Its been a while, and I have some questions

Search This thread

Volmie

Apr 18, 2017
So I rooted my VZW Note 3 back when Hyperdrive was the most up to date ROM (4.4) and I've been on that for 2-3 years now. I came back and I see that people discovered how to unlock the bootloader, 6.0 ROMs available for the phone, etc, but I have absolutely zero clue where to start from here. My phone is sitting on rooted 4.4.2, knox 0x1, with Safestrap, I haven't gone back to stock or done any updates since I rooted and flashed this ROM, so when I say I'm not sure where to start I mean that pretty literally. Do I need to go back to stock and do updates to be able to re-root and use recoveries like TWRP as well as more up to date ROMs, can I do it straight from where I'm sitting now, or is there another process entirely? For the record I'm looking at this ROM, and I planned to unlock bootloader before flashing it, but if that's not necessary I might skip it.

Hope this all makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try to clarify. Thanks for any and all assistance, hopefully you guys will be able to help get me up to speed

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
What bootloader version are you on ("4.4" is ambiguous) and does your phone have a eMMC (flash memory chip) with a CID value beginning with 0x15?

(You can use the market app "eMMC Brickbug Check" to find the CID value.)

Not all phones which are rooted can be unlocked (specifically devices with CID values starting w/ 0x11 can not be unlocked)

(FYI I'm running AryaMod with an older bootloader (NC4) just fine, BTW; but that MM/6.0 ROM requires a custom kernel, so it can only be used on unlocked bootloader devices)

Volmie

Apr 18, 2017
What bootloader version are you on ("4.4" is ambiguous) and does your phone have a eMMC (flash memory chip) with a CID value beginning with 0x15?

(You can use the market app "eMMC Brickbug Check" to find the CID value.)

Not all phones which are rooted can be unlocked (specifically devices with CID values starting w/ 0x11 can not be unlocked)

(FYI I'm running AryaMod with an older bootloader (NC4) just fine, BTW; but that MM/6.0 ROM requires a custom kernel, so it can only be used on unlocked bootloader devices)

Yeah its 0x15, checked yesterday when I saw the unlock thread, bootloader is NC2 though (assuming I'm looking at the right thing, end of the baseband info line), does that screw me over?

Last edited:

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I'm at a loss, my build number only shows "RLS8", any other way I can find it?

as root

Code:
cat /proc/cmdline

and you'll see it in the name/value pair androidboot.bootloader=

Because of how you are asking this question, it might be reasonable to assume that you never flashed a modem separately from a bootloader, so all chances are that your bootloader is also NC2

If that's the case, I 'd be inclined to say there is no need for you to flash a newer bootloader and start all over with rooting. Just unlock the bootloader you already have installed.

Reactions: Volmie

Volmie

Apr 18, 2017
as root

Code:
cat /proc/cmdline

Because of how you are asking this question, it might be reasonable to assume that you never flashed a modem separately from a bootloader, so all chances are that your bootloader is also NC2

If that's the case, I 'd be inclined to say there is no need for you to flash a newer bootloader and start all over with rooting. Just unlock the bootloader you already have installed.

You would be correct, I knew barley anything few years ago and I forgot most of it at this point. That said, I appreciate the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm at a loss, my build number only shows "RLS8", any other way I can find it?

as root

Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline