Frequently Asked Questions Verizon HTC One (M7)

Search This thread

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Verizon HTC One (M7wlv)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
*Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
*Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
*A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
*Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
*Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
*Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: can I SIM unlock this phone for other carriers?[/SIZE]
The m7wlv comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It only works on certain frequencies. See if your carrier supports the below frequencies.
CDMA: 800/1900MHZ,
UMTS/HSPA: 900/2100MHz,
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz,
LTE: 700MHz (Band 13)(only Verizon uses this LTE band thus far)​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why did you refer it to m7wlv?[/SIZE]
That is the board code name. It is also referred to as the m7vzw (named after the carrier) and HTC6500LVW (Model name, also seen in build prop as HTC6500LVWBLU for the Best Buy blue variant). You can call it what you want as it still means this model.

All names said above are used in the build.prop file. When you refer to a device, you usually refer it with the board name, which is m7wlv​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Is root possible with (OS version here)?[/SIZE]
Even though Verizon has blocked HTCdev access to unlock our bootloaders, thanks to jcase, beaups, and a few others, every release is unlockable and can attain S-off status.
  • Rumrunner(1.10.605.2, 1.10.605.8, 1.10.605.10, 1.10.605.15)
  • Firewater(2.10.605.1, 3.11.605.1)(Firewater shut down, so use Sunshine for these two firmwares as well)
  • Sunshine(4.10.605.3, 5.28.605.2) (costs $25 after successful test to ensure unlock and S-off works for the release version)
To find your firmware version, go to settings - about phone - software version.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I have x issue and need to return to stock, How do I do this?[/SIZE]
Be sure you read and follow directions closely! There has been many incidences where people didn't follow the instructions and had a permabrick on their hands! Do NOT go S-on until you are 100% sure you are fully stock from a good RUU flash.
How to: return to stock Locked/S-On

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I am having an issue with data/wifi/call signal. Should I return it as it is defective?[/SIZE]
There is an uncommon occurrence on newer HTC devices where they sometimes get signal issues after a new ROM flash. This isn't hardware related (90% of the time). Something happens where the radio partition gets corrupt after a ROM flash. The way to resolve this is:
  • Back up your /system and /data partition in custom recovery
  • reboot to bootloader
  • Plug your phone into the PC
  • Flash stock recovery from here
  • Flash radio/firmware from here
  • type "fastboot erase cache"
  • Perform a "Factory Reset" by selecting the option from bootloader
  • Flash your custom recovery
  • restore /system and /data

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I don't want to unlock or S-off yet. How can I install the latest OTApkg.zip (I am not on Verizon's network)?[/SIZE]
Even without s-off and no root, you can still utilize the OTApkg.zip.
  • You need to put it on your device's storage.
  • Boot to stock recovery, exclamation point/phone image appears, then press volume up and power to get to the stock recovery menu.
  • Choose install update from sd card.
  • Select OTApkg.zip and let it do its thing.

There is another method I recently just did personally. The new HTC Sync app will search for updates on our phone and prompt to install the most recent update. The app will download the update and install it automagically for you. It doesn't matter what version you are on, it will update to the latest update the first time without having to install each one individually.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Help! How do I recover from this brick?[/SIZE]
What was the last thing you did before your device wouldn't boot?
I was going to flash a custom rom. I wiped everything, even internal storage! Why can't we have an external SD card?!
All is not lost!
while in recovery:
Put your ROM file in the same folder as ADB
"adb push your_rom_filename.zip /sdcard/"
Back out so you can click on the install file on sdcard option and viola...

I don't know what I did! I cannot get into recovery, or boot up past the HTC splash screen!
Never Fear!
RUU to the rescue! Follow that link and the instructions precisely. WARNING: doing and RUU will wipe the internal SD and return the phone to "Out of box" condition (except you will still be s-off and unlocked)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: After I rooted and flashed a custom recovery, I have this annoying red text on boot up. How do I get rid of this?[/SIZE]
This thread is your saving grace on getting rid of that pesky "developer warning"​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: I bought this phone off someone and do not have a proof of purchase, is my warranty still valid?[/SIZE]
When the device is first booted up and "set up," it sends HTC the serial Number and IMEI. HTC knows approximately when the phone was first purchased by this info. This means you do not need to be the original owner, or have the original proof of purchase. The warranty is still valid if it is within the warranty time period.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: My camera has an odd purple tint! What can I do to fix this?[/SIZE]
This is a common issue with the HTC One. It is a manufacture defect. There is solutions that may mask the issue, but it is only temporary and it will get worse over time.

Contact HTC support and get a replacement/repair.

Note: I talked to a Rep today about a different issue and brought up the infamous camera issue. HTC support supervisors (HTC North America at least) have instructed their employees to accept camera warranty claims even for phones out of the warranty period. This means if you get the purple tint and you are out of warranty, you can still send it in!​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is the best kernel/ROM for this phone?[/SIZE]
Stop, do not pass go. There is no "best" anything. We all have different tastes and want different features or perks. Saying one Rom is the best for me, will not be the best for anyone else. Someone might want a powerhouse "performance trumps all" setup, while someone else could care less about a thousand or more on their antutu score and would want to squeeze every minute of battery life they can.

Read the features and benefits of every Rom (or kernel) and see what suits you best. Never ask which is best, they all are great.​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

Last edited:

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Changelog:
  • 09/12/2014: initial post
  • 09/13/2014: added sim unlock Q and model name Q
  • 09/13/2014: added purple tint Q
  • 09/15/2014: added Q 12
  • 10/04/2014: Added note on purple tint Q
  • 10/22/2014: Added second method for "manual" updating the phone.

Last edited:

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Greetings,
Please remember this is not a Q&A thread ALL questions should be posted HERE
If you have suggestions for additions to the guide post here or PM the OP.

Thank You,
BD619

Reactions: brymaster5000

jpradley

Jul 6, 2010
New York
m7wlv -- m7vzw

The OP notes that this about the HTC One m7wlv. But we often see it called m7vzw. Explain this, please.

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
The OP notes that this about the HTC One m7wlv. But we often see it called m7vzw. Explain this, please.

The official code name for the Verizon one is wlv (just check what it says when you do fastboot getvar all). Unofficially, people use the term vzw as that is the Carrier it is branded for. I will add that info in the FAQ.

Sent from my One using XDA Free mobile app

brymaster5000

Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Wlv essentially stands for world LTE Verizon. Sprint is wls. We have wwe phones. Other carriers and European ones are u and ul. U for universal gsm, and ul for universal lte.

Sent from my Lunar Ecliptic One.

Reactions: Uzephi

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Added the time old question almost every new person asks when they freshly root their shiny phone.

If you see a question you have seen asked in the m7wlv (or even the m7u forum that applies to us) that I missed, let me know, and I will mention you in the change log for that question.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Added a note to OP. It is also below. I had to contact HTC support for an issue with my wife's phone, and found some nice info. Also suggested to HTC about adding DSP to stock. The tech said they accept suggestions to improve their products. Hopefully they listen to it...

"Note: I talked to a Rep today about a different issue and brought up the infamous camera issue. HTC support supervisors (HTC North America at least) have instructed their employees to accept camera warranty claims even for phones out of the warranty period. This means if you get the purple tint and you are out of warranty, you can still send it in!"

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Edited Q7 to add a new method to update the phone when not on Verizon's network. I stumbled across this one when returning my wife's phone to stock (I like using the signed 2.x.y.z ruu)

Sent from my HTC6500LVWBLU using XDA Free mobile app

krrish56

Sep 30, 2014
Can I use this for an At&t htc? I didn't find a GPE in AT&T section.

Can I use this for an At&t htc? I didn't find a GPE in AT&T section.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Verizon HTC One (M7wlv)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: can I SIM unlock this phone for other carriers?[/SIZE]
    The m7wlv comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It only works on certain frequencies. See if your carrier supports the below frequencies.
    CDMA: 800/1900MHZ,
    UMTS/HSPA: 900/2100MHz,
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz,
    LTE: 700MHz (Band 13)(only Verizon uses this LTE band thus far)​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why did you refer it to m7wlv?[/SIZE]
    That is the board code name. It is also referred to as the m7vzw (named after the carrier) and HTC6500LVW (Model name, also seen in build prop as HTC6500LVWBLU for the Best Buy blue variant). You can call it what you want as it still means this model.

All names said above are used in the build.prop file. When you refer to a device, you usually refer it with the board name, which is m7wlv​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Is root possible with (OS version here)?[/SIZE]
    Even though Verizon has blocked HTCdev access to unlock our bootloaders, thanks to jcase, beaups, and a few others, every release is unlockable and can attain S-off status.
    • Rumrunner(1.10.605.2, 1.10.605.8, 1.10.605.10, 1.10.605.15)
    • Firewater(2.10.605.1, 3.11.605.1)(Firewater shut down, so use Sunshine for these two firmwares as well)
    • Sunshine(4.10.605.3, 5.28.605.2) (costs $25 after successful test to ensure unlock and S-off works for the release version)
    To find your firmware version, go to settings - about phone - software version.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I have x issue and need to return to stock, How do I do this?[/SIZE]
    Be sure you read and follow directions closely! There has been many incidences where people didn't follow the instructions and had a permabrick on their hands! Do NOT go S-on until you are 100% sure you are fully stock from a good RUU flash.
    How to: return to stock Locked/S-On

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I am having an issue with data/wifi/call signal. Should I return it as it is defective?[/SIZE]
    There is an uncommon occurrence on newer HTC devices where they sometimes get signal issues after a new ROM flash. This isn't hardware related (90% of the time). Something happens where the radio partition gets corrupt after a ROM flash. The way to resolve this is:
    • Back up your /system and /data partition in custom recovery
    • reboot to bootloader
    • Plug your phone into the PC
    • Flash stock recovery from here
    • Flash radio/firmware from here
    • type "fastboot erase cache"
    • Perform a "Factory Reset" by selecting the option from bootloader
    • Flash your custom recovery
    • restore /system and /data

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I don't want to unlock or S-off yet. How can I install the latest OTApkg.zip (I am not on Verizon's network)?[/SIZE]
    Even without s-off and no root, you can still utilize the OTApkg.zip.
    • You need to put it on your device's storage.
    • Boot to stock recovery, exclamation point/phone image appears, then press volume up and power to get to the stock recovery menu.
    • Choose install update from sd card.
    • Select OTApkg.zip and let it do its thing.

There is another method I recently just did personally. The new HTC Sync app will search for updates on our phone and prompt to install the most recent update. The app will download the update and install it automagically for you. It doesn't matter what version you are on, it will update to the latest update the first time without having to install each one individually.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Help! How do I recover from this brick?[/SIZE]
    What was the last thing you did before your device wouldn't boot?
    I was going to flash a custom rom. I wiped everything, even internal storage! Why can't we have an external SD card?!
    All is not lost!
    while in recovery:
    Put your ROM file in the same folder as ADB
    "adb push your_rom_filename.zip /sdcard/"
    Back out so you can click on the install file on sdcard option and viola...

I don't know what I did! I cannot get into recovery, or boot up past the HTC splash screen!
    Never Fear!
    RUU to the rescue! Follow that link and the instructions precisely. WARNING: doing and RUU will wipe the internal SD and return the phone to "Out of box" condition (except you will still be s-off and unlocked)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: After I rooted and flashed a custom recovery, I have this annoying red text on boot up. How do I get rid of this?[/SIZE]
    This thread is your saving grace on getting rid of that pesky "developer warning"​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: I bought this phone off someone and do not have a proof of purchase, is my warranty still valid?[/SIZE]
    When the device is first booted up and "set up," it sends HTC the serial Number and IMEI. HTC knows approximately when the phone was first purchased by this info. This means you do not need to be the original owner, or have the original proof of purchase. The warranty is still valid if it is within the warranty time period.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: My camera has an odd purple tint! What can I do to fix this?[/SIZE]
    This is a common issue with the HTC One. It is a manufacture defect. There is solutions that may mask the issue, but it is only temporary and it will get worse over time.

Contact HTC support and get a replacement/repair.

Note: I talked to a Rep today about a different issue and brought up the infamous camera issue. HTC support supervisors (HTC North America at least) have instructed their employees to accept camera warranty claims even for phones out of the warranty period. This means if you get the purple tint and you are out of warranty, you can still send it in!​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is the best kernel/ROM for this phone?[/SIZE]
    Stop, do not pass go. There is no "best" anything. We all have different tastes and want different features or perks. Saying one Rom is the best for me, will not be the best for anyone else. Someone might want a powerhouse "performance trumps all" setup, while someone else could care less about a thousand or more on their antutu score and would want to squeeze every minute of battery life they can.

Read the features and benefits of every Rom (or kernel) and see what suits you best. Never ask which is best, they all are great.​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    Added a note to OP. It is also below. I had to contact HTC support for an issue with my wife's phone, and found some nice info. Also suggested to HTC about adding DSP to stock. The tech said they accept suggestions to improve their products. Hopefully they listen to it...

"Note: I talked to a Rep today about a different issue and brought up the infamous camera issue. HTC support supervisors (HTC North America at least) have instructed their employees to accept camera warranty claims even for phones out of the warranty period. This means if you get the purple tint and you are out of warranty, you can still send it in!"

Greetings,
    Please remember this is not a Q&A thread ALL questions should be posted HERE
    If you have suggestions for additions to the guide post here or PM the OP.

Thank You,
    BD619
    Wlv essentially stands for world LTE Verizon. Sprint is wls. We have wwe phones. Other carriers and European ones are u and ul. U for universal gsm, and ul for universal lte.

Sent from my Lunar Ecliptic One.