FORUMS

View Poll Results: Is this guide easy and working for you?

Yes. Fully working and very easy

3 Vote(s)
30.00%
It is working but it is difficult to follow

3 Vote(s)
30.00%
It is very easy to follow but it is not working

1 Vote(s)
10.00%
Neither it is easy nor it is working.

3 Vote(s)
30.00%

[Guide][Tutorial] Root TWRP LG V20 using Dirtysanta[H915][Working Signals]

399 posts
Thanks Meter: 337

Post Reply Email Thread
Good day,
Here's the modified dirtysanta method to root LG V20 and install TWRP. This guide will help you in rooting your device with much easier situation.

Before you begin:
Read this carefully and completely. In this tutorial, I will teach you how to root your Canadian LG V20 using DirtySanta method. As LG V20 H915 can be rooted with dirysanta method but after rooting signal/cellular service do not work. Due to this issue we need to convert H915 to US996 variant. There is already some guides for doing this but the catch in this guide is that you don't have to flash a H915 kdz --> Root --> Flash US996 rom --> US996 kdz --> Root --> Flash US996 rom.
This tutorial uses the potential of patched LGUP to skip long parts and makes the process more easy and comfortable. I got some inspiration for rooting from this thread
Before proceeding read 4th post carefully.

Required Things:
All things that you require for this process can be found in 2nd post.

Preparation:
1: Turn off your anti-virus as it can delete some rooting files.
Phase 1: (Converting H915 to US996)
1: Download all files given in 2nd post.
2: Extract and copy LGUP to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics" (for 32-bit windows C:\Program Files\LG Electronics). (Location varies as per location of your windows installation drive)
3: Install LG Driver (If not already)
4: Backup any of your data if you need it because you will loss your data from internal storage.
5: Put phone into download mode. (Switch off phone, hold vol-up button and plug into pc while holding that button)

Phase 2: (Rooting our converted phone and installing a custom rom)
1: Download all files given here (A Root package and terminal emulator)

Steps:
1: Connect phone to your PC while in download mode.

ExecuteLGUP

2: Run "LGUP.exe". It should detect your phone. If you need backup of your current OS then click on dump partition radio button on LGUP and select start. Click on select all when a pop-up appears asking for which partition to dump.
(Backup can take upto 20gb of space).

SelectKDZ

3: Select "PartitionDL" button from LGUP. Click on 3 dots button and select downloaded US996 kdz. Now press start.
(Click on select all partition when a pop-up appears about which partitions to flash) Wait till it finishes flashing.

KDZFlashing

SelectPartitions

ClickStart

4: After flashing is done. Your phone will boot into sysgem. Do some normal settings. (Do not login with any google account).

WaitTillFinishes

FlashFinished

5: Now use this GUIDE to root your phone

If you're facing secure startup after rooting (even you disabled it), then you will have to factory reset your phone using TWRP.

6: As of now you have a stock rooted US996 converted phone. You can continue and flash a custom debloated US996 rom if you want and can stop here and use your phone
(You can flash any custom rom of your choice for US996)

7: Now boot into TWRP. Copy "US996_deODEXd_Stock_NRD90M.zip" in your phone.

CopyROM

8: Flash this zip through TWRP.

9: If you want to flash any kernel then flash supersu or magisk after flashing kernel.
Reboot phone into system and you will have custom Rom with root.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
16th March 2018, 07:20 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Download:
1: US996 10f KDZ

2: Tilde88's US996 100% Stock deODEXEd Rom

3: LG Drivers

4:
A: H915 Modem
(Use this if you think signal strength is not much better). It can flashed through TWRP.

B: US996 Modem
(To be used for us996o or later firmware)

5: Patched LGUP

Optional = H915 KDZ 10e
(If you want H915 rootable kdz)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LGUP_V20dll_Patched.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.62 MB, 3224 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
16th March 2018, 07:21 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
FAQ
  • i have h915 v20 phone on h91510q patch. I am very new to this process and was wondering if you can help me. I have looked up the dirtyelf guide for h915 and it looks complicated to follow. I want to be able to use your guide for my h915 phone.
This guide is as easy and short as it can be. Thanks to patch LGUP you can cross firmware flash without first rooting H915 then flashing US996 zip and all other process. Process is simple. We will flash a rootable US996 kdz on H915 which is given in 2nd post. Then we will root it
  • Why aren't we flashing a rootable H915. Why we have to convert H915 into US996. Why,why?
The reason for converting our h915 to US996 is not much difficult.
We can flash a rootable H915 kdz and root it but there is a problem. The problem is that after rooting (which flashes an engineering aboot img) our modem doesn't somehow accept it and it do not work. So, we loss cellular network. That's why we convert H915 into US996 because it has no such problem.
  • hm i had ask it not to ask for pin on startup and now its not accepting my pin. how would i boot to recovery mode?
Booting to recovery is same as all previous G series and V series phone.
Here is the method.
Power off phone (simply take battery out and in)
Hold vol- and power button together. When you see LG logo, quickly release power button and then press it back (don't leave volume down button during all process). It will show a factory reset warning with yes and no option. Release all buttons. Use volume keys to navigate through these options and power for selection. Select yes and yes. After a while (2 to 5 minutes) it will boot into window.
  • Can I revert back to stock kdz after following your guide.
    What if Oreo gets released and I want to flash H915 kdz on my phone after following your guide
Yes, you can directly flash H915 kdz on your US996 converted phone from H915. That's actual power of patched LGUP.
But you need to remember if new updates increment ARB (Anti-Roll Back) version then after flashing that kdz you won't be able to get back to older Nougat build if you want to root again. Which means you could loss root permanently if LG increments ARB through any future update. Always check for ARB before flashing any stock kdz or getting ota on your phone (If you think you would like to root).
This can be wrong if any other method to root is found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
16th March 2018, 07:21 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Disclaimer:
As always, this method is simplified for you to work more easily. It does have risks same as other rooting method involves along some additional. There can be many problems faced if you don't study carefully. I will try my best to assist you for any issue you face but still there can be things about which I can be unaware of. There can situations which needs to be handled with patience. So, I'm not responsible for bricked devices, faulted or non-operational devices, sdcard not working or any other things/situations that you faced after following this guide or before following it. If you have enough patience, reading ability and the talent of asking questions with more details and love then you're always welcome to try and share your experience. Always read FAQ because most of your questions might be answered there or search thread for your issues as someone already may have faced and fixed that problem to you. Again Me any other person isn't responsible for bad outcome even your friend who is doing you a favor by rooting your device for you (for free) as you are afraid of doing it your-self or not.
Anyways, have happy rooting.

Credits:
I am writing this guide due to these people.
darkknight2000 --> For pursuing me to write this. Following instructions to verify workings and providing that modem img

me2151 --> For dirtysanta method

Tilde88--> For deODEXEd rom
Prowler_gr --> For patched LGUP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
16th March 2018, 07:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Can you convert ls997zvc to us996 to use gsm unlock?
16th March 2018, 08:29 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvanexel

Can you convert ls997zvc to us996 to use gsm unlock?

If there's kdz available for ls997 as a backup to return if anything goes wrong then you can try flashing given kdz using patched LGUP
16th March 2018, 06:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 185

More
haha nice write up. now i can direct the willing h915 people over here to your guide.

its much simpler less steps to root now compare to one we went thru at first.
16th March 2018, 06:37 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight200

haha nice write up. now i can direct the willing h915 people over here to your guide.

its much simpler less steps to root now compare to one we went thru at first.

Course you can.
16th March 2018, 06:45 PM |#10  
Flag Calgary, Ab
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
So after this process, I can flash US996 roms on my H915?
16th March 2018, 06:49 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippywilcox

So after this process, I can flash US996 roms on my H915?

I think so. I was able to flash US996 roms on my cousins H910 which I converted into US996 to test.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
h915 root, lg v20 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)