[Mod] Unlock Verizon Hidden Menu

Search This thread

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
After I moved the .apk to the /system/app and restarted, I put this in the adb on my computer:
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu

The hiddenmenu popped up but all it said was null
After rereading your posts, I just noticed that you added to one of them that your running cm... This won't work on aosp, only stock lg roms.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

tAheEr73

Mar 1, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-24-16-50-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-24-16-50-19.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 289

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
please see attched screen shot , my g3 terminal emulator says "hiddenmenu not found" , what can i do,
please help
Where in the instructions did it say to type just "hiddenmenu"? - nevemnd I see it now.

You need to make sure you followed the directions to the T. Did you paste the apk in the correct folder? Did you set permissions? Did you reboot?
Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tAheEr73

Mar 1, 2013
Where in the instructions did it say to type just "hiddenmenu"? - nevemnd I see it now.

You need to make sure you followed the directions to the T. Did you paste the apk in the correct folder? Did you set permissions? Did you reboot?

Thanks, copied in system/app folder but permission is not being set, its getting error (see attached pics) and guide me please ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-25-11-08-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-25-11-08-38.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot_2015-11-25-11-08-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-25-11-08-46.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 282

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
Thanks, copied in system/app folder but permission is not being set, its getting error (see attached pics) and guide me please ...

Make sure your file browser has root permissions. Possibly try a different browser app. Alternatively you could boot to twrp and change the permissions. Once you set permissions, you have three options to get to the menu; the terminal instructions in the OP, the dial code in the OP, or the instructions in post #5 (the first and last lines are important, read them till you understand them).

tAheEr73

Mar 1, 2013
Make sure your file browser has root permissions. Possibly try a different browser app. Alternatively you could boot to twrp and change the permissions. Once you set permissions, you have three options to get to the menu; the terminal instructions in the OP, the dial code in the OP, or the instructions in post #5 (the first and last lines are important, read them till you understand them).

How to do that "s i tuffed the "am..." line in file hidden menu" in the post #5? how to do that or where can i found this am type file stuff?
actually on my G3 adb does not work , i have only two option when cable connected with my laptop see attatched screen shot...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-37-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-37-27.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 929
  • paint.png
    paint.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 923

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
How to do that "s i tuffed the "am..." line in file hidden menu" in the post #5? how to do that or where can i found this am type file stuff?
actually on my G3 adb does not work , i have only two option when cable connected with my laptop see attatched screen shot...
Just use the dialer method in the op.

tAheEr73

Mar 1, 2013
Just use the dialer method in the op.

Much thanks .... with two type of dialer codes, i get these two different options ...
in both there is no detailed list like thermal etc ... see attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-55-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-55-51.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-56-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-26-11-56-16.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,017

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014

Reread the first post, line by line. Then reread post #5.

steady_1994

Dec 3, 2015
I hope you can help me

hello,i am a chinese boy.my english is poor,I hope you can help me to solve some problems .
i bought a vs985 last week.but there is a noise at the maximum sound speaker. so i find here.
i have already entered the hidden menu. so what should i do. i fund the audio in setting.but it does not work.
how can i set?
If you can help me I am very grateful to you.

D

Deleted member 5533729

After rereading your posts, I just noticed that you added to one of them that your running cm... This won't work on aosp, only stock lg roms.

Ack! I should've read all the posts first, I just wasted an hour and a half trying to make this work. :(

I know this thread is two years old but it would be nice if you pointed out the stock-rom-only in the OP.

hanarachu

Sep 29, 2016
try this to open hidden menu for lg g3 vs985 > digitdirect.in/2016/09/how-to-enable-4g-lte-on-lg-g3.html

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
A stupid question, please help me how to dial "PROGRAM985"(these are letters , not numbers) really do not understand and do not know how to enter in.... Many Many Many thanks
Most numbers on the dial pad have letters above or below them. You type the number that is on the same key as the letter you want. You don't actually type a letter in the dial pad.

Reactions: Fish_fone

Fish_fone

Oct 12, 2016
Ho Chi Minh
Most numbers on the dial pad have letters above or below them. You type the number that is on the same key as the letter you want. You don't actually type a letter in the dial pad.
I used to think about that, but how can i type "R", example: "P"=7, PROGRAM = ???(i can type 7 for P, but i can not type "R"-it denfinitly 7 again). That makes me stuck there, really confusing! Please guide me how to type full "PROGAME" 1 time then i can dail others one friend, thank you very very very much:rolleyes:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I used to think about that, but how can i type "R", example: "P"=7, PROGRAM = ???(i can type 7 for P, but i can not type "R"-it denfinitly 7 again). That makes me stuck there, really confusing! Please guide me how to type full "PROGAME" 1 time then i can dail others one friend, thank you very very very much:rolleyes:

PR = 77

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -All credit for this method belongs to @xdabbeb from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2467302 All I did was gather the necessary elements and test to see if this would work on the G3 as it did on the G2.
    -Please thank him for the great work he has done for finding and executing this method originally for the Verizon G2.
    -Another shout out to @rickleasa for extracting and providing the hiddenmenu.apk from the AT&T G3 rom.

So Verizon as usual has hidden some features from the stock lg rom that other variants have access to, in this case the hidden menu that is typically accessed via a code entered into the dialer. This method will unlock this option for us - though you will not be able to access it via the dialer (well, not that I know of...yet), its accessed through adb or terminal.

Step 1: Download the hiddenmenu.apk at the link at the bottom of the post. The apk is unaltered (not deodexed) from the AT&T build. The Odex file is not needed.

Step 2: Manually past the apk into system/app and set permissions to rw-r-r- using your preferred root file manager, then reboot.

Step 3: From adb: (assuming you have adb set up and operational) type adb shell (then enter), su (then enter), and enter the command, or from terminal: type su (then hit enter) to gain root, then enter the command (press enter after entering or pasting the command). Command here:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu

-The hidden menu will then open up and your good to start breaking your phone as you see fit!!
    -The most common use for this is to fix Knock-on if you ever break it (Flashing international ports has a tendency to break hardware functions). This is done by accessing the hidden menu and going to HW Device Test/Touch Test/Touch Firmware Upgrade. Wait 10 seconds after updating to see if the fix worked.
    -You can do lots of damage in there so be careful!! There's also many other fun things to do as well.

If someone finds a dial code that will execute this menu after the apk is installed, please post it :good:

Updated Codes: Verizon Hidden Enable/Disable menu: ##3328873 + send + 000000
    Here's what you'll get:
    a3ybuvyq.jpg
    This can also be run from Android Terminal Emulator on the phone. I stuffed the "am..." line into a file called "hiddenmenu", put that in /system/bin/

-Launch Terminal Emulator
    -su
    -hiddenmenu
    Hidden Menu will launch
    Back in Terminal Emulator:
    -exit
    -exit

The above may also need busybox -- not sure, as I had already installed that app.
    HiddenMenu would likely be a "No" for stopping VZW OTA, since you can't actually get to that setting.

Freezing System updates (and maybe keychain?) will likely work, though I'm waiting for someone more experienced to chime in.
    Yes, freezing system updates will stop any ota from auto installing, but will also stop any ota notification (you won't know if one is available). LG handles OTA's differently from other manufacturers where you can disable the action of installing an ota separately from being notified of one. Also, on the g2 (and I assume the g3), you had to manually allow the ota to install, it wouldn't do it on its own, but why risk it? Freeze it, and I'm sure you'll still know when there's an ota here on xda immediately.
    In this mod described here http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/development/mod-root-rid-lag-g3-t2819365 other variants are changing the "High Temperature Property" setting from OFF to ON to achieve a lag free device. We do not have that setting in our hidden menu, but fear not as most operations called for on other variants are usually in ours, just worded differently. We have a setting called "Thermal Daemon Mitigation" that xda user @Berzerker7 has been testing out for the past few hours. It seems that this is in fact our version of the "High Temperature Property" setting. I haven't had time to test this out personally so I would like to get some more testers to verify if this is in fact the same setting and offers the expected results described in @stefan063 thread linked above. I'll update the OP once I have some more info on this.

WARNING! This setting HAS the potential to cause serious damage to your device. It is in theory similar to overclocking and can cook your phone if used improperly - experienced users only!! You have been warned...:cool: