HTC 10 Verizon root thread

Search This thread

polaric

Oct 23, 2013
Mechanicsburg
play.google.com
This will be a place to discuss and collaborate on any progress towards a root, bootloader unlock, s-off, or any combination of the such for the Verizon HTC 10. I will regularly update this thread with any progress and links to tools required.

What we know
  • Verizon removed the "Enable oem unlock" option from the developer settings
  • Using htcdev was forbidden by verizon which makes us require something such as SuperCID

What we have
We have We don't have

Root
Bootloader Unlock
S-Off
@jcase and @beaups has pulled of complete s-off with the vzw HTC 10 via Sunshine!

Current method
The current method of getting s-off and root is by @jcase and @beaups sunshine app at http://theroot.ninja/download.html
NOTE: when sunshine asks, turn the screen on and off or it won't work

Notes requested by @jcase

*Do NOT go s-on or relock, as you will have to use Sunshine again

*Taking the OTAs as they come out is your choice and yours alone. If you are already s-off, meaning you sent your phone to @jcase, then you can take OTAs with no risk. S-Off cannot be undone unless you manually do so, so no ota will remove it .
If you are not s-off yet, the release version and the first and only ota works so far. If you take future OTAs without s-off, you run the risk that @jcase's method may be patched.

*The new update has patched Sunshine, but you can still downgrade and root following this guide. https://xdaforums.com/verizon-htc-10/how-to/jan2017-root-unlock-s-off-verizon-htc-t3531996

Useful information
What is root - www.androidcentral.com/root

Last edited:

polaric

Oct 23, 2013
Mechanicsburg
play.google.com
I'm excited for this. Is there a bounty or anything?

No bounty that I've seen has been started yet, but if someone wants to start one it would probably encourage the devs to find a creative way to get temproot. If we get temproot, sunshine will hopefully be easy to make work on vzw, which will give us s off, then supercid, then unlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptko15

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
Keeping my fingers crossed. Probably won't happen though unless it's with a Java card like on the One m9. But after all, it'd only been out on Verizon for a few days. We shall see

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using XDA-Developers mobile app

polaric

Oct 23, 2013
Mechanicsburg
play.google.com
Keeping my fingers crossed. Probably won't happen though unless it's with a Java card like on the One m9. But after all, it'd only been out on Verizon for a few days. We shall see

Get a bounty started, or ask someone to, and I'm sure @jcase or someone similar will find a creative way to pull it off.

Reactions: blkhrt13

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
Get a bounty started, or ask someone to, and I'm sure @jcase or someone similar will find a creative way to pull it off.
Hopefully so. I think jcase already has it done for the other variants. I feel like Verizon is always the last because of extra steps. It may not happen though since they like to lock their devices down.

radensb

Oct 22, 2013
Donation Sent

It is being worked on this weekend and next week

Thanks @jcase for the dedication to the project! I have sent in a donation to help with this effort. I hope more users who wish to benefit from this work do the same! Looking forward to the progress in the upcoming weeks. :D:D:D

EDIT:
jcase is not accepting donations for this project. Please support buy purchasing a license when available!

Last edited:

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
Can't wait to see what happens. Would be awesome not to have to ship my phone off for 4-5days again. Not getting my hopes up after the m9 but crossing my fingers!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Can't wait to see what happens. Would be awesome not to have to ship my phone off for 4-5days again. Not getting my hopes up after the m9 but crossing my fingers!

Thank you but I am refunding it, we dont take donations for pending work. Feel free to buy a sunshine license when supported however!

radensb

Oct 22, 2013
It is being worked on this weekend and next week

Thank you but I am refunding it, we dont take donations for pending work. Feel free to buy a sunshine license when supported however!

Just saw the refund notification and was wondering what happened! Honestly, I would not have at all minded donating and paying for a license. However, I respect your policies in this matter.

Count on my purchase when it is supported! :good:

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Just saw the refund notification and was wondering what happened! Honestly, I would not have at all minded donating and paying for a license. However, I respect your policies in this matter.

Count on my purchase when it is supported! :good:

I just dont feel I'm acting ethical taking a donation to fund a project that we are going to sell, and we also see a lot of people take donations for things never released, so I feel taking donations before release is just making that the norm.

I do appreciate it however!

radensb

Oct 22, 2013
I just dont feel I'm acting ethical taking a donation to fund a project that we are going to sell, and we also see a lot of people take donations for things never released, so I feel taking donations before release is just making that the norm.

I appreciate your stance and honesty! I'll just have to wait to support with a license purchase then.

I am keeping my phone in a stock, un-updated, un-activated state (haven't even gone thought the setup wizard). My thinking is that keeping it virgin will make it easier to crack. Is this reasoning justified? Do you see any risk in activating/updating and using it? My fear is inadvertently updating security measures that make the unlock process more difficult/impossible. While I can still happily use my M7, it's killing me having my new 10 sitting in the box! But, if there is a potential benefit down the road, its a hardship I can endure.

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
I didn't send anything yet but of course I'll buy the license when it's working! If I remember right, didn't you guys get root on the m9 but it wasn't safe and fool proof enough for release?

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I didn't send anything yet but of course I'll buy the license when it's working! If I remember right, didn't you guys get root on the m9 but it wasn't safe and fool proof enough for release?

Sorry I got mixed up on that reply

We actually did finally update it for verizon m9

Top Liked Posts