*CAUTION* Warnings & Info About the VS98535B 5.1.1 OTA

Search This thread

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Glad to still be on a KitKat stock rooted, debloated, Skydragon4 kernel vs985. I have never accepted a single OTA on this device.

I do have a spare laptop that I once set up to perform a .tot back to the original shipped stock. I did that once, when I first got the vs985, before Stump was available, just so I could be sure I could recover to the original shipped state.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Ill-founded Derogatory Remark removed by moderator

Not sure what you mean by that. Just lucky, I guess.

What I was getting at was that I have a tested system all set up if someone like theroadwarrior would like me to plug in his vs985 which is currently stuck on the wicked Verizon 5.1.1 OTA without root or kdz rollback. It is not totally certain that the old original .TOT method back to v10b will not work, is it ?

Just hate to see my old friends stuck due to Verizon being evil.

Last edited by a moderator:

timboger

May 26, 2010
Ardmore, AL
Wireless charging works for me.

My wife's phone and my second g3 both stopped charging wirelessly after the 5.1.1 update.
I'm not going to update my other g3 until the kdz is released.

Edit: Turns out my wife and I both had a bad update. I used repair assistant and wireless charging is working again.

Last edited:

roflhorse

May 28, 2009
Running jasmine, and I can't get the stupid update installer pop up to die. Any way to remove the notification?

BoulderGeek

Sep 9, 2010
Woo hoo, got my G3 last night (replacing a shattered GS4). As soon as I activated it with my old SIM, the OTA started in.

Very happy to have rooted this morning and gotten tiBu to stop the update nonsense. Now, with Hotspot working again, I can get to exploring this powerful new-to-me device.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean by that. Just lucky, I guess.

What I was getting at was that I have a tested system all set up if someone like theroadwarrior would like me to plug in his vs985 which is currently stuck on the wicked Verizon 5.1.1 OTA without root or kdz rollback. It is not totally certain that the old original .TOT method back to v10b will not work, is it ?

Just hate to see my old friends stuck due to Verizon being evil.

Well thanks! ? At least one or two users couldn't get TOT to work after this OTA. Doesn't surprise me since downgrading to an old KDZ didn't work either.

[VK810.4G] [altev] [ViKtory810ROM] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 36B_00 5.0.2
[VK810.4G] [altev] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 36B_00 5.0.2 DEBLOAT SCRIPTS and copies of all the files they remove
[VK810.4G] [altev] OTAs, .IMGs and KDZs, oh my

hokiealumnus

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
This may be a stupid question. Is there a way to intercept the download from repair assistant and could it be used to make a rooted rom or a kdz?
Repair assistant should just download the update file, which is only ~350MB iirc. The KDZ is a full ROM install and, even compressed as it is, is about 1.8GB. What I'm saying is that they aren't the same and it wouldn't work. Not a bad idea, I probably asked at one point. Unfortunately it's not viable.

timboger

May 26, 2010
Ardmore, AL
Repair assistant should just download the update file, which is only ~350MB iirc. The KDZ is a full ROM install and, even compressed as it is, is about 1.8GB. What I'm saying is that they aren't the same and it wouldn't work. Not a bad idea, I probably asked at one point. Unfortunately it's not viable.

The file that downloaded was 1.62 GB. Does that make a difference?

Reactions: hawkswind1

timboger

May 26, 2010
Ardmore, AL
Well now, that's very interesting. Truthfully, I do not know. Can you find the file on your PC? Does it have a file extension?

Anybody know what extracts KDZ files? Can 7zip do it?

The file is 1.63GB and is VS98535B_00_ARB00.kdz

I extracted the kdz and got VS98535B.dz and LGUP8974.dll

Now when I extract the dz file I get a bunch of .bin files (aboot, boot, modem, recovery, system, etc) 37 files in all.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is worth a shot to use the LGUP8974.dll included with the 35B KDZ to try to flash the VS98510B_03.tot. I will try tomorrow. if it fails, I will use my insurance to replace the phone.

It worked I have downgraded and obtained root. You must TOT flash back to 10b using the dll attached. then kdz flash to 12c. root and install recovery.
    **NOTE** There is no reason to take this OTA any more. There are two custom-stock ROMs based on 35B. See "Edit III" below for links!

Well, it is confirmed beyond any reasonable doubt that this build can't be rooted. The currently known root method for 5.1.1 LG devices, along with every prior root method all fail. **Note attempting root will take your Software Status to "Modified", even though the actual root fails. We do not know whether this will prevent taking future OTAs at this juncture.

More importantly, this build cannot be downgraded using the KDZ method. You can, in fact, downgrade using the TOT method. See EDIT II at the bottom of this post.

It's interesting to note that the Verizon G3 update page has this to say about 35B:
    Upgrade to Android™ Lollipop v5.1.1, which features a new interface and tighter security features
    That could be innocuous, or it could be precisely why we can't root or downgrade any more. I'm guessing the latter.

So please, consider yourself warned, for now if you upgrade to build 35B (which is the LG/Verizon official 5.1.1 Lollipop update), there is no going back and there is no root. I'll certainly update the OP with any developments that come along.

If anybody hears about a new root method for LG phones, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll be happy to investigate it. Would that I were smart enough to figure out how to root phones myself, but that's beyond my abilities. Godspeed everyone already on 35B.

Big thanks to:
    @roirraW "edor" ehT for coming along with me and being a fellow guinea pig, helping test and verify all of these problems.
    @Unjustified Dev for attempting to help try and get this thing rooted.

Trying to look at the bright side, if you see my comments about performance and battery life, this build is actually quite good, especially for stock LG/VZW, so good on them for actually putting out usable, well-written software (unlike their 5.0.2 build).

EDIT - The KDZ file is now available for build 35B. Get it on AFH Here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347834649 or straight from LG here: http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW5EEB7232L2ATO02223HOO/VS98535B_00_ARB00.kdz

Remember, you cannot root this build right now. You've been warned. This is posted essentially for people that are already on 35B and experimenting with rooting. Now we can get back to 'official' status if we want.

EDIT II - We can now downgrade! Thanks to @agh1701 for figuring that out. You need to download a DLL file (see post #84) and use the TOT method (instructions here).

EDIT III - Stock-based ROM builds using 35B as the base:
    SkyDragon 6.0.1 (comes complete with a custom kernel!) by @HolyAngel
    Jasmine 9.0 by @hsbadr
    Hmm.. Well thanks for the kdz guys! Can easily make a rooted rom from the images. However everyone currently on it is stuck. I do hope someone figures out a root method for you guys as that sucks :(

Kingo root and other Chinese apps like that work off an easily accessible ramdisk, if you had an unlocked bootloader or a way to alter the stock boot.img then you could root no problem on lollipop but without it its very difficult thanks to selinux. Sucks Verizon would block downgrading on this release after never doing so on the last like 10 releases...

Anyways, thanks again, and good luck to any efforts to root it. I'll see if I can find anything too myself.
    KDZ is now up! https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347834649

Remember, you cannot root this build right now and you CAN NOT DOWNGRADE. You've been warned.
    I haven't tried that no. Just got re-official status again too. Would someone already modified mind trying it?

------

So....thanks to @timboger , we now have an official 35B KDZ file! He even already extracted it and I have uploaded the image files to share with @HolyAngel & @hsbadr . That doesn't help those of us that are on 35B un-rooted, but it can at least get other non-stuck people the new build. I'm still holding out hope that we'll get working root, but in the mean time at least we aren't stuck in non-rooted modified land.

See...I'm back to official! :)

35B-official.jpg

Please accept my apologies that the KDZ isn't up yet. I was at ~30% and AFH's FTP server went down and has not come back up. I'll try again tonight.