[OutDated!] Working Root Method For 5.0 Lollipop Roms [OE1] [OG5] [OK3] [PB1]

7,474 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,859

By jrkruse, Recognized Contributor on 11th January 2016, 12:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
THIS IS AN OUT DATED METHOD. A MUCH EASIER METHOD CAN BE FOUND
HERE
Scroll Down To This Post#3 For Instructions

This is the main thread for rooting (and installing safestrap) on VERIZON Galaxy S5's running

OE1
OK3
OG5
PB1

If your firmware is NOT listed above, you MUST FIRST Follow the section that says "Flashing PB1", This will upgrade/downgrade depending on if you are on any other versions of Android. Yes it will downgrade from marshmallow, so don't ask.

Important Information

One of the apps in this thread "Supersu-me" Is required to complete this process, otherwise you will be stuck with the Kingroot Superuser Manager(which blocks alot of actions we need). You can buy the App here. Supersu-me Pro The new version MAY NOT WORK ANYMORE!!! If you have issues, please message the developer of the app @gatesjunior, we cannot help.

If anyone wants to make a donation make a donation to @GeTex
[email protected]

A Special Thanks To @GeTex For Mods to the root.bat and updating the old instructions
A Special Thanks Also To @be free for the new simple method

WARNINGS
This Is Very Important!!! Once Your Rooted Do Not Flash Any Firmware Zips Found In My Other Threads Unless They Specify NO_BOOTLOADERS In The File Name!
Reactivation lock MUST BE TURNED OFF!!!
Before Doing Anything Please Install The Latest Samsung Drivers SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe
YOU MUST DO THIS

General Information
This is confirmed working on BOK3 Rom with BOK3 Bootloaders, BOG5 with BOG5 Bootloaders, BPB1 with BPB1 Bootloaders and BOE1 with BOE1 Bootloaders!, that were previously unrootable! Just make sure in bottom directions you flash the kernel that matches your firmware!
These files were provided to me by @voices! the files are by CDMA YEMEN TEAM.
I provided the method and editing of files and last but not least @alnazef34 he was the first to tell me about this.
Also would like to thank @gatesjunior for making the Supersu Me app. Please goto his thread and thank him donate to him and go buy his Super-Sume Pro at the playstore and keep a copy for future.
A Special Thanks To @GeTex For Mods to the root.bat and updating the old instructions
A Special Thanks Also To @be free for the new simple method

Understanding the process
So alot of confusion has surfaced from this thread and how it works and I'd like to explain most of whats going on hopefully without error. When verizon updated the bootloader they made it impossible to downgrade the system back to Kitkat so we could abuse towelroot. Later it was found that while we cannot flash our Systems back we could flash the kernel, allowing us to run the same basic exploit via an ADB terminal remotely and install a root exploit. The end result is that we can then flash our kernel back to Lollipop and then use the exploit to allow kingroot to install it's root method, and then shortly after, we are able to use supersu me to remove kingroot and install SuperSu. Your original kernel is important but for the most part you should all do this on PB1 anyways. NI2 or NK2 are both kitkat kernels and can be used(one is included in the zip)to accomplish this process. because you clearly are not on a Kitkat system it will FREEZE while booting because it's not supposed to boot a lollipop system. So In order for root.bat to work(or root2.bat) you MUST flash a kitkat kernel(NI2 or NK2) and once it succeeds you must flash your original kernel(probably PB1)

Installing PB1
(You will lose all of your app data and apps installed, your internal storage will be fine, backup is recommended anyways
1. Download G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.zip and unzip it
2. Reboot to recovery (Power+Volume Up+Home Button) and wipe data from recovery, reboot to bootloader
3. Plug In your phone and open Odin located in the OK3_ROOT folder
3a. Make sure your phone is recognized (In the Odin Screen Under ID:COM the box under will be blue with your com port id #)
4. Click the AP button in the Odin Screen and locate and click on the G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_G900VVRU2BPB1_HOME.tar .md5 this is the file that was unziped from the G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.zip(Everything you do will be flashed via AP!!!!)
4a. This will take a few minutes for odin to load and verify MD5. When done in the odin message box it will say
Code:
 Enter CS for MD5..
 Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
 Please wait..
 G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_G900VVRU2BPB1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
 Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
 Leave CS.

5. Under options DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING (Previously I had you check NandErase but this was part of the problem with root not finishing)
6. Now click on Start
7. When finished you will get a green box that says PASS!
8. Phone will reboot automatically to recovery and finish updating then it will restart
9. When Phone has finished loading and has booted up go through setup and do not add any google accounts or samsung accounts or anything

Rooting Instructions
Please read EVERYTHING ABOVE BEFORE CONTINUING

This is the BlackCat Update, Hopefully it's better
1. Download this zip GS5_LOLLIROOT_BLACKCAT.7z
2. Unzip folder.(You need a unzip application like 7z or Winrar)
3. Open The Folder and click Bat file #1, Install APKs, plug in your phone and follow directions
All the Steps for the main rooting process are done ON THE BAT FILES, READ THEM!!!!

If the root process hangs Close the bat, unplug phone pull battery and reboot phone to recovery (VolUp+Pwr+Home). In recovery wipe cache only and reboot. If phone reboots back to recovery instead, pull battery and manually reboot. Now plug phone back in and Launch Bat #3.

IF you get into android and cannot get root, Open bat file #2 and start from there again

If your phone wont reboot, use Bat #4 and try and enter download mode manually(VolDown+Pwr+Home)

4. Open KingRoot.apk Click The Up Arrows a couple of time until you get to Try It and click Try It and that's it don click nothing else just close Kingroot. You should now have root. If It says Root not available and the bat said your were rooted Reboot Phone and open KingRoot You should now be rooted(otherwise reboot phone and check again)

5. Optional: If you Dont want to use SuperSu Me Skip To 6 and try but if it doesnt work then you will have to use SuperSume . Now open SuperSU-Me app (This app is now a paid app so setup Google Play and buy and it will remove kinguser and replace it with SuperSu. If you can't get the Paid version to work. The SuperSu Me 6.7 version worked. So you may have to hunt that one down by asking the Dev of the app) After this process SuperSu will ask to update binary click update normal

6. Copy this G900V_Fix Safestrap.zip (It may come in handy later on) to your SD Card and Internal Storage Copy Safestrap_Flashable_Kernels and Safestrap_Flashable_Firmware and anything else you want to install like the below rom

7. Now open Busybox Installer Allow KingRoot permission click on install

8. Click on Safstrap Allow KingRoot permission then click Install Safestrap after it installs reopen Safestrap and click on install again

9. Reboot phone open Safestrap app and Click Reboot To Recovery. If during this process you every get stuck on samsung screen.
Pull battery reboot phone to bootloader (VolDwn+Pwr+Home) Plug phone into computer open Odin In the AP Slot Flash VZW_BPB1_KERNEL_ONLY.tar.md5 Located in the LOLLIROOT Folder

10. Install This zip Knox_Removal_SU_BB_INIT.D.zip If you dont want a custom rom your done!

11. If you want to flash a custom rom make a backup In safestrap. Then in safestrap Click Wipe then Click Advanced Wipe Then Wipe System,Wipe Data,Wipe Cache Then Install any rom of your choosing as long as it is a Verizon S5 TocuchWiz Based Rom CM builds will not work! If you want you can try this it is stable. If for some reason you get an error flashing zips install this zip G900V_Fix Safestrap.zip in safestrap then you will be able to install roms. That zip wipes system and formats it so you will need to install a rom or backup before leaving safestrap
VZW_BPB1_ODEX_DEODEX_V8.zip This is a fully stock rom just like you had except it is Pre Rooted Knox free Deodexed with Tethering Fix, SDWrite Fix. Other than that all the bloat is still there but now your rooted you can remove it or flash different rom whatever

12. After flashing any rom I would head over to my Safestrap Thread and flash the latest version of Safestrap

Extra Information
Extra Information

If you soft brick your device and you made a backup in safe strap, flashing the NK2 kernel will get you back into safestrap, allowing you to restore your backup

THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK YOUR BOOT LOADER!!! To Unlock the bootloader look at the Sticky in the Development Forum. You cannot flash anything through the stock recovery. Do not try to, you will softbrick!

If you try and flash a rom or anything else, make a backup first, it saves many headaches.

If you cannot flash roms with the error "set_metadata_recursive failed" or something, you likely need to start from scratch BUT with the S5 PIT file(matching your size, there's a 16GB pitfile floating somewhere)

Realize your phone warranty is likely gone after doing this, should anything arise, you can try and get to download mode and flash the stock image again and it may go back to normal status but we cannot encourage fraudulent warranties, no matter how pathetic Samsung's policies are.
The Following 143 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 12:21 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
If something goes wrong! Here is the Factory Tar BPB1 Full Restore Image.
G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.zip

Here are the new safestrap flashable firmware zips with no bootloaders these are safe to flash on all versions of bootloaders
BOC4_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip
BOD5_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip
BOE1_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip
BOG5_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip
BOK3_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip
BPB1_Firmware_No_Bootloaders.zip

Here are the new safestrap flashable kernel zips these are safe to flash on all versions of bootloaders
G900V_OC4_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
G900V_OD5_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
G900V_OE1_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
G900V_OG5_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
G900V_OK3_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
G900V_PB1_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 12:47 AM |#3  
Monroe, MI
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Wow ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopstix9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chopstix9 Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 12:49 AM |#4  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix9

Wow ...

Edit: Its confirmed Working!!
Need some testers to confirm!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 01:18 AM |#5  
Monroe, MI
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkruse

Need some testers to confirm!

No disrespect intended but I am not going to flash up to stock locked from where I am to test it !! Come on people !!! If you have a locked phone and want root, here's your chance to contribute to a potential major break through on our phones ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Chopstix9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chopstix9 Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 01:26 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix9

No disrespect intended but I am not going to flash up to stock locked from where I am to test it !! Come on people !!! If you have a locked phone and want root, here's your chance to contribute to a potential major break through on our phones ...

Edit: Confirmed Working!!
Notice I didn't either, but it should work since all you have to do is flash the NI2 kernel which you can still do on the oe1.og5 and ok3 firmwares. They just wouldn't let you flash the ncg system.img
The Following User Says Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 02:30 AM |#8  
Boston
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Yes it works. However my unknown mistake after achieving root with my bok phone was that I immediately installed titanium backup and a message came up saying something about an unauthorized action. My phone rebooted and now says start up failed . Use the verizon softwair repair assistant on a computer to repair your device. Of course this is impossible. I suppose if I had installed busybox and safestap first and placed a rom on the phone I would have been ok. Fortunately the phone was a spare but I'm still not happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to rnh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rnh Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 02:34 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnh

Yes it works. However my unknown mistake after achieving root with bok was that I immediately installed titanium backup and a message came up saying something about an unauthorized action. My phone rebooted and now says start up failed . Use the verizon softwair repair assistant on a computer to repair your device. Of course this is impossible. I suppose if I had installed busybox and safestap first and placed a rom on the phone I would have been ok. Fortunately the phone was a spare but I'm still not happy.

Flash the BOK3 kernel it should boot
If it doesnt, Here is the Odin Factory tar image just flash in odin G900VVRU2BOK3_G900VVZW2BOK3_VZW.zip. This does not have the BOD5 bootloaders so it will flash fine for you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 02:52 AM |#10  
Boston
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thank you JK. How you stay up with all of these threads impresses me. Flashing the bok3 kernel worked. Now to continue I should install the bb and ss because apparently using the phone just rooted with rooted apps won't work?
Also, in the process of rooting as advice to anyone who wants to do it; when using the bat program, I found if it doesn't work right away close it then reopen it and it starts right away.
With titanium backup still installed the unauthorized app messge remained so I uninstalled tb and rebooted the phone with no problem
The Following User Says Thank You to rnh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rnh Ad-Free
11th January 2016, 03:07 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnh

Thank you JK. How you stay up with all of these threads impresses me. Flashing the bok3 kernel worked. Now to continue I should install the bb and ss because apparently using the phone just rooted with rooted apps won't work?
Also, in the process of rooting as advice to anyone who wants to do it; when using the bat program, I found if it doesn't work right away close it then reopen it and it starts right away.
With titanium backup still installed the unauthorized app messge remained so I uninstalled tb and rebooted the phone with no problem

I added the apk above that will work with lollipop
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)