FORUMS

Verizon to hotline all Note 7s on 1/31/2017?

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By serusaert, Member on 17th January 2017, 11:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just got this text:

FREE VZW MSG: Reminder: Your Samsung Note7 has been recalled due to an overheating risk. Because your safety is important to us, your Note7 will stop working on or about 1/31/2017. To prevent this service interruption, please immediately upgrade to a new device by visiting your original place of purchase. In addition, to avoid being charged for your Note7, please return it to the original place of purchase within 5 days. For more information, please visit go.vzw.com/note7faq

Does this mean they will hotline all remaining Note 7's based on IMEI/ID? Or is this related to another update?

Did anyone else get this?

And do we really need to return it to avoid full charge? I have read here that this is just a threat - that they can't really collect payment under recall law precedent.
17th January 2017, 11:23 PM |#2  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Funny how they reference to return it in the "box" I called twice about and never got. Bastards.
17th January 2017, 11:32 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I got this text message earlier today indicating 1/26/2017 is the date. I never received a box from VZW or Samsung either.

...I'm assuming that changing the phone's IMEI (say, to that of my broken Note3) would prevent this blacklisting/hotlining from bricking my phone's network access?
17th January 2017, 11:48 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjabber

I got this text message earlier today indicating 1/26/2017 is the date. I never received a box from VZW or Samsung either.

...I'm assuming that changing the phone's IMEI (say, to that of my broken Note3) would prevent this blacklisting/hotlining from bricking my phone's network access?

I would assume so. That is what I am doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fourstarzzzz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fourstarzzzz Ad-Free
17th January 2017, 11:58 PM |#5  
Flag Tacoma, Washington
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Ugh. I don't want to give it up! I'm on PHE and couldn't obtain root...is there anyway i can spoof my imei info or change it completely.

Sent from my Explosive Galaxy Note 7
18th January 2017, 12:04 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstarzzzz

I would assume so. That is what I am doing.

Have you been able to successfully change your IMEI thus far? The apps I've tried so far either need ROOT or don't support Samsung devices...

Found a method involving QPST (modifying the hex IMEI stored in "nv_data") but haven't tried it yet.
18th January 2017, 12:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjabber

Have you been able to successfully change your IMEI thus far? The apps I've tried so far either need ROOT or don't support Samsung devices...

Found a method involving QPST (modifying the hex IMEI stored in "nv_data") but haven't tried it yet.

That tool is from 2009 from what I see.
18th January 2017, 01:00 AM |#8  
Flag Tacoma, Washington
Thanks Meter: 2

More
You guys are out of luck...they are going to permanently hotline all outgoing calls to customer care...there is no possible way around that. I am sitting in the Verizon store right now

18th January 2017, 01:49 AM |#9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy253

You guys are out of luck...they are going to permanently hotline all outgoing calls to customer care...there is no possible way around that. I am sitting in the Verizon store right now

and the news just picked it up - with confirming details: http://fortune.com/2017/01/17/samsun...ote-7-verizon/
The Following User Says Thank You to serusaert For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift serusaert Ad-Free
18th January 2017, 01:54 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I also received this text indicating my device will be turned off on 1/31/2017. I have received constant text messages from Verizon threatening to shut down my phone, return it, or pay full retail price. It's a shame - I've already purchased the phone at full retail price from third party, so they can't charge me full price. Would they really ban the MEID of the devices off the network?
18th January 2017, 02:19 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonMan

I also received this text indicating my device will be turned off on 1/31/2017. I have received constant text messages from Verizon threatening to shut down my phone, return it, or pay full retail price. It's a shame - I've already purchased the phone at full retail price from third party, so they can't charge me full price. Would they really ban the MEID of the devices off the network?

I believe we are no longer able to use the note 7. Last chance to change it as the IMEI is but DO?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)