M9 Verizon, S-on, and Nougat - unlock with sunshine?

Search This thread

event3horizon

Mar 21, 2015
I've done a ton of research on how to unlock bootloader on my verizon M9 (f*** you verizon), and it seems only feasible option is sunshine and 25 bucks. That being said, I updated to nougat before wanting this, and I'm reading that sunshine may not be able to s-off the phone with this latest verizon update. I tried to downgrade to marshmallow v. 3.37.605.7 using RUU 0PJAIMG_HIMA_WL_M60_SENSE70_VZW_MR_VERIZON_WWE_3.37.605.7_HSM_Radio_2.15.C1144077@60105_CNV_1.26_002_release_469809_signed_1.zip and it fails using the SD card fat 32 method. Am I doing it wrong?

1) Can sunshine s-off with latest nougat update?
2) If not, is there any way to downgrade to a version that sunshine can s-off?
3) Am I screwed? No custom roms for me?

Nov 4, 2017
If you can't downgrade, Sunshine can't get temproot and thus can't s-off.

The device is old (the community has moved on long ago) so it isn't a priority for the sunshine team; when j asked, the reply was something to the effect of it not being on the radar. Hard to blame them; dev time is limited, and they can help more people focusing on other phones.

You can supposedly send it to someone with an HTC Java card or XTC2 Clip, but I can't verify that. I can verify that Kingo and similar do nothing for you. So no, no custom ROMs, no root, and you're stuck with Verizon and Google's bloatware. but

Also, be warned batteries on the M9s are dying (like, nearly all of them; if you don't have a newer battery, yours will soon), and some of them fail spectacularly if you try to charge them during/after actual death

(If you do like I did and change phones and carriers, confirm before you buy; I thought "huh, T-Mobile is good about rooting, and I've heard great things about how easy unlocking Samsungs are." It turns out one of those two has turned on us, probably Samsung, though I'm still not clear on why.)

feralicious

Jun 9, 2011
City of Angels
Also, be warned batteries on the M9s are dying (like, nearly all of them; if you don't have a newer battery, yours will soon), and some of them fail spectacularly if you try to charge them during/after actual death
When you say "some of them fail spectacularly" do you mean the battery or the phone?

I'm having battery issues but am afraid to try to change it out myself. The video looks complicated.