FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Restore v20 to 100% Stock (!!even for bricked devices!!)

292 posts
Thanks Meter: 104

By ahlok_hk, Senior Member on 24th December 2016, 04:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a simple method to restore your v20 to stock, I have tried with my bricked H990DS with wrong bootloader flashed.

1. Download .kdz file for your v20 model from the following links. Currently v20 models available are:
F800K, F800L, F800S, H915, H918TN, H990, VS995, H990N and H990DS
H990DS https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h990ds-firmwares/firmwares/
H990N https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h990n-firmwares/firmwares/
https://lg-firmwares.com/

2. Search, download and install LGUP ( LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi ) and a file called LGUP_common.dll

2a. Copy the LGUP_common.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common (May need to modify folder access right)

3. Search, download and install LG Driver ( LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.1.1.exe )

4. Completely Power off the v20 ( or to remove and put the battery back )

5. Plug the USB end of sync cable to your PC

6. Press and hold "Volume Up"

7. Plug in the USB-C end of sync cable to the v20. The phone will enter download mode (or Firmware Update). Now you can release the "Volume Up".

8. Run LGUP. The program will regconise the v20.

9. At the file path, click "..." and chose the .kdz file

10.Choose "UPGRADE"

11.Click "Start" and wait until the process is complete.

Now we have a safe method of restoring bricked v20. Hope developers can start trying to root without worrying of bricking the phone.

This method is verified on my H990DS. If anybody successfully flash using this method please let us know. Thanks!
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to ahlok_hk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahlok_hk Ad-Free

24th December 2016, 04:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Great thread! Just want to add a quick PSA for this:

This may update your phone to the latest firmware which may patchs the current recowvery exploit. While this will unbrick your phone, you should make sure that you have the a firmware below 10i (w/o patch) to flash. If you still have access to TWRP and don't have a 10d firmware for your device, use this instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to funkeywoookey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift funkeywoookey Ad-Free
24th December 2016, 04:58 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeywoookey

Great thread! Just want to add a quick PSA for this:

This will update your phone to the latest firmware, 10i (your phone came with 10d). The latest firmware patches the current recowvery exploit we use to root our V20s. While this will unbrick your phone, it should be used a last resort for those still using the 10d firmware and have access to TWRP (use this instead).

Thanks for the reminder. Actually it depends on what .kdz is available. For H990DS there is actually v10b firmware for download. So after I flash using this method the dirtycow exploit is still there. Take a look at the filename of the .kdz (e.g. 990ds10b_00_OPEN_TW_DS_OP_1125.kdz is v10b released at Nov 25) Seems that versions below v10i are still ok for dirtycow.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahlok_hk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahlok_hk Ad-Free
24th December 2016, 05:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlok_hk

Thanks for the reminder. Actually it depends on what .kdz is available. For H990DS there is actually v10b firmware for download. So after I flash using this method the dirtycow exploit is still there. Take a look at the filename of the .kdz (e.g. 990ds10b_00_OPEN_TW_DS_OP_1125.kdz is v10b released at Nov 25) Seems that versions below v10i are still ok for dirtycow.

Ahh! Nice! Hadn't considered that. I'll update my OP
24th December 2016, 05:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 710

More
Darn. Got my hopes up. No VS995 in the list. No T-Mobile and no Sprint either. I don't need it....yet...but I would love to have a restore method for my VS995. Though I've had an LG G3 rooted and flashing custom roms, kernels, and mods for 30 months and never once restored it to stock so perhaps the V20 will be the same
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imucarmen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imucarmen Ad-Free
24th December 2016, 09:55 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

This is a simple method to restore your v20 to stock, I have tried with my bricked H990DS with wrong bootloader flashed.

1. Download .kdz file for your v20 model from the following links. Currently v20 models available are:
F800K, F800L, F800S, H915, H918TN, H990, H990N and H990DS
http://lg-firmwares.com/category/lg-series/lg-v20-dual/
http://lg-firmwares.com/category/lg-series/lg-v20/

2. Search, download and install LGUP ( LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi )

3. Search, download and install LG Driver ( LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.1.1.exe )

4. Completely Power off the v20 ( or to remove and put the battery back )

5. Plug the USB end of sync cable to your PC

6. Press and hold "Volume Up"

7. Plug in the USB-C end of sync cable to the v20. The phone will enter download mode (or Firmware Update). Now you can release the "Volume Up".

8. Run LGUP. The program will regconise the v20.

9. At the file path, click "..." and chose the .kdz file

10.Choose "UPGRADE"

11.Click "Start" and wait until the process is complete.

Now we have a safe method of restoring bricked v20. Hope developers can start trying to root without worrying of bricking the phone.

This method is verified on my H990DS. If anybody successfully flash using this method please let us know. Thanks!

are you using uppercut for the model .dll in LGUP?
i have tried this method a few times over the last week, no luck. but i was pretty rough with my phone to be honest, no backup and tried all the other v20 variant roms.
right now LGUP detects my phone as a US99610D so will not flash the H990DS firmware, tried to edit the kdz in hex editor for name value but it detects the kdz as corrupt now. any experience with this?
24th December 2016, 12:16 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 881jz

are you using uppercut for the model .dll in LGUP?
i have tried this method a few times over the last week, no luck. but i was pretty rough with my phone to be honest, no backup and tried all the other v20 variant roms.
right now LGUP detects my phone as a US99610D so will not flash the H990DS firmware, tried to edit the kdz in hex editor for name value but it detects the kdz as corrupt now. any experience with this?

I did not use uppercut because anti-virus reported it detect trojan when I use the program.
24th December 2016, 12:44 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

I did not use uppercut because anti-virus reported it detect trojan when I use the program.

so you found a v20 dll file? do you mind posting a link? or how did you get past LGUP picking up v20 as unknown device? or was this not an issue for you?
24th December 2016, 01:05 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 881jz

so you found a v20 dll file? do you mind posting a link? or how did you get past LGUP picking up v20 as unknown device? or was this not an issue for you?

The LGUP first did not detect the device and asked for driver. So I installed the driver as mentioned in OP. After that i was able to flash the phone with the kdz file.
24th December 2016, 01:32 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Pleaseeeee helllllpppppp !!!!!!!
IS THERE AN KDZ FILE FOR SPRINT V20 VERSION LS997 PLEASEEEE HELPPPPP I WILL SHARE AND SUB AND WHAT YOU WANT PLEASSSSEEEEE HELPPP !!!!!!!:cr ying::cryi ng:
24th December 2016, 02:45 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Monkey

IS THERE AN KDZ FILE FOR SPRINT V20 VERSION LS997 PLEASEEEE HELPPPPP I WILL SHARE AND SUB AND WHAT YOU WANT PLEASSSSEEEEE HELPPP !!!!!!!:cr ying::cryi ng:

If you know your phone's IMEI number try here:
http://www.rootjunky.com/tag/kdz/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)