How to get cm booting on vzw with vzw firmware

Search This thread

gillim74

Jul 28, 2012
Celina ohio
To get a cm rom booting on vzw firmware heres what you must do.first you must flash us unlocked firmware.look for the thread to do this with.boot the phone.go back and flash dottat 1.85 ruu.let the rom boot.go into twrp do a full wipe format data flash cm rom gapps and your good to.how or why this works i have no idea but with helping my friend @andybones we discovered this is the method for it to work.happy Flashing!!!

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Detailed Guide

UPDATE: please read this posthttps://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71137922&postcount=866

With thanks to @The Fer-Shiz-Nizzle it was figured out that the key to getting LOS/AOSP ROMs booted was rfg_3.img. Verizon and Sprint don't have one. Instead of having to flash the entire US Unlocked RUU (which flashes the firmware, thus flashing the rfg_3.img) you can now simply 'flash' just the 1 .img

This post has a .zip I made and instructions to flash rfg_3.img

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71362727&postcount=32
---UPDATED 6/02/17---

OUTDATED - I SUGGEST FOLLOWING THE ABOVE INSTEAD

Here is a more clear, step-by-step guide.

1) Flash the US Unlocked firmware, modified for Verizon.
1a) Here is the one I personally used, that is already modified.
1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.96.617.20_Modified4VZW.zip

fastboot reboot

2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3a) Let the RUU boot fully up to the stock ROM after the installation finishes.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5) Boot to TWRP. Do a full wipe and flash your AOSP ROM.
5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Hit thanks button if this helped you. :cool:

Last edited:

gillim74

Jul 28, 2012
Celina ohio

1b) CAUTION - Flashing this did wipe my internal, so back up everything! Back up everything either way.. even if you're just reading this.
1c) How to flash?
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot reboot

2) After you issue the 'fastboot reboot' command you will most likely get stuck on the hTC splash screen as the modified firmware wiped everything, including your system (ROM). If it didn't, not a problem - reboot the device to download mode and continue onto step 3.
2a) Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons until the phone reboots. Keep holding Vol- while letting go of the other buttons. This will bring you to download mode.

3) Now flash the Official Verizon 1.85.605.8 RUU from dottat. Putting you back to a full Verizon variant device. Thread found here.
3b) Make sure to have the AOSP ROM of your choice either on SD-Card or move it now onto the Internal storage.

4) Set your device back to your liking. Splash screen, etc.. but also now you flash TWRP.
4a) If you use multirom, I would still first finish these steps, then you can flash the multirom TWRP and zip. (I am using multirom successfully with both Stock Verizon 1.85.605.8 ROM as primary and CM, AOKP and Resurrection Remix AOSP ROMs as secondaries while being fully Verizon variant device, thanks to this process)

5a) Note - Most the AOSP ROMs (possibly all that are out?) will boot to the boot animation and then go to a black screen for a minute or so, don't freak. This is normal behavior and will resume back to the boot animation.

6) Enjoy! Be baffled like myself as to why this worked. Also hit thanks button if this helped you. :cool:

Thanks man was just about to write it up.you saved me the trouble lol.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

cheakimpor

Aug 26, 2011
HELP HELP! Guys I'm STUCKED :(

1c) How to flash?
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot reboot

6) Enjoy! Be baffled like myself as to why this worked. Also hit thanks button if this helped you. :cool:

Guys I really need help with this thread.
What I expected this was like I will be able to flash the custom rom and change from Verizon variant to run viper, but I ended up with the same stock rom from Verizon.

My verizon htc 10 is still S-ON and Locked Bootloader and according to what I've read threads and forums I found out that I can't unlock the bootloader unless I pay 25$ to use SunShine App. So I was so interested with this thread and I've followed the procedures from step 1 until step 3 when everything back to stock and I realized that I was in the same stock rom as I used to be :( nothing change or make it worth it after I flashed the RUU.exe something like that.

Then through step 4 I stucked there! I have no idea what to do next maybe I'm just dumb and can't get rid of the problems? Please let me know what to do next :\

sorry for my bad english cuz I'm so hesitating!!!!:crying:

Last edited:

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

Guys I really need help with this thread.
What I expected this was like I will be able to flash the custom rom and change from Verizon variant to run viper, but I ended up with the same stock rom from Verizon.

My verizon htc 10 is still S-ON and Locked Bootloader and according to what I've read threads and forums I found out that I can't unlock the bootloader unless I pay 25$ to use SunShine App. So I was so interested with this thread and I've followed the procedures from step 1 until step 3 when everything back to stock and I realized that I was in the same stock rom as I used to be :( nothing change or make it worth it after I flashed the RUU.exe something like that.

Then through step 4 I stucked there! I have no idea what to do next maybe I'm just dumb and can't get rid of the problems? Please let me know what to do next :\

sorry for my bad english cuz I'm so hesitating!!!!:crying:

What..?
please read the thread title again. And did you even read my steps outlined before doing them? You're lucky you didn't brick your device being S-ON...

Reactions: hgoldner

kiwigramme

Dec 19, 2016
New Bremen, Ohio

1c) How to flash?
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot reboot

Hi, thanks for this post. I've flashed this custom unlocked firmware, then flashed the stock Verizon one over-top of it. Now, since I'm a noob, will this leave the radio working? Because before I've had many issues with custom roms and the radio not working on this phone. I have S-Off and an Unlocked bootloader. (Im VERY new if you cannot tell.)

I had the stock rom rooted, and then switched to Viper10.

All went to **** when I switched to ICE. Signal was GONE.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hi, thanks for this post. I've flashed this custom unlocked firmware, then flashed the stock Verizon one over-top of it. Now, since I'm a noob, will this leave the radio working? Because before I've had many issues with custom roms and the radio not working on this phone. I have S-Off and an Unlocked bootloader. (Im VERY new if you cannot tell.)

I had the stock rom rooted, and then switched to Viper10.

All went to **** when I switched to ICE. Signal was GONE.

Flashing the Verizon RUU indeed does flash the Verizon radio. Google what an RUU is for better understanding. :cool:

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Thank you, I'm more asking for a better understanding of how this decryption thing works with disabling the radio. There is very very little information online. Am I selecting the wrong options in TWRP or simply flashing the wrong roms?

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong as I don't know what you did....

You are on MM firmware. You are a Verizon user. There is no benefit to flash any other firmware like the Android N US Unlocked firmware. No benefit.
The ONLY reason I flashed it, and this thread was made because of this discovery, that for some reason, the simple steps of
1) flash us unlocked firmware
2) flash vzw ruu
3) flash twrp
4) flash cm rom
5) profit

That's it. That's what this thread is for. I am not sure about radio, and decryption stuff, you are better off asking in a thread dedicated to that, or even creating one.. if you have these questions -- so do others.

For some info that I can give (which will be short as on phone)..
step 2, you flash the vzw ruu, which means you are back to 100% stock VZW MM ROM. You CAN flash N ROMs, but again this thread is not for that. When you flash the ROM, like Leedroid N, ICE N, Viper N, for ex. they have option in aroma for MM or N, you choose MM. As for radio, read the ROM threads instructions, I think Viper has them on their site, in-fact here.
http://venomroms.com/viper10-downloads/?refresh=true

read. ask questions. learn. repeat.

Hope this was of some help. :good:

P.S. When they say format data, it is not WIPE data. it is FORMAT data. you need to actually type YES in TWRP. You may need to do this. Personally... since I am using multirom, I am on Verizon MM RUU, I did these steps so I can run CM. As long as I have my stock deodexed MM ROM as my primary I can run N ROMs no issue as secondary (if you are familiar with multirom) I have the stock rom as primary, Leedroid N, ICE N and CM 14.1 ROMs all as secondary ROMs running great. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarima

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
What do I do to "modify it for Sprint"?

Been very busy, wasn't ignoring you.

Edit the android-info.txt with the CID and MID for Sprint. If you need help with that let me know. Follow the rest of the instructions, but flash the Sprint RUU rather Verizon, and the rest should be the same.
Merry Christmas

mcwups1

May 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Edit the android-info.txt with the CID and MID for Sprint. If you need help with that let me know. Follow the rest of the instructions, but flash the Sprint RUU rather Verizon, and the rest should be the same.
Merry Christmas
Beautiful!

I will try this very soon!

Sorry, I didn't see this, or get a notification.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Merry Christmas
Also, if I have Super CID, I change to 11111111?

Reactions: andybones

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Beautiful!

I will try this very soon!

Sorry, I didn't see this, or get a notification.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Also, if I have Super CID, I change to 11111111?

If your device is SuperCID you can actually leave it as VZW_001, or change it to Sprints (being SuperCID though allows you to flash basically anything, so continue to be careful). I am not 100% sure if it matter about MID, that was one thing I was unsure about, but if you open up a Sprint firmware and look at the android.info.txt, change modelid: 2PS650000 to whatever it is for Sprint (it may be the same?). but other than that you are good to go! :cool:
Sorry it took me so long, I didn't foresee anything bad happening but I wanted to be sure first.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcwups1

mcwups1

May 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
If your device is SuperCID you can actually leave it as VZW_001, or change it to Sprints (being SuperCID though allows you to flash basically anything, so continue to be careful). I am not 100% sure if it matter about MID, that was one thing I was unsure about, but if you open up a Sprint firmware and look at the android.info.txt, change modelid: 2PS650000 to whatever it is for Sprint (it may be the same?). but other than that you are good to go! :cool:
Sorry it took me so long, I don't foresee anything bad happening but I wanted to be sure first.

2PS640000 for Sprint.

Now, I'm just worried about it working!

Sprint has had several MM RUU's.

I might be the first to try this with Sprint's latest update.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
2PS640000 for Sprint.

Now, I'm just worried about it working!

Sprint has had several MM RUU's.

I might be the first to try this with Sprint's latest update.

RUU is an RUU, I wouldn't worry. And if are flash older RUU, then the new firmware, but that's going outside the guide and can't say that the AOSP ROMs will boot after the firmware, but I don't see why not.

Or do you mean flashing the US unlocked firmware on Sprints new firmware? If so you can flash an older RUU/firmware, then the edited US unlocked firmware, then Sprint newest RUU.

Last edited:

afuller42

Apr 1, 2014
Owatonna, MN
figured id just flash this and get it out of the way in case I wanted to run some of these asop builds popping up along the way.

from my understanding from reading this is that its kinda a permament fix, meaning id never have to flash the modified firmware pack again even if I reflash a ruu a second time down the road, or even the Verizon N update say? or is it needed again after doing that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Detailed Guide

UPDATE: please read this posthttps://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71137922&postcount=866

With thanks to @The Fer-Shiz-Nizzle it was figured out that the key to getting LOS/AOSP ROMs booted was rfg_3.img. Verizon and Sprint don't have one. Instead of having to flash the entire US Unlocked RUU (which flashes the firmware, thus flashing the rfg_3.img) you can now simply 'flash' just the 1 .img

This post has a .zip I made and instructions to flash rfg_3.img

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71362727&postcount=32
    ---UPDATED 6/02/17---

OUTDATED - I SUGGEST FOLLOWING THE ABOVE INSTEAD

1c) How to flash?
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot reboot

6) Enjoy! Hit thanks button if this helped you. :cool:
    OK. Thanks! That's what I began to suspect. Sorry for wasting your time on this, but do know, I really appreciate the work you put into trying to fix this issue.

No worry about wasting my time, you didn't. :good:

I am more worried that I could have lead you into a possible brick. :-/
    --however I am very happy that didn't happen!

If looking into S-OFF, there is only 1 option and that is $25 for Sunshine, and I fully support them and the cost of said S-OFF. :cool:
    Possible to make this in bullet or number/step format and a little more clear and detailed? Pretty sure I get it, but... Thanks!

Made a more clear guide, if you haven't already got it.

This will serve as a thread for those needing help as well. :good:

Thanks man was just about to write it up.you saved me the trouble lol.

:) - team effort. :highfive:
    Here I made a .zip, flash this. Then AOSP/LOS ROMs will boot..

Credit for method from this thread.
    https://xdaforums.com/htc-10/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-pre-official-t3528508/page103

Must be S-OFF!!

Hey guys, with the new International N firmware versions coming out, I decided to update this.
    Although I don't know what the rfg_3.img is, as we don't have it for Verizon, and a quick Google search didn't provide anything, it's always best to have the latest version.
    This will update to: SSD:VCP-5.83
    -- which I pulled from 2.41.401.4 firmware. I have found this to be the newest, after checking in all the other firmwares that contain this image.

Flash the attached the same way:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip US_UL-rfg_3.img-Made4Verizon.zip

fastboot reboot
    What do I do to "modify it for Sprint"?

Merry Christmas