New Update - QL1

Search This thread

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Is there any way to get Magisk to properly work with this bootloader friendly stock rom? The kernal is showing 3.4.0 and from what I've randomly read in some thread it needs to be on 3.8+ to function properly. Right now Magisk is flashed and manager is working/I have root but the hide feature does not work and almost every module refuses to flash (magisk_merge.img mount failed error every time). I am trying to get the PNC banking app to work but it detects root and shuts down.
Phone is a 900V.05 on U2DQL1 w/unlocked boatloader w/TWRP recovery installed.

The magisk error log is:
- Mounting /data/adb/magisk_merge.img to /dev/tmp/magisk_img
Cannot mount image!
! /data/adb/magisk_merge.img mount failed...
Failed!
! Installation failed

Is there any way to get Magisk to properly work with this bootloader friendly stock rom?...
I personally don't use Magisk but, the following thread may be helpful with some information regarding Magisk on the G900V device.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3711017

The following is the Official General Q&A Magisk thread if you require some member guidance and support.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3432382

If needed, you can always try to obtain some member guidance within the following Q&A thread that's specific to the S5 and Variants.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2700073

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I personally don't use Magisk but, the following thread may be helpful with some information regarding Magisk on the G900V device.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3711017

The following is the Official General Q&A Magisk thread if you require some member guidance and support.

If needed, you can always try to obtain some member guidance within the following Q&A thread that's specific to the S5 and Variants.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2700073

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

I switched to a different rom altogether and the problem went away.

Looking for some help how to update without root. I'm on stock and the OTA download keeps failing to properly flash. Are there instructions on how use this file to update stock rom in odin without gaining root?
For the G900V device, the OP of the following thread has the information on how to use Odin to flash the firmware (as well as providing the Stock Firmware and, if needed, the Pit files as well).

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3757416

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BigBird9906

Aug 5, 2016
Bethesda, MD
I finally got around to doing this. Thanks, Silent Patriot, for putting it out there. I have rooted a couple of phones but never updated them once rooted. Probably a lazy bad habit and I'll get on that more regularly.

I did a little learning by braille as I went along. I was surprised when it came back to life after flashing the ROM and TWRP via Odin that all my old apps were there because all my prior work was wiping things clean, but I get it now. I left it alone for a bit, did NOT do the factory reset before updating Magisk, because I had to hit the road. I will come back to it later for a clean install if I it seems to need it or if I get super motivated. Several things that were working poorly on my old QB2 ROM are better now.

My current guess is that with TWRP and Magisk / Magisk Manager, this no longer needs the other heavy duty stuff I picked up along the way (see my Post #10 for details) like SuperSU and FlashFire. I have uninstalled those. I'm not sure about BusyBox, the app shows in the app list but it and the Root Checker say it is not installed. Should it be?

I'm still trying to find a good way to backup and move from phone to phone, or from old phone to reset clean same old phone. Titanium Backup cautions it prefers SuperSU over Magisk, and I guess there are other finicky things with it that suggest you're better off doing the hard work of just reinstalling everything, +/- now Google Play is a bit better at saving settings. Any tips there?

Anyway, back to the main point, thanks again Silent Patriot. On this very patriotic day.

BigBird9906

Aug 5, 2016
Bethesda, MD
FYI:
- I'm having no joy getting this to work with latest Magisk Manager 5.8.0 which opens to its splash screen and becomes unresponsive. I tried many times, went back and factory reset, uninstall and reinstall MM, etc. No joy.
- I seem to be OK using Magisk Manager 5.6.3 and Magisk 16.0

fiodorpugach

Apr 4, 2013
Nashua
FYI:
- I'm having no joy getting this to work with latest Magisk Manager 5.8.0 which opens to its splash screen and becomes unresponsive. I tried many times, went back and factory reset, uninstall and reinstall MM, etc. No joy.
I had the same trouble. I upgraded Magisk Manager to 5.8.0, and then I had to do factory reset and reinstall Magisk Manager 5.6.3. Half day was lost! Magisk Manager 5.8.0 is BAD and wont work on that setup.

FYI:
I had the same trouble. I upgraded Magisk Manager to 5.8.0, and then I had to do factory reset and reinstall Magisk Manager 5.6.3. Half day was lost! Magisk Manager 5.8.0 is BAD and wont work on that setup.
There's many devices where the individuals are forced to use something that was previously released due to certain circumstances like this device with a Locked Bootloader and an Older TW Firmware ROM.

Just to let you know...

The following is the Magisk General Q&A thread to, hopefully, obtain some member guidance and support for issues specific to or related to Magisk itself.

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BigBird9906

Aug 5, 2016
Bethesda, MD
Thanks for the pointer @Ibuprophen. I've been surfing a bunch of the Magisk info, had not found the motherlode, and was even contemplating uninstalling all and unrooting. I tried the Magisk Manager roll back just on spec.

BTW, unlocked bootloader in my case. Latest TWRP, latest Magisk, and QL1 per OP's post here.

I can see there is a lot more to do there in those Magsk resources if I am going to get the residual SuperSU toothpaste back into the tube and pass SafetyNet.
@fiodorpugach and I were grabbing Jello back in posts 10 and 11 here about the best way to move stuff across devices. A few pleasant surprises on the new Android functionality there via Google backup, but some gaps, too. I think I'll live with the gaps, manually backfill, and do a little selective Titanium Back restore rather than try a broad brush TB restore all and go dorking something else up.

Bloatware Without Root

Question 2: You would, ultimately, like to just debloat the Firmware?
Answer 2: Debloating Stock Firmware only requires root and not an unlocked bootloader.

Not quite true. I've used this method successfully many times. As always, make a backup first and use caution. If ever unsure about whether or not to delete something...DON'T. Disable it instead.
dub-dub-dub. xda-developers. site/ uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also received the software update notification. Now hoping someone will be able to make the bootloader friendly/no aboot version to flash...

Been a while since I've been to this section of the forums but I'm already uploading a Dev Friendly version and the untouched one right now.

EDIT:
    @Silent Patriot
    Feel free to add this to the OP.

Stock No-Wipe Firmware:
    *This will remove Developer Status/Lock your Bootloader*
    G900VVRU2DQL1_G900VVZW2DQL1_G900VVRU2DQL1_HOME.tar.md5.zip

Developer Bootloader Friendly/No Aboot No-Wipe Firmware:
    G900VVRU2DQL1_G900VVZW2DQL1_G900VVRU2DQL1_HOME_No_Aboot.tar.md5.zip
    Still says 2017-08-01 security patch, but now with Blueborne and Krack patched as well.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/galaxy-s5-update/

Stock No-Wipe Firmware:
    *This will remove Developer Status/Lock your Bootloader*
    G900VVRU2DQL1_G900VVZW2DQL1_G900VVRU2DQL1_HOME.tar .md5.zip

Developer Bootloader Friendly/No Aboot No-Wipe Firmware:
    G900VVRU2DQL1_G900VVZW2DQL1_G900VVRU2DQL1_HOME_No_ Aboot.tar.md5.zip
    So, if I have an unlocked bootloader, will it stay unlocked if I flash the boot from the "Developer Bootloader Friendly/No Aboot No-Wipe Firmware" version? Will it upgrade the baseband to the latest version as well?
    If your looking for the Baseband Modem Firmware, the following link has them all for the G900V and won't affect what you have (i use them on my Unlocked G900V to update the Modem Baseband Firmware and I've got TWRP and LineageOS).

[BASEBAND-FIRMWARE-MODEMS]Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 {SM-G900V/KLTEVZW}[ODIN] by Ibuprophen

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    @Nerva, I apologize for the delay but, I'm curious to know where, why and what gave you the impression that you were/was required, on your your working device, to update your devices bootloader???

I'm just perplexed about this... :confused:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I went back and tried to find where I read it, and at the very least it was in this...
    Your situation prompted me to confirm what I knew and others that you can see on the recent posts on the following thread...

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2259645

... I just wanted to state that if your devices bootloader was already unlocked and the device wasn't bricked (or similar) then you should not need to update the bootloader or it'll lock it up again and, potentially, can even cause FRP issues as well. Luckily your FRP didn't trip and the device was able to be unlocked again.

I have the same device that was unlocked a long time ago and never ever needed its bootloader updated.

Your question regarding the Baseband Modem Updates...

Those are the Modem files extracted from the stock Firmware and only updates the devices Modem. That controls the WiFi, Carrier Data, etc...

This is similar to updating the Drivers for something specific on a PC (like the PC LAN, WiFi, Video Card, etc... ).

When you had flashed what you did on your device, you basically flashed an optimized version of the Stock Firmware. This is why you saw the Samsung Boot Screen.

I hope that I had explained this okay via text... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~