DOWN, then power on.
    2. With "abootbackup.img" in the current directory run the following commands, while waiting at least 30 seconds between them:
      Code:
      fastboot flash aboot abootbackup.img
      (wait >30s)
      fastboot flash aboot abootbackup.img
      (wait >30s)
      fastboot reboot
    3. Get into Download mode. Press and hold UP. If the phone has already started to load Android, pull the battery, reinstall battery; then press and hold UP and power on.
    4. Load the appropriate KDZ file onto your phone via LGUP.

Warning: This is at beta testing state and could well brick your device. No warranty is provided, use at your own risk (though I certainly hope nothing will go wrong).

These directions are likely very poor quality, if you're not well experienced with shell prompts and all the tricks that can be done, please wait. This kernel is also exclusively for the H990DS, if you've got any other model, stay away. The H990 (single-SIM) will not work, though you could have an interesting experiment.

Folks who haven't done a lot of experimentation, please hold off until experienced people have confirmed this works. There is a lot that could go wrong.

I believe I have fulfilled the condition for the bounty.

Thanks to:
    @me2151 the original DirtySanta bootloader, crucial for this to work
    @thubble for figuring out the last bit of the modem and (successful) guinea pig #2
    @USA-RedDragon for making everyone aware of LineageOS's source tree
    @exadeci (successful) guinea pig #1
    @Xenogenics helping others, posting some reasonable instructions

MD5: 5182bc528db03c2848c591f809a65564
    SHA160: 14bd8f2714fd652b259b6a60407d071dbf672809
    SHA512: dc049ab1e83a51a40e59d7871e1b122559836c1df13b2f7104f13d2cf82d3eb7ca767def108d267d56ae90e7ee58c5f3fc95d60af638a492cb113a982bf64315
    Donation Tally by Contributor / Model (Currency conversion REMOVED):

@malifact / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @Artcrime / H990DS / $20 AUD
    @dr jakub / H990DS / $50 US
    @donkanmcklaus / H990DS / $50 US
    @reaktor TuT / H990DS / $20 US
    @mix1987 / H990DS / 20 SGD
    @andired / H990DS / $20 US
    @InsertDumbNick / H990DS / $30 US
    @jdmsohc22 / H990DS / $20 US
    @MartianNinja / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @Singularity_iOS / H990DS / $40 AUD
    @invertedskull / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @MrMunch / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @sallad08 / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @hashim17 / H990DS / $30 AUD
    @benjpw / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @exadeci - H990DS / $50 AUD
    @Moordenaar / H990DS / 50 Euro
    @norvik61 / H990DS / $50 AUD
    @eslonim / H990DS / $20 AUD
    @etm500 / H990DS / $50 US
    @RdT21 / H990DS / $20 US
    @tutux / H990DS / $40 CAD
    @Perpatoura / H990DS / $10 Euro *Paid in US*
    @umby75 / H990DS / $30 AUD
    @coolfire000 / H990DS / $40 AUD
    @halfnhalf71 / H990DS / $20 AU
    @alandaleb / H990DS / $50 USD
    @allyrocky /H990DS / $10 US
    @Pierre118 / H990DS / $20 Euro *Paid in US currency*
    @dbo989 / H990DS / $100 US
    @darkstorm99 / H990DS / $30 AUD
    @brunochka / H990DS / 30 Euro
    @ghostrider08 / H990DS / 30 US
    @mcall_r / H990DS / 10 GBP
    @nt02469 / H990DS / 30 Euro
    @mekanix / H990DS / $20 US
    @rubiicon59 / H990DS / 20 GBP
    @speculatrix / H990DS / 20 USD
    @faeterov / H990DS / $10 USD
    @adriansiv / H990DS / $20 USD
    @KOLIOSIS / H990DS / $50 USD
    @elric002 / H990DS / 30 Euro

THANK YOU is extended to other contributors:
    Chan Vicki SG$10
    Joel James AU$20
    Zhady030 CA$20

@ThomasKHLUS$30

*** There is a USD $20 and $50 unclaimed bounties. If your name isn't struck from this list and you HAVE paid, please send me your transaction number. If I've missed you, let me know.

Whilst I've added pledges from more pages, I've checked ALL posts prior to the crack and its discussion in this thread. If I've missed your post, let me know. Pages up to and including #60 accounted for. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS CONTRIBUTED AFTER THIS PAGE LET ME KNOW OR ALERT ME VIA A MENTION
    I'm still slogging along. I'm feeling a bit like Han Solo trying to get into the bunker in "Return of the Jedi": "I think I've got it!" (then we see another portion of the hatch closes)

Still managing to come up with new ideas, but no dice yet.