FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

GUIDE: fine-tuning performance and battery for your S7 or S7 Edge

746 posts
Thanks Meter: 861

Post Reply Email Thread
This is a follow-up post to my GUIDE: ROOT, install XPOSED, and UNROOT/returning to stock a Verizon Galaxy S7

So you want even better performance and battery life than what I include in my flashable update package and in my deep debloat flashable update package? Not afraid to get your hands dirty with more hands-on config? Not afraid to fork over a few dollars to get the nice root apps we need to do so? Well okay then, let's dive in!

Disclaimer: You tweak your phone at your own risk, even if you follow my guide exactly. If something doesn't work right for you or you have problems, feel free to report it so I can modify my guide accordingly, but I'm not offering anyone specific support or help with any of this process. This is just what I do to make my phone that much more optimized.

typical battery life: over 50 hours 90 minutes screen on time for half battery drain

Apps you'll need:

Android Google Play Store apps you'll need:
Amplify (including in-app pro activation)
ForceDoze (free)
Greenify (including pro package)
L Speed [ROOT] (free)
LeanDroid (including in-app pro activation)

Android Xposed modules you'll need:
Amplify (installed via Play Store app)
Greenify (installed via Play Store app)
(don't forget to activate Xposed modules after you've installed them, then reboot your phone)

Additionally, you'll need the Xposed framework installed and functional. Check my root guide under Recommended Next Steps if you need help with that.

You'll notice that I don't use any task managers (with the slight exception of Greenify, but it's going to be set up to deep-sleep apps, not kill them). You'll also notice I don't use any CPU tweaking apps -- the default settings from our carrier does really well and are persistently set by my flashable update package anyway.

Configuring Android

Note: all of the changes in this section will be in your device's main settings.

Note: on my Verizon Galaxy S7, I use the 'Global' preferred network node (under 'Mobile networks'). Others have recommended LTE/GSM/UMTS instead -- use whichever works best for your device.

Tap on Wireless and networks: More. Tap on Nearby device scanning and turn it off.

Tap on Phone: Display and wallpaper. Tap on Always on Display and turn it off. If the AODService [com.samsung.android.app.aodservice] package is uninstalled or frozen, it should already be off.

Tap on Personal: Location. Enable Location if it's turned off so that you can tap on Improve accuracy and turn both Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning off. Turn Location back off if you like. I only enable Location when I need it. Still in the Location settings, tap at the bottom on Google Location History. Tap to turn off Location History.

Tap on System: Developer options (should already be enabled from the root section of my guide). Scroll to three options labeled "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale", and "Animator duration scale". Set all three to "Animation off".

Configuring Amplify

Note: swipe from the left in this app to get a list of sections.

Settings

Show launcher icon: checked
Choose theme: inconsequential
Service Blocking: checked
Force English: inconsequential
Scroll Item Names: checked

Wakelocks

Note: find the item in the list and tap it to configure, then tap 'ON' under 'SETTINGS' to enable controlling the wakelock, then tap the field immediately under this to configure the throttle for the wakelock.

LocationManagerService: 10 seconds
Icing: 30 seconds
GCoreFlp: 60 seconds
NlpWakeLock: 60 seconds
NetworkStats: 60 seconds
SyncLoopWakeLock: 300 seconds
AudioIn: 240 seconds
NlpCollectorWakeLock: 60 seconds
Wakeful StateMachine: GeofencerStateMachine: 10 seconds
GpsLocationProvider: 1 second
ContextManagerWakeLock: 5 seconds
UlrDispSvcFastWL: 9999999 seconds
RILJ0: 60 seconds
ImsService: 15 seconds

Alarms

Note: find the item in the list and tap it to configure, then tap 'ON' under 'SETTINGS' to enable controlling the alarm, then tap the field immediately under this to configure the throttle for the alarm.

com.android.internal.telephony.data-stall: 60 seconds
com.google.android.gms/.lockbox.LockboxAlarmReceiver: 60 seconds
com.levelup.beautifulwidgets.core.ACTION_REFRESHTIME: 120 seconds throttles the Beautiful Widgets widget refresh time
com.google.android.gms.location.fused.SEND_LOCATIO N_IN_SMD_MODE: 5 seconds

Services

Note: services can either be enabled or disabled entirely, not throttled.

com.google.android/gms/com.google.android.location.reporting.service.Disp atchingService: Deny
com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.PendingIntent CallbackService: Deny

Configuring ForceDoze

Enable the ForceDoze service.

Settings:
Don't disable sensors on screen off: unchecked
Turn off while charging: unchecked
Auto-rotate/brightness fix: unchecked
Show persistent notification: checked (your preference may vary)
Ignore lockscreen timeout: checked
Whitelist apps: (none)
Disable WiFi during Doze: unchecked
Disable mobile data during Doze: unchecked
Disable motion sensing for Doze: unchecked
Doze delay: 0
(disabled) Enable Doze on unsupported device: unchecked
Disable motion sensing for Doze (root): unchecked

Configuring Greenify

Note: most of the performance savings will come from this app.

Working Mode: Boost if you don't see this option, check Xposed Installer and enable the Greenify module, then reboot -- if the Greenify module isn't there, install it from the Xposed Installer first
Shallow Hibernation (experimental): enabled
Aggressive Doze (experimental): enabled
Xposed-based Features -> Wakeup Timer Coalescing (4.4+): checked
Xposed-based Features -> Telephony Wakeup: checked
Xposed-based Features -> Don't Remove Notifications: checked
Xposed-based Features -> Block App State Abuse: checked
Xposed-based Features -> Deep Hibernation (alpha): unchecked
Xposed-based Features -> GCM push for greenified apps: checked
Xposed-based Features -> Greenifying system apps: unchecked
Xposed-based Features -> Reveal Hidden Sync: unchecked

Now you'll need to add apps you want to Greenify. From the main Greenify menu, click the [+] button at the top of the app. Scroll down and click "Show more apps". I would select almost all apps except the ones that need to automate or update the UI such as widgets, Xposed modules, print services, dialer/phone, alarm clocks, widgets, etc. Some SMS or chat apps may also need to be skipped, but I personally have Hangouts, Facebook, etc. Greenified and I still get instant notifications for new messages and e-mails just fine. Your experience may vary, so spend some time experimenting with what apps you do and don't like put into hibernation when not in direct use.

Configuring L Speed

Note: some options are preferential and should be researched accordingly if you plan on changing them or are curious what they do. For my phone, I've chosen anything that boosts performance for 'free' (no or very negligible battery cost).

L Speed requires the sqlite binaries to be installed to change some settings. I used Sqlite installer for root, which worked fine. BusyBox does not include this binary.

First, go to Menu -> Settings and enable "Use Advanced UI". This will restart the app with a different interface.

From here forward, you can swipe from the left (or use the menu in the upper left) to access different sections.

Settings:
Use Advanced UI: enabled
Dark theme: disabled (preferential)
Color navigation bar: disabled (preferential)
Force English: disabled (preferential)
Show toggle toast: enabled (preferential)
Use Fahrenheit (°F): disabled (preferential)
Apply on boot delay: 5sec
Show boot notification: enabled (preferential)

Main Tweaks:
Kernel Modification -> Kernel Tweaks: Disabled
Kernel Modification -> Kernel sleepers optimization: enabled
System Tweaks -> Battery improvement: enabled
System Tweaks -> Faster boot: enabled
System Tweaks -> WiFi sleeper: disabled
System Tweaks -> Flag tuner: enabled
System Tweaks -> Assertive display: enabled (preferential)
System Tweaks -> Improve scrolling: enabled
System Tweaks -> Liquid smooth UI: enabled (preferential)
Debugging Options -> Disable debugging: enabled (this is unrelated to USB debugging)
Debugging Options -> Disable kernel panic: disabled
Other Tweaks -> Better in call audio: enabled (does not conflict with ViPRE4Android)
Other Tweaks -> Improve image quality: enabled

CPU Tuner:
CPU Tuning -> CPU Optimizer: enabled (does not conflict with my CPU fixes startup script)

LNET Optimizer:
LNET Tweaks -> NET Buffers: Default
LNET Tweaks -> RIL tweaks: disabled
LNET Optimizations -> Google DNS: disabled (preferential)
LNET Optimizations -> Faster streaming: enabled
LNET Optimizations -> Fast dormancy: enabled

IO Tweaks
Storage IO Tweaks -> SD tweak: Light
Storage IO Tweaks -> IO Boost: enabled
Storage IO Tweaks -> IO Extended Queue: disabled
Storage IO Tweaks -> Partition remount: enabled (preferential: gives more permissions to the SD card)

Virtual Memory
Memory Management Tweaks -> OOM Killer: Enabled
Memory Management Tweaks -> Cache Reclaiming: Minimum
Memory Management Tweaks -> Cache Allocation: Medium

RAM Manager
RAM Manager Options -> Ram Manager: Balanced

Seeder
Seeder Options -> Default

Cleaner
Cleaner Options -> Run cleaner on boot: disabled (preferential)

FStrim
FStrim Options -> Run fstrim on boot: disabled (preferential)

Configuring LeanDroid

Note: I only use LeanDroid's features to compliment Do Not Disturb (aka "Blocking Mode") during specific hours. Tasker or other automated programs could do this, but that's a more in-depth guide. Additionally, this setup will add a persistent notification that you can use to pause/unpause LeanDroid or jump to its settings. That notification can be disabled by going into the app, clicking the [...] menu in the top right, and choosing "Hide notification". I like having it there to know it's on and to pause/unpause it if I'm not using Do Not Disturb for some reason.

LeanDroid master on/off switch: enabled
Disable... -> Wi-Fi: checked
Disable... -> Cellular data -- leave it unchecked if you want the phone to be cut off from all data during Do Not Disturb hours / check it if you want it to be blocked
Disable... -> Cellular radio: unchecked
Disable... -> Bluetooth: checked -- unless you feel that Bluetooth connectivity is important during Do Not Disturb hours
Disable... -> Network location: checked -- unless you feel that location availability is important during Do Not Disturb hours
Disable... -> GPS location: checked -- unless you feel that GPS availability is important during Do Not Disturb hours
Switch... -> Cellular network mode to [varies]: unchecked -- you could check this and enable 2G or 3G if you are allowing Do Not Disturb hours to have access to cellular data, but want to restrict it to lower speeds (uses less battery than LTE/4G)
Switch... -> [varies] after screen off [except] -- multiple options here, set it to '5 MIN' after screen off and click 'EXCEPT ->'
EXCEPT-> Except [varies]-[varies] -- time range, I have mine set from 7:00 AM to 11:30 PM because at 11:30 PM is when my Do Not Disturb is enabled on my phone (until 7:00 AM the next day), adjust yours as necessary
EXCEPT-> remaining options: unchecked -- set as desired, but I have them all off
Restore... -> After screen on: selected
Restore... -> After screen unlocked: unselected
Restore... -> Every [varies] after screen off: unchecked -- configure if you want data enabled in short bursts during Do Not Disturb hours
Restore... -> Data after waiting [varies] for Wi-Fi to connect: unchecked

Use these settings in tandem with Samsung's built-in Do Not Disturb on a schedule. Your phone won't hardly touch any battery overnight if left off the charger (unless you're in a really horrible reception area and/or roaming or something -- cellular radio is still active for phone calls).

For example, I charged my phone to full and then unplugged it overnight while I slept. Here's how battery usage looks in the morning:

battery use overnight

The radio antenna is left on, so calls, texts, and MMS can come through (but may be silenced depending on your Do Not Disturb settings), but data is strictly prohibited so if you need e-mail or chat alerts, etc., you would want to enable data every X minutes for X minutes. This will increase battery usage slightly, but not by much.

Enjoy!

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to psouza4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psouza4 Ad-Free

13th July 2016, 10:15 PM |#2  
Flag Lincoln, Nebraska
Thanks Meter: 18

More
For Greenify, what do you mean by "Working Mode: Boost"? My only two options are Root and Non-Root. Did you mean Root instead of Boost?
The Following User Says Thank You to SanguiniusWept For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SanguiniusWept Ad-Free
13th July 2016, 10:58 PM |#3  
Flag glacier bay
Thanks Meter: 2,873

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguiniusWept

For Greenify, what do you mean by "Working Mode: Boost"? My only two options are Root and Non-Root. Did you mean Root instead of Boost?

Get the greenify xposed module. Install that too. And reboot. Now the option will be there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuezaireekaa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cuezaireekaa Ad-Free
13th July 2016, 11:06 PM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Meridian, ID

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuezaireekaa

Get the greenify xposed module. Install that too. And reboot. Now the option will be there.

Updated my guide to reflect the Greenify Xposed module neceessity, thanks @cuezaireekaa
13th July 2016, 11:17 PM |#5  
Flag Lincoln, Nebraska

More
Good to know. Haven't installed Xposed yet. I was trying to get some battery life and performance baselines before I get that far.
13th July 2016, 11:23 PM |#6  
Flag glacier bay
Thanks Meter: 2,873

More
Quote:

Good to know. Haven't installed Xposed yet. I was trying to get some battery life and performance baselines before I get that far.

You're gonna be able to tweak your battery best once you have xposed installed. The two main battery saving apps, greenify, and amplify rely heavily on xposed. Painless process, but if you don't feel comfortable, re read things and go slowly because there is gonna be maintenance when tweaking this hard. ;P
Have fun, and keep full stock firmware for your specific device handy on your PC just in case bootloops
13th July 2016, 11:30 PM |#7  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Any idea of performance gain and battery gain?
13th July 2016, 11:34 PM |#8  
Flag Lincoln, Nebraska

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuezaireekaa

You're gonna be able to tweak your battery best once you have xposed installed. The two main battery saving apps, greenify, and amplify rely heavily on xposed. Painless process, but if you don't feel comfortable, re read things and go slowly because there is gonna be maintenance when tweaking this hard. ;P
Have fun, and keep full stock firmware for your specific device handy on your PC just in case bootloops

It's not at all a case of wariness. I've used Xposed for years, first on a Droid Bionic and then on my S5. I have every intention of putting Xposed on my S7, but I'm taking it slow so I can basically have a bit of a "changelog" on my phone. I'll probably put it on in a few days, after I know everything I need to know about my current performance profiles. Thanks for the concern and the info
13th July 2016, 11:58 PM |#9  
Flag Meridian, ID

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhillvinnie

Any idea of performance gain and battery gain?

Here's a sample video I recorded on my phone (720p @ 30fps)... even recording didn't slow it down, so this video is a fairly decent preview of the kind of performance/responsiveness I'm getting. I took the video for a friend and didn't edit it so it's kind of all over the place as far as personal data and random clicking but you'll get the idea.

As far as battery goes, the thing doesn't use hardly any battery if I'm not touching it. On standby, it could go days. Since I've been developing and testing stuff (and it's my daily phone), it never gets to sit that long, but for example it uses about 1% battery overnight while I sleep and probably 1-2% battery per hour during non-blocking/LeanDroid hours.

[YOUTUBE]XETe5i3HUAM[/YOUTUBE]

(keep the laughter of my cheesy game selection to a minimum, bwahaha)

14th July 2016, 01:08 AM |#10  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4

Here's a sample video I recorded on my phone (720p @ 30fps)... even recording didn't slow it down, so this video is a fairly decent preview of the kind of performance/responsiveness I'm getting. I took the video for a friend and didn't edit it so it's kind of all over the place as far as personal data and random clicking but you'll get the idea.

As far as battery goes, the thing doesn't use hardly any battery if I'm not touching it. On standby, it could go days. Since I've been developing and testing stuff (and it's my daily phone), it never gets to sit that long, but for example it uses about 1% battery overnight while I sleep and probably 1-2% battery per hour during non-blocking/LeanDroid hours.

[YOUTUBE]XETe5i3HUAM[/YOUTUBE]

(keep the laughter of my cheesy game selection to a minimum, bwahaha)

Sent from my SM-G930V using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Stock i thought was retty good

14th July 2016, 01:09 AM |#11  
Flag Meridian, ID

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Stock i thought was retty good

Can only get better from there -- love it when the highest battery drain is the screen!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, guide, performance

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)