FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to get cm booting on vzw with vzw firmware

1,258 posts
Thanks Meter: 237
 
By gillim74, Senior Member on 16th November 2016, 01:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
To get a cm rom booting on vzw firmware heres what you must do.first you must flash us unlocked firmware.look for the thread to do this with.boot the phone.go back and flash dottat 1.85 ruu.let the rom boot.go into twrp do a full wipe format data flash cm rom gapps and your good to.how or why this works i have no idea but with helping my friend @andybones we discovered this is the method for it to work.happy Flashing!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to gillim74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gillim74 Ad-Free
 
 
20th November 2016, 11:01 PM |#2  
hovercraftdriver's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Panama City
Thanks Meter: 155
 
More
Possible to make this in bullet or number/step format and a little more clear and detailed? Pretty sure I get it, but... Thanks!
2nd December 2016, 12:08 AM |#3  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 14,197
 
Donate to Me
More
Detailed Guide
UPDATE: please read this posthttps://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=866

With thanks to @The Fer-Shiz-Nizzle it was figured out that the key to getting LOS/AOSP ROMs booted was rfg_3.img. Verizon and Sprint don't have one. Instead of having to flash the entire US Unlocked RUU (which flashes the firmware, thus flashing the rfg_3.img) you can now simply 'flash' just the 1 .img


This post has a .zip I made and instructions to flash rfg_3.img

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...7&postcount=32
---UPDATED 6/02/17---





OUTDATED - I SUGGEST FOLLOWING THE ABOVE INSTEAD

Here is a more clear, step-by-step guide.


1) Flash the US Unlocked firmware, modified for Verizon.
1a) Here is the one I personally used, that is already modified.
1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.96.617.20_Modified4VZW.zip

fastboot reboot


2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3a) Let the RUU boot fully up to the stock ROM after the installation finishes.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5) Boot to TWRP. Do a full wipe and flash your AOSP ROM.
5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Hit thanks button if this helped you.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andybones Ad-Free
2nd December 2016, 02:35 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Celina ohio
Thanks Meter: 237
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Here is a more clear, step-by-step guide.

1) Flash the US Unlocked firmware, modified for Verizon.
1a) Here is the one I personally used, that is already modified.
1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.96.617.20_Modified4VZW.zip

fastboot reboot


2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3a) Let the RUU boot fully up to the stock ROM after the installation finishes.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5) Boot to TWRP. Do a full wipe and flash your AOSP ROM.
5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Be baffled like myself as to why this worked. Also hit thanks button if this helped you.

Thanks man was just about to write it up.you saved me the trouble lol.
2nd December 2016, 05:36 PM |#5  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 14,197
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraftdriver

Possible to make this in bullet or number/step format and a little more clear and detailed? Pretty sure I get it, but... Thanks!

Made a more clear guide, if you haven't already got it.

This will serve as a thread for those needing help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillim74

Thanks man was just about to write it up.you saved me the trouble lol.

- team effort.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andybones Ad-Free
2nd December 2016, 05:38 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Celina ohio
Thanks Meter: 237
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Made a more clear guide, if you haven't already got it.

This will serve as a thread for those needing help as well.



- team effort.

Indeed
6th December 2016, 08:21 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
HELP HELP! Guys I'm STUCKED :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Here is a more clear, step-by-step guide.

1) Flash the US Unlocked firmware, modified for Verizon.
1a) Here is the one I personally used, that is already modified.
1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.96.617.20_Modified4VZW.zip

fastboot reboot


2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3a) Let the RUU boot fully up to the stock ROM after the installation finishes.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5) Boot to TWRP. Do a full wipe and flash your AOSP ROM.
5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Be baffled like myself as to why this worked. Also hit thanks button if this helped you.


Guys I really need help with this thread.
What I expected this was like I will be able to flash the custom rom and change from Verizon variant to run viper, but I ended up with the same stock rom from Verizon.

My verizon htc 10 is still S-ON and Locked Bootloader and according to what I've read threads and forums I found out that I can't unlock the bootloader unless I pay 25$ to use SunShine App. So I was so interested with this thread and I've followed the procedures from step 1 until step 3 when everything back to stock and I realized that I was in the same stock rom as I used to be nothing change or make it worth it after I flashed the RUU.exe something like that.

Then through step 4 I stucked there! I have no idea what to do next maybe I'm just dumb and can't get rid of the problems? Please let me know what to do next :\

sorry for my bad english cuz I'm so hesitating!!!!
6th December 2016, 01:22 PM |#8  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 14,197
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheakimpor

Guys I really need help with this thread.
What I expected this was like I will be able to flash the custom rom and change from Verizon variant to run viper, but I ended up with the same stock rom from Verizon.

My verizon htc 10 is still S-ON and Locked Bootloader and according to what I've read threads and forums I found out that I can't unlock the bootloader unless I pay 25$ to use SunShine App. So I was so interested with this thread and I've followed the procedures from step 1 until step 3 when everything back to stock and I realized that I was in the same stock rom as I used to be nothing change or make it worth it after I flashed the RUU.exe something like that.

Then through step 4 I stucked there! I have no idea what to do next maybe I'm just dumb and can't get rid of the problems? Please let me know what to do next :\

sorry for my bad english cuz I'm so hesitating!!!!

What..?
please read the thread title again. And did you even read my steps outlined before doing them? You're lucky you didn't brick your device being S-ON...
The Following User Says Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andybones Ad-Free
21st December 2016, 12:12 AM |#9  
kiwigramme's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag New Bremen, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Here is a more clear, step-by-step guide.

1) Flash the US Unlocked firmware, modified for Verizon.
1a) Here is the one I personally used, that is already modified.
1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.96.617.20_Modified4VZW.zip

fastboot reboot


2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3a) Let the RUU boot fully up to the stock ROM after the installation finishes.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5) Boot to TWRP. Do a full wipe and flash your AOSP ROM.
5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Be baffled like myself as to why this worked. Also hit thanks button if this helped you.


Hi, thanks for this post. I've flashed this custom unlocked firmware, then flashed the stock Verizon one over-top of it. Now, since I'm a noob, will this leave the radio working? Because before I've had many issues with custom roms and the radio not working on this phone. I have S-Off and an Unlocked bootloader. (Im VERY new if you cannot tell.)

I had the stock rom rooted, and then switched to Viper10.

All went to **** when I switched to ICE. Signal was GONE.
21st December 2016, 12:17 AM |#10  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 14,197
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigramme

Hi, thanks for this post. I've flashed this custom unlocked firmware, then flashed the stock Verizon one over-top of it. Now, since I'm a noob, will this leave the radio working? Because before I've had many issues with custom roms and the radio not working on this phone. I have S-Off and an Unlocked bootloader. (Im VERY new if you cannot tell.)

I had the stock rom rooted, and then switched to Viper10.

All went to **** when I switched to ICE. Signal was GONE.

Flashing the Verizon RUU indeed does flash the Verizon radio. Google what an RUU is for better understanding.
21st December 2016, 01:26 AM |#11  
kiwigramme's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag New Bremen, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Flashing the Verizon RUU indeed does flash the Verizon radio. Google what an RUU is for better understanding.

Thank you, I'm more asking for a better understanding of how this decryption thing works with disabling the radio. There is very very little information online. Am I selecting the wrong options in TWRP or simply flashing the wrong roms?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes