Update sm-g920v (vzw) that is now sm-s906l (st)

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

Post Reply Email Thread
I have an SM-S906L. It was made for Verizon as SM-G920v and sold to straight talk who then turned it into the hodge podge. I want to root, I also want to update from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1 or 6.0 preferably. Also my LTE has stopeed working and I dont know how to fix or do any of this. I am a newbie at all of this. The more I research and learn the more confused I become! I think my brains binary just needs an update. Or maybe someone could say that key phrase and it will all click. I dont have access to a PC for several more weeks. But with the similarity between a PC and the S6 I dont understand why I cant use itself to do the things I need. Maybe thats obviously not possible nd I just dont understand lol HELPPP!
17th May 2016, 11:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoggMcSquishy86

I have an SM-S906L. It was made for Verizon as SM-G920v and sold to straight talk who then turned it into the hodge podge. I want to root, I also want to update from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1 or 6.0 preferably. Also my LTE has stopeed working and I dont know how to fix or do any of this. I am a newbie at all of this. The more I research and learn the more confused I become! I think my brains binary just needs an update. Or maybe someone could say that key phrase and it will all click. I dont have access to a PC for several more weeks. But with the similarity between a PC and the S6 I dont understand why I cant use itself to do the things I need. Maybe thats obviously not possible nd I just dont understand lol HELPPP!

Are you still having issues? Are you currently rooted? Do you know how to unlock service menu? You can select different lte bands there and see if that fixes your lte issue as long as your rooted. . I'm pretty sure since OF1 (5.0.2) build there are no root exploits after that.
18th May 2016, 12:00 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Tullahoma

Donate to Me
More
Thank you
I am not rooted, i was hoping someone could walk me through it. I have a computer now and wanted to try odin. But I don't know how. I tried ping pong but it said it didn't have my specs and to try back, or maybe I didn't it wrong lol and yes it is a sm-s906l but when I bought the phone it said sm-s906lzkatfn on tracfone website to register. and when I go to straighttalk it says sm-s906ludu1a0g8 and when Samsung sent an email to register it says it's a sm-s906ltfn1aog8 so I'm seriously confused, several apps say it is actually the last one. Google websites say it's an s5 G900f
18th May 2016, 07:04 PM |#4  
Flag Beatrice
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

I am not rooted, i was hoping someone could walk me through it. I have a computer now and wanted to try odin. But I don't know how. I tried ping pong but it said it didn't have my specs and to try back, or maybe I didn't it wrong lol and yes it is a sm-s906l but when I bought the phone it said sm-s906lzkatfn on tracfone website to register. and when I go to straighttalk it says sm-s906ludu1a0g8 and when Samsung sent an email to register it says it's a sm-s906ltfn1aog8 so I'm seriously confused, several apps say it is actually the last one. Google websites say it's an s5 G900f

Ok so is this a 906 or a 920? Confusion from the 90 different model numbers.
18th May 2016, 10:16 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Tullahoma

Donate to Me
More
I'm gonna say 906 bcuz that's what the phone says
18th May 2016, 11:07 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Tullahoma

Donate to Me
More
screen shots
9th June 2016, 06:48 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Tullahoma

Donate to Me
More
I'm rooted now, and I can activate my LTE but when it's on it can only use web, mms and sms. No phone calls, only when in 3g. But I can't seem to find any cust rooms for my phone, except for one and it's TWRP but I don't know if it worked or not for him? I used Kingo and have SuperSU installed and several other apps, I'm curious about Xposed but dunno to much about it.
9th June 2016, 03:17 PM |#8  
Flag Beatrice
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

I'm rooted now, and I can activate my LTE but when it's on it can only use web, mms and sms. No phone calls, only when in 3g. But I can't seem to find any cust rooms for my phone, except for one and it's TWRP but I don't know if it worked or not for him? I used Kingo and have SuperSU installed and several other apps, I'm curious about Xposed but dunno to much about it.

Are the correct APNs in the phone for service?
9th June 2016, 06:22 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Tullahoma

Donate to Me
More
I dunno, it says VZWCBS, VZWINTERNET, VZW800, VZWAPP, VZWADMIN

Sent from my SM-S906L using XDA-Developers mobile app
11th June 2016, 09:07 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Quote:

I dunno, it says VZWCBS, VZWINTERNET, VZW800, VZWAPP, VZWADMIN

Sent from my SM-S906L using XDA-Developers mobile app

I believe xposed for gs6 is on 5.1 firmware and up and it's a unofficial version by wanam. No root exploits have been made for our phones on those firmwares, so no xposed. There are a few roms for Verizon gs6 but they are all tw based because of the locked bootloader. I can throw my sim back in my S6 and copy info from apn settings to see if they match yours.
21st June 2016, 09:37 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
If you're still having issues with your LTE -by any chance did you accidentally dial the old *228 or *22890 to program the phone? If so that programs the sim with the old access info and only allows access to the 3G network. The only real fix that I'm aware of is to have ST send you another sim, it's free of charge. I may have miss-understood the topic of "no phone calls", but Verizon's network isn't able to allow you to use the web while on a call like AT&T can, unless you're using the HD Voice feature that uses the LTE data for placing the call. If you instead meant that you're unable to make calls at all while on a LTE connection then the replacement SIM should fix that as well.

PSA TO ANYONE WITH A VERIZON LTE DEVICE - DO NOT DIAL THE *228 OR *22890 PROGRAMMING NUMBERS, THEY WILL BREAK YOUR ACCESS TO LTE AND YOU'LL BE STUCK ON 3G UNTIL YOU GET A NEW SIM CARD.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)