FORUMS

[Guide] LG V20 Back to Life [Download mode] [LG Flash tool] [Unknown model in LGUP]

399 posts
Thanks Meter: 337

Post Reply Email Thread
Overview:
Did you got that annoying "Unknown Model" in LGUP and now are struck download mode. This usually happens when you try to root with dirty and do something wrong to mess up entire process.

What Actually happened in my case:

I had a friend who tried to root his H990ds with dirtysanta but due to some issues the whole process messed and his phone was struck in download mode. Phone was unable to go pass LG logo and boot. LGUP was unable to recognize the phone. We tried different ways, different drivers but all in vain. So, we were able to do this process and it worked finally.
This process was tested with H990ds. Here files for H990ds are provided. You need files respective for your model.

Possible Cases:
So I will not waste the time. Possible cases:
1: LG V20 stuck on download mode and it is now not being recognized by LGUP and you can’t do anything, because no other tool is available.
2: You installed a custom ROM and now LGUP is not recognizing it. You want to go back to stock and can’t do it.
3: Anything bad happened during flashing process, PC restarted, phone went off or whatever. And now you can’t bring it back to life.
¬ Or
Other cases you faced.

Read 4th post before proceeding,

Before asking a question, first, see FAQ in 3rd post. In that way you can save a lot of time.

Things You need:
1: LG UP
2: Uppercut
3: Drivers
4 : LG Flash tool (the one used to bring LG G2, G3 back to stock).
5: LG Firmware extract tool
(All above files can be found in 2nd post)
6: Stock ROM for your device.
I used V10g KDZ for H990ds. You need to download KDZ of your specified model.
7: Dll specified for your model (in 2nd post H990ds dll is provided)

Process:
First:
Uninstall all other tool, previous driver (including other phone’s too). Restart PC
Just to avoid problems. I tried this process many times on Windows 10 64-bit and it always worked for me. So it has no problems with new Windows OS.
Now follow procedure in exact order.

1: Install Latest LG drivers.
Put Phone in download
(Hold Vol+ and connect to PC while it was powered off).
Wait until it finishes installing drivers. Change COM Port to 41.

com

( Refer here for changing this, If you can’t understand that.)

Now DC it from PC and keep it staying in Download mode.

2: Install LG Flash tool and copy megalock.dll to installation directory or it won’t work.

LG Flash tool
MG

MGG

3: Install LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.

4: Extract LG Firmware Extract and copy Stock KDZ to that folder.

5: Run WindowsLGFirmwareExtract.exe. Click on Open.

6: Select your KDZ. Select all content off kdz.

7: Click on extract kdz. Wait for kdz to extract. You will notice a dz and LGUPc.dll.

8: Run LG Flash Tool. Select Manual Mode.

9: Select LGUPc.dll in dll section.

10: Select .kdz in S/W section (You will have to select show all files to make .kdz visible).

11: Now Begin downloading by pressing "Yellow Right Arrow". Connect phone in download mode.
The step will fail at 4%. Now Disconnect phone. Do not turn off phone. Just disconnect it.
12: Now exit and start LG Flash Tool again. Select Manual Mode. This time Select LGUP_H990ds.dll this time for dll section
(You need different dll for different model. For example, "LGUP_VS995.dll" for VS995 variant )
13: Now select that extracted dz in S/W section this time. Click on Start Arrow. Connect phone.

14: This time the flashing will begin. It will go upto 150%. Wait for it to complete.
After flashing phone will boot into a screen with a big 2 on screen. After some time it will change into big 3.

15: When it changes into big 3. Pull the battery and start the phone.
Your phone should start after some time. It should be detected by LGUP.

For Phone Stuck at Big 2:
If your phone stuck at big 2 during process then you will have 2 choice, either restart process from start or flash this time with LGUP. Because phone is now running a fully stock firmware it should be detected by LGUP completely. You can simply flash kdz with LGUP and it will not show big 2 on screen. You need to start LGUP with uppercut.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
10th August 2018, 07:37 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Attachments:
1: LG FlashTool
2: LG Firmware Extract 1.2.5
3: Uppercut
4: LGUP 1.14.3
5: Driver 4.2
or Mirror for Drivers (All Version) (Use latest)
DLL Files:
LG H990DS DLL
LG VS995 DLL
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
10th August 2018, 07:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
FAQ
  • I got confused on which Flash tool to use and with this megalock stuff?
Ans: Thanks, you asked, Just download LG Flash Tool attached in 2nd post, unzip, install tool, there will be a megalock.dll too, copy that to installation folder (by default that's "C:\LG\LGFlashTool") and overwrite, (written in install. Instructions too inside zip).
  • This method isn't working for me, what shall I do?
Ans: The possible reasons, for that not working, might be,
A: You didn't installed drivers properly, try uninstalling old drivers and restarting after that.
B: LG COM PORT isn't set to COM41, here is guide for that.
C: And Most important, You are not following steps in the order in which they are written, so read carefully.
  • Where I can download stock KDZ or dll for my LG Phone (other than V20)
Ans: Most LG Phone KDZs can be found at this website.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
10th August 2018, 07:38 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
First of All:
After Flashing let me know about your experience by answering the poll, this will help me in updating this post. Also tell me about you experience in comments.
Disclaimer:

Before proceeding, remember I’m not responsible for anything bad happened to your device by following this or any of my guide. I’m just trying to help. So always do it on your own risk…
Don’t blame me or Any other developer.
All tools here are developed by different personalities. I’m just providing a guide on using these tool. Always say thanks to me and them. And If possible, donate them. They really deserve it.
Thanks be to:
@AutoPrime for All.
@Hyelton for post on LG Flash tool.
@bullghost for lg firmware extractor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
14th August 2018, 09:45 PM |#6  
Flag Islamabad
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksoni411

Last one. Sorry for using too much space

I followed this guide through all the steps since my device was unknown in LGUP (patched).

Now I'm stuck with nice LG boot logo (not even the warning screen), TWRP and unlocked bootloader with working fastboot commands.

No matter whichever rom I flash through TWRP, I end up on the LG logo when I reboot, rooted or not. I have tried H910_10r, LOS 15.1, LOS 14.1 with respective gamma kernels or without and I can't get past the LG logo. Also, there is no LG Flash tool compatible DLL for H915 / H910 / H910PR. Just only H918 on the website you mentioned.
I have 3 USB Type-C cables which all work with QPST factory reset for Lenovo ZUK Z2 and I've tried both USB 2.0 as well as USB 3.0 ports on my two laptops. Both have drivers test-signing enabled and I've flashed kdz's in the past without any hassle.
14th August 2018, 10:02 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_prince

I followed this guide through all the steps since my device was unknown in LGUP (patched).

Now I'm stuck with nice LG boot logo (not even the warning screen), TWRP and unlocked bootloader with working fastboot commands.

No matter whichever rom I flash through TWRP, I end up on the LG logo when I reboot, rooted or not. I have tried H910_10r, LOS 15.1, LOS 14.1 with respective gamma kernels or without and I can't get past the LG logo. Also, there is no LG Flash tool compatible DLL for H915 / H910 / H910PR. Just only H918 on the website you mentioned.
I have 3 USB Type-C cables which all work with QPST factory reset for Lenovo ZUK Z2 and I've tried both USB 2.0 as well as USB 3.0 ports on my two laptops. Both have drivers test-signing enabled and I've flashed kdz's in the past without any hassle.

Try using dll from common folder in patched lgup. Use that dll with dz. Extracted dll from kdz with kdz.
14th August 2018, 11:04 PM |#8  
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:

Try using dll from common folder in patched lgup. Use that dll with dz. Extracted dll from kdz with kdz.

Alright I used the LGUPc.dll with the kdz and ended up with error at 4%

then I selected common dll and the extracted .dz file.

I ended up in the error as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1080
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	4572184  
14th August 2018, 11:59 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_prince

Alright I used the LGUPc.dll with the kdz and ended up with error at 4%

then I selected common dll and the extracted .dz file.

I ended up in the error as shown in the picture.

You said you were rooted before. Which means you aboot is from us996. So you need to flash us996 kdz (along us996 dz) using this method. If you want to use that kdz you have then you need to restore your abootbackup.
I recommend download us996 and flashing it. After that you're phone will be detected then lgup then you can flash stock original kdz if you want to.
15th August 2018, 12:19 AM |#10  
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:

You said you were rooted before. Which means you aboot is from us996. So you need to flash us996 kdz (along us996 dz) using this method. If you want to use that kdz you have then you need to restore your abootbackup.
I recommend download us996 and flashing it. After that you're phone will be detected then lgup then you can flash stock original kdz if you want to.

I have US996_10f kdz as well and its in the same boat. Same error at 4%

I'm now fully stock but the download mode shows 633A B50 on the status screen.
15th August 2018, 11:01 AM |#11  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Can I use this to convert ls997 into us996 for bootloader unlock and root purposes?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash using lg flash tool, lg v20 hard bricked, lg v20 stuck in lg logo, unknown model in lgup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)