End of true unlimited data on the way

Search This thread

donc113

Jul 27, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
From The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937217/what-you-need-to-know-about-verizon-lte-throttling

For those of us that have unlimited, in Oct. Verizon will start throttling the top 5% of users IF THE TOWER YOU ARE CONNECTED TO SEES HEAVY USAGE.

4 conditions have to be met.

1. You still have an unlimited data plan.
2. You are on a month to month basis
3. You are a top 5% user (right now anyone above 5.7GB/month is in that category).
4. The tower you are connected to is being heavily used (total of all users).

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

brex91

Nov 29, 2013
saw that the other day, hopefully wont apply to me, as I live in a small town.

Sucks though

ChevyNexus

Oct 1, 2011
Toledo
you are promised unlimited data, but not a set speed. I am on the unlimited plan and do use a lot of data but I'm fine with this. I prefer to keep unlimited data in fear of living in fear of overages and I wanna use my phone when I wanna use my phone.

Flying_Hellfish

Jun 25, 2010
I was not excited to hear this since I was one of the unlucky "top 5%" that was throttled on 3G as they were starting to roll out 4G and try to get heavier users to buy new phones (I was holding out for a DX at the time). I can only hope they don't cripple the connection the way they did then. When on a "congested" tower I would only get between 1 - 10kb/sec down. I couldn't do a successful speed test most of the time without it just timing out and it would cripple even the most basic functions of my "smartphone" like email.

It's been said a bunch already but, this is how they are trying to get people to get off unlimited data and pay more for less. Luckily these days I connect to WiFi at work so during the day it won't be so bad but my train commute will blow if they reduce the speeds that much.

Also, there is a mistype in the first post, it is 4.7GB of data a month, not 5.7.

Last edited:

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
They have already been throttling me. I can not even stream a youtube video without constant buffering. Been this way for awhile especially during peak hours.

streetracer8605

Sep 20, 2008
Cleveland
Actually Verizon is the last of the big 4 to do this. It was just a matter of time...

Sprint claims they don't throttle. Unlimited means unlimited access according to them. Between how much vzw has locked down their phones, ending unlimited, and now this; I'm done with them.

Edit: I guess Sprint is throttling their top 5% too. At least they still offer unlimited plans I suppose

Last edited:

amebiasis

Feb 22, 2011
Montrose, CO/ Vero Beach, FL
Sprint claims they don't throttle. Unlimited means unlimited access according to them. Between how much vzw has locked down their phones, ending unlimited, and now this; I'm done with them.

Edit: I guess Sprint is throttling their top 5% too. At least they still offer unlimited plans I suppose

Unlimited on there network! I work alot in North Dakota and Northern Alaska. Verizon has great service in those spots that's why in with them now, I had sprint and changed my prl to Verizon so I could roam on there towers and was terminated from Sprint for excessive roaming (3-5gb per month for 4 continuous months).

Reactions: Afro Samurai

Afro Samurai

Dec 8, 2008
Chicago,IL
Unlimited on there network! I work alot in North Dakota and Northern Alaska. Verizon has great service in those spots that's why in with them now, I had sprint and changed my prl to Verizon so I could roam on there towers and was terminated from Sprint for excessive roaming (3-5gb per month for 4 continuous months).

I'm an ex Sprint guy and they've been known to lay the smack down on users for excessive data usage??!!?? Excessive data usage for unlimited data.... ?

Sent by Darkseid from Apokolips

oatlord

Aug 24, 2012
I'm pretty sure the criteria they claim has to be met is bogus. There's 1 criteria for throttling, and that's if you have this unlimited plan. I am, of course, speaking from a sampling size of exactly 1 other person besides myself. This other person has been throttled yet doesn't eat up more than a gig or 2 per month.

I've been throttled, but I expected it. You tend to draw attention when you use more than 80 gigs a month, on a light month.

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
Saw an article today saying the FCC is not happy about this. What sucks is if the FCC says they can't throttle just because of the plan people have, Verizon will probably just kill the plan altogether somehow.

Edit: There are a few different ones out there. Heres one: http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/30/fcc-throttles-verizon-wireless-over-plans-to-throttle-customers/

Doubtful, 20% of Verizon customers still have unlimited data. That move would piss off a lot of customers
Sent from my SM-N900V using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

supersnackbar

Jun 8, 2014

I guess I am really really screwed. Last month I used 118gig. The FCC says that by doing this Verizon is breaking the agreement they had with them to gain access to the LTE spectrum so who knows what will happen. I know I am tired of every update Verizon OTA's sends out screwing up my phone(s)...maybe it's time for a provider switch.

Chocu1a

Sep 16, 2011
Curious myself. I renewed my unlimited contract back in November when the Note 3 came out during the so call "glitch", so I have my unlimited under contract for 2 more years.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had a cleanup here guys and I don't want to be returning for the same reasons.
    Also, I suggest some of you watch your language on XDA in future.
    Whether the filter edits your profanities or not, the intention to swear is clear and it's unacceptable. Knock it off.
    If you want to continue the discussion here, keep it on-topic and do it with a civil tongue or don't even bother posting.
    Thanks
    They pull that crap on me and I'm leaving Verizon for good.

Saw an article today saying the FCC is not happy about this. What sucks is if the FCC says they can't throttle just because of the plan people have, Verizon will probably just kill the plan altogether somehow.

Edit: There are a few different ones out there. Heres one: http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/30/fcc-throttles-verizon-wireless-over-plans-to-throttle-customers/
    Speed test on weak 4g.. Maybe just weak 4g results but I feel throttled.. Probably just in my head.. Debating on buying the note 4 off contract and keeping unlimited or thinking about the max plan other whatever if they still offer it.. Just worried I'll buy it retail and get screwed

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

I wouldn't be too concerned i do tests at that connectivity and it's miserable but when I jump up to 2 bars it skyrockets to 10MBps