[update] Finalllly !!!!! Root Nougat S6 Verizon

Search This thread

Arethmetik

May 2, 2017
i think i know why it freezes

I was doing a research and found this thread with the same problem as us ,seems like its knox that blocking the system remount.https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s6/general/root-att-samsung-g920a-s6-g925a-s7edge-t3564637

i think it freezes because the bootloader is still locked. maybe faw_wal was able to unlock the bootloader by flashing something. im not too sure but i read it on here https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s6...25a-s7edge-t3564637/post73484691#post73484691
its the first one

DDwhite

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have the same exact kernel version as @faw_wal ?? I recently flash the stock Qd1 and then the engineering root , but my kernel is 3.10.61 -eng

AndroidFan16

Dec 2, 2012
I even tried that via ADB, remounting system as rw will freeze the phone.

I'm not too sure about flashing a QD1 firmware because I flashed the firmware and it shrinked my storage space partition to 16gb and I have a 128gb version.

The system RW remount issue is in the Q&A thread. So that's why I am picky of this root method.

AndroidFan16

Dec 2, 2012
Reactions: NerdTronik

DDwhite

Oct 26, 2017
This root method will not work on ANY baseband

He must've did it with this method WITHOUT the CB modem and CVC on https://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s6/general/g920vvrs4dqd1-odin-nougat-7-0-firmware-t3597007 while flashing the firmware

I've tried it and downgraded myself to QD1, but I still couldn't get it to remount the system as r/w. And if I flash without CB and CVC, I couldn't call anybody. So this root method is 50/50 a joke tbh
That would explain why he had airplane mode active.. Guest we got to stick with only shell root.. Until someone finally unlock the bootloader(maybe never).. This issue has me sick, damn u verizon :mad:...

NerdTronik

Dec 12, 2014

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171202-125645.png
    Screenshot_20171202-125645.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 884

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
My questions from the vid...

About 1:00, you're using a different version of Odin than you've linked to and different versions (or simply renamed versions?) of the ROM. There is no MD5 check done by Odin. Does any of this matter? (I'm new to Odin so this all may be irrelevant and just something I'm not familiar with... both the Nougat ROM and the later engineering kernel do flash without errors for me.)

About 5:40, you say you are doing these steps because you need to bypass Samsung account activation? The steps shown are launching settings and triggering a factory reset, which then you are prompted for a Samsung login, and then you set up WiFi for it to authenticate, followed by returning to the factory reset prompt and issuing a reboot. Was a wipe actually done? In the 7:20ish sped up section where you step through the wizard, I noticed that you never got prompted for the Samsung account. Is this because you entered it previously (in the wipe prompt, without actually wiping) so you weren't prompted for it here? If you know the account from earlier why not just enter (or skip it) here? I don't know if this matters in getting root but I don't understand the logic of these steps.

Nowhere in the video did we ever see anything about enabling USB debugging in developer options. Is this a setting that gets stored between factory resets? (Even though we didn't see any reset occur in the vid)

I'm still getting stuck in the first mount command of the script. Something is still blocking that from being allowed. Or maybe instead something else is happening? I would have expected if the command isn't authorized that it would have been rejected instead of just both hanging in adb and hanging the phone.

Finally, your first screenshot is from a screen titled "Software Info". I don't have such a screen on my phone, all this data is in the primary "About Phone" screen. Additionally my "About Phone" screen has a different list of items. All the versions listed in your screens match what I've got, with the exception someone else had mentioned that the changelist version number is missing from the kernel version section. (3.10.61-eng versus 3.10.61-10981169-eng)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

...a question for you, it's completely necessary to have win 7?
I would doubt it. So long as drivers, Odin, and ADB work in your version of the OS I can't see why the OS would be dependent on this working.

But for the record, I am trying this on Win7 Pro and having problems, but it is the phone ignoring/rejecting/locking on the ADB command to remount /system in rw. (mount -o rw,remount /system)

faw_wal

Feb 11, 2015
Damascus
My questions from the vid...

About 1:00, you're using a different version of Odin than you've linked to and different versions (or simply renamed versions?) of the ROM. There is no MD5 check done by Odin. Does any of this matter? (I'm new to Odin so this all may be irrelevant and just something I'm not familiar with... both the Nougat ROM and the later engineering kernel do flash without errors for me.)

About 5:40, you say you are doing these steps because you need to bypass Samsung account activation? The steps shown are launching settings and triggering a factory reset, which then you are prompted for a Samsung login, and then you set up WiFi for it to authenticate, followed by returning to the factory reset prompt and issuing a reboot. Was a wipe actually done? In the 7:20ish sped up section where you step through the wizard, I noticed that you never got prompted for the Samsung account. Is this because you entered it previously (in the wipe prompt, without actually wiping) so you weren't prompted for it here? If you know the account from earlier why not just enter (or skip it) here? I don't know if this matters in getting root but I don't understand the logic of these steps.

Nowhere in the video did we ever see anything about enabling USB debugging in developer options. Is this a setting that gets stored between factory resets? (Even though we didn't see any reset occur in the vid)

I'm still getting stuck in the first mount command of the script. Something is still blocking that from being allowed. Or maybe instead something else is happening? I would have expected if the command isn't authorized that it would have been rejected instead of just both hanging in adb and hanging the phone.

Finally, your first screenshot is from a screen titled "Software Info". I don't have such a screen on my phone, all this data is in the primary "About Phone" screen. Additionally my "About Phone" screen has a different list of items. All the versions listed in your screens match what I've got, with the exception someone else had mentioned that the changelist version number is missing from the kernel version section. (3.10.61-eng versus 3.10.61-10981169-eng)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I would doubt it. So long as drivers, Odin, and ADB work in your version of the OS I can't see why the OS would be dependent on this working.

But for the record, I am trying this on Win7 Pro and having problems, but it is the phone ignoring/rejecting/locking on the ADB command to remount /system in rw. (mount -o rw,remount /system)

I'm using the same version of odin it's just renamed yes there isn no md5 check done with odin because i previous check from the rom if you install a new rom you have to check md5 if success you can remove check md5 to don't waste your time or maybe my laptop isn't too strong so it's take a very long time to check md5
and about 5:40 this is samsung reactivation bypass no it's not actually wipe but if you go to account and try to add a new samsung account you can't do it but there is bug you can add a different samsung account in factory reset option and when show signed in do a reboot now it's bypassed samsung account yes when i speed it's not show samsung account requierd because i input samsung account so when he get to show up he look that's he already signed in to samsung account and i don't know the account the bug is that's you have to create new samsung account from account.samsung.com and sign in with factory reset option if you noticed i can't do wipe because it's now the original samsung account it's not matter to root method but for me i can't skip setup wizard without bypass it and every time i wipe or install new rom i have to bypass it because i can't set reactivation lock to off

no when you flash engenering boot image it's already activate usb debugging

kernel version it will be like this 3.10.61-eng versus 3.10.61-10981169-eng when you flash the engenring boot image can you tell me what is your baseband verison and did the same of my rom version

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
Some of my responses/follow up questions aren't necessarily related to the root exploit. Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread in trying to better understand this process...

I'm using the same version of odin it's just renamed
No, you're not unless it is renamed within the binary itself. In your video it is showing titled Odin3 v3.11 but the one you link to download runs as Odin3 v3.12. There are also differences in the banner image. Either way, I don't think this matters as the ROMs still get written. But to confirm, I'm not changing the default options in Odin. The only ones checked are "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time".

yes there isn no md5 check done with odin because i previous check from the rom
Understood, thank you. I just did some testing and confirmed that if you remove the MD5 as the file extension (or simply add .tar on the end) that Odin skips the MD5 check. Learned something new!

and about 5:40 this is samsung reactivation bypass...(snip)
Still trying to figure this out. If I pull up the settings the same way you do and request a factory reset there is no prompt for a Samsung account... it just resets. Is there something that if a Samsung account was previously set up this is what causes the prompt? If I go through the wizard the normal way when I get prompted for a Samsung account I can just use the skip option. Prior to me owning the phone I'm testing with I'm unsure if a Samsung account was ever used on it. Not sure if this may have anything to do with making the exploit work.

no when you flash engenering boot image it's already activate usb debugging
I've done some testing to try and verify this. It sure seems to me that the USB debugging setting is something that survives flashes/resets. If I turn it off and install the engineering kernel the debugging is still off. So while turning it on was omitted in your video, I would advise you keep it in the instructions.

kernel version it will be like this 3.10.61-eng versus 3.10.61-10981169-eng when you flash the engenring boot image can you tell me what is your baseband verison and did the same of my rom version
Not quite sure what you're asking for, or if it is even a question. (I'm guessing English isn't your first language. Not criticism, I only know the English language so if you know multiple languages then you are doing better than me.) The baseband version on my phone is G920VVRS4DQD1. If you need more let me know.

I'm still pounding on this trying to figure out what is different for you that is holding up the rest of us. One thing I did stumble on is that I finally got the ADB fingerprint confirmation that you mentioned in your first post, I hadn't seen that prior. Thought maybe that was going to lead to a breakthrough but unfortunately I'm still stuck on that mount command. Haven't done testing to see if the approved fingerprint gets saved through factory resets, my guess would be it doesn't. Probably wrapping this up for tonight but should have some time to try again tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

when i run the bat it freezes the says device not found on cmd
I'd suggest doing what @faw_wal does. Have a command prompt open in the path where the root.bat file exists. Issue the command "adb devices" and confirm your device shows up. If it only says "List of devices attached" and nothing else then your phone isn't being seen. You either need to make sure USB debugging is turned on, make sure you've got working drivers installed, or there is something else you're missing. You may also need to acknowledge a message on your phone that allows your computer to connect.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

@faw_wal, prior to you doing this on your device had you ever run a later ROM than DQD1? I'm wondering if there might be anything that could block this (blown efuse, etc.) if a later ROM had ever been loaded. Not sure if such even exists on these phones, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Shaden Stewart

Nov 26, 2014
Some of my responses/follow up questions aren't necessarily related to the root exploit. Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread in trying to better understand this process...

No, you're not unless it is renamed within the binary itself. In your video it is showing titled Odin3 v3.11 but the one you link to download runs as Odin3 v3.12. There are also differences in the banner image. Either way, I don't think this matters as the ROMs still get written. But to confirm, I'm not changing the default options in Odin. The only ones checked are "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time".

Understood, thank you. I just did some testing and confirmed that if you remove the MD5 as the file extension (or simply add .tar on the end) that Odin skips the MD5 check. Learned something new!

Still trying to figure this out. If I pull up the settings the same way you do and request a factory reset there is no prompt for a Samsung account... it just resets. Is there something that if a Samsung account was previously set up this is what causes the prompt? If I go through the wizard the normal way when I get prompted for a Samsung account I can just use the skip option. Prior to me owning the phone I'm testing with I'm unsure if a Samsung account was ever used on it. Not sure if this may have anything to do with making the exploit work.

I've done some testing to try and verify this. It sure seems to me that the USB debugging setting is something that survives flashes/resets. If I turn it off and install the engineering kernel the debugging is still off. So while turning it on was omitted in your video, I would advise you keep it in the instructions.

Not quite sure what you're asking for, or if it is even a question. (I'm guessing English isn't your first language. Not criticism, I only know the English language so if you know multiple languages then you are doing better than me.) The baseband version on my phone is G920VVRS4DQD1. If you need more let me know.

I'm still pounding on this trying to figure out what is different for you that is holding up the rest of us. One thing I did stumble on is that I finally got the ADB fingerprint confirmation that you mentioned in your first post, I hadn't seen that prior. Thought maybe that was going to lead to a breakthrough but unfortunately I'm still stuck on that mount command. Haven't done testing to see if the approved fingerprint gets saved through factory resets, my guess would be it doesn't. Probably wrapping this up for tonight but should have some time to try again tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I'd suggest doing what @faw_wal does. Have a command prompt open in the path where the root.bat file exists. Issue the command "adb devices" and confirm your device shows up. If it only says "List of devices attached" and nothing else then your phone isn't being seen. You either need to make sure USB debugging is turned on, make sure you've got working drivers installed, or there is something else you're missing. You may also need to acknowledge a message on your phone that allows your computer to connect.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

@faw_wal, prior to you doing this on your device had you ever run a later ROM than DQD1? I'm wondering if there might be anything that could block this (blown efuse, etc.) if a later ROM had ever been loaded. Not sure if such even exists on these phones, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Yeah ive had the latest one and adb shows that my phone is connected

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

C:\Users\emily\Desktop\New folder>adb wait-for-device

C:\Users\emily\Desktop\New folder>adb shell mount -o rw,remount /system
the root.bat freezes on this, then when it tries to install anything it says device not found and the phone restarts

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
C:\Users\emily\Desktop\New folder>adb shell mount -o rw,remount /system
the root.bat freezes on this, then when it tries to install anything it says device not found and the phone restarts
Yeah, I think this is where we are all getting stuck. It is definitely where things fall apart for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally I Get Root On S6 Verizon with nougat :laugh: :laugh:

Edit For those didn't work with them use this
    https://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s6/general/rom-offical-nougat-pre-rooted-rom-t3718155

There Is a Proof In Attachments :p
    My Rom DQD1
    *Do It AT YOUR OWN RISK!* I am not responsible for ANY damage to your device
    Edit :
    A Video Proof And How To Do
    In Description Of Video I add link to my rom
    To Root You Will Need The Following Files :
    G920V_ENG_ROOT_B4_ 7.0 , Root Files and Odin In The Attachments
    First Extract G920V_ENG_ROOT_B4_ 7.zip
    Flash G920V_ENG_ROOT_B4_ 7.0.tar with odin in AP
    After Reboot make Sure You enabled usb debugging go to Settings and tap on About Phone. Tab Software Info Find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable Developer Options.
    Now enter Developer Options and find USB Debugging. Enable it
    Plug Your Device To Pc
    Now Extract S6Root_Unroot_SU_2_79.zip
    Plug your phone into the computer
    Enter The Folder S6Root_Unroot_SU_2_79 And Double Click On root.bat
    If this is your first time running ADB, you will see a prompt on your phone asking you to authorize a connection with the computer. Grant it.
    IMG_20170711_144853-300x176.jpg

wait for minute your phone will reboot automatically
    Your Phone Will reboot 2 time on 3 will boot
    Every Time You will reboot your device it will reboot 2 time on 3 will boot because we have loocked bootloader :eek:
    Dont Forget To hit Thanks Button
    sorry For My Bad English
    where is the proofs?

Dude.... and, where is the proofs? Wich nougat version did you use? Some screenshot? I dont know but a root for this phone sounds really amazing and surprising.
    Dude.... and, where is the proofs? Wich nougat version did you use? Some screenshot? I dont know but a root for this phone sounds really amazing and surprising.
    I Added Proof In Attachments Check them
    Ok, I have a problem with the adb, I tried many times but it still freezing and my cellphone screen too, I searched in the internet many ways to mount the system partition as read and write but all failed. Im thinking that the problem is the nougat version, I have the J1 and Im downloading the D1. Pst, the drivers and the cables are ok, I used another adb codes and they worked.
    open
    This root method will not work on ANY baseband

He must've did it with this method WITHOUT the CB modem and CVC on https://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s6/general/g920vvrs4dqd1-odin-nougat-7-0-firmware-t3597007 while flashing the firmware

I've tried it and downgraded myself to QD1, but I still couldn't get it to remount the system as r/w. And if I flash without CB and CVC, I couldn't call anybody. So this root method is 50/50 a joke tbh