Resurrecting VS985 from the drawer..

Search This thread

Scottay5150

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I wasn't able to use the SD card that I used in this phone, thinking I needed a newer rom. Installed: Tesla 5.1.1 ROM, TWRP 3.0.2.0, SuperSU 2.79. When I go to recovery the notification light flashes red/blue. My goal with this dinosaur is to use it for a music player, nothing else. I am no longer with VZW. Do I need a carrier to make this work? Is there a tool like I have with my N6P? What info do you need from me to make this happen? Happy Holidays!

PS: I cannot factory reset from settings, TWRP app or flashify.

TIA
Meth

Last edited:

Scottay5150

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was able to return to stock. The microSD card is formatted FAT32 it was formatted exFAT before. The phone still cannot see microSD card, what gives. I am able to see it in other hardware (WIN10 desktop and MP3 player)
What gives?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I was able to return to stock. The microSD card is formatted FAT32 it was formatted exFAT before. The phone still cannot see microSD card, what gives. I am able to see it in other hardware (WIN10 desktop and MP3 player)
What gives?

Maybe your MicroSD card slot has gone bad. There've been at least several others that have had something similar happen over the past few months. For my wife's VS985, the SIM slot just all of the sudden went bad. LG wanted $75 to repair it, it would probably be the same for the MicroSD slot since they're together.

Do you have another card to test with it just in case? Did you format it from the phone? If not I would recommend trying that.

iBolski

Another card, nothing, invisible.

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P

I'd say the SD card slot is dead then. That's what happened to mine. It would constantly unmount it and then remount it and then it would stop remounting and I wouldn't be able to see it.

Then, it just died altogether. So, that's what I'm thinking is going on with your phone. If the SD card is visible in other devices but not the G3, the SD card slot has gone bad.

I took the phone into a Cell Phone Repair (CPR+) shop and they quoted me $60 if I remember correctly, but they also said that there was a 50/50 chance that after the replacement, the phone might not turn back on. I chose to live without the SD card as I needed the phone.

LG quoted me the same price as @roirraW "edor" ehT got, and yet I would be without a phone for almost two weeks. Decided it wasn't worth it, so I lived without the SD card for over 2 weeks and then it died altogether. :crying:

Loved the G3, but loving my S7 right now.

SofaSpud

Dec 6, 2011
It seems that LG quality has gotten questionable. This G3 D851 / AT&T variant randomly dismounts the card, giving a warning against removing the card without first dismounting. Sometimes it will remount, others it won't, necessitating removal and chkdsk'ing it w/ a pc. Situation was worse with stock rom. Now running Fulmics, which seems to have improved the situation somewhat.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

iBolski

It seems that LG quality has gotten questionable. This G3 D851 / AT&T variant randomly dismounts the card, giving a warning against removing the card without first dismounting. Sometimes it will remount, others it won't, necessitating removal and chkdsk'ing it w/ a pc. Situation was worse with stock rom. Now running Fulmics, which seems to have improved the situation somewhat.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Quality or not, that's definitely a sign of the SD Slot starting to fail. When this first happened to me, I had just updated to the latest 49A OTA. Going back to 10b or even 48A appeared to fix the issue. I say appeared, because within a few weeks, it started to show up in any version of Android for the G3 I ran and it got progressively worse as time went on, until finally in December, the phone died. Whether it's a battery issue or not, I cannot say as I refuse to shell out money for a new battery (and since I now have a brand new S7 to boot).

It would be interesting to know how long this lasts for you. Again, for me, it appeared to work when I went back to older versions, but eventually, even they started to do the same thing. I think it's definitely a sign of the hardware failing.

Scottay5150

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Quality or not, that's definitely a sign of the SD Slot starting to fail. When this first happened to me, I had just updated to the latest 49A OTA. Going back to 10b or even 48A appeared to fix the issue. I say appeared, because within a few weeks, it started to show up in any version of Android for the G3 I ran and it got progressively worse as time went on, until finally in December, the phone died. Whether it's a battery issue or not, I cannot say as I refuse to shell out money for a new battery (and since I now have a brand new S7 to boot).

It would be interesting to know how long this lasts for you. Again, for me, it appeared to work when I went back to older versions, but eventually, even they started to do the same thing. I think it's definitely a sign of the hardware failing.
I think it's a hardware fail. I resurrected a note 2 from the drawer. It's going now 😬

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 😜

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another card, nothing, invisible.

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P

I'd say the SD card slot is dead then. That's what happened to mine. It would constantly unmount it and then remount it and then it would stop remounting and I wouldn't be able to see it.

Then, it just died altogether. So, that's what I'm thinking is going on with your phone. If the SD card is visible in other devices but not the G3, the SD card slot has gone bad.

I took the phone into a Cell Phone Repair (CPR+) shop and they quoted me $60 if I remember correctly, but they also said that there was a 50/50 chance that after the replacement, the phone might not turn back on. I chose to live without the SD card as I needed the phone.

LG quoted me the same price as @roirraW "edor" ehT got, and yet I would be without a phone for almost two weeks. Decided it wasn't worth it, so I lived without the SD card for over 2 weeks and then it died altogether. :crying:

Loved the G3, but loving my S7 right now.