FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

XDABBEB's VS985 - 3.1.1

1,248 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,287

By xdabbeb, Inactive Recognized Developer on 22nd October 2015, 10:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
!!! PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING !!!
!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS THAT OCCUR WHILE INSTALLING/USING THIS !!!

Please follow the XDA rules. This is a development thread, not a Q & A or opinion thread. If your post isn't related directly to development (within reason), it will be ignored and/or reported to the moderators. Speculation/flaming/attacks/rants will not be tolerated.

This is a heavily modified/gutted stock LG fw based on their 48a release. My goal was to get as close to an AOSP weight as an OEM LG fw distro can get while still having everything work. I have also added functionality that wasn't present in the stock fw. Due to my schedule I won't have time to add different options for other people, etc. As the name implies, this is just how I run my phone.

Features:
Quote:

• Xdabbeb Kernel 3.0.0 w/kcal (thanks @savoca) and adrenoidler (thanks @arter97) support
  • Removed ALL unnecessary Verizon apps, checks, services
  • Removed most unnecessary LG apps
  • Removed/disabled/modified many system services, receivers/listeners, loggers, etc in framework and elsewhere
  • QuickButton hotkey customization (longpress Vol + from lockscreen and Capture+ navbar button)
  • EPM Reboot to recovery (longpress "Power off and restart")
  • Hotspost Provision mod for VZW UDP
  • Mini view
  • Multi-User
  • Call record
  • Call reject
  • Flashlight QuickSetting
  • Increased volume steps (30-music, 15-others)
  • Added photo/video resolutions to stock camera
  • Torch Toggle app (Set as quickbutton hotkey app to activate flashlight via Vol+ longpress from lock screen. More settings inside app)
  • Access to all VZW/LG Hidden menus, LTE band selection, network/carrier configs, etc (dial *#LGMENU#*985#, ##PROGRAM985, ##DEBUG, ##FEATURE, ##AATEST)
  • Extra fonts (including proper/full Roboto)
  • Remove mobile data type icon while Wi-Fi is active
  • More I can't remember

How to Install:
Quote:

1. Peform a full nandroid backup.
  2. Flash the 35B bootstack zip found below. I have provided 12b and 24b bootstack zips for use with other firmware.
  3. Wipe data/cache within twrp. You should leave internal storage alone. If you fail perform this step and have any issues while running the firmware, start this whole install process again and follow this step before posting.
  4. Flash the latest firmware version below after verifying the md5.
  5. Kernel/Firmware options:
    • This is a trimmed down kernel built for speed/stability/efficiency.
    • Tune CAF touchboost by creating /sdcard/touchboost file and rebooting. If the file is empty, boost freq is 1036800 Hz. If you want a different one, just put the value inside the text file (no spaces). Valid options are (0, 422400, 652800, 729600, 883200, 960000, 1036800, 1190400, 1267200, 1497600, 1574400, 1728000, 1958400, 2265600, 2457600). ***NOTE: 0 = off
    • Tune LG's interactive gov more for battery life vs performance by creating /sdcard/battery file and rebooting.
    • Disable LG oversharpening (thanks to @savoca) by creating /sdcard/sharpfix file and rebooting.
    • Enable adreno idler by creating /sdcard/adrenoidler file and rebooting.
    • Enable SEAndroid permissive mode by creating /sdcard/permissive file and rebooting.
    • Toggle MultiUser on/off by creating /sdcard/multiuser file and rebooting TWICE
    • Toggle autorun popup with USB connection on/off by creating /sdcard/autorun file and rebooting TWICE
    • Toggle miracast on/off by creating /sdcard/miracast file and rebooting (by default this is OFF)
    • Disable even more apps (after initial setup ONLY) by creating /sdcard/disableapps and rebooting (revert by creating /sdcard/enableapps and rebooting) *NOTE: Among the apps disabled are LG's Home and Keyboard, so make sure you have 3rd-party ones installed first. View the full list and add your own by checking the contents of /system/etc/init.d/98xdabbeb
  6. If you wish to restore data using Titanium Backup or some other app, you are welcome to do so, but if you encounter problems, you must follow these steps again WITHOUT restoring data before posting.

Changelog:
Quote:

Version 3.1.1:

• Fixed hotspot provision
  • Allow stock camera app UI to display properly @ BOTH 560/640 dpi
Version 3.1.0:
  • Updated bundled SuperSU to 2.78-SR1 to fix vulnerability
  • Added photo/video resolutions to stock camera app
  • Fixed stock camera app UI to display properly @ 560 dpi
Version 3.0.0:
  • Initial MM Release
Version 2.0.0:
  • Initial LP Release - KK release (1.0.0) was/is only for my testing

Downloads:
Quote:

NOTE: AFH provides md5 checksums of all downloads on their site. Please verify them before installing.

Bootstacks:
35B
24B
12B

Firmware/Patches:
XDABBEB's VS985 3.1.1
XDABBEB's VS985 2.0.0

2.0.0 Add-ons/Mods:
35B VVM
35B File Manager
3Minit battery mod + remove Lockscreen circle - courtesy of @netookska05

Quote:

• Brut.all & iBotPeaches - apktool
  • JesusFreke - smali/baksmali
  • Team Codefire - bump
  • Team Win - TWRP

Before posting about any issues, make sure that you have followed the install directions explicitly (including wiping data and NOT restoring backed-up data). If you are using a 3rd-party kernel, you must revert to the included kernel first. You must provide DETAILED steps to reproduce the issue along with a log if appropriate or your post will be ignored/moved/deleted/etc. If you don't know how to get a log, HERE is a good tutorial. There is also an excellent app available on the Play Store called SysLog that you can use on your phone.

Devs: I will provide flashable zips or tutorials for any included apps/modifications that I intend to share. I do not authorize anything else to be shared, used or uploaded elsewhere.

XDA:DevDB Information
XDABBEB's VS985, ROM for the Verizon LG G3

Contributors
xdabbeb
ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: VS98535B Bootstack
Based On: Stock LG fw

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.1.1
Stable Release Date: 2016-09-20

Created 2015-10-22
Last Updated 2016-09-20
The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to xdabbeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdabbeb Ad-Free

22nd October 2015, 10:56 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
FAQ:
Quote:

1. What's a bootstack?
    • Our devices have a number of partitions that all work together to give us a functioning smartphone. Every time LG releases a new firmware there are certain partitions that get updated (aboot, dbi, factory, laf, modem, rpm, sbl1, tz). This subset of partitions was given the arbitrary label "bootstack" at one point and the term stuck. They have been grouped together here in flashable zips and are referenced by their corresponding official LG version code (12b, 24b, 35b).
      NOTE: Though the "modem" and "aboot" (bootloader) partitions are included, these terms are NOT synonymous with bootstack.
  2. Which bootstack do I need?
    • You want the one that your firmware (in particular the kernel and certain binaries) is made to work with. This firmware is made to work with the 35b set of partitions. Other kernels/roms may want to see a 24b set of partitions. A KitKat 12b-based rom will want the 12b set, etc etc. It's up to the dev to declare which one is appropriate.
  3. What are all of these partitions?
    • An in-depth analysis of them is beyond the scope of this thread, so if you're really interested I suggest doing your own research. VERY briefly, however: aboot = bootloader, dbi = qcom data bus inversion/signaling, factory = bootable/haven't looked into it much, laf = bootable/download mode, modem = self-explanatory, persist = ext4/store persistent info across updates (rooted flags, etc), rct = more root check, rpm = elf binary/power management, sbl1 = secondary boot loader/QCom secure boot, tz = elf binary/QCom trustzone secure exec
  4. Will I lose root or ability to get into recovery if I flash one of the bootstack zips?
    • No. Each of the zips I have posted still has the exploitable 12b aboot (bootloader) so you're fine. If you overthink it and muck something up, that's beyond my control, however.
  5. I really liked "X" LG/Verizon feature/app. Can you add it back for me?
    • Sorry, but I won't. In addition to the fact that I have limited time for this sort of thing, that's not the point of this fw. Though I have added a number of features that aren't in LG's stock distro, I spent even more time removing what I felt was unecessary/gimmicky. Though you're welcome to tailor it after the fact to your liking, I would caution that it often isn't simply a matter of putting an apk back in place. I have made changes throughout the framework, kernel, etc to reduce the overhead and increase the performance/multitasking of this fw. It's much closer to AOSP in terms of weight, while still maintaining the reliability of stock fw. If you wish to create a patch/zip (and test it thoroughly yourself first) to add certain things back in I would be happy to add it to the OP as an add-on.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to xdabbeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdabbeb Ad-Free
22nd October 2015, 10:56 PM |#3  

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xdabbeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdabbeb Ad-Free
22nd October 2015, 11:36 PM |#4  
Flag Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 294

More
Great to see ya here! I was a loyal follower on the G2!
The Following User Says Thank You to tholmes8291 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tholmes8291 Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 12:07 AM |#5  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Awesome, thanks xdabbeb. Did you modify the 35b bootstack so we can use the 35b modem and custom recovery? Cause that would be hot.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdwg71 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigdwg71 Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 12:12 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdwg71

Awesome, thanks xdabbeb. Did you modify the 35b bootstack so we can use the 35b modem and custom recovery? Cause that would be hot.

A fellow Bostonian! Nice.

Yes, it's the full 35b bootstack (obviously minus the 12b bump-friendly bootloader). Your existing recovery will work just fine with it. I've been on it for a week and everything works properly (including HD Voice/Video).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xdabbeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdabbeb Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 01:35 AM |#7  
Flag Boston, MA

More
Ha! Go Pats!

So what do we lose them without the bump'd boatloader? I thought that was pretty crucial to custom roms with LGs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigdwg71 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigdwg71 Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 01:48 AM |#8  
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I'm incredibly intrigued. I might just have to flash this later..

Does this flash like an ordinary ROM? Will I be able to revert to a different ROM easily?
23rd October 2015, 01:50 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Ha. Yes, indeed #pinkstripes

I think you may have a misunderstanding of what bump is/does. The BL is not ever what is "bumped"...it's the bootable partitions (boot, recovery, etc). The reason you need to stick with the older/KK 12b bootloader is that LG patched the exploit starting with their LP fw releases on both G2 and G3. I just took a quick look around and it doesn't seem that anyone really put together the appropriate sets of partitions (bootstacks) for the VS985 users, so you can use the three above for everything you need. If you want to have a better understanding of what a bootstack is, etc, read the sticky resources thread I have the top of the VS980 dev section.

tl;dr You aren't losing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrabbitman

Does this flash like an ordinary ROM? Will I be able to revert to a different ROM easily?

yes x2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xdabbeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdabbeb Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 02:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Yay! Xdabbeb is on the lg g3 now! 😜
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonstaSaleens For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MonstaSaleens Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 02:15 AM |#11  
Flag Boston, MA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdabbeb

Ha. Yes, indeed #pinkstripes

I think you may have a misunderstanding of what bump is/does. The BL is not ever what is "bumped"...it's the bootable partitions (boot, recovery, etc). The reason you need to stick with the older/KK 12b bootloader is that LG patched the exploit starting with their LP fw releases on both G2 and G3. I just took a quick look around and it doesn't seem that anyone really put together the appropriate sets of partitions (bootstacks) for the VS985 users, so you can use the three above for everything you need. If you want to have a better understanding of what a bootstack is, etc, read the sticky resources thread I have the top of the VS980 dev section.

tl;dr You aren't losing anything.

yes x2

Thanks xdabbeb! I'll check it out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)