FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Help updating from stock ROOTED 4.4.2 to 5.1.1

632 posts
Thanks Meter: 108

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys, I apologize for the n00b questions (I am rather Android savvy and have been around for years) but I haven't been following this phone's scene for over a year, and I'm having trouble finding the info I need, especially now that people are messing with Marshmallow too.

I have a Verizon G3 currently on 4.4.2. Here is a screenshot of my Software Info, should answer build/baseband questions:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-24-13-29-36.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	3694809

It's the stock ROM, but I am rooted, with TWRP installed, and am running Skydragon kernel currently. I stayed on 4.4.2 all this time because I was happy enough with it, and, at the time, Xposed wasn't available for 5.x. However, I'm having some serious issues with the phone as of late, that I'm sure a fresh install would fix, and it's "that time" to start back over. And as long as I'm doing that, I'd like to get the phone on a newer version.

As I understand it, Verizon has a 5.1.1 official update now (don't know the build number?), that's what I'd like to install. I'm OK with a stock ROM (or very close to stock). But I do not want to lose root, or wipe my DATA partition, etc; so taking the OTA is out of the question.

Can someone please let me know what I should do "today" to update my phone to 5.1.1 stock(ish), without losing root, or my data partition etc. Along with any baseband / bootloader updates I'd need etc? Links appreciated, linking me to a tutorial/steps is fine.

Thank you very much in advance!
24th March 2016, 07:18 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 5,013

Donate to Me
More
Howdy! Use the built-in LG Backup to back up your user apps and data, and select system data, then follow the instructions in @xdabbeb 's VS985 v2.0 ROM thread in the Development section. Once you're updated, use LG Backup to restore your apps and data. You'll have to go to the main Xposed thread for the Xposed installation files, of course, and some of your Xposed apps might have Marshmallow-specific flavors such as G3TweaksBox, if you use that.

Edit: Of course, make sure your TWRP is updated to v2.8.7.0 or 3.0.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roirraW "edor" ehT Ad-Free
24th March 2016, 07:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Webster, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT

Howdy! Use the built-in LG Backup to back up your user apps and data, and select system data, then follow the instructions in @xdabbeb 's VS985 v2.0 ROM thread in the Development section. Once you're updated, use LG Backup to restore your apps and data. You'll have to go to the main Xposed thread for the Xposed installation files, of course, and some of your Xposed apps might have Marshmallow-specific flavors such as G3TweaksBox, if you use that.

Edit: Of course, make sure your TWRP is updated to v2.8.7.0 or 3.0.0.

I use Titanium Backup, can I use that instead?
Will this keep root?

Thanks!
24th March 2016, 08:03 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus

I use Titanium Backup, can I use that instead?
Will this keep root?

Thanks!

In answer #4 of the second post of @xdabbeb 's VS985 thread.

You're welcome!

In further detail:

1. Unless a ROM you flash from custom recovery for some reason includes a non-custom (stock) recovery, you'll always have custom recovery to flash whatever you want (i.e. even if a ROM itself isn't rooted, that doesn't mean you won't have custom recovery, and therefore the easy ability to become rooted again).

2. It's pretty much a given that any custom ROM you flash already contains root. Some ROM first posts will specifically say it does. The "norm" is unless the ROM first post says it's not rooted, then it's rooted.

Edit: and yes, you can use whatever you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roirraW "edor" ehT Ad-Free
4th May 2016, 09:46 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Webster, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

In answer #4 of the second post of @xdabbeb 's VS985 thread.

You're welcome!

In further detail:

1. Unless a ROM you flash from custom recovery for some reason includes a non-custom (stock) recovery, you'll always have custom recovery to flash whatever you want (i.e. even if a ROM itself isn't rooted, that doesn't mean you won't have custom recovery, and therefore the easy ability to become rooted again).

2. It's pretty much a given that any custom ROM you flash already contains root. Some ROM first posts will specifically say it does. The "norm" is unless the ROM first post says it's not rooted, then it's rooted.

Edit: and yes, you can use whatever you want.

The debloated xdaddeb ROM for 5.1.1 seems to missing files to allow Advanced Calling and the LG Quick Circle case to work, and I haven't found anyone who knew how to fix either of these yet, and I've spents way, way too much time on my vacation that's now ending, figuring out how to myself

As well as that ROM runs missing these features is a deal breaker for me. Looks like I need a new ROM. I am not sure what 5.1.1 ROM would support both these features, other than stock? If you know of one please let me know!

If I have to flash stock 5.1.1, what's the best way to re-root it?

Thanks in advance.

This post written in Tapatalk on my LG G3
5th May 2016, 12:10 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:

The debloated xdaddeb ROM for 5.1.1 seems to missing files to allow Advanced Calling and the LG Quick Circle case to work, and I haven't found anyone who knew how to fix either of these yet, and I've spents way, way too much time on my vacation that's now ending, figuring out how to myself

when i upgraded to @xdabbeb's 47a rom, i lost advanced calling too. to get it back i logged into my verizon account, turned off advanced hd calling, waited a day, and then enabled it again. my phone automatically recognized that i had advanced calling, so there was nothing else to do on the phone end to get it working again. you may not have to wait a day. i figured it was more than enough for the change to propagate through verizon's system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altwu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altwu Ad-Free
5th May 2016, 12:57 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As well as that ROM runs missing these features is a deal breaker for me. Looks like I need a new ROM. I am not sure what 5.1.1 ROM would support both these features, other than stock? If you know of one please let me know!

If I have to flash stock 5.1.1, what's the best way to re-root it?

Thanks in advance.

I've been wanting to report that I swear I tested HD/Advanced Calling on @xdabbeb 's VS985 v2.0 ROM way back when he first released it, but it's been such a long time ago and I'm currently running 47A so I don't have enough certainty to swear by it, although @altwu 's response makes me even more sure.

There's only two other 35B-based ROMs that I'm aware of. JasmineROM 9.0 + 9.1, and SkyDragon 6.x.

Other than stock? I don't think any ROM other than a stock ROM would support Verizon's HD/Advanced Calling.

If you wanted stock 35B, I'd flash JasmineROM 9.x and any of the additional debloating I link to in my signature below (for best affect, flash the debloat zips before booting the ROM the first time). With both JasmineROM 9.x and SkyDragon 6.x, you MUST either flash the 24B bootstack (either before or after flashing the ROM) or flash the 35B bootstack (only AFTER the flashing the ROM). Failure to do so will result in a brick requiring you to temporarily return to stock unrooted, preferably via the 10B TOT because of it's ease to be rooted and install TWRP via the Stump and TWRP Manager apps.

I always root and install TWRP while on 10B, and recommend everyone do so. I'm not sure if anything besides Kingroot will root 35B and higher, and Kingroot is very untrustworty - @ xdabbeb did a lot of digging and found out just how entrenced Kingroot is after you use it to root. Also, at least on 46A and 47A - don't know about 35B, you had to re-root after every reboot when using Kingroot.
5th May 2016, 05:22 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Webster, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by altwu

when i upgraded to @xdabbeb's 47a rom, i lost advanced calling too. to get it back i logged into my verizon account, turned off advanced hd calling, waited a day, and then enabled it again. my phone automatically recognized that i had advanced calling, so there was nothing else to do on the phone end to get it working again. you may not have to wait a day. i figured it was more than enough for the change to propagate through verizon's system.

Hi @altwu - thanks for the suggestion. I tried this again. Waited overnight to enable it again thru the website. It did not work. I tried a call before and after a shutdown after re-activation, and it didn't work either time. I then tried to "Activate Advanced Calling" thru the phone again, and it said it was already active, asking me to do another power cycle, which didn't work.

To be clear, this is what I'm seeing exactly: At first the "Activate Advanced Calling" option did nothing on click. Installing the My Verizon app fixed that. After that, it asks you to activate, when I click that it says the feature is already active on my account as expected, and asks me to power off/on my device. The "Activate Advanced Calling" option becomes grayed out as expected, and it says the service has been upgraded underneath.

However, after power cycle, the option is back to normal (not grayed out). I also never get the "Advanced Calling - turn on/off HD Voice and Video Call" option in this menu that I've seen on other phones post activation. And, it doesn't work either.

I believe that missing "Advanced Calling" toggle in the menu, is indicative of what is missing or not working. I'm guessing there is an APK or service this ROM is missing that allows that option to show up, and for Advanced Calling to function.
@altwu - I'm assuming you have this second, "Advanced Calling" toggle on your phone, right? And the first option for "Activate Advanced Calling" is grayed out?
6th May 2016, 12:06 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:

@altwu - I'm assuming you have this second, "Advanced Calling" toggle on your phone, right? And the first option for "Activate Advanced Calling" is grayed out?

yup, that's what i'm seeing.

prior to upgrading to 47a, i was running jasmine 4.0, which was 4.4.2 based also. advanced calling was enabled and worked. i downgraded to 10b and then went through the all the steps to upgrade to 47a. after i installed 47a, "Activate Advanced Calling" was not grayed out and it was clickable, but i didn't click it. also, there was no fine print saying that the service was upgraded. my verizon account on the website said that advanced calling was enabled, so my phone and my account were not in sync regarding this feature. disabling the feature in my account got my account to match my phone. from there i could enable it and my phone and account would still match.

Quote:

However, after power cycle, the option is back to normal (not grayed out). I also never get the "Advanced Calling - turn on/off HD Voice and Video Call" option in this menu that I've seen on other phones post activation. And, it doesn't work either.

it sounds like your phone thinks you don't have advanced calling enabled. does that match with the setting in your account on the website? if not, disable it again in your account so it matches your phone, wait a while, and enable again. i wouldn't bother with the My Verizon app, since it's one more variable in the mix. but if you want a challenge and somehow get your phone, account, and My Verizon app to all show the same advanced calling status, then i'd say you're golden.

as a last resort, call verizon for help. i know it's painful to talk to them. they should be able to push advanced calling enable/disable signals to your phone right away so you don't have to play the waiting game.
The Following User Says Thank You to altwu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altwu Ad-Free
6th May 2016, 02:44 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Webster, NY

Donate to Me
More
Unhappy
Quote:

With both JasmineROM 9.x and SkyDragon 6.x, you MUST either flash the 24B bootstack (either before or after flashing the ROM) or flash the 35B bootstack (only AFTER the flashing the ROM).

One of the things I wondered is if the 35B bootstack or modem was to blame for HD Voice not working on XDABBEB's 35B ROM, since both Jasmine and SkyDragon used 24B bootstacks.

I tried JUST flashing the 24B modem over top of my already working XDABBEB's 35B ROM. Sadly this resulted in me having no signal whatsoever. I had to flash the 35B modem to get signal back. But I wonder if there is a way to use the 24B modem on XDABBEB's ROM? That if it even matters. I'm grasping as straws here. I'm still leaning toward the line of thinking that XDABBEB debloated something in his ROM that broke this, especially since I can't find any reports of someone confirming ever having had HD Voice working on his 35 B ROM

BTW - is it worth even trying the 6.0 based ROM's at this point? I figured you're the guy to ask. I want to maintain ROOT and Xposed. Is there a ROM that's basically stock worth trying that support both without crazy hoops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altwu

yup, that's what i'm seeing.

prior to upgrading to 47a, i was running jasmine 4.0, which was 4.4.2 based also. advanced calling was enabled and worked. i downgraded to 10b and then went through the all the steps to upgrade to 47a. after i installed 47a, "Activate Advanced Calling" was not grayed out and it was clickable, but i didn't click it. also, there was no fine print saying that the service was upgraded. my verizon account on the website said that advanced calling was enabled, so my phone and my account were not in sync regarding this feature. disabling the feature in my account got my account to match my phone. from there i could enable it and my phone and account would still match.

it sounds like your phone thinks you don't have advanced calling enabled. does that match with the setting in your account on the website? if not, disable it again in your account so it matches your phone, wait a while, and enable again. i wouldn't bother with the My Verizon app, since it's one more variable in the mix. but if you want a challenge and somehow get your phone, account, and My Verizon app to all show the same advanced calling status, then i'd say you're golden.

as a last resort, call verizon for help. i know it's painful to talk to them. they should be able to push advanced calling enable/disable signals to your phone right away so you don't have to play the waiting game.

Basically, disabling/enabling the feature on the Verizon website seems to have no effect on my phone, EXCEPT, if I disable it on the website, I can then Activate it on my phone, after which, it asks me to wait 5 minutes and reboot. So it DOES recognize the service status, for the purpose of the Activate setting, which, seems to use the My Verizon App for functionality (because without the My Verizon app, this setting does nothing).

However, even after activating it on the phone, and rebooting as instructed, it still doesn't work. It goes right back to Activate again, without being grayed out anymore, I'm still missing the HD Voice toggle, and it doesn't actually work.

Calling Verizon I believe will be a very frustrating dead end considering I'm not running a stock ROM and I'm rooted.

I'm rather convinced that XDABBEB's 35B ROM has something debloated in it that's preventing this from working, some APK or service it's missing. I just wish I knew WHAT, so I could sideload it from another image ,ugh.

There's precious little info out there that I've found, on what exactly, Verizon's HD Voice functionality uses, in terms of apk's and services etc.

I'd really like to solve this, but I lack the base knowledge on how this operates to figure it out, which is why I'm leaning towards changing ROM's to be done with it. But I hate giving up, and I otherwise really love @xdabbeb 's 35b ROM. If only I could make it work
6th May 2016, 01:16 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

One of the things I wondered is if the 35B bootstack or modem was to blame for HD Voice not working on XDABBEB's 35B ROM, since both Jasmine and SkyDragon used 24B bootstacks.

No, quite the opposite. @hsbadr and @HolyAngel couldn't get Advanced/HD Calling working without the 35B modem, and they couldn't get the 35B modem working at all because the 35B modem requires the 35B sbl1, and neither ROM includes that. The Bootstacks include the appropriate sbl1 partition. It wasn't until @xdabbeb revealed his bootstacks and that information that we were able to use Advanced/HD Calling on a 35B ROM.

Quote:

I tried JUST flashing the 24B modem over top of my already working XDABBEB's 35B ROM. Sadly this resulted in me having no signal whatsoever. I had to flash the 35B modem to get signal back. But I wonder if there is a way to use the 24B modem on XDABBEB's ROM?

The 24B modem probably requires the 24B sbl1. You can flash the 24B bootstack on his ROM if you feel like it, but Advanced/HD Calling on a 35B ROM won't work without the 35B modem.

Quote:

BTW - is it worth even trying the 6.0 based ROM's at this point? I figured you're the guy to ask. I want to maintain ROOT and Xposed. Is there a ROM that's basically stock worth trying that support both without crazy hoops?

Depends on what you mean by worth trying. First of all, @xdabbeb distinguishes the 47A firmware from his VS985 v2.0 ROM (as opposed to the 47A one being v3.0) in that it's as completely stock as possible, while still being rooted and being capable of getting into TWRP. The 47A firmware uses the 35B Bootstack because the 47A modem requires the 47A sbl1, and the 47A sbl1 doesn't get along with the 12B aboot (bootloader) - it causes a QHSUSB_BULK 9008 brick, which can be recovered (I did twice during testing when @xdabbeb tried to work around the issue). The 12B aboot is required in order to be able to get into TWRP.

The 35B sbl1 and modem are the most recent ones that get along with the 12B aboot.

I've tested Advanced/HD Calling on 47A (I'm pretty sure even after my full debloating available in the third post of the 47A firmware thread, or in my signature below, although I'd have to verify that). It definitely worked fine for me without debloating although I didn't try the video part.

Quote:

I'm rather convinced that XDABBEB's 35B ROM has something debloated in it that's preventing this from working, some APK or service it's missing. I just wish I knew WHAT, so I could sideload it from another image ,ugh.

There's precious little info out there that I've found, on what exactly, Verizon's HD Voice functionality uses, in terms of apk's and services etc.

I'd really like to solve this, but I lack the base knowledge on how this operates to figure it out, which is why I'm leaning towards changing ROM's to be done with it. But I hate giving up, and I otherwise really love @xdabbeb 's 35b ROM. If only I could make it work

For what it's worth, I don't think it's an APK - unsure about anything else. Sorry if I've already asked this, but have you implemented any of @xdabbeb 's further option "switches" on that ROM? Like the further debloating or anything else? If so, have you tried the re-bloat switch, etc?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kitkat, lollipop, ota, root, updating

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)