FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor CEO Thread

Battery Swelling?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By blu04, Junior Member on 9th June 2015, 09:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just purchased my S6 about 2 months ago and today noticed it was coming apart due to the possibility of the battery swelling. I really haven't seen any other problems like this with the S6. Was curious if anyone has had an issue. Gotta call the store when I get off work and see what they say. I attached a few pics to show the swelling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpeg
Views:	3134
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	3355747   Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpeg
Views:	3154
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	3355748   Click image for larger version

Name:	90.jpeg
Views:	3116
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	3355749  
 
 
10th June 2015, 05:05 AM |#2  
hopesrequiem's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,164
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu04

I just purchased my S6 about 2 months ago and today noticed it was coming apart due to the possibility of the battery swelling. I really haven't seen any other problems like this with the S6. Was curious if anyone has had an issue. Gotta call the store when I get off work and see what they say. I attached a few pics to show the swelling.

Just wondering which charging method you have used primarily? This is a scary looking issue my friend

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk 2
10th June 2015, 04:23 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Richland
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I used the fast charger that came with the phone or my other samsung charger. Majority of the time it was the fast charger though. Took it to the Verizon store last night and should have a new phone when I get home tonight from work.
10th June 2015, 07:28 PM |#4  
hopesrequiem's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,164
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu04

I used the fast charger that came with the phone or my other samsung charger. Majority of the time it was the fast charger though. Took it to the Verizon store last night and should have a new phone when I get home tonight from work.

Hmmmm might stick to the wireless charger now lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk 2
29th July 2015, 03:37 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
What happened at store??
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu04

i used the fast charger that came with the phone or my other samsung charger. Majority of the time it was the fast charger though. Took it to the verizon store last night and should have a new phone when i get home tonight from work.

my phone started swelling and when i took it to my verizon store they said i would have to go through my insurance and pay $200.00 to get a new phone.
29th July 2015, 04:56 PM |#6  
brholt6's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 439
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug114

my phone started swelling and when i took it to my verizon store they said i would have to go through my insurance and pay $200.00 to get a new phone.

I'd tell them to suck a fat one, then either get on Verizon chat or Samsung support to get a better solution.
29th July 2015, 06:18 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu04

I just purchased my S6 about 2 months ago and today noticed it was coming apart due to the possibility of the battery swelling. I really haven't seen any other problems like this with the S6. Was curious if anyone has had an issue. Gotta call the store when I get off work and see what they say. I attached a few pics to show the swelling.

It's not the battery swelling, its just the adhesive unsticking. I've heard reports of this before, apparently it happened with some early S6 models.
6th August 2015, 05:08 AM |#8  
N1ghtr08d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Ok, so I have one of the earlier releases and I was having the same thing, until today. Today I realized that my battery was swelling up..... Very quickly. It got so bad that I decided to replace the battery. My buddy has a barely used s6 so I decided to use is battery on my phone.
Once I followed the ifixit teardown and got to the battery I noticed that the battery wasn't swollen, but the foil wrapper on the battery had air trapped between the foil and the battery. Now, when air hearts up, what does it do....? It expands!!! All I had to do was make a few small careful cuts on both sides of the battery foil, press out the air, then reassemble the phone.
Now it's working flawlessly and no more swelling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to N1ghtr08d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N1ghtr08d Ad-Free
20th August 2015, 06:16 PM |#9  
Snowby123's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 217
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predtechhacker

Ok, so I have one of the earlier releases and I was having the same thing, until today. Today I realized that my battery was swelling up..... Very quickly. It got so bad that I decided to replace the battery. My buddy has a barely used s6 so I decided to use is battery on my phone.
Once I followed the ifixit teardown and got to the battery I noticed that the battery wasn't swollen, but the foil wrapper on the battery had air trapped between the foil and the battery. Now, when air hearts up, what does it do....? It expands!!! All I had to do was make a few small careful cuts on both sides of the battery foil, press out the air, then reassemble the phone.
Now it's working flawlessly and no more swelling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using XDA Free mobile app

You voided your warranty by doing that. Kinda sad.
9th March 2018, 12:12 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtr08d

Ok, so I have one of the earlier releases and I was having the same thing, until today. Today I realized that my battery was swelling up..... Very quickly. It got so bad that I decided to replace the battery. My buddy has a barely used s6 so I decided to use is battery on my phone.
Once I followed the ifixit teardown and got to the battery I noticed that the battery wasn't swollen, but the foil wrapper on the battery had air trapped between the foil and the battery. Now, when air hearts up, what does it do....? It expands!!! All I had to do was make a few small careful cuts on both sides of the battery foil, press out the air, then reassemble the phone.
Now it's working flawlessly and no more swelling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using XDA Free mobile app

Old thread I realize but this was the problem I found with a device recently purchased (10 bucks) out of a local pawn shop junk drawer I frequent. Poked a hole ... charges up. Now I'm just wondering why it happened in the first place.
18th March 2018, 08:43 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
This fixed it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtr08d

Ok, so I have one of the earlier releases and I was having the same thing, until today. Today I realized that my battery was swelling up..... Very quickly. It got so bad that I decided to replace the battery. My buddy has a barely used s6 so I decided to use is battery on my phone.
Once I followed the ifixit teardown and got to the battery I noticed that the battery wasn't swollen, but the foil wrapper on the battery had air trapped between the foil and the battery. Now, when air hearts up, what does it do....? It expands!!! All I had to do was make a few small careful cuts on both sides of the battery foil, press out the air, then reassemble the phone.
Now it's working flawlessly and no more swelling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using XDA Free mobile app

I had the same issue pop up and I stuck a needle thru the little slit it made while swollen and pierced the foil wrapper around the battery and "pssssss" I heard the air leave and saw the swelling subside. Tadaa well for anyone else that does not want to tear the phone apart cutting holes or replacing batteries; replacing phones. There is a method you can use.[COLOR="Silver"]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes